• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFC confirmed for Smash Bros for Wii U

RiggyRob

So, let's say there's 45 characters, and each character is £5... that's a lot of money
that I'll be spending like no tomorrow, BRING ON THE FIGURINES!

Edit:

That said, age is a factor that directly correlates with the desire to own and play with dolls, so it's worth noting that NFC policy may alienate older gamers.

If we were talking about Shia in Hyrule Warriors and replaced 'NFC policy' with 'boobs', you'd be Ben Kuchera.

Gameboy415

I will buy every single figure no matter what it costs!
*takes out a loan*

In all seriousness, I'm excited to see how these will integrate into Smash Bros.
I just pray they're not going to be sold in blind-boxes like the Pokemon Rumble figures were! :(

Clefargle

I'm pretty confident that this is for storing custom movesets, why else would they have cut short their explanation of the moveset customization in the smash direct?

Anth0ny

A lot of people are saying the figures will act like memory cards for custom movesets, or unlock things like trophies. While I think that would be a good idea... would that actually sell these things?

I wouldn't be surprised if these things were a tad more important to the actual gameplay. For example:

-Buy a Ganondorf NFC figure, scan to unlock Ganondorf. Of course, you can still unlock him the standard way (complete task/play vs. matches), but with the toy it's faster, and you got a cool toy!

-Buy a Dr. Mario NFC figure, scan to unlock the Dr. Mario alt costume for Mario! Only possible through buying the toy.

-Buy a Tanooki Suit Mario NFC figure, scan to unlock exclusive Super Mario Bros 3 music! Only possible through buying the toy.

I know a lot of you are going to hate me for suggesting this ("these things should be a part of the regular game for free!"), but really, who's going to buy these figures for fucking trophies or custom movesets?

Son Of D

A lot of people are saying the figures will act like memory cards for custom movesets, or unlock things like trophies. While I think that would be a good idea... would that actually sell these things?

I wouldn't be surprised if these things were a tad more important to the actual gameplay. For example:

-Buy a Ganondorf NFC figure, scan to unlock Ganondorf. Of course, you can still unlock him the standard way (complete task/play vs. matches), but with the toy it's faster, and you got a cool toy!

-Buy a Dr. Mario NFC figure, scan to unlock the Dr. Mario alt costume for Mario! Only possible through buying the toy.

-Buy a Tanooki Suit Mario NFC figure, scan to unlock exclusive Super Mario Bros 3 music! Only possible through buying the toy.

I know a lot of you are going to hate me for suggesting this ("these things should be a part of the regular game for free!"), but really, who's going to buy these figures for fucking trophies or custom movesets?

I'd imagine they'll make the figures multipurpose. Get exclusive costumes/music plus a trophy, stamps (if Smash has them) and storage for profile data.

Riki

Send me to it please. :)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508/04.html

What is especially unique about NFP is that it is not classed as an accessory product of a certain software title but as a platform itself.

And it has been designed to be compatible with multiple software titles for Nintendo platforms.
In other words, the figurines, which consumers can buy and collect, are going to work with multiple software titles to be released in the future, and we are aiming to develop more software titles compatible with the figurines.
Nintendo has a lot of well-known character IP that has originated in video games, and we have been regularly releasing titles from game franchises that make use of this character IP. This is why I believe a brand-new type of platform will be born when the character IP becomes compatible with NFP.

NFP has a writer function as well as a reader function, so it can not only tell what character figurine is on the Wii U GamePad, but also a compact amount of data unique to each game can be written into it and read from it. That is to say, you will be able to customize your NFP to raise or train your own Nintendo characters, for example.

With the launch of this new product genre, NFP, which will be compatible with Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, is going to serve as the first example of actively utilizing our own character IP.
At the same time, there are not only going to be decorative boxes for video game hardware and packages for software, but also Nintendo character figurines displayed on store shelves. This will provide exposure for Nintendo, play a great role in raising our brand awareness and create more opportunities for consumers to play video games.

It's pretty clear that Nintendo wants them to be more than just unlock tools. They're for creating your own character with its own unique stats and abilities.

Isn't the idea explicitly that they're used for multiple games and you don't buy one to unlock a trophy, you buy it for something else and it also unlocks the trophy?

Like, Iwata pretty clearly said in the briefing "We're going to sell the toys and the software stuff just comes along with it."

If you use an NFC figure to unlock Ganondorf, what stops you from using a friend's? From buying one and scanning it in the package and then returning it? Why wouldn't they just sell DLC in that case, which is guaranteed to be more profitable? How do you unlock the characters without just making it sign in to the Wii U online account, or should they just put all of them on disc to be unlocked by people, anyway? Do you just swipe every figure every time you want to play?

It's completely unfeasible and actively goes against what incredibly little they've already said about it.

Spiderduff

I'll be honest with you. I would. I would buy them just to have them even if they did nothing but unlock a trophy just to have the figure. I have very little Nintendo stuff as far as collectibles.

shaowebb

I. FUCKING. CALLED. IT.

I told you it made sense and was likely the BIGGEST cash opportunity title to utilize near connectivity. I brought up the rumble blast stuff being done before and seeming like a test run for this.

Take that doubters.

Yeah, I don't think this will be required to unlock characters or stages. I mean, perhaps it will provide an alternate means of unlocking them, but Nintendo's statement about NFC doesn't make it seem like they will be entirely necessary.

MisterHero

I. FUCKING. CALLED. IT.

I told you it made sense and was likely the BIGGEST cash opportunity title to utilize near connectivity. I brought up the rumble blast stuff being done before and seeming like a test run for this.

Take that doubters.

Shocking Alberto said:
If you use an NFC figure to unlock Ganondorf, what stops you from using a friend's? From buying one and scanning it in the package and then returning it? Why wouldn't they just sell DLC in that case, which is guaranteed to be more profitable? How do you unlock the characters without just making it sign in to the Wii U online account, or should they just put all of them on disc to be unlocked by people, anyway? Do you just swipe every figure every time you want to play?

It's completely unfeasible and actively goes against what incredibly little they've already said about it.

My own little suggestion would be to sell the figures with VC download codes. Cost as much as DLC but are complete games.

I'm not entirely confident in this idea but I love Nintendo collectibles anyways.

georly

The NFC figures are part of a new platform, NFP.

These figures will be used in their own original games, but can also be used across a spectrum of other games. Details on how much interaction they will have with other games has still to be seen.

So it can be for collectors/their own original games/enhance other games. Who really knows what else?

E3 should give us an idea.

That's the main appeal to me. Collecting nintendo merch. The fact that they can be used in games is a bonus. If I already have figures, and then miyamoto comes out with a game that uses them exclusively, then i might as well buy the game if it looks good, because it gives more value to merch I have already purchased.

shaowebb

Seriously why was this not something folks even brought up more in their speculation? Nintendo is a toy company who make a killing on collectibles...it makes sense. Blah blah blah yeah we know they passed on skylanders and how that turned out. It never meant they wouldn't do it and seriously ...why would they build a controller with it as a major feature and then never make one of their biggest games that focuses on collecting and unlocking shit primarily focused on it?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah, I don't think this will be required to unlock characters or stages. I mean, perhaps it will provide an alternate means of unlocking them, but Nintendo's statement about NFC doesn't make it seem like they will be entirely necessary.
If they're non-essential why do they even exist? What becomes the incentive for consumers or retailers to be interested in the figurines?

In my opinion this is worse than on disc dlc. Anyone remember the e-reader accessory for the gba? It's a neat idea but with the advent of the internet you're going to lose more sales than gain them if you're requiring people to purchase accessorys to access digital content.

(That's if it is just exclusive to dlc.)

Riki

In my opinion this is worse than on disc dlc. Anyone remember the e-reader accessory for the gba? It's a neat idea but with the advent of the internet you're going to lose more sales than gain them if you're requiring people to purchase accessorys to access digital content.

(That's if it is just exclusive to dlc.)
It's not for accessing digital content.
I find it bizarre that so many people here are actually excited about this. :/
Because people like to collect things?

MisterHero

If they're non-essential why do they even exist?
A bunch of posters on NeoGAF complained that Nintendo milk their characters too much. Now they're not milking them enough because they didn't copy Skylanders.

but it'll make the investors happy.

If they're non-essential why do they even exist? What becomes the incentive for consumers or retailers to be interested in the figurines?

The figures are confirmed to be memory cards in effect. As others have already said, you'll probably be able to easily transfer custom movesets. Perhaps Miis and controller presets could be used as well.

Besides that, it could be cool unlockable bonuses that have no effect on gameplay.

And the other important thing is these, in theory, will work with multiple games. Buying one of these figures is also buying something for another game besides Smash, depending on the specific figurine.

I find it bizarre that so many people here are actually excited about this. :/

Personally, I'd say that I'm cautiously optimistic about this. If major unlocks are stuck behind a paywall, I'll probably be pissed off. At this point, it's about the only thing that can keep me from getting these games.

Sponge

Banned
I'm okay with this! I'll enjoy having Diddy Kong, Greninja, Villager and Mega Man figures in my room.

My wallet won't.

After resisting buying stupidly overpriced limited editions or sinking money in the f2p wormhole and never having any interest in Skylanders or Disney Infinity, the video game industry finally will get me broke.

well done.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The figures are confirmed to be memory cards in effect. As others have already said, you'll probably be able to easily transfer custom movesets. Perhaps Miis and controller presets could be used as well.

Besides that, it could be cool unlockable bonuses that have no effect on gameplay.

And the other important thing is these, in theory, will work with multiple games. Buying one of these figures is also buying something for another game besides Smash, depending on the specific figurine.
Unlockable bonuses do have an effect on the gameplay when it comes to Smash Brothers, which is an experience based around completing challenges to unlock hidden content. If the figures serve as simple memory cards there's less incentive for users to buy multiple figures. And when it comes to these figures being implemented in other games...it's difficult to imagine the entire spectrum of what can fit in a Smash Brothers game being inserted into other titles.

It's just hard for me to imagine this stuff working out well. More than that, what is the expectation here for fans of Smash Brothers? That they should buy the 3DS version, the WiiU version, and a bunch of figurines? Is that really something fans can look forward to?

Riki

but why would you want toys to effect the game one way or another? really wish they just made a new game around the nfc and kept it as far away as possible from smash

Because it likely won't really effect the game?
The NFC Figurines are to be used in multiple games as your own characters that you level up. (For what purpose, we don't know)

georly

Unlockable bonuses do have an effect on the gameplay when it comes to Smash Brothers, which is an experience based around completing challenges to unlock hidden content. If the figures serve as simple memory cards there's less incentive for users to buy multiple figures. And when it comes to these figures being implemented in other games...it's difficult to imagine the entire spectrum of what can fit in a Smash Brothers game being inserted into other titles.

It's just hard for me to imagine this stuff working out well. More than that, what is the expectation here for fans of Smash Brothers? That they should buy the 3DS version, the WiiU version, and a bunch of figurines? Is that really something fans can look forward to?

The difference between this and a memory card is that they're not... universal? The Mario one tells the game "I'm Memory card 0x1321890A, to you, that means i'm mario" and the game says "Oh hey, mario memory card, now I will do X operation"
In some games, that may unlock mario. In some games, that may unlock mario related content, and in a game like smash brothers, it may ONLY LET YOU SAVE MARIO INFORMATION, such as MARIO'S custom moveset. Not link's, not Zelda's, only mario's.

100% Gimmick, but that's fine.

The only reason to hate on this is if you believe nintendo will lock significant content behind smash brothers. I understand that fear, but I don't think it'll be real. Honestly, the worst case scenario is that a subset of trophies are only unlockable this way, but I REALLY doubt it. My guess is that the NFC stuff acts like a SHORTCUT and automatically unlocks the trophies, or unlocks characters early (Scan captain falcon, unlock him instantly, instead of after completing classic mode). The reason I think it'll only be a shortcut is for the same reason that the AR cards in KI:Uprising weren't required. If you scanned them, it unlocked the trophy/idol whatever automatically, but you could still unlock them by playing the game. I can almost guarantee that smash bros will be the same.

Can't wait to see how this is going to work, I have so many questions.

Let's say there's a figure of each character and it holds that character's custom move set and some other information about the player. This would mean:
- Nintendo would have to make a figure for each character in Smash
- Future NFC capable games would have to be in a weird position and either include every smash character in their games, or say only some/none of the smash figures work with their game making the cross compatible deal null and void,
- Forgetting about the cross-game stuff for a moment - would Nintendo really produce figures of all the playable characters in smash? Maybe this just isn't as tough as I think it is....I really do want a Little Mac figure though...

Situation 2: Figures are made to essentially sell DLC - we're talking new characters and costumes
- Figures would be being made of less popular characters or less popular versions of characters. Example: You can't buy Mario, but you can buy Dr. Mario.
- Cross game thing again doesn't seem to fit here.

I do hope that if there is just going to be a figure that you have the option of owning for every playable character then they at least make the model in game look special in some way, shape or form. I do LIKE the idea - it just seems too large in scope to imagine. I would LOVE to have a Little Mac buddy that I import into my Smash Bros games.

Almost assuredly yes. If you can 'demo' skylanders figures at target, you can almost guaranteed do this with nintendo's NFP.

Incoming Android application??!? Haha

Not for me, I think. And if it turns out to be a lock-out-content-and-sell-it-back-to-you scenario, I won't buy the game at all.

But I pay no attention to Skylanders, etc. What do you get for buying a Skylanders figure, in the game? What can Nintendo do with these that isn't just DLC locked to a physical purchase?

Sorcerer

Can't wait to see how this is going to work, I have so many questions.

Let's say there's a figure of each character and it holds that character's custom move set and some other information about the player. This would mean:
- Nintendo would have to make a figure for each character in Smash
- Future NFC capable games would have to be in a weird position and either include every smash character in their games, or say only some/none of the smash figures work with their game making the cross compatible deal null and void,
- Forgetting about the cross-game stuff for a moment - would Nintendo really produce figures of all the playable characters in smash? Maybe this just isn't as tough as I think it is....I really do want a Little Mac figure though...

Situation 2: Figures are made to essentially sell DLC - we're talking new characters and costumes
- Figures would be being made of less popular characters or less popular versions of characters. Example: You can't buy Mario, but you can buy Dr. Mario.
- Cross game thing again doesn't seem to fit here.

I do hope that if there is just going to be a figure that you have the option of owning for every playable character then they at least make the model in game look special in some way, shape or form. I do LIKE the idea - it just seems too large in scope to imagine. I would LOVE to have a Little Mac buddy that I import into my Smash Bros games.

Incoming Android application??!? Haha

Super Smash Bros. special edition with every NFC character and a special case. $250 bucks./jk

Riki

Not for me, I think. And if it turns out to be a lock-out-content-and-sell-it-back-to-you scenario, I won't buy the game at all.

But I pay no attention to Skylanders, etc. What do you get for buying a Skylanders figure, in the game? What can Nintendo do with these that isn't just DLC locked to a physical purchase?

Skylanders are locked to a single game (or series if you're lucky with a few figures).
These are only locked to the WiiU and 3DS, but can be used in any game any company that makes games for those systems releases.
So you can transfer stats and data from one game to a completely different game.

Like say, you can get levels from beating a few rounds of Smash and they can make Mario stronger in Paper Mario U.

JediLink

Really, really hope that this isn't required to get certain trophies. Going to make getting 100% completion a pain in the ass.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Their goal will be to make you wanna keep the figures and not to resell it after unlocking a costume or music track. So I expect mayor implementation as well as bonuses for using your characters in multiple games. Might even get bonuses depending on how long you have been owning a figure and in game achievements you cleared with it.

zsidane

Other info from that interview:
The guy speaking is the General Manager of Nintendo France
40k WiiU sold so far for 2014
340k LTD
SM3DW 125K LTD
2.9m 3DS LTD in France.
3ds is the best selling console, they expect 1 million to be sold by year end.
65% is 3dsXL, 30% is 2DS
MPIT 70K
Yoshi 60k
BD 60K

SMT IV translation still underway

Top Bottom