• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
According to that former admin tweet, she claimed Cerium bought out the rest of the shares off everyone in "late 2018". So roughly he took sole ownership around 1 year after Resetera started.

And if he's going to take on full ownership, that was a good time to do it. At that time, the message board was still in growth mode, getting settled and they didn't have all those ads and Era Clear shit which made more revenue later. So he basically scraped up all the shares at dirt cheap prices off the others and then rode off revenue generating features and a sell out when he had full control.

Nicely done. That's a business man thinking.

Yep I think some of the people who potential felt like suckers

Evilore
I rate him for sticking to his ideals and not selling to a corporation, but to have your own community go against you after you not selling up to corporations, then moving to a new community where the owner sells to a corporation is fucked.

The original mod team on Era
I don't k kwow who they are, but Emily Rogers and a few more, they promoted Era. Cerium isn't well known. Emily Rogers and the original mod team is what out a stamp on Era and is why everyone trusted and migrated to Era. Without this team Cerium wouldn't have been able to even creat this site and make it legitimate. The fact that none of them got a dime and left due to that, and finding out what they helped created made 4.5 million must be a killer. Some originals are still there which is sad.

Tech Team
Ceroum bought them out while Era was on growth mode like you stated. But this was there own doing they shouldnt have sold, but I bet when they heard the news of that 4.5 million deal they must have felt bad.

Era posters who paid for Era Clear
Many Era posters subscribed for Era Clear 5o support the community as ads and Clear were presented as a way to support the community and keep the lights on. If Ceroum was more clear and showed that Era was making 500000 a year I don't think these folks would have subbed. And I bet now they feel like suckers lol.

Current Mod team at Era and the posters there not just for a bit of entertainment but into all that community shit and leftie views
They are probably annoyed at the fact that one sole dude made a ton of money and to a corporation who go against the ideals of the website

Star-Lord

I enjoyed what I was doing and felt a responsibility to keep the torch lit. There was always such an outpouring of support from the community and the gaming industry as a whole, to keep the site going and keep it independent, appreciation from tons of indie devs for giving them a spotlight compared to the mainstream outlets. I was happy to oblige and firm in my ideals. Those ideals built the community, so there’s no reason to regret sticking with them.
And it’s for this that we, as a community, will always stand behind you. You have your beliefs, ideals, and values, and you stand by them. That shows integrity, and that’s what a forum needs in a leader, not the desire to sell out to a big corporation and run with the profits. Even when faced with adversity, you refused to back down and sell. That shows tenacity, and again that’s what a forum such as this needs in an ever-changing society. The gaming industry as a whole has been through some major shifts in the last few years, with #GamerGate and #MeToo almost bringing the industry to its knees, but NeoGAF once again persevered, and came out fighting.

It’s one reason I love this forum. There really is a sense of community, of society, of belonging. There have been many gaming forums I’ve been a part of in the past (PSU and FileFront, to name a few), but none have come anywhere close to replicating the feel of a true gaming community. We are such a large, diverse community, with people of every age, gender, and race, all coming together to share in our love for gaming. And all this, honestly, is because of you, Tyler — if you hadn’t woken up one day with the idea for a site like this, we wouldn’t be sat here now, engaging in all manner of discussions. Cerium may have the money, but you have integrity, passion, commitment, and the entire community behind you —. you’re the real winner here.

BreakOut

This proves again that people who start a revolution because of a supposed better morality, ends to be more stupid, evil, and in general way worse compared to those they want to replace. But in particular, more stupid.

These guys, Emily, Shinobi, Zhuge, they really didn't imagine a site like resetera could generate a good amount of money so it is was a smart move to invest on it? They really weren't interested in something they largely contribute to create? Because, Cerium was and still is an unknown guy, the only reason Resetera had a credibility after its creation was because people like Emily, Shinobi, maybe Wario, etc worked on it. They promoted Resetera in this way, otherwise Resetera would have been just another site, a satellite made by some people on Neogaf.
They probably got paid too. Just don’t want to say it. I can imagine anyone who was unpaid upon the coup is probably a person who got paid. They were just waiting for payday. I just don’t see any possible reasoning that this could happen other than they had the mind to sell it. “Stress selling” because you can’t run a site —on your own— and then THANKING moderators that do all the site running for you? What fucking world is that because I want to live there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As if anyone in charge of a message board is going to make it community owned with 1000s of users buying into it like an organized IPO.

tY4P22S.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep I think some of the people who potential felt like suckers

Evilore
I rate him for sticking to his ideals and not selling to a corporation, but to have your own community go against you after you not selling up to corporations, then moving to a new community where the owner sells to a corporation is fucked.

The original mod team on Era
I don't k kwow who they are, but Emily Rogers and a few more, they promoted Era. Cerium isn't well known. Emily Rogers and the original mod team is what out a stamp on Era and is why everyone trusted and migrated to Era. Without this team Cerium wouldn't have been able to even creat this site and make it legitimate. The fact that none of them got a dime and left due to that, and finding out what they helped created made 4.5 million must be a killer. Some originals are still there which is sad.

Tech Team
Ceroum bought them out while Era was on growth mode like you stated. But this was there own doing they shouldnt have sold, but I bet when they heard the news of that 4.5 million deal they must have felt bad.

Era posters who paid for Era Clear
Many Era posters subscribed for Era Clear 5o support the community as ads and Clear were presented as a way to support the community and keep the lights on. If Ceroum was more clear and showed that Era was making 500000 a year I don't think these folks would have subbed. And I bet now they feel like suckers lol.

Current Mod team at Era and the posters there not just for a bit of entertainment but into all that community shit and leftie views
They are probably annoyed at the fact that one sole dude made a ton of money and to a corporation who go against the ideals of the website
All the mods the past few days willing to chime in seem sticking to their virtuous "I work for free" viewpoint. Hey, at least Nepenthe is honest enough to try making a couple bucks off that donation page he set up yesterday at 10 pm.

No doubt all the mods (and users too) are embarrassed. Many wont care because they are smart enough to know money talks. But the ones who took the site whole to heart as some kind of righteous website against corporate profits just got slapped in the face and they know it.

But you got to put up the brave front to still look like Robin Hood because if any mods openly claim they deserve a piece of Cerium's $4.5M buy out or annual profits he's been stashing the past years, it'll make them look like greedy bums looking for mucho monero too. So all that "it's not for the money" would be all a lie.

You'd think with their viewpoints about corporations being greedy and not paying workers enough would make them steaming mad the owner took the whole bag of cash (even Burger King pays min wage), but to save face they got to keep up the phoniness.

If Cerium magically showed up and said he'd give each mod a chunk of money, I bet every one of them would take it.

BreakOut

He didn’t really come up with any idea. He ripped off NeoGAF pixel for pixel, said a few fancy words about it being a more ‘socially free’ forum, and then, once a user base had been installed, changed his mind and reverted to authoritarian mode. There are no real winners here. The mods got duped into working for free, the user base is full of known sex offenders and creeps (I’m really not understanding why this isn’t a bigger issue), and the owner is a lying, cheating, pedophile-sympathising scumbag. Tell me, why should we be celebrating this in any shape or form?
Yeah it was straight theft. Most work done was changing the name.

KAL2006

Banned
All the mods the past few days willing to chime in seem sticking to their virtuous "I work for free" viewpoint. Hey, at least Nepenthe is honest enough to try making a couple bucks off that donation page he set up yesterday at 10 pm.

No doubt all the mods (and users too) are embarrassed. Many wont care because they are smart enough to know money talks. But the ones who took the site whole to heart as some kind of righteous website against corporate profits just got slapped in the face and they know it.

But you got to put up the brave front to still look like Robin Hood because if any mods openly claim they deserve a piece of Cerium's $4.5M buy out or annual profits he's been stashing the past years, it'll make them look like greedy bums looking for mucho monero too. So all that "it's not for the money" would be all a lie.

You'd think with their viewpoints about corporations being greedy and not paying workers enough would make them steaming mad the owner took the whole bag of cash (even Burger King pays min wage), but to save face they got to keep up the phoniness.

If Cerium magically showed up and said he'd give each mod a chunk of money, I bet every one of them would take it.

It will be hard to keep the charade going now though.

New news workers not getting paid by overpaid CEO
Someone can shitpist well it's like Era Ceroum didn't pay and made a ton of money.

New news Activision Blizzard abuse a dude at work etc etc
Somone can shitpost isn't our sister site a Blizzard fan forum

Basically they are fucked in surpsied it hasn't imploded yet the fact that NeoGAF can implode over just a guy trying it on with a girl while Era is taking longer to implode over someone lieing and making money over the political ideals of why the forum got created is crazy. Where the fuck are the self ban threads that should be appearing on gaming and off topic, has Era just realised they are a joke lol.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Someone can shitpist well it's like Era Ceroum didn't pay and made a ton of money.

Basically they are fucked in surpsied it hasn't imploded yet the fact that NeoGAF can implode over just a guy trying it on with a girl while Era is taking longer to implode over someone lieing and making money over the political ideals of why the forum got created is crazy. Where the fuck are the self ban threads that should be appearing on gaming and off topic, has Era just realised they are a joke lol.

Just wait until their new owners mandate that the forum allows anyone with a MFN account to post.

Going to be GLORIOUS.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

Or they understand they can't go anywhere and they are terrified of leaving their safe space.

Buggy Loop

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Also, the new CEO is board of director for gambling sites.

Gambling has to be the most greedy money grubbing industry out there, and Resetera's glorious new leader spends time on that. Cant wait to hear users and mods rag on Bjorn Mannerqvist for being the face of supporting gambling addicts.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

Gambling has to be the most greedy money grubbing industry out there, and Resetera's glorious new leader spends time on that. Cant wait to hear users and mods rag on Bjorn Mannerqvist for being the face of supporting gambling addicts.

Their fragile little brains are going to short circuit from all the mental gymnastics they need to do to be able to justify still posting there.

Banjo64

cumsessed

KAL2006

Banned

Does anyone her have any Era alt accounts.

I got a new thread idea for gaming side.

Thread title.
In honour of our new owners of ResetEra what is the most unfair gambling mechanic in games that can get users addicted and make a ton of money.

Thread OP
As we all know Cerium sold ResetErs for 4.5 million to a owner of multiple gambling sites. What's the most abusive gambling mechanic in games and which games do you think are getting hooked on these mechanics.

killatopak

Gold Member
I don’t even understand wtf is going on there.. TL:DR? How did they manage to turn a media create sales thread into fucking drama?
rampant trolling of the thread in a long time without moderation.
OP argues with somebody.
Mod claps back to shut op down by saying you need to read and write Japanese to understand.
Mod says the thread was being watched carefully for some time now.
OP sarcastically says to someone else his opinion doesn’t matter unless you understand Japanese.
OP gets banned for trolling.
Mob gets mad for banning the OP when trolling has been happening for a long time without action then they decide to ban OP now without past trollers getting their due.
Mod closes thread for reviews and reopens shortly after.
A person then leaks the DMs of the mod gloating about shutting up OP.
Chaos ensues
Mods try to explain.
Mob argues the previous regular OP of MCC got permanently banned due to off site comments on Twitter.
Another DMs leak from another mod calling MCC posters cunts and got what they deserved.
CHAOS
Thread gets shut down

Starfield

what is a GAF

Is it like MAST? The Military, Administrative and Scientific Triumvirate from Starfield?

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
It was glorious.

OukfrqZ.jpg

Is that masterful trolling or someone who just spent too much time in that insane asylum?

You DO remember Lamptramp for the previous ree topic right?He's a larping troll. He created a backstory of secretly transitioning at home during lockdown while his wife was out at work. Making up stories of how his daughter would put on makeup to make daddy pretty and how he'd burst into tears. (Like any kid would not mention that to her mum at some point). There was more of course. crying, crying over everything is a big part of the larp.

nTeF8ky.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom