• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

The whole situation is getting really silly. The competition is killing in race game land, the pc is winning because "older" wheels work on them no matter what.
I have an older pc, still good enough for R3E and AC. If it stays like this, i am getting a new pc instead of a PS4 and a new wheel.
This is what I hear a lot, so isn't that costing Sony and MS costumers?
Or is the race game scene such a niche market, that they don't care?

^ That.

There's 18.5 million PS4s out there and I'd wager maybe 50 000 people own a wheel, tops.

They'd be smart to figure out something for GT7 though, I imagine there will be much more demand at that point.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Don't care. The PS3 supported the original GT wheel (2001) for GT6 (2013).

Wheels are damned expensive. It's not viable to spend £300-£400 per console, each generation. It wouldn't be as bad if there were a range of wheels at most price points that worked with PS4 and XBone, but that isn't the case.

I fucking hate this situation. I'm stuck playing on controller unless I'm willing to shell out silly money for a peripheral that may or may not remain supported for the next few years. If I want a wheel for GT and a wheel for Forza, I'm looking at the wrong side of £700. That's just batty.

I just refuse to buy racing sims on the PS4 and encourage other people not to buy them either. In the end, money talks(heck, that's the reason for this BS Thrustmaster exclusive support in the first place).

FordGTGuy

Banned
sjaqvIr.jpg

pviZOTL.jpg

pAX2YcG.jpg

Ignore the mess... lol.

Took about 3 hours to build.

Mascot

Wheels are damned expensive. It's not viable to spend £300-£400 per console, each generation. It wouldn't be as bad if there were a range of wheels at most price points that worked with PS4 and XBone, but that isn't the case.

I fucking hate this situation. I'm stuck playing on controller unless I'm willing to shell out silly money for a peripheral that may or may not remain supported for the next few years. If I want a wheel for GT and a wheel for Forza, I'm looking at the wrong side of £700. That's just batty.
I completely agree mate.
It's even stopped me buying a Bone or PS4 altogether.

Shaneus

I just refuse to buy racing sims on the PS4 and encourage other people not to buy them either. In the end, money talks(heck, that's the reason for this BS Thrustmaster exclusive support in the first place).
Well, that... and Thrustmaster are actually still making gaming peripherals. Pretty sure Logitech is completely (if not almost completely) out of the gaming market.

Nope, all peripherals should have a five year lifespan. Tops. Buy moar!

/s

Edit: Jesus Christ. The Thrustmaster T300 (I guess roughly the G27 equivalent that works with PS4) is $500AUD to buy pretty much anywhere. Fuck that shit.

I completely agree mate.
It's even stopped me buying a Bone or PS4 altogether.
Shame. You're missing out on a gem in Driveclub, even with a controller.

Shifter turned up, £104 inc standard delivery was really good.

Much bigger than expected, feels great though.

Bollocks I can't find the fucking shifter bracket anywhere in the house.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you can live without FFB, you could strap a Dualshock 4 to the face of your logitech wheel and play driveclub with gyro steering

although I don't know how you'd accelerate...

Megasoum

Banned
I agree that the whole situation sucks overall but I have to admit guys...

After ditching fanatec completely (well except the CSPs that I still use) and buying a Thrustmaster TX with the TH8A shifter I have a bit of a relaxation feeling over here lol. No more stressing about wheel support or whatever. It just works (actually better than any Fanatec wheel I used in the past too IMO) and it's a great ecosystem.

I'm really happy with my TX+TH8A+ CSP Pedals setup for both PC and XB1 right now. It's pretty much all I need.

If they ever release a new GT game on PS4 in like 4 years or whatever then I'll try to find a cheap T300 base that I will be able to use with my rims, shifter and pedals.

RaceManIak

Neo Member

After ditching fanatec completely (well except the CSPs that I still use) and buying a Thrustmaster TX with the TH8A shifter I have a bit of a relaxation feeling over here lol. No more stressing about wheel support or whatever. It just works (actually better than any Fanatec wheel I used in the past too IMO) and it's a great ecosystem.

I'm really happy with my TX+TH8A+ CSP Pedals setup for both PC and XB1 right now. It's pretty much all I need.

If they ever release a new GT game on PS4 in like 4 years or whatever then I'll try to find a cheap T300 base that I will be able to use with my rims, shifter and pedals.
After 1 year now I LOVE my TX too and bought everthing for it : GTE rim, F1 rim, TH8A shifter and the CPX adapter to use my CSPv1 pedals.

I don't have a ps4 so i don't need another wheel for now and also hope TM will sell a T300 base only in the futur.

Zeknurn

Any chance you got a write-up for your setup? I'm interested in the same wheel and would like to hear what you think about it when compared to your experience with Fanatec wheels.

Megasoum

Banned
Any chance you got a write-up for your setup? I'm interested in the same wheel and would like to hear what you think about it when compared to your experience with Fanatec wheels.

Hmm I don't really have a write-up but if you have any questions ask away. Both me and Racemaniak will be happy to help you.

Botched together a solution for mounting the TH8A.

Surprisingly long throw compared to the old Fanatec shifter but I got *crunch* *crunch* *crunch* when trying to play Forza 5. Either needs a firmware update or my clutch pedal is playing up.

Can't be arsed with it now but yeah, nice piece of kit.

Oh I've got the same setup too (TX,CSP+CPX,TH8A) thoroughly recommend it.

RaceManIak

Neo Member

Surprisingly long throw compared to the old Fanatec shifter but I got *crunch* *crunch* *crunch* when trying to play Forza 5. Either needs a firmware update or my clutch pedal is playing up.
this guy sell Short-Throw Custom plates for the Thrustmaster TH8A and TH8RS shifter.
Nothing in stock right now but maybe I will buy his sequetial aluminium plate (the plastic one from TM is the only thing cheap with the shifter)

Megasoum

Banned
this guy sell Short-Throw Custom plates for the Thrustmaster TH8A and TH8RS shifter.
Nothing in stock right now but maybe I will buy his sequetial aluminium plate (the plastic one from TM is the only thing cheap with the shifter)

Yeah that's really too bad that the sequential shifter plate that comes with it is a cheap plastic one... But I'm not paying 100$ for a metal plate for my shifter lol.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I told you!

When I got that small ass box I knew it was going to be work. Then I looked at those instructions like......

5ae0ec0fa32534db0e41e8eb1b770a67.jpg

The fact that none of the large pieces were labeled and no idea of orientation in the video or instructions is mind boggling.

Beyond that the video guide had lame as hell music instead of a guy giving more clear instructions over audio....

Nice!! It's look extremely compact. Dimension?

I would say about 4' long, 2' wide and 3' high.

The fact that none of the large pieces were labeled and no idea of orientation in the video or instructions is mind boggling.

Beyond that the video guide had lame as hell music instead of a guy giving more clear instructions over audio....

I would say about 4' long, 2' wide and 3' high.

I got it when they first released it and they didn't even have a video then

Can't be arsed with it now but yeah, nice piece of kit.

Oh I've got the same setup too (TX,CSP+CPX,TH8A) thoroughly recommend it.

The firmware for the shifter allows you to customize where the gear is engaged in the throw, and even turn 7th into 6th if you wanted to.

Looks awesome. Thinking of doing similar Play Seat set up myself, but really hoping for a new wheel that will work on both the PS4, PC and Xbox One :(

Fanatec recently gave a small update for their Next Gen wheel solution

"There are no news on the Xbox One steering wheel yet but things are smooth and we plan to make an announcement by the end of march so you know what to do if you plan to buy Project CARS. "

But as its been stated its likely to be ~$800-$1000 when its all said and done for the V2 base XB1 rim and the PS4 rim. It might actually be cheaper to buy 2 separate wheels. Of course that would include the hassle of changing them out. But given how long its taken to get some info on the XB1 rim, and no updates on the status of what's going on with PS4 compatibility, it might be a long wait for the mystical all in one wheel.

TX plus T300/T500 works well. Only takes a few minutes to swap them over.

Having the crap laying around is the only downside.

Got the clutch sorted now, a year with paddles has got me in some bad habits of just flcking though gears, having to pick one and commit feels good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkHU5fIX9DY
@7:20 shows the firmware update function's

Ta. There's some firmware for the TX and T500 I haven't updated to yet, I'll do the lot together.

GHG

Gold Member
Right... I think I'm now caving having sold my G27 about a year and a half ago while it was still worth good money. Project Cars full release is on the horizon so I need a wheel.

I'm thinking about getting the T300 GTE. Since it supports the PS3, PS4 and the PC (I've given up on the idea that there will be a wheel that supports the PS4/Xbox One and PC this gen, plus I'm seriously considering selling my Xbox One at the moment because of how dissapointed I am with Forza 5 and how my faith in Turn 10 has waned in recent months but thats another story...) its covers the platforms I need it to well.

BUT, there is no clutch pedal or H-Shift so it represents a significant step down from the G27 for me...

So my questions:

1. Can I get the T300 GTE and then upgrade the Pedals to the T500 pedals or similar?
2. Does it accept the H-Shift upgrade that Thrustmaster also sell?
3. Is there a foldaway wheelstand like wheelstand pro for this wheel yet that would be compatible with the upgraded pedals for the wheel?

Pricing wise this is looking like it will be quite an expensive venture once all is said and done (compared to how straight forward the G27 + Wheelstand Pro venture was) but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end...

Bonus question:

- Is there an alternate wheel that I'm not seeing yet that comes with a H-Shift and clutch pedals that supports all 3 of the PS4/PS3/PC?

nib95

Banned
Fanatec recently gave a small update for their Next Gen wheel solution

"There are no news on the Xbox One steering wheel yet but things are smooth and we plan to make an announcement by the end of march so you know what to do if you plan to buy Project CARS. "

But as its been stated its likely to be ~$800-$1000 when its all said and done for the V2 base XB1 rim and the PS4 rim. It might actually be cheaper to buy 2 separate wheels. Of course that would include the hassle of changing them out. But given how long its taken to get some info on the XB1 rim, and no updates on the status of what's going on with PS4 compatibility, it might be a long wait for the mystical all in one wheel.

Yea, $800-$1000 is far too rich for my blood. I won't be able to get away defending that to my wife, especially when I've already just decked out a gaming room with an additional console and a new 65" screen….

GHG

Gold Member
Yea, $800-$1000 is far too rich for my blood. I won't be able to get away defending that to my wife, especially when I've already just decked out a gaming room with an additional console and a new 65" screen….

Yep from what I've read I've all but given up of a wheel that will cover all platforms. My wife would actually kill me if I spent that much on a wheel, especially considering she doesn't like them anyway and thinks of me using one as "boy racer training"...

So my questions:

1. Can I get the T300 GTE and then upgrade the Pedals to the T500 pedals or similar?
2. Does it accept the H-Shift upgrade that Thrustmaster also sell?
3. Is there a foldaway wheelstand like wheelstand pro for this wheel yet that would be compatible with the upgraded pedals for the wheel?

Pricing wise this is looking like it will be quite an expensive venture once all is said and done (compared to how straight forward the G27 + Wheelstand Pro venture was) but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end...

Bonus question:

- Is there an alternate wheel that I'm not seeing yet that comes with a H-Shift and clutch pedals that supports all 3 of the PS4/PS3/PC?

1. Yes. Although I don't think T500 pedals are officially supported they do work.
2. Yes. No problems there.
3. Yes. Wheel Stand Pro works. I'm not struck on the shifter placement, the Fanatec shifter sits much lower, still it works fine.

Bonus Question? No.

Varth

I'm considering selling my old Porsche Fanatec + stand setup, but (didn't use it in a century) trying to put all parts together, I'm wondering if there was some USB dongle for it to work on PS3. Any clue?

myca77

Got my T300RS early last week and a GT Omega Steering Wheel Stand on Friday.

First wheel set I've ever owned, I had spent a good few years umming and ahhing about getting the G27 set, really glad I never did due to compatibility issues. The wheel is awesome with Driveclub. Shame I'm rubbish at racing/driving games, but have slightly improved just by playing a fair bit over the weekend. Can't wait to hook it up to the PC and play some Dirt 1 and 2 and Race Driver Grid with it.

It's taken me a while to get used to the 1080 wheel, as most wheels in arcades I've used have normally been a bit more twitchy, that and the games have been more pure arcade racers and less I guess simcade is what you'd call Driveclub. I'd imagine that for more arcade type games I should stick it to 900 degrees or less.

The DPD man has just dropped off the TH8A from OCUK, and a UPS man should be dropping off the T3PA today I hope. The TH8A is really solid, shame there isn't a quicker way to change it from the H pattern to the sequential shifter though.

I'm kind of glad that I only have space in the flat to play on my couch (granted hooked up to a 92" projector screen) as otherwise I could see me spending even more on a rig.

I wonder if its possible for thrustmaster to steal Fanatec's idea for cross platform support, by having the chip for the system in the wheel rim. I surely would drop $200 on a wheel rim that would enable PS4 support for my TX.

I'm considering selling my old Porsche Fanatec + stand setup, but (didn't use it in a century) trying to put all parts together, I'm wondering if there was some USB dongle for it to work on PS3. Any clue?

Wirelessly you mean right? Because the PWTS works over USB in PC mode on PS3. Fanatec used to sell a wireless dongle, don't know if they still do.

GHG

Gold Member
1. Yes. Although I don't think T500 pedals are officially supported they do work.
2. Yes. No problems there.
3. Yes. Wheel Stand Pro works. I'm not struck on the shifter placement, the Fanatec shifter sits much lower, still it works fine.

Bonus Question? No.

Perfect, just what I was looking for. Thank you.

Hopefully I can get everything in time for PCars release.

Definitely invest in the T3PA pedals, or find a used set of T500 pedals. The stock brake pedal is the worst. The brake mod that comes from with the T3PA is really good. There not as great as my Fantec clubsports but after putting on a real set of pedals they feel great.

14786056251_c6b45e3d90_z.jpg

Megasoum

Banned

If you buy the shifter, make sure to get the TH8A which is for the TX and T300 wheels. The shifter for the T500 doesn't work with those.

You sold all your fanatec stuff?

For me I stopped using the wheel but I kept my CSP V1 set that I now use with my TX Wheel on both PC and XB1. If you still have Fanatec pedals you could do that with your T300 too.

myca77

Definitely invest in the T3PA pedals, or find a used set of T500 pedals. The stock brake pedal is the worst. The brake mod that comes from with the T3PA is really good. There not as great as my Fantec clubsports but after putting on a real set of pedals they feel great.

14786056251_c6b45e3d90_z.jpg

Where did you get those pedals from? I've been looking for possible replacements for my T3PA that should arrive today, along with looking at some funky shift knobs.

Where did you get those pedals from? I've been looking for possible replacements for my T3PA that should arrive today, along with looking at some funky shift knobs.

Just some cheap $15 pedals from AutoZone, I'm sure you could find them at any auto store. Put them on a few months ago as a test run, I'm looking to move up to these to match my newly acquired shift knob.

SPA-013-03787OP01%20PP1B.jpg

myca77

Just some cheap $15 pedals from AutoZone, I'm sure you could find them at any auto store. Put them on a few months ago as a test run, I'm looking to move up to these to match my newly acquired shift knob.

SPA-013-03787OP01%20PP1B.jpg

Cheers for the reply, none in the UK amazon store, but after some google kung-fu I have found http://www.vividracing.co.uk which looks to have a good selection of replacement pedals and shift knobs.

I should really get the just arrived stuff set up before I think too heavily about replacement bits.

Cheers for the reply, none in the UK amazon store, but after some google kung-fu I have found http://www.vividracing.co.uk which looks to have a good selection of replacement pedals and shift knobs.

I should really get the just arrived stuff set up before I think too heavily about replacement bits.

LOL its a deep hole to go down.

Next thing you will be looking to put a real steering wheel on your base.

GHG

Gold Member
If you buy the shifter, make sure to get the TH8A which is for the TX and T300 wheels. The shifter for the T500 doesn't work with those.

You sold all your fanatec stuff?

For me I stopped using the wheel but I kept my CSP V1 set that I now use with my TX Wheel on both PC and XB1. If you still have Fanatec pedals you could do that with your T300 too.

Had a G27 previously and the wheelstand pro,not Fanatec. Sold it mainly because I moved abroad and had limited shipping space so only took essentials mostly and the wheel set didn't fall in that category (especially not with the wife). In addition to that there were rumblings that last gen wheels would not be compatible with next gen so it made my decision easier.

Thanks for the advice guys.

myca77

LOL its a deep hole to go down.

Next thing you will be looking to put a real steering wheel on your base.

I've already got the dream rig set up in my head, unfortunately (or fortunately for my bank account) I couldn't get a whole rig in my flat without getting rid of the rather nice couch.

Still just having a decent wheel and wheel stand whilst sat on the couch is pretty good fun for the moment.

A quick note for anyone thinking about getting a GT Omega Steering Wheel Stand, the T3PA pedals can only lock into the base in one place, there is a bar at the bottom that secures the pedals too but there may be some slight movement on the side that isn't secured (a couple of millimetres after an hour or so of play). Their Gear Shifter Mount V2 that I received didn't fit the pre-drilled holes of the stand either, so I had to get the drill out which was a little disappointing. It's still a good mount.

GT%20Omega%20Wheel%20Stand%206-500x560.jpg

Zeknurn

The Project Cars twitter just retweeted this video from the Logitech G twitter.

Fast and Nimble

The obvious take from the space theme would be a joystick for Star Citizen but since Project Cars retweeted it, it might be a new wheel?

The Project Cars twitter just retweeted this video from the Logitech G twitter.

Fast and Nimble

The obvious take from the space theme would be a joystick for Star Citizen but since Project Cars retweeted it, it might be a new wheel?

Its an odd thing to tweet because it has nothing to do with pcars on the surface. Weren't star citizen and pcars all a part the crowd funding train around the same time? Maybe mural respect between studios, but hey anything is possible.

Megasoum

Banned
Its an odd thing to tweet because it has nothing to do with pcars on the surface. Weren't star citizen and pcars all a part the crowd funding train around the same time? Maybe mural respect between studios, but hey anything is possible.

One got 60+ millions (+ everything Elite also got) Vs CARS who got 2millions.

Not exactly the same scale.

Also...there's a mouse in that teaser so.....

Top Bottom