• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2011 Week 9 |OT| Release the Tebow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bionic77 said:
Fuck that Ravens player for agreeing with me that Hines is slowing us down!

He can't talk about our players that way!
It sucks that he's right. If I were the Steelers i'd Use Ward in Redzone packages almost exclusively. He just doesn't have the speed to make the catch and turn upfield anymore.

bionic77

DeaconKnowledge said:
It sucks that he's right. If I were the Steelers i'd Use Ward in Redzone packages almost exclusively. He just doesn't have the speed to make the catch and turn upfield anymore.
Dude you are preaching to the choir.

I was saying Hines was washed up since last year. And if I noticed it as a casual fan on tv it must have been apparent to the team and coaches long before that.

Not only does he not have the burst to get open quickly (someone we really need in our offense to keep moving the chains) or the ability to make guys miss or run through them, but he has a bad habit in the last 2-3 years of dropping balls over the middle when he gets crunched. Ward was never the most athletic player, but he was a great receiver because he was smart, tough and most importantly always hung onto the ball. Once you stop dropping balls you shouldn't be on the field anymore.

I understand why the Steelers are giving him this much respect, but it can't be done at the team's expense. We aren't Green Bay and he isn't Brett Farve.

jmdajr

Antonio Brown is underrated. Definitely one of the best picks I got off the waiver wire...

I'm all for keeping Hines off the field if it means more balls go his way..

Ben also has some great numbers. I dropped him for Cam early in the Season but he has surprised me.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Hines Ward is officially old and busted.

The good news is that he's in good company with T.O., Ochocinco, Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress, etc. etc.

effzee

yankeehater said:
They would be insane to cave and trade the pick. If Luck is great for 10+ years the Colts/Polian would be the laughing stocks of the NFL. I bet they could easily get more then 2 firsts for Manning if they trade him, hell Palmer almost got that much.

My biggest fear would be Manning going to the Cowboys. It seems like the kind of move Jerry would make.

Am I the only who thinks it would be a mistake to trade Manning or even select Luck on the same roster?

Now of course this all hinges on Manning coming back healthy but wouldn't it be smarter to bet on the sure thing? If healthy Manning is one of the top, if not the top, QB in the league. He can still play for another 4-5 years at a top level. Why risk losing those years and possible SBs and bet on a kid who as much hype as he has could turn out to be a bust?

If he comes back healthy I would fleece some team for the #1 pick and use the rest of the draft to select players to help Manning.

effzee

RBH said:
j3x4urICG7vyC.png

jGxuUayubHWka.png

http://the506.com/nflmaps/2011/wk9.html

Can someone explain how this works?

I see now that they again reversed the NYC region back to 49ers/Skins after switching from it to Cowboys/Seahawks but the Philly market now gets Cowboys/Seahawks.

Why is that game better more important than Skins/49ers? And why does Philly get stuck with the Cowboys game while NYC gets the Skins?

bionic77

wienke said:
Hines Ward is officially old and busted.

The good news is that he's in good company with T.O., Ochocinco, Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress, etc. etc.
He is 35 years old. Nothing lasts forever.

Hopefully he bows out gracefully. He can honestly say he overachieved (best compliment you can pay to an athlete).

effzee

wienke said:
Peyton Manning is 35 coming off of a season ending injury to his neck.

You can't pass up Luck.

And if Luck doesn't turn out to be who we think he is?

Manning is 35 but the way he plays, the amount of sacks he doesn't take, the amount of hits he doesn't take....if he comes back 100% healthy why not bank on him?

Spacebar

The game where Hines Ward bit his tongue and didn't come back in cost me a fantasy game. Never liked him since. He should retire this year and not try to linger around like Jerry Rice. Ward has had a good a career as any. Respect.

bionic77

Imagine Peyton finishing his career with the Vikings with AP.

That would be a nightmare to defend.

If they could get Peyton one more receiver and some more talent on defense they would be the SB favorites. A lot of ifs, but intriguing to think about.

jmdajr said:
Antonio Brown is underrated. Definitely one of the best picks I got off the waiver wire...

I'm all for keeping Hines off the field if it means more balls go his way..

Antonio Brown is 2nd on the Depth Chart.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
effzee said:

Manning is 35 but the way he plays, the amount of sacks he doesn't take, the amount of hits he doesn't take....if he comes back 100% healthy why not bank on him?

I think part of the problem is that you won't even know if he's 100% healthy until after the draft it sounds like. Heck, it's been shown that his exact same injury has ended careers but not 100% of the time so who knows?

I agree that if Luck isn't a Pro Bowl QB 2 years after he's drafted, then he's a HUGE bust. However, from where I'm sitting, it's probably the same amount of risk either way.

The worst thing a franchise can do, however, is hang onto a player out of sentimental value more than anything else.

bionic77

DeaconKnowledge said:
Antonio Brown is 2nd on the Depth Chart.
We get really dangerous when we sent out Wallace, Brown, Miller and Sanders/Cotchery at the same time and spread the defense out. That is tough for any team to defend if the offensive line blocks. It just isn't as potent when Sanders/Cotchery is replaced with Ward.

I don't think Hines should be benched or anything, we should just use him less (more on running plays and red zone situations).

Slo

effzee said:

Let's look at the risk reward scenarios.

Drafting Luck:
risk
1) Might piss off Peyton
2) Small chance that he's a bust.
reward
1) He could be the face of your franchise for the next 15 years.
2) Potential trade value of Peyton Manning.
3) Potential for Luck to be mentored by Manning for 2-3 years.

Not drafting Luck:
risk
1) Peyton may never play again, or never be the same, and you could become the 1980s era Colts again.
2) You WILL need to draft a QB in the next 2 years anyways.
reward
1) Peyton doesn't get his feelings hurt.

I made the mistake of taking 5 classes this semester. My Sundays are completely gone to waste cause of football. Now I'm just going to have to drop Calc 3.

talisayNon said:
I made the mistake of taking 5 classes this semester. My Sundays are completely gone to waste cause of football. Now I'm just going to have to drop Calc 3.
But calc 3 is easy, drop a hard class.

meadowrag

Banned
talisayNon said:

Record game, watch later at leisure, fast-foward through all commercials.

bionic77

I was listening to Rich Eisen's podcast and I love how Peter King makes the proclamation that the Steelers are on the verge of becoming a passing team. :lol

We have been a passing team since 2007. Man it must be fucking nice to be a NFL analysts. All you have to do is just ape or repeat what everyone else is saying.

squicken

bionic77 said:
I was listening to Rich Eisen's podcast and I love how Peter King makes the proclamation that the Steelers are on the verge of becoming a passing team. :lol

We have been a passing team since 2007. Man it must be fucking nice to be a NFL analysts. All you have to do is just ape or repeat what everyone else is saying.

King and Simmons have been mailing it in for years. I still read them, but more out of habit than anything else. It took me about 6-7 years of shitty Simpsons seasons before I just quit watching. Will eventually get there with those two.

bionic77 said:
We get really dangerous when we sent out Wallace, Brown, Miller and Sanders/Cotchery at the same time and spread the defense out. That is tough for any team to defend if the offensive line blocks. It just isn't as potent when Sanders/Cotchery is replaced with Ward.

I don't think Hines should be benched or anything, we should just use him less (more on running plays and red zone situations).

They should use him like a tight end really. He's a better blocker than the ones they have on the roster anyway. Like with Miller last week, let the young speedsters clear out space and hit him underneath. Whatever they do with him, it's a good problem to have. Still hard to imagine that they won SBs with Cedric Wilson and then Nate Washington on their roster compared with what they have today.

bionic77 said:

It all leads back to Ben. A stat I've kept hearing since Sunday is that This is Ben's first win where he throws 30 or more passes. I think the common opinion of these sportswriters and Analysts is that in order to be a passing team, you have to chuck the ball 30, 40, 50 times in a game like Brees, Rodgers, or Brady, all 3 QBs who have very little run game to speak of.

bionic77

squicken said:
King and Simmons have been mailing it in for years. I still read them, but more out of habit than anything else. It took me about 6-7 years of shitty Simpsons seasons before I just quit watching. Will eventually get there with those two.
Simmons is a comedian who makes some sports observations so I will give him a pass.

But the assholes like Lombardi and King pretend like they actually understand what the current and future trends are in the game, but this is just one of many examples of how the average fan seems to see more than they do (without access to coaches, game film, etc.).

DeaconKnowledge said:
It all leads back to Ben. A stat I've kept hearing since Sunday is that This is Ben's first win where he throws 30 or more passes. I think the common opinion of these sportswriters and Analysts is that in order to be a passing team, you have to chuck the ball 30, 40, 50 times in a game like Brees, Rodgers, or Brady, all 3 QBs who have very little run game to speak of.
Hey I like being the underdog.

I don't like this talk of the Steelers being the team to beat in the AFC. This team NEVER handles media praise well. Not Ben, not the defense, no one. I want he media to keep saying we are old, that Ben is a game manager, anything to give these bastards motivation.

effzee said:

The idea is you would rather have 10+ years of good QB play, then 3 or 4. Luck seems like a sure thing and the risk of passing on him is to great. Even if you keep Manning and try to retool for a SB run, there is no knowing if it will even work. Manning has only won one and it took an insane amount of Luck for that to happen.

effzee said:

Manning will never be 100% again.

yankeehater said:
The idea is you would rather have 10+ years of good QB play, then 3 or 4. Luck seems like a sure thing and the risk of passing on him is to great. Even if you keep Manning and try to retool for a SB run, there is no knowing if it will even work. Manning has only won one and it took an insane amount of Luck for that to happen.

PUN INTENDED?!?!?!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well, at least the Broncos scouts won't have to travel far to see Matt Barkley this weekend.

exarkun

bionic77 said:
Dude you are preaching to the choir.

I was saying Hines was washed up since last year. And if I noticed it as a casual fan on tv it must have been apparent to the team and coaches long before that.

Not only does he not have the burst to get open quickly (someone we really need in our offense to keep moving the chains) or the ability to make guys miss or run through them, but he has a bad habit in the last 2-3 years of dropping balls over the middle when he gets crunched. Ward was never the most athletic player, but he was a great receiver because he was smart, tough and most importantly always hung onto the ball. Once you stop dropping balls you shouldn't be on the field anymore.

I understand why the Steelers are giving him this much respect, but it can't be done at the team's expense. We aren't Green Bay and he isn't Brett Farve.

Did anyone else see this? Am I the only one? Did bionic just call himself a casual fan? Wtf is going on?

yankeehater said:

They should have traded for kolb

Greg

bionic77 said:
Imagine Peyton finishing his career with the Vikings with AP.

That would be a nightmare to defend.

If they could get Peyton one more receiver and some more talent on defense they would be the SB favorites. A lot of ifs, but intriguing to think about.
Fuck, I wouldn't want to play that team twice a year. AP put up 175 against us with Ponder at QB...

Nightz

Gully State said:
Because he's no longer the biggest bust of all time.Jamarcus Russell in comparison makes Leaf a lovable loser.
Ryan Leaf and the world "lovable" do not go together. At all.

Kolb not likely to play Sunday. Skeletor era beginning (again?) in Arizona..

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb is unlikely to play Sunday vs. St. Louis due to his turf toe. Still in walking boot, no practice today.

bionic77

squicken said:
I don't think it takes an MD to have concerns about a guy with broken bones in his neck coming back at 100%
Concerns are one thing, saying he is done with any degree of confidence is another.

BigAT

Not good.

@MikeGarafolo Mike Garafolo
BREAKING: Giants RB Ahmad Bradshaw has a cracked bone in his foot.

bluemax

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
jref saw your post on webzone and had to put it here.... lulz

bluemax is this you from the seahawks.net message board!?
Nope. I don't think Seattle wins more than 2-4 games the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom