• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

FordGTGuy

Banned
Ok guys, I'm looking at buying a racing wheel setup.

I already own a Thrustmaster TX 458 wheel with stock pedals.

I'm looking for a setup that can support between 5'10" to 6'4" and is lightweight and can be stored without too much hassle.

I've looked at the CSL platform and was wondering if you guys would recommend this for my particular wheel?

I plan on using this infront of a TV that is on a TV stand and would like to mount the TH8A and T3PA on it.

As in a wheel stand, not the CSL cockpit?

The Fanatec one is supposed to be good, the Wheelstand Pro is definatley good, dunno about the shifter mounting points, WSP gave me a couple of brackets, one for a Fanatec shifter and I *think* the other was Thrustmaster but until I get a shifter I cannot be certain. Wheel mounting points were drilled for a Fanatec wheel but fit the TX and T500 fine too.

Both the stock 458 pedals and Clubsport pedals are solid but they attached differently. It's a pretty versatile stand if you like to chop and change.

If you mean the cockpit, yeah that's supposed to be decent.

FordGTGuy

Banned
As in a wheel stand, not the CSL cockpit?

The Fanatec one is supposed to be good, the Wheelstand Pro is definatley good, dunno about the shifter mounting points, WSP gave me a couple of brackets, one for a Fanatec shifter and I *think* the other was Thrustmaster but until I get a shifter I cannot be certain. Wheel mounting points were drilled for a Fanatec wheel but fit the TX and T500 fine too.

Both the stock 458 pedals and Clubsport pedals are solid but they attached differently. It's a pretty versatile stand if you like to chop and change.

If you mean the cockpit, yeah that's supposed to be decent.

We bought the CSL cockpit that is $299.95.

We have a Thrustmaster TX and we ordered the TH8A shifter and the T3PA pedals.

le-seb

The WSP can definitely accommodate a TH8 shifter.

We bought the CSL cockpit that is $299.95.

We have a Thrustmaster TX and we ordered the TH8A shifter and the T3PA pedals.

I have it and love it.

2 issues though.

Instructions were vague and took awhile to assemble.

GET A SMALl PILLOW! Lumbar support is non existent.

Other then that I've had it for a few years with no issues, other then the fact I misplaced my thrustmaster shifter adapter, but the clamp is so good on the th8a I was able to clamp it to the Fanatec shifter mount.

FordGTGuy

Banned
You did the best choice.

CSL is truly the best cockpit solution available in its competitive group and above.

Looks good, hopefully it will come soon and with no problems.

I have it and love it.

2 issues though.

Instructions were vague and took awhile to assemble.

Other then that I've had it for a few years with no issues, other then the fact I misplaced my thrustmaster shifter adapter, but the clamp is so good on the th8a I was able to clamp it to the Fanatec shifter mount.

I saw the same complaints on the Inside Sim Racing review, lumbar support seems easy enough to fix. Good to hear about the shifter, that clears up any kind of mounting concerns we were having.

I'll try to post some pictures when we get it in and set up.

Looks good, hopefully it will come soon and with no problems.

I saw the same complaints on the Inside Sim Racing review, lumbar support seems easy enough to fix. Good to hear about the shifter, that clears up any kind of mounting concerns we were having.

I'll try to post some pictures when we get it in and set up.

Yeah I usually never throw out parts, but I guess I looked at the Thrustmaster mount and thought I wouldn't need it and chucked it out. Eventually I will go to home depot and make my own custom part to hard mount it, but the strength of the clamp has made it a low priority on my to do list.

Mascot

That's my one complaint with my Playseat cockpit, and the reason why I've constantly got the feelers out for a proper car seat replacement. I do all of my gaming (not just my racing) in the cockpit and without lumbar support it can get a little uncomfortable during extended sessions.

I won't be bothering any of you anymore, as I can see my kind is not welcome here. Although, when the v2 base arrives next week I'll be sure to post a video of all my amazing experiences with the X1 and PS4, just to make sure you guys know i'm doing ok.

Ciao!

You work for ControllerMax and are trying to convince folks here to buy the product? http://i.imgur.com/9YruT7V.png

Edit: Ah, already sniffed out last page.

FordGTGuy

Banned
That's my one complaint with my Playseat cockpit, and the reason why I've constantly got the feelers out for a proper car seat replacement. I do all of my gaming (not just my racing) in the cockpit and without lumbar support it can get a little uncomfortable during extended sessions.

You could always buy some foam and cut it to fit the chair.

That was my idea to solve the problem anyway.

Mascot

You could always buy some foam and cut it to fit the chair.

That was my idea to solve the problem anyway.

I use a small oblong cushion but it's not ideal. Could really do with longer thigh support too, especially as using a cushion in the small of your back shifts your ass forward slightly. My E92 seat with extendable leg rest would be ideal if I could find a good one in a breaker's yard.

Mascot

To save me ploughing through the last few pages, are we now saying that there is a device available that will let me use my GT2 with Xbone and PS4, and provide full FFB with no noticeable lag?

To save me ploughing through the last few pages, are we now saying that there is a device available that will let me use my GT2 with Xbone and PS4, and provide full FFB with no noticeable lag?

What are you some kind of FFB prima donna?

The answer is no.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Ok the CSL seat is coming in on Thursday and the shifter on Tuesday. We have the pedals on preorder to auto-order when they become available.

Hopefully soon.

Ok the CSL seat is coming in on Thursday and the shifter on Tuesday. We have the pedals on preorder to auto-order when they become available.

Hopefully soon.

Have someone spot you when attaching the TX base to the CSL seat. The base is quite heavy and while doing it myself the base fell forward while I was attaching it. Luckily it fell on the seat and not the floor.

Nokterian

I bought the thrustmaster t80 driveclub edition this week..also it's my first steering wheel again in i think 14 or 17 years last time it happened on PC with Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit. I know this doesn't have force feedback and it's the cheapest on the market but i am more the type that does racing games once in a while but driveclub is so much fun i had to get this.

Yes there are more expensive ones on the market but i do not have the money for that and the T80 seems like a good choice to begin with at least i am happy with it.

Mascot

Does the new stock need the firmware update?

Mine should be here Friday.

Reading stuff like this just reanimates my bitterness and fury about Wheelgate.

I'd love to be there with you but just cannot bring myself to upgrade perfectly working hardware just because Sony and MS are complete twatwaffles.

Jilt

I'd love to be there with you but just cannot bring myself to upgrade perfectly working hardware just because Sony and MS are complete twatwaffles.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!

It's a pity you're not joining us mate, how are you getting on with the PC sims?

Shaneus

So what's the cheapest entry point into FFB on the PS4 at this point in time? I've lost track with all the talk of what's out there and which options are which.

I have a feeling it's not going to be less than $300AU :/ At which point I might as well look at shelling out even more so I'm not just buying an alternative to my G27, I'm essentially upgrading it.

So what's the cheapest entry point into FFB on the PS4 at this point in time? I've lost track with all the talk of what's out there and which options are which.

I have a feeling it's not going to be less than $300AU :/ At which point I might as well look at shelling out even more so I'm not just buying an alternative to my G27, I'm essentially upgrading it.

Thrustmaster T100 for PS4 is probably your lowest entry point.

FordGTGuy

Banned

It really does suck.

They should at least make the effort to allow the old wheels to work on the new hardware.

Does the new stock need the firmware update?

Mine should be here Friday.

Plug and play with Xbox One.

Ah, looks about the right price point, too. Any idea how it compares build-wise to the G27? Looks like it doesn't have a stick shifter or clutch, and it could well feel flimsy as shit, too.

I have a G27, and used to have a DFGT. The wheel is comparable to the DFGT in terms of build quality, but a much smaller turn radius (I think the T100 is only 360 degrees vs 900 for the GT and G27.) the pedals are flimsy as shit though. For its price it's not bad but if you are used to the G27 it's a massive step down.

Hoje0308

Banned
Ah, looks about the right price point, too. Any idea how it compares build-wise to the G27? Looks like it doesn't have a stick shifter or clutch, and it could well feel flimsy as shit, too.

G27 crushes it, but what can you do? If you get it, you might want to turn the pedals upside down, then screw them back in. Reduces the insane angle they take on in stock spec.

Varvor

Sigh...still no wheel alternative for PS4?

Tried $100 Thrustmaster (aka shitmaster), wheel....took it back. Complete garbage....i expected 100 bucks decent quality not 20 dollar wheel with a mark up of 500 percent.

Tried ChronusMax but could not get it to work with my MoMo wheel. So right now my DC adventures are post poned because i feel that playing that game with controller does it disservice (still good but not how id play it).

Why the fuck is it so hard to get decent wheel on ps4, i am willing to pay some decent cash were it a good wheel.

Ps: fuck paying 550 pretax for a wheel that costs almost twice as much i payed for my ps4.

Pps: its there some kind of exclusive deal with Thrustmasters and Sony? I simply refuse to believe that likes of Logitec have yet to get a a product out of the door by now...hell we have DC, soon PCars and GT7 some time after....there is a strong thurst and hunger for this....

Hoje0308

Banned

Tried $100 Thrustmaster (aka shitmaster), wheel....took it back. Complete garbage....i expected 100 bucks decent quality not 20 dollar wheel with a mark up of 500 percent.

Tried ChronusMax but could not get it to work with my MoMo wheel. So right now my DC adventures are post poned because i feel that playing that game with controller does it disservice (still good but not how id play it).

Why the fuck is it so hard to get decent wheel on ps4, i am willing to pay some decent cash were it a good wheel.

Ps: fuck paying 550 pretax for a wheel that costs almost twice as much i payed for my ps4.

Pps: its there some kind of exclusive deal with Thrustmasters and Sony? I simply refuse to believe that likes of Logitec have yet to get a a product out of the door by now...hell we have DC, soon PCars and GT7 some time after....there is a strong thurst and hunger for this....

Logitech is out of the game. I'd heard that some patents might be expiring this year which might persuade them to come back, but that may have just been wishful thinking or straight up nonsense.

Yopis

Sad days feel the same.

Shaneus

G27 crushes it, but what can you do? If you get it, you might want to turn the pedals upside down, then screw them back in. Reduces the insane angle they take on in stock spec.
Well, shit :/ Don't think I could take the drop in quality just to play a single game with FFB.

The whole CronusMax 2.0 (or whatever the other one was called) deal: Was there ever a chance that was going to allow full FFB for all wheels on all (or even *any*) next-gen console?

Mascot

It's a pity you're not joining us mate, how are you getting on with the PC sims?

I'm still using my VAIO laptop hooked up to my Fanatec/Playseat racing rig and mainly playing GTR2 (and the P&G mod for it). Being such an old game I can get constant 60fps with fifty car grids on GTR2 which is fantastic. And it's a brilliant sim, terrific fun. I still play Assetto Corsa occasionally but it really chugs on my hardware compared to GTR2.

To be honest the whole Bone/PS4/Wheelgate fiasco has dulled my enthusiasm for racing and gaming in general. The plan was to build a good gaming PC later this year but to be honest I'm not even sure I'll bother any more. Gaming these days seems to be increasingly about over-promising and under-delivering. I'm pretty jaded about the whole scene right now.

Maybe VR will kick-start my enthusiasm again, but I've got a horrible feeling that OR CV1 will be plagued with fundamental issues.

I'm still using my VAIO laptop hooked up to my Fanatec/Playseat racing rig and mainly playing GTR2 (and the P&G mod for it). Being such an old game I can get constant 60fps with fifty car grids on GTR2 which is fantastic. And it's a brilliant sim, terrific fun. I still play Assetto Corsa occasionally but it really chugs on my hardware compared to GTR2.

To be honest the whole Bone/PS4/Wheelgate fiasco has dulled my enthusiasm for racing and gaming in general. The plan was to build a good gaming PC later this year but to be honest I'm not even sure I'll bother any more. Gaming these days seems to be increasingly about over-promising and under-delivering. I'm pretty jaded about the whole scene right now.

Maybe VR will kick-start my enthusiasm again, but I've got a horrible feeling that OR CV1 will be plagued with fundamental issues.

Well you might want to upgrade eventually anyway. TX/T300 are a step up from the lower end Fanatec wheels. I really can't imagine going back to my PWTS, although I do miss the leather wheel.

Mascot

Well you might want to upgrade eventually anyway. TX/T300 are a step up from the lower end Fanatec wheels. I really can't imagine going back to my PWTS, although I do miss the leather wheel.

I really can't justify the expense. My GT2 & Clubsport pedals are just fine.

Ambient80

Man if love to have these for Forza 5 (and eventually 6), but dang $250+ is quite a bit for a peripheral I'll use on like three games. Worth it?

SmokyDave

Logitech is out of the game. I'd heard that some patents might be expiring this year which might persuade them to come back, but that may have just been wishful thinking or straight up nonsense.
Ah man, it's just fucking rubbish. Worst thing to happen this generation.

I'm now stuck in the middle where the games I want to play are on PS4 / XBone, but I have to fire up PS3 racers if I want to use a wheel. I want to live in a world where the G27 was supported by both consoles on day one :(

FordGTGuy

Banned
Ah man, it's just fucking rubbish. Worst thing to happen this generation.

I'm now stuck in the middle where the games I want to play are on PS4 / XBone, but I have to fire up PS3 racers if I want to use a wheel. I want to live in a world where the G27 was supported by both consoles on day one :(

I know this might be a unpopular opinion... but the G27 is getting up to five years old now.

SmokyDave

I know this might be a unpopular opinion... but the G27 is getting up to five years old now.
Don't care. The PS3 supported the original GT wheel (2001) for GT6 (2013).

Wheels are damned expensive. It's not viable to spend £300-£400 per console, each generation. It wouldn't be as bad if there were a range of wheels at most price points that worked with PS4 and XBone, but that isn't the case.

I fucking hate this situation. I'm stuck playing on controller unless I'm willing to shell out silly money for a peripheral that may or may not remain supported for the next few years. If I want a wheel for GT and a wheel for Forza, I'm looking at the wrong side of £700. That's just batty.

Hoje0308

Banned
Don't care. The PS3 supported the original GT wheel (2001) for GT6 (2013).

Wheels are damned expensive. It's not viable to spend £300-£400 per console, each generation. It wouldn't be as bad if there were a range of wheels at most price points that worked with PS4 and XBone, but that isn't the case.

I fucking hate this situation. I'm stuck playing on controller unless I'm willing to shell out silly money for a peripheral that may or may not remain supported for the next few years. If I want a wheel for GT and a wheel for Forza, I'm looking at the wrong side of £700. That's just batty.

This is my problem. I can justify spending $500 on a wheel, but I have an X1 and a PS4. The Xbox is for exclusives only, so it would make sense to spend the money on a PS4 wheel. But then I'm left without a wheel for Forza. Would be nice if there were wheels available in the $200-300 range, so I could race properly on each console.

Jilt

This is my problem. I can justify spending $500 on a wheel, but I have an X1 and a PS4. The Xbox is for exclusives only, so it would make sense to spend the money on a PS4 wheel. But then I'm left without a wheel for Forza. Would be nice if there were wheels available in the $200-300 range, so I could race properly on each console.

The whole situation is getting really silly. The competition is killing in race game land, the pc is winning because "older" wheels work on them no matter what.
I have an older pc, still good enough for R3E and AC. If it stays like this, i am getting a new pc instead of a PS4 and a new wheel.
This is what I hear a lot, so isn't that costing Sony and MS costumers?
Or is the race game scene such a niche market, that they don't care?

Top Bottom