• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFC confirmed for Smash Bros for Wii U

BM8

Neo Member
I dont think it will take away anything significant, if you dont use it. Rather, it'll be a conveniece, and enhance the experience.

Like storing your data in the figurine, and bringing it over to a friends.

Clockwork5

I don't know what an NFC does for gameplay (if anything)... What does it stand for? Would I be at a disadvantage if I don't want to buy these things?

Mariolee

There's no reason to ruin a digital game with plastic crap though. If you like buying physical stuff that you'll throw away by age 30, what does that have to do with video games?

It's completely arbitrary to the game, and the only reason to tie it to Smash is to get people who want to play the digital game to buy the dolls. If the dolls were worth it on their own merit, they wouldn't need to tie it to the game.

Why can't they be and do both? Be cool memorabilia that could also do stuff in your game. It's like that Mario doll from Hobby Lobby your kid wants to buy, but along with being a cool ass doll it also interacts with your game.

What I don't understand is how this ruins anything if it's completely optional.

Lernaean

Banned
There's no reason to ruin a digital game with plastic crap though. If you like buying physical stuff that you'll throw away by age 30, what does that have to do with video games?

It's completely arbitrary to the game, and the only reason to tie it to Smash is to get people who want to play the digital game to buy the dolls. If the dolls were worth it on their own merit, they wouldn't need to tie it to the game.

You (and i) don't know if the figurines will be essential to play the game, and just because Sakurai makes it, they won't. They'll most likely have other uses not directly involved with the gameplay.

Also, i'm recently 34 and i'm buying all of them. Who said you throw away toys at 30?

daripad

Maybe this has to do woth costume movesets announced at the smash direct?

It could work like this:

1. Create your costume moveset
2. Save it on the NFC toy of the respective character
3. Bring your NFC toy to your friends house
4. Upload the data with your toy and use your costume moveset.

This could even work with arcade machines lol

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It could work like this:

...He could be onto something, guys.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So only the WiiU version uses it.
That should aleviate fears that you need them to unlock charactera or anything.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't rule out the 3DS version using it; he's just confirming explicitly that the Wii U version does. It could be that he's not talking about the 3DS version because they haven't finalized plans on the NFC dongle for the 3DS, or because the NFC dongle won't make 2014, or because 3DS Smash isn't slated for 2014 in Europe or any other number of reasons. Or it could be that the 3DS version doesn't use it.

georly

I feel like I am missing something. Stump clearly said that this is a bad practice, but it seems to have done no harm in this instance. How are you both misreading that?

Almost made it sound like the thread was going to get closed because it didn't have a proper translation.

I don't know what an NFC does for gameplay (if anything)... What does it stand for? Would I be at a disadvantage if I don't want to buy these things?

Near Field Communication. It means there is a wireless chip on there and that it can interact with things.

As for advantages/disadvantages? We don't know yet. Nintendo could use it for evil (unlocking characters/levels/special powers) or good (storing data, allowing you to transfer character data between various games, etc).

Action figures with high articulation and great detail perhaps.

20 bucks for a tiny statue is highway robbery.

"High articulation"
Uhm, if I remember my childhood correctly, the completely shitty star wars action figures ran for about $15, and had like 5 points of articulation. If that's what I got for $25, I'd be pissed.
I'd much rather it be around the quality of a ~$20 japanese figure, something that won't look horrendous and cause my eyes to bleed. Nintendo characters are simple enough that $20 could look pretty nice. As long as they don't make it to horrible action figure standards.

munchie64

Yup

Example would be a mario figure:

Used with smash bros: Save custom moveset, unlock trophy
Used with Miyamoto's NFP (non-mario) Game: Unlock mario as playable
Used with pokken fighters: Unlock a mario hat for pikachu
Used with Mario 3D world 2: Store powerups on the NFC figure so you can use them later when you need them
Used with hyrule warriors: *This NFC figure is not compatible with Hyrule Warriors*

Etc

You could have a link NFP figure give you 100 rupees in the next zelda if you use it
You can choose what games support what nfp figures

Who knows what they'll use them for. They're basically pretty looking memory cards with a bit of information that says 'i'm a mario shaped memory card.' The game looks at it and says 'Do I like mario shaped memory cards? Yes? Ok, let me do this mario thing then.' or 'Nope, I'm a zelda game, i don't want a mario NFP figure.'
Great post. I hope it's like this.

Axass

I'm not hot for this kind of stuff, though if they're gonna be compatible with several games and they're just used to move custom characters around, I'm totally fine with it. Just don't force me to buy figurines to unlock part of the games. That is unless the game is built around that concept, like Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

This seems kinda like Pokemon Rumble U, I bet your stats are saved to the figures so when you play at a friend's house you can just load up your custom character via your NFC figure.

If this means buying figures to unlock characters, count me out.

If it means using those figures to store fight data and move configurations, count me out.

I'm nearly 24. I don't want to buy toys, man.

You say that like your age has some kind of baring on weather or not it's ok to buy toys. I'm 30 and I write comics and work for Lego and I have toys all over my house. It's ok to not want or not like toys but don't pretend it has anything to do with age.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is a megaton. Glad I have a son that I can "blame" all the figurines that I am going to buy on :)

Edit: And 30 here. Dont at all have a problem with buying toys if they are cool really.

Don't pretend like there's no correlation between youth and people that play with plastic dolls.

Yes children play with toys? What's your point? There's no cut off for enjoying toys. You don't hit 16 and go "Oh whoops no more toys for me I'm 16 now". An individual's preference to not take part in buying/collecting/playing with toys has nothing to do with whatever age they are.

sammex

C.S. Lewis — 'When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.'

Smash NFC? I'm in.

Jagsrock

Banned
Real life collectible trophies.
sorry wallet.
13-you-live-in-the-city-now.gif

georly

C.S. Lewis — 'When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.'

Smash NFC? I'm in.

Great quote. It's also why I think the word "Mature" is inappropriate for 17+ games.

SeanR1221

If this means buying figures to unlock characters, count me out.

If it means using those figures to store fight data and move configurations, count me out.

I'm nearly 24. I don't want to buy toys, man.

Pretty much how I see it right now.

Can someone explain the advantage these figures have that can't be delivered through dlc or cloud syncing?

I hate having extra stuff around, and if content is locked behind toys...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Smash NFC? I'm in.

Paraphrasing the corinthians, that sly catholic.

"When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known." 1 cor 13:11

Ot: my wife is going to be proud of me

mreddie

Wow, Wii U owners are about to burn their wallets if they get both this and one of the other NFC games let alone both of them.

dkeane

I haven't seen the disney/skylander figures, but aren't these things cheap little plastic toys that are about 2 inches tall?

balohna

I guess this is like the modern version of the e-reader. Obviously it's proven to be a successful idea now and it's much easier/more intuitive, but still. Just had that realization. Even when people beat Nintendo to the punch, they don't really beat Nintendo to the punch (except online play, etc.).

Rocky

Banned
So what happens if it turns out that Nintendo changed Smash into a full on NFC game like Skylanders and Infinity? And you need the figures to use the characters?

I could definitely see them releasing a Smash starter set, that comes with a couple of figures and then a bunch of expansion sets, and also even those disc things for moves, in packs like Disney Infinity has.

Riposte

Great quote. It's also why I think the word "Mature" is inappropriate for 17+ games.

This line of thinking itself seems like a "desire to be very grown up", only you've come to believe games not rated M are "grown up". All you've done is move the target, believing the exact opposite of what you think your opposition does.

Vlade

It could work like this:

arcade machines?
That is a beautiful dream.
maybe like the F-zero arcade machines and gamecube memory cards. would love it.

georly

This line of thinking itself seems like a "desire to be very grown up", only you've come to believe games not rated M are "grown up". All you've done is move the target, believing the exact opposite of what you think your opposition does.

To a degree. I think a game can be mature or immature regardless of age restriction. I think the word mature is definitely a misnomer for quite a bit of games.

You say that like your age has some kind of baring on weather or not it's ok to buy toys. I'm 30 and I write comics and work for Lego and I have toys all over my house. It's ok to not want or not like toys but don't pretend it has anything to do with age.

This is a megaton. Glad I have a son that I can "blame" all the figurines that I am going to buy on :)

Edit: And 30 here. Dont at all have a problem with buying toys if they are cool really.

Anyone talking about "age" as a reason this upsets them is making a bad argument. There are many reasons this might be disastrous if implemented poorly, and many reasons to be skeptical about a company suggesting you might get more out of a game if you give them more of your money on ancillary products. I'm definitely worried about the potential for fuck-ups in regard to this tech being connected to Smash, and I won't be buying any figurines as that seems like a waste of money to me, but being "too old" is a ridiculous argument.

My god, this is a video game forum. If anyone should understand what it's like to have a hobby ridiculed for no good reason, it's players of video games. Plenty of people claim video games are for kids. It's ridiculous to place an arbitrary age on a hobby.

Axass

There is none.

And CS Lewis believed in magic and miracles, so maybe he should've grown up a bit.

Our society needs more adults playing with toys, less playing with firearms.

Believe in miracles as much as you want, better than shooting people.

Life: serious business. No fun allowed & all that.

My god, this is a video game forum. If anyone should understand what it's like to have a hobby ridiculed for no good reason, it's players of video games. Plenty of people claim video games are for kids. It's ridiculous to place an arbitrary age on a hobby.
For real.

Sadist

So what happens if it turns out that Nintendo changed Smash into a full on NFC game like Skylanders and Infinity? And you need the figures to use the characters?

I could definitely see them releasing a Smash starter set, that comes with a couple of figures and then a bunch of expansion sets, and also even those disc things for moves, in packs like Disney Infinity has.
The way Iwata worded their strategy on NFC, I don't think this will be the path they'll take. He said the figurines should work on multiple games, not just one.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Among all my fears about Wii U, Smash being compatible with these figures is not one of them. they''l be optional and I'll buy some of them.

I wonder which artstyle they'll choose for the figures. disney had to operate hard choices about their Infinity approach

Top Bottom