• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

Jilt

Where there is hope there is life, but you're dreaming, man.

The fact Logitech and Fanatec wheels aren't supported on the PS4 has everything to do with the patent protected Immersion technologies they're sporting.
Until the patents expire by the end of 2015, there's no hope of seeing them supported unless Logitech, Fanatec or Sony are willing to pay for dedicated PS4 licenses. Which none of them seems ready to do.

In the same time, Thrustmaster either have a better deal with Immersion, or they are willing to pay for these licenses. That's why the T100 is compatible.

You're probably right, still not buying a Thrustmaster though!

Philly40

There does seem to be merit to the security chip requirement. The ps4 requires ps4 controllers to say "I'm a ps4 controller" every 30 seconds. After 8 minutes of this handshake failing the console disconnects the controller. This has been a problem for 3rd party devices to date.

It's still massively confusing - for a 3rd party manufacturer to be able to claim "PS4 compatibility" then they obviously need to conform to Sony standards, but older peripherals are already working on games like War Thunder (peripherals that were released in the PS2 era, which certainly don't have a "PS4 security chip")

le-seb

There does seem to be merit to the security chip requirement. The ps4 requires ps4 controllers to say "I'm a ps4 controller" every 30 seconds. After 8 minutes of this handshake failing the console disconnects the controller. This has been a problem for 3rd party devices to date.
It's not true, though.
It's been debunked by Philly40.

le-seb

OT but where's your avatar from? I remember seeing that image on the cover of one of my dad's book when I was a kid and it was creeping me out lol.
That's Yves Montand playing in L'aveu (The Confession), a Costa Gavras' movie based on Artur London's autobiographical novel.
It's one of the first films I remember seeing as a kid, and yeah, it also frightened me at the time.

I wanted to use the little dude from Stealth Inc. as my GAF avatar, but Viveks86 already used it.
So this is some kind of a fallback avatar. ;)

And in a way, the goggles and the rope recall me that I shouldn't be blinded by my own ideas, otherwise the things I say could cost me a ban.

It's not true, though.
It's been debunked by Philly40.

The handshake does occur with the ps4 controller. Devices like the controllermax haven't been able to avoid this in an elegant way. Unofficial 3rd party devices may work in some capacity but after the 8 minutes the device gets disconnected.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The handshake does occur with the ps4 controller. Devices like the controllermax haven't been able to avoid this in an elegant way. Unofficial 3rd party devices may work in some capacity but after the 8 minutes the device gets disconnected.

Has anyone tried playing war thunder with a DFGT or rock band guitar for more than 8 minutes?

le-seb

What do you mean by unofficial 3rd party devices?

Philly40 has tested several devices in War Thunder, and they still worked correctly after 8 minutes.
Thrustmaster's T100 and T500-RS racing wheels don't embed a security chip, and are officially supported in both DriveClub and Project Cars.

So, devices may need to embed a security chip for being rewarded the title of 'official PS4 device', but missing one doesn't mean they cannot work on the PS4 if developers decide to.

Also, you could have read the link I've provided before arguing.

What do you mean by unofficial 3rd party devices?

Philly40 has tested several devices in War Thunder, and they still worked correctly after 8 minutes.
Thrustmaster's T100 and T300-RS racing wheels don't embed a security chip, and are officially supported in both DriveClub and Project Cars.

So, devices may need to embed a security chip for being rewarded the title of 'official PS4 device', but missing one doesn't mean they cannot work on the PS4 if developers decide to.

Are you sure it was longer than 8 minutes? Unofficial meaning without the official stamp from Sony.

Sony could be blocking certain hardware ids even. The only real way to be sure what's going on is to "sniff" the communication between the various devices and ps4, but I think that would be against the rules here.

Edit: I'm not arguing, just spreading my knowledge on the subject (related to the official ps4 controller)

le-seb

Are you sure it was longer than 8 minutes?
What about you follow my link and read what Philly40 has to say?
Hint : you may have to click the other link to get the whole picture.

Edit : to my knowledge, the only thing devices not embedding the security chip will miss on the PS4 is the PS button functionality.

What about you follow my link and read what Philly40 has to say?
Hint : you may have to click the other link to get the whole picture.

Edit : to my knowledge, the only thing devices not embedding the security chip will miss on the PS4 is the PS button functionality.

Thanks for the hint ;)

If your theory is correct, then why would certain controllers and wheels not work? My guess would be blocking certain hardware ids.

Again my knowledge is only of the ps4 controller handshake. Perhaps I will have to investigate this further to see how it differs from old controllers.

Edit: If anyone else had USB controllers that worked on the ps3, please report back.

Megasoum

Banned
That's Yves Montand playing in L'aveu (The Confession), a Costa Gavras' movie based on Artur London's autobiographical novel.
It's one of the first films I remember seeing as a kid, and yeah, it also frightened me at the time.

I wanted to use the little dude from Stealth Inc. as my GAF avatar, but Viveks86 already used it.
So this is some kind of a fallback avatar. ;)

And in a way, the goggles and the rope recall me that I shouldn't be blinded by my own ideas, otherwise the things I say could cost me a ban.

Ah that's it. Thanks!

le-seb

If your theory is correct, then why would certain controllers and wheels not work? My guess would be blocking certain hardware ids.
It seems like an additional USB layer in the PS4 SDK prevents unofficial devices from being recognised as native devices, and thus functional in any game, but developers are free to implement the legacy USB HID layer in their games.

That's why you can play War Thunder with a fight stick, or a Logitech wheel, if you wish: they did implement all the required parts in the game.
And it's also why your PS3 fight stick is useless in Injustice: they didn't.

I don't think any more that devices are white listed by Sony using their hardware ids.
Otherwise, you probably wouldn't be able to use a PS2 era device on the PS4.

Now, we also strongly suspect that patent licensing issues pertaining to the force feedback technology used in the Logitech wheels are what's preventing them from being officially supported in games like DriveClub and Project Cars.

Whatever, the special thing with regular controllers is that you probably expect them to work in any circumstances, and not only from within a game. In this case you're really out of luck and your device must embed the new security chip.

ITT, however, we're focusing on racing wheels which aren't devices you really want to use to control your system. We've also been talking about flight sticks, fight sticks and other Rockband plastic instruments because they're all concrete proofs that there's nothing really preventing legacy USB devices to work on the PS4, as long as devs want to support them.

MGR

Until the patents expire by the end of 2015, there's no hope of seeing them supported unless Logitech, Fanatec or Sony are willing to pay for dedicated PS4 licenses. Which none of them seems ready to do.

I hadn't realised the patents expired so soon. (30th November 2015, yeah?)

No wonder they haven't got their shit together. Every day Sony delays paying licencing royalties is another day closer to completely devaluing Immersion's patents. I can't see them bothering for Driveclub either. They'll just delay, obfuscate and bullshit their way through the next 12 months or so.

MGR

The way you're rejecting the fault on Sony is so cute!
Thanks for the laugh.

Not sure if you're insinuating with this condescending comment that I'm blaming Immersion for the lack of Logitech support, or if you meant to say I'm blaming Sony.

Either way, you'd be wrong.

le-seb

Not sure if you're insinuating with this condescending comment that I'm blaming Immersion for the lack of Logitech support, or if you meant to say I'm blaming Sony.

Either way, you'd be wrong.
Looks like you're blaming Sony there, though :
Every day Sony delays paying licencing royalties is another day closer to completely devaluing Immersion's patents. I can't see them bothering for Driveclub either. They'll just delay, obfuscate and bullshit their way through the next 12 months or so.

kriskrosbbk

Anyone here have any feedback of Thrustmaster T80 and PS4?
I know its a low class ,but is it any good?
Also is there any difference between T80 and T80 Driveclub edition.
Is it only the logo on the wheel?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone here have any feedback of Thrustmaster T80 and PS4?
I know its a low class ,but is it any good?
Also is there any difference between T80 and T80 Driveclub edition.
Is it only the logo on the wheel?

T80 is a non-force feedback wheel that just uses bungee cords to provide a simple sprung 'return to centre'. Very low class. You can get a T100 for not much more.

Yes, (Driving Force Pro rather than DFGT though) -

they both work, and for longer than eight minutes

great. Thanks for the clarification. Seems the security thing is just something that is required for 'official PS4 accessory' status or something like that, and needed for the PS button to work. I don't know why this is so complicated - somebody get Rapier a logitech wheel to try out - he has an early release of the retail driveclub.

Is the Thrustmaster T100 a good option now? I see it online for about $130 - 140. I wanted to get a wheel that at least has force feedback, but doesn't break the bank. Something like the Driving Force GT, but that will also work for PS4. I know the T100 isn't officially compatible, but according to the Drive Club and Project Cars devs, it will be compatible with their games. The only thing I'm worried about is if GT7 comes along and the T100 isn't compatible. Do you think this would be a safe bet, based on what I'm looking for? I would get the T300, but $400 is too much for me.

MGR

Looks like you're blaming Sony there, though :

There is not enough information to lay the blame at anybody as to why the deal has not been done. Maybe Sony are being unreasonable, maybe Immersion. But I can understand why Sony would delay making a deal because the value of the Immersion TouchSense licensing diminishes each day closer to the patent expiry date.

However I DO hold Sony accountable for the way in which they've communicated with their customers as to the future direction of Logitech wheel support.

"We love racing with wheels and will add more into DRIVECLUB as and when they become compatible with PS4"

This is deliberately worded to give the impression that they're working on Logitech support without actually saying they are working on Logitech support. They may have absolutely no intention of giving Immersion any more money and that statement is still accurate.

I also don't rule out the prospect of Thrustmaster having an exclusivity deal either because even if they did, I can't see them shouting about it from the rooftops. Can you imagine?

"Hey guys, Thrustmater here! We're the reason your Logitech wheels aren't supported! So chuck that perfectly good G27 in the bin and buy our $500 wheel."

le-seb

So you're part of the people who think Sony should support Logitech wheels because Logitech won't.
Don't hold your breath because that won't happen.

ruttyboy

Can't say what other wheels will work with it? So my G27 will work the War Thunder way? Rushy pls!

Post something so I can order the Driveclub bundle.

He means he can't say which other games the T100 would work with as, presumably, it's one of the wheels that has to be coded per game and he can only speak for Driveclub.

What a fucking mess this whole thing is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
He means he can't say which other games the T100 would work with as, presumably, it's one of the wheels that has to be coded per game and he can only speak for Driveclub.

What a fucking mess this whole thing is.

How differently do old wheels 'talk' to the PS4? Presumably the T100 and T500 will be acting like PS3 wheels, so the PS4 will be polling them differently to 'official' PS4 wheels. If that is the case, is it possible it'll pick up a DFGT/G25/G27 by default? Perhaps without FFB but just as an input?

Noticed that amazon UK increased the price of the T300RS to £300. I have it preordered at £249 so will be keeping that for a while but I'm increasingly thinking I can't justify it. T300 GTE edition (same but with a ferrari wheel) is still £239 for preorder - in case any of you are tempted and want to lock in that price in case Amazon increase it..

MGR

So you're part of the people who think Sony should support Logitech wheels because Logitech won't.
Don't hold your breath because that won't happen.

No. I'm saying Sony should be more up front with their customers instead of giving false hope with their weasel worded PR statements.

ThatZedWord

Neo Member
The T300RS isn't even available for a pre-order in the US. Thrustmaster doesn't even have a date released. First it was the end of August, then the end of September, and now they say sometime in October. As someone looking to purchase a new wheel, the erroding confidence due to Thrustmasters inability to even release a product properly is making it very hard for me to want to trust them with a $400 purchase.

With Driveclub releasing next week, PS4 users are left with a non FFB wheel or two other Thrustmaster legacy wheels that aren't even guaranteed future game support. What a huge cock-up and horrible communication.

Anyone know of a good place to get the T3PA pedals online besides Amazon? I have an order in with Amazon, but they do not know when more are arriving. I'd really like to be able to use the clutch with the TH8A shifter I got last week...

ValfarHL

Reading the OP, it seems some Thrustmaster models is officially supported, but it just seems Evolution went the extra mile for perfect compatibility with Driveclub.

I just ordered the T500 for use with Driveclub, but do I understand it correctly that there is no guarantee it will work with future PS4 titles? If so, I will cancel my order, and play Driveclub with a controller.

Sony, fix this shit! :(

stitch512

Banned
Fanatec now officially supporting Xbox One, sounds like there will be a small amount of backwards compatibility with xbox 360 gear as well.

Taken from Fanatec Facebook page
Landshut, Germany – 3.10.2014 – This is the announcement many people have been waiting for and we are happy to announce that Endor AG (the company behind the brand Fanatec) and Microsoft Corp. have closed a license agreement to make racing peripherals for the Xbox One.
Fanatec plans to release a broad line up of racing wheels which will fit all kind of racing styles and different budgets.
Xbox One brings the latest in innovation and power to the development of racing peripherals giving fans of Fanatec products the opportunity to play the newest Xbox One titles with full support and integration.
Available soon, fans will be able to enable Xbox One compatibility on their current Fanatec wheels by simply attaching them to a Fanatec wheel base, making their whole system compatible to Xbox One. Additional details and features will be announced soon.
Additional Fanatec peripherals like pedals, shifters or handbrakes that were purchased with an Xbox 360 will also be compatible with Xbox One. The modular configuration system in the Fanatec webshop allows you to purchase only the components you need.

Thomas Jackermeier, CEO of Endor/Fanatec: “I am very excited to announce this partnership as we have been working with Microsoft behind the scenes on new and exciting products. Xbox One and “Forza Motorsport” will continue to be a landmark of ultra-realistic racing simulations on any gaming console and we look forward to bringing this realism to a whole new level for our fans.”

Denur

I bought the T300RS this week to replace my broken T500RS and am quite impressed with it (while playing GT6). What I don't like about it, is that the wheel gets so sticky, that I need gloves to use it. Is this normal with the T300RS, or might something be wrong with my wheel?

ps3ud0

Fanatec now officially supporting Xbox One, sounds like there will be a small amount of backwards compatibility with xbox 360 gear as well.

Taken from Fanatec Facebook page
Kinda what we already knew - Fanatec are gonna sell a new XO wheel while existing pedals/gear stick/etc can be connected to it without issue.

Not a great way to be compatible but I guess you'll save a bit of money reusing those accessories.

ps3ud0 8)

I was going to pull the trigger on a new wheel for my xbox one this weekend but I'll wait a little bit now to see this new wheel because I've still got my old set on my 360.

Mascot

Available soon, fans will be able to enable Xbox One compatibility on their current Fanatec wheels by simply attaching them to a Fanatec wheel base, making their whole system compatible to Xbox One

This tells me in no uncertain terms that my GT2 will work with the Bone.

Big news if true.

what a disaster this has been. So sucky. Sony I want to use my G27 on PS4 and I don't want it to be a huge hassel for devs. WTF is wrong with you people at sony. You expect me to give a shit about GT7 when I can't even use my existing USB HARDWARE. ALL YALL

This tells me in no uncertain terms that my GT2 will work with the Bone.

Big news if true.

It is poorly worded. When they say attach wheels to the base, most likely they are talking to people who bought the CSR elite which had a removable wheel rim. So for those few they can buy the club sport V2 and not have to purchase an additional wheel rim.

Now if its the literal translation its the craziest thing I have ever heard. Would you sit the clubsport V2 base on the floor next to your rig and hook it up that way? And why spend that much when you could buy a whole new wheel/pedal set for that price without this nightmare of a solution?

Edit: this is what they have on their actual website
Landshut, Germany – 3.10.2014 – This is the announcement many people have been waiting for and we are happy to announce that Endor AG (the company behind the brand Fanatec) and Microsoft Corp. have closed a license agreement to make racing peripherals for the Xbox One.
Fanatec plans to release a broad line up of racing wheels which will fit all kind of racing styles and different budgets.
Xbox One brings the latest in innovation and power to the development of racing peripherals giving fans of Fanatec products the opportunity to play the newest Xbox One titles with full support and integration.
Available soon, fans will be able to enable Xbox One compatibility on their Fanatec wheel bases by simply attaching an Xbox One steering wheel to an Xbox One enabled Fanatec wheel base (like the ClubSport Wheel Base V2), making their whole system compatible to Xbox One. Additional details and features will be announced soon.
Additional Fanatec peripherals like pedals, shifters or handbrakes that were purchased with an Xbox 360 will also be compatible with Xbox One. The modular configuration system in the Fanatec webshop allows you to purchase only the components you need.

Thomas Jackermeier, CEO of Endor/Fanatec: “I am very excited to announce this partnership as we have been working with Microsoft behind the scenes on new and exciting products. Xbox One and “Forza Motorsport” will continue to be a landmark of ultra-realistic racing simulations on any gaming console and we look forward to bringing this realism to a whole new level for our fans.”

Jilt

I bought the T300RS this week to replace my broken T500RS and am quite impressed with it (while playing GT6). What I don't like about it, is that the wheel gets so sticky, that I need gloves to use it. Is this normal with the T300RS, or might something be wrong with my wheel?

I think this happened to the T500RS When it was new, atleast when I got hold of it, that was the first thing I noticed. So I guess it is just a matter of time for it to ga away?

How about that wheel, is it worth buying? Do you use t8 shifter? Which pedals?
Review??!!

Insane Metal

Gold Member
The owner of the store which sold me Driveclub said he saw a dude playing NFS Rivals on PS4 with a G27 using an adapter, I'm thinking it's the adapter we saw in another thread here... 'max' something.

Would be nice if anyone with Driveclub could test it!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The owner of the store which sold me Driveclub said he saw a dude playing NFS Rivals on PS4 with a G27 using an adapter, I'm thinking it's the adapter we saw in another thread here... 'max' something.

Would be nice if anyone with Driveclub could test it!

There's no functional FFB with that adapter, it's utter useless

Top Bottom