• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

Number45

Is there a comparison of the features between the two wheels somewhere? I take it the T500 doesn't have the full PS4 integration?

QaaQer

I've cheekily sneaked a T300 RS + wheel stand pro onto my birthday wish list for the end of the month. Holding off on playing any more Driveclub in anticipation
and probably eventual disappointment

Make sure that the accelerator works. My T80 only went up to around 95% fully depressed, kinda don't trust TM products now, which is too bad because that's all for ps4.

Is there a comparison of the features between the two wheels somewhere? I take it the T500 doesn't have the full PS4 integration?

PS4 specific buttons don't work, T500 has some fixed paddles and the pedals are better. T300 uses a brushless motor, a little faster, less drag and slightly less strength.

Number45

Make sure that the accelerator works. My T80 only went up to around 95% fully depressed, kinda don't trust TM products now, which is too bad because that's all for ps4.
Making the assumption that it comes off, I'll check this thanks. How did you manage to confirm?

PS4 specific buttons don't work, T500 has some fixed paddles and the pedals are better. T300 uses a brushless motor, a little faster, less drag and slightly less strength.
Cool, thanks. Maybe if I can find a reasonable price for the T500 I'll look into it (I assume I can just use the DS4 for navigation anyway). A quick glance on Amazon shows the price difference is around £50, and the T300 isn't cheap to start with.

So guys, what should i do? Going to the USA next month, and since i'm there i was thinking about buying a new wheel... should i go with the TR500?

What's the best place to look for? I know best buys and gamestops are not good o have that kind of item on the shelves...

paskowitz

So guys, what should i do? Going to the USA next month, and since i'm there i was thinking about buying a new wheel... should i go with the TR500?

What's the best place to look for? I know best buys and gamestops are not good o have that kind of item on the shelves...

Sometimes Microcenter has them for cheap. Otherwise, wait until "black friday".

Number45

There's no difference between the vanilla T300RS and the Ferrari version right? Can't decide which branding I prefer. :/ Is there any precedence for one type of branding holding more value over the other?

I think Fry's carries them in store if you happen to be going to California or Texas (or a few other select States). They may be the only place right now to do so actually. Full price however... Maybe you could find some kind of discount coupon.

There's no difference between the vanilla T300RS and the Ferrari version right? Can't decide which branding I prefer. :/ Is there any precedence for one type of branding holding more value over the other?

Ferrari and PS rim are the same quality (good) but the Ferrari rim's button layout is confusing, had to stick stickers over the labels.

Number45

Thrustmaster T300 RS Official Force Feedback wheel (PS4/PS3/PC DVD)"
Estimated arrival date: November 22 2014 - December 01 2014

!

So it seems SOMEONE wants me to buy the T500RS instead. I understand the pedals are much better and that the wheel is slightly worse - do we know in what way? I think I read that the T300 feels smoother (brush-less motors) - but do I lose any practical functionality aside from the PS4 special button support (which I assume I can just use a connected DS4 for anyway)? I assume they both support the same range of motion?

I'm fucked anyway, because my Wheel Stand Pro has already shipped and it looks as though they have different models for the T300 and T500.

Is everyone using wheelstand pros here? I do game at my desk but unfortunately my desk has a drawer making it too thick for the built in mount. I'm sure the wheelstand pro is fantastic but I'd rather not spend another $200 after just spending $400.

GHG

Gold Member
Is everyone using wheelstand pros here? I do game at my desk but unfortunately my desk has a drawer making it too thick for the built in mount. I'm sure the wheelstand pro is fantastic but I'd rather not spend another $200 after just spending $400.

I had a WSP when I had my G27. It was fantastic, folds away nicely as well so that you can put it somewhere discreet. Highly recommend getting one. It's the best all round solution for wheels that isn't too pricey.

Number45

My stand arrived, shame I'm stuck waiting for the wheel to launch here. But I'm going to take the advice of the lovely guy from WSP and wait for the T300RS. If I find the pedals *that* bad I can buy the T3PA for about £90.

Yeah WSP is a great buy, the chrome bits on the centre post have become weirdly tarnished where I lift it up, dunno if that's permanent though.

Providing the centre post isn't being raised you can cable tie most of the wires down too and keep it all nice and tidy.

Watched the Classic Game Room review on the Steel Battalion controller last night and was wondering why there wasn't a restriction on the button count back then, there's something like 40 buttons, the sticks, what looks like a rotary controller and some other stuff going on.

The Xbox One wheels really could do with at least an analogue stick to look around and there's not nearly enough buttons.

Philly40

I've just noticed that a new version of Rocksmith was released for the next-gen consoles and that it is compatible with the original USB cable (included with the game when it was released in 2011 - highly unlikely to have a "security chip")

I think now at this point it's safe to say that the peripherals that platform owners can make money off (wheels and arcade sticks) will never have proper backward compatibility -

The more niche peripherals like the rocksmith cable and HOTAS devices will probably be fine.

It will be interesting if anyone tries to re-introduce the Guitar Hero/ Rock Band franchises and whether the old instruments would be supported.

Jilt

I am still not convinced that there won't be support in game for the Fanatec and/or Logitech wheels. That window is still open!!

It is not very likely, but it is still a slight possibility!

Good article. It kind of summarizes all the stuff we've been putting together in this thread.

Basically, it's system level stuff that the chips are needed for. For functionality the compatibility has to be coded into the game. It blows because other than Skullgirls' compatibility with fightsticks, I really don't see any racing game developers willing to part with their wheel drivers for free. They have too much riding on endorsements and crap to care about old wheel compatibility. One version of the T500RS comes with Gran Turismo branding. I don't think Sony is going to give up the free money to make us happy. In fact even though the drivers for those PS3 fightsticks have been released, I'll be legitimately shocked if Street Fighter V has PS3 fightstick compatibility.

Manufacturers only care about our needs as long as it gives them more money.

Tendo

I'm interested in a FFB wheel for the xbox one for FH2 - any suggestions other than the 350 dollar thrustmaster?

There's the Mad Catz wheel but I don't think it's as good as the Thrustmaster. Horizon is great on a wheel, the force feedback is better done than Forza 5 and ISR say The Crew plays really well with it too.

If you spend enough time playing racing games it's worth saving for imo.

Atleast it will feel like $800+ in your hands.. Or you can get TS at $350, which will feel like $20 in your hands.

Not really, once the rim has been swapped out I'd say it's almost as nice as the CSRE which cost me twice as much. Better in some ways too.

Thinking back the CSRE was £550 vs the TX at £230. The TX's plasticy creaking is the only give away of it's price range imo.

paskowitz

Not really, once the rim has been swapped out I'd say it's almost as nice as the CSRE which cost me twice as much. Better in some ways too.

Thinking back the CSRE was £550 vs the TX at £230. The TX's plasticy creaking is the only give away of it's price range imo.

Modding the Thrustmaster's is not difficult. I don't have a link handy but I have even seen a 3D printed mounting bracket for the quick release system they employ that accepts 3rd party wheels (momo, sparco, etc). So if you do not like the quality, you do have options.

Cheers that sounds like a great little project, I'd love a full sized rim. PC use would be ok but buttons on the Xbox would need a box to house them

Have you got a date for the CSW v2 yet?

florin3k3

I bought the t300rs for my ps4 to play driveclub (and any future racing games) and I have to admit I was quite disappointed. This is the first wheel I've ever bought so I don't know if they're all pretty much the same or not. I was expecting it to be like driving in real life and that was certainly not the case. I don't know if it's the lack of all the extra sensory input you get in real life like feeling the acceleration, braking, g forces in general but it was completely different than expected. Also, the pedals feel very awkward when pressed IMO. they seem to need too much force to get them moving and for about 70% of the pressing of the pedal down nothing happens and then you have the last 30% which can be hard to get right.
The more I drove the better I got but it was more the case of me adapting to how the wheel and pedals worked than it feeling natural. Hope that makes sense.
It is fun but definitely not what I was expecting and not worth $400 imo.
I don't know exactly how it works so I'm not sure if playing on a different game like project cars would be a totally different experience.
I noticed the wheel settings were pretty basic in driveclub with no adjustment of dead zone or stuff like that so Maybe it's game specific (hopefully)
Will wait for another racing game before I competely make up my mind.
I wonder if the t500 would be any different...
Haven't read relies yet so I apologiz in advance if these issues have already been addressed :)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I bought the t300rs for my ps4 to play driveclub (and any future racing games) and I have to admit I was quite disappointed. This is the first wheel I've ever bought so I don't know if they're all pretty much the same or not. I was expecting it to be like driving in real life and that was certainly not the case. I don't know if it's the lack of all the extra sensory input you get in real life like feeling the acceleration, braking, g forces in general but it was completely different than expected. Also, the pedals feel very awkward when pressed IMO. they seem to need too much force to get them moving and for about 70% of the pressing of the pedal down nothing happens and then you have the last 30% which can be hard to get right.
The more I drove the better I got but it was more the case of me adapting to how the wheel and pedals worked than it feeling natural. Hope that makes sense.
I don't know exactly how it works so I'm not sure if playing on a different game like project cars would be a totally different experience.
I noticed the wheel settings were pretty basic in driveclub with no adjustment of dead zone or stuff like that so Maybe it's game specific (hopefully)
Haven't read relies yet so I apologiz in advance if these issues have already been addressed :)

As mentioned, try a more sim styled racer. GT5&6 and Ferrari/Supercar Challenge are fantastic with the wheel. In fact imo Ferrari Challenge was underrated.
On PC you have plenty of sims to try with two of my favs being GP Legends
although old now but tonnes of support out there and Parypus' Nascar.

I shake my head whenever someone mentions using a wheel with an arcade racer, those games ate designed for pads first and foremost and using a wheel will give you similar experiences to what you've had with DC.

florin3k3

As mentioned, try a more sim styled racer. GT5&6 and Ferrari/Supercar Challenge are fantastic with the wheel. In fact imo Ferrari Challenge was underrated.
On PC you have plenty of sims to try with two of my favs being GP Legends
although old now but tonnes of support out there and Parypus' Nascar.

I shake my head whenever someone mentions using a wheel with an arcade racer, those games ate designed for pads first and foremost and using a wheel will give you similar experiences to what you've had with DC.

I thought it might be because of game but I saw a review by ISR of the t300 with driveclub and they said the wheel handles really nice. I guess they factored in that it wasn't a sim when they said that. Thanks for clearing that up

I had the exact same reaction when trying my friend's racing cockpit (with Logitech G27) for GT6. For me it's different enough from really driving a car that it actually feels worse to me than just using a controller (the uncanny valley situation I guess). I'm sure you'd get used to it and come to enjoy it for what it actually is, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that sort of money for that sort of experience.

i_max

Neo Member
I have had a the G27 for PC and PS3 whole of last gen, and I just sold it and got the T300, it is much quieter then the G27. The FFB is also much smoother.

You can select on the fly wheel rotation settings which is neat. Modular system also means you can buy H Gearing and better pedals, I'll be buying the pedals some time in the future, for now I have the F1 wheel add on as an extra.

If you're are deciding for which wheel to get for the PS4, it should be the T300, the FFB is next generation better then T500, using a brush less motor. Although the pedals don't go with the $400 price tag but then the T500 was $500+.

i_max

Neo Member

Having had a wheel for more then 4 years now, I hate to break it to you, but nothing ever will come close to a real car in any game period. What you will feel though are the curbs, the cars over/under steer moments, loading of tires from wheel, which is enough to drive in sim racing.

In a real car our back picks up feedback for the entire car, the steering really only gives us front tires loading feel. So the system of delivery itself is flawed to begin with. But I can tell you compared to most other wheels this is a really good wheel at its price point if you're thinking about a T500, that would be a downgrade.

Tendo

Alright, I know I just posted asking about the Thrustmaster for xbox one but I'm new to this whole race wheel thing. I'm assuming the ffb model can't just sit on a coffee table?

I currently game in my living room with a coffee table that is shorter than my couch in front of me. Would this wheel and pedal set not be an option for me?

I dont really want to get a wheel that doesn't have ffb but I'm not sure if that is an option in my current setup. I am not going to make a dedicated racing chair/setup. Just want a wheel with ffb that I can pull out once and awhile.

This isn't going to work how I want it to, is it?

I used to use mine on an IKEA Lack table. It was usuable but screwed my back up leaning forward to play. A dedicated wheel stand is far better and not that expensive.

Far easier to pack away too as it's bolted together, just unplug and fold it up.

i_max

Neo Member
Alright, I know I just posted asking about the Thrustmaster for xbox one but I'm new to this whole race wheel thing. I'm assuming the ffb model can't just sit on a coffee table?

I currently game in my living room with a coffee table that is shorter than my couch in front of me. Would this wheel and pedal set not be an option for me?

I dont really want to get a wheel that doesn't have ffb but I'm not sure if that is an option in my current setup. I am not going to make a dedicated racing chair/setup. Just want a wheel with ffb that I can pull out once and awhile.

This isn't going to work how I want it to, is it?

It can work but if its not rigid enough, good chance it will shake and make the whole experience worse. I used to bolt it on my computer table, which worked fine for a few years. I have just finally got a chair, sort of, its called the playseat challenge, but for the money and flexibility its pretty good, you can essentially fold the chair along with the wheel and pedals, put it in a closet.

Tendo

It can work but if its not rigid enough, good chance it will shake and make the whole experience worse. I used to bolt it on my computer table, which worked fine for a few years. I have just finally got a chair, sort of, its called the playseat challenge, but for the money and flexibility its pretty good, you can essentially fold the chair along with the wheel and pedals, put it in a closet.

Hmmm. I might have to look into that. I looked at the wheelstand pro and like it but I'm not sure if it will work with how high my couch sits. Ugh. Haha.

Top Bottom