• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Conference Championship |OT| - Better Games than the Switch's Launch Lineup

MechDX

Fun Fact: The Jacksonville Jaguars have won more playoff games in the last 20 years than the Dallas Cowboys.

Ded.

bionic77

They'll still have Andy Reid and his clock management though
I am probably wrong but I felt like the Chiefs outcoached the Steelers.

They had a lot of nice plays on offense that fooled our defense and kept moving the chains. I really loved the 4th down play to the fullback right before their TD. I thought our players outplayed theirs and it was those calls that kept them in the game. It also helped that the Steelers had no interest in scoring TDs and putting the game away...

Who's rooting for the Pats?

I just feel TDR is too strong a man to root for another team to finish off the Pats.

He used to be my hero, now he's dead to me!

All I have left is Mech and me and BG's power of positivity towards 8-8

Every time the Browns are eliminated from playoff contention (about week 6) the first thing out of Browns-GAF's collective mouth is "Go Asterisks".

Greg

Post every hold from the game.
QSp8Bxh.gif

I'm just trying to understand why everyone thinks it's this groundbreaking concept for Dolphins fans to be upset with their team for failing to stop the Pats. Talk about preaching to the choir. Doesn't mean I can't root against them just because my team sucks.

Speaking of teams sucking, let's recap stuff from the 2016 preseason article that didn't change in the season or playoffs

2. Bill O’Brien is labeled time after time after time as some offensive genius who is also some magical QB-guru known for developing QBs. Someone name me a QB he has developed? No, Tom Brady doesn’t count. Did you see the clown car full of QBs he had last year? Remember on Hard Knocks how offended he got when people criticized Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett? But hey, at least he ran Case Keenum out of town and into the concussion trap that is the Rams. His main innovation last year was bringing in a guy cut by the Seahawks and using him to run the wildcat.

3. The team’s best offensive player last year was Shane Lechler, the punter. Lechler’s also probably the best QB in team history.

4. Offensive genius O’Brien had his ass handed to him twice by Andy Reid. ANDY REID! And both games were in Houston.

5. How do you quiet your home crowd? Put J.J. Watt and Vince Wilfork in as running backs at the goal line during a playoff game, and still not score a touchdown.

6. The reason the Texans made the playoffs last year was the defense. A defense built by Wade Phillips, who the Texans didn’t keep as defensive coordinator because Romeo Crennel needed another sideline to destroy.

7. The owner, Bob McNair, is a homophobe who helped fund campaign ads that helped to defeat Houston’s HERO equal rights legislation. You remember those ads, right? The ones that said it was now legal for men to dress as women so they could go into women’s restrooms and rape little girls.

8. They gave Brock Osweiller a four year $72 million contract. The guy who couldn’t beat out Peyton Manning for a job even though Manning could no longer throw the ball five yards. The guy the Broncos said, “No, go ahead, you take him. We’ll just go with Mark Sanchez.”

9. If Osweiller turns into Scott Mitchell or Matt Flynn, the idiots will flood Houston’s sports talk stations demanding the team sign Vince Young.

10. The new running back is Lamar Miller, who the Dolphins gave up on because he sucked. The one time he didn’t suck? That one game he played last season against the Texans.

Check for 2-10 (didn't include 1 because it was laughing at Watt, who got IR'd too early to truly fully laugh at this time)

Matt Schaub, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, and now Brock Osweiler. Why do we always settle for backups? is Rick Smith too stupid to get a draft a franchise QB?

Check

Houston is Cleveland without the evergreen headlines. Don’t believe me? Between the Oilers and Texans, there have been zero Super Bowl appearances by a Houston football team; Our baseball team was swept in its only World Series and, just last year, allowed the Royals to come back in the 8th inning at home to send the series back to Kansas City; we convinced ourselves that Dwight Howard wasn’t a psychologically-delusional AAU-bred pre-diabetic; people seriously protested “the influx of Islam” outside of the downtown Islamic Da’wah Center owned by Hakeem Olajuwon, the only athlete to not spectacularly disappoint this city.

Check

We just extended our GM who has 2 playoff wins in 10 years for 4 more years.

3 in 11

Our answer for replacing the starting lousy backup quarterback was to pay a great deal of money for a starting lousy backup quarterback. McNair loves backup quarterbacks ALMOST as much as he hates anti-discrimination ordinances.

Check

Last year we all watched the team on Hard Knocks decide which jobber would be our first string QB, only to watch our head coach reverse his HBO monologue after week 1. Rick Smith couldn’t manage a Piggly Wiggly but he stumbled into the playoffs to save his job, then outbid nobody for Peyton’s backup. And fuck David Carr, who has more Super Bowl rings than the Texans organization.

Check

bionic77

:lol

I don't sound as crazy as Chris but he is right. Rodgers is the GOAT. He is carrying that team on his back in a way we have never seen before. And against great competition no less. The Cowboys are a really good football team. One stupid asshole in a tent should not be able to beat them by himself. And yet...

Packer fans are so lucky that most of them are probably getting multiple Switches on launch day.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
To all of you Browns fans rooting for the Pats... your trespasses will not be forgotten. Just ask wienke.

I'm confused because they should be on team NFC as well as team Meteor for the AFC.

Like they still have choices between the Falcons and Packers.

For fuck's sake Browns fans, have some dignity before you have to make a choice that will scar you for life!

I'm confused because they should be on team NFC as well as team Meteor for the AFC.

Like they still have choices between the Falcons and Packers.

For fuck's sake Browns fans, have some dignity before you have to make a choice that will scar you for life!

I at least understand not choosing RBH

:lol

I don't sound as crazy as Chris but he is right. Rodgers is the GOAT. He is carrying that team on his back in a way we have never seen before. And against great competition no less. The Cowboys are a really good football team. One stupid asshole in a tent should not be able to beat them by himself. And yet...

Packer fans are so lucky that most of them are probably getting multiple Switches on launch day.
Greg has spoken poorly of the Switch. It's enough to make you question whether or not he deserves this success...

Line_HTX

Why don't you fucking try an ACTUAL updated article from, oh, I don't know, YESTERDAY about what the Texans need to work on instead of a piece of shit from August, Sweeney?

God, you do this stupid shit every time as if your team somehow got spurned by us when we did NOTHING. Seriously, just fucking stop. You clearly are fucking clueless.

Eleuin

Matt Ryan is going to deservedly win MVP

Which also means he's going to choke in the SB

Don't think we should take the chance of that happening against the trumpiots

Speaking of teams sucking, let's recap stuff from the 2016 preseason article that didn't change in the season or playoffs

Check for 2-10 (didn't include 1 because it was laughing at Watt, who got IR'd too early to truly fully laugh at this time)

Check

Check

3 in 11

Check

Check

We just extended our GM who has 2 playoff wins in 10 years for 4 more years.

Howie Roseman would kill for success like that. He has 0 playoff wins in 10 years.

bionic77

Steelers had double digit holds of the same type throughout the game that went uncalled
Do you think the refs were why the Steelers won?

Greg has spoken poorly of the Switch. It's enough to make you question whether or not he deserves this success...
There is no accounting for bitches with poor taste.

Fat Mike should get on his hands and knees and give Rodgers a thank you BJ every day he is still employed.

They had a lot of nice plays on offense that fooled our defense and kept moving the chains. I really loved the 4th down play to the fullback right before their TD. I thought our players outplayed theirs and it was those calls that kept them in the game. It also helped that the Steelers had no interest in scoring TDs and putting the game away...

KC definitely uses a lot of creative concepts offensively. The problem is that they have to in order to make up for a lack of a traditional running game. A lot of the people calling for Alex Smith's head this morning should instead be asking their front office why they've continually put all their eggs in Jamaal Charles' basket when he obviously can't stay healthy.

Steelers had double digit holds of the same type throughout the game that went uncalled

Receipts. I call shenanigans and I smell sour grapes.

When was the last time an MVP won a SB

Best chance of keeping the jinx alive is giving it to Brady tbh

I just found out that I'll be going to the Falcons/Packers game this Sunday!

Going to the game with my dad, who was somehow able to pull some strings and get tickets.

I'm glad to have the chance to go to the Georgia Dome one last time. :')

Cannot wait to experience the atmosphere in person. Hope the crowd is as hyped as they were for the Seahawks game.

Wow that's awesome, RBH! Take lots of pictures. The last game in the Georgia Dome and you're gonna be there.

bionic77

KC definitely uses a lot of creative concepts offensively. The problem is that they have to in order to make up for a lack of a traditional running game. A lot of the people calling for Alex Smith's head this morning should instead be asking their front office why they've continually put all their eggs in Jamaal Charles' basket when he obviously can't stay healthy.
I thought Smith played a fantastic game.

Like I said I thought the Chiefs were just not as talented as the Steelers. They stayed in the game because the Steelers did not show any killer instinct in the RZ and because of good coaching and great qb play. Smith made a ton of plays just to keep them in the game.

Yet a lot of people are probably going to blame Reid and Smith for last night.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Why don't you fucking try an ACTUAL updated article from, oh, I don't know, YESTERDAY about what the Texans need to work on instead of a piece of shit from August, Sweeney?

God, you do this stupid shit every time as if your team somehow got spurned by us when we did NOTHING. Seriously, just fucking stop. You clearly are fucking clueless.

line pls

The only thing useless is Bork

2 points

Never forget!

I suck at dealing with losses, like my chest hurts. I need to get over this shit, man up.

If Packer fans can live through 2007...2011....2014 and just about every overtime playoff loss ever then you can live through this.

bionic77

“Let’s say very little moving forward. Let’s start our preparations,” Tomlin said in the video. “We spotted those [expletive] a day and a half. They played yesterday. Our game got moved to tonight. We gonna touch down at 4 o’clock in the [expletive] morning. So be it. We’ll be ready for that ass. But you ain’t gotta tell them we coming … Keep a low profile.”
We coming!

We coming for that racist ass New England!

Thats my coach fellas!

We scored 6 times and they scored 3 times. We doubled up on them and still only won by 2 points. In addition to scoring 6x, Ben threw a pick in the end zone.

This game should not have been close. We outplayed them. It should have been similar to the Trumpriot/Texan score, but inside the RZ either Haley or Ben decided to get cute and stupid and left us calling Boswell a Killer B.

When we face the Ultimate Evil this week, when the fate of the world is in our hands, I pray that Tomlin has the strength to realize that every possession over the 50 is 4 down territory. You can beat the Chefs with FGs (as we proved) but there's no fucking way you'll beat Darth Brady with FGs.

The only time you kick a FG against the Trumpriots is when there are 5 seconds left in the game and it will win it for you.

Ignore button is there. If I can use it when I'm upset, you can too. Next time someone PMs me that you clearly haven't and are continuing your harassment of me, I'm contacting mods.

The offense did a great job in my opinion. Reid just always has had a tough time clinching games. I don't really know how that can be fixed, because it's a problem other coaches have shown (other most frequent playoff example I can think of is McCarthy, and hoo boy did they get lucky they didn't lose too). Defense tried their best and did a good job holding it to FGs for the most part

I suck at dealing with losses, like my chest hurts. I need to get over this shit, man up.

It was a good game, it's okay to hold some frustration the morning after. There's always next year

Take a step back. At the end of the day, it's just a game played for our amusement. Fans of 31 teams wind up with nothing besides "next year" to look forward to at the conclusion of every season.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

Calm down line!!

bionic77

We scored 6 times and they scored 3 times. We doubled up on them and still only won by 2 points. In addition to scoring 6x, Ben threw a pick in the end zone.

This game should not have been close. We outplayed them. It should have been similar to the Trumpriot/Texan score, but inside the RZ either Haley or Ben decided to get cute and stupid and left us calling Boswell a Killer B.

When we face the Ultimate Evil this week, when the fate of the world is in our hands, I pray that Tomlin has the strength to realize that every possession over the 50 is 4 down territory. You can beat the Chefs with FGs (as we proved) but there's no fucking way you'll beat Darth Brady with FGs.

The only time you kick a FG against the Trumpriots is when there are 5 seconds left in the game and it will win it for you.
I agree with everything you said, but I still give credit to the Chiefs coaches for keeping them in a game when the Steelers were obviously more talented on both sides of the ball. It could only be close if we let the stay close. I just appreciated the creative play calls they used to move the ball because they could not just line up and beat us one on one or man to man.

Ben is due to have a great game. I hope our players are as wide open as the Texans players were this weekend. I think we can run and pass on the Pats. We just have to execute and finish them off.

We coming!

ryan or rogers
whoever plays better and wins the next game will become MVP

i think that is save to say

harSon

Banned
^Never forget.

That was a live assessment. It was more a dumb decision than a melicious play. Yeah, he's trying to dislodge the ball, as you're taught to do even in today's NFL - but he led with his shoulder and not his helmet. But with the receiver laying out for the ball, he shouldn't have gone for the hit. It's tough for your brain to override instincts at that point though, especially since it was a boom boom play. It deserved a penalty, and it ended up being a nasty hit, but I don't think the intent was malicious enough to warrant any criticism north of it deserving a flag and fine.

The Steelers marched up and down the field at will all game and the defense hit and stymied Smith all night. How is none of that coaching?

ironcreed

Banned

Nah, what we will see is the Patriots getting exposed by a superior NFC team. Sorry, Tom. No 5th ring for your thumb this year. You have had enough.

MechDX

#Patriots OC Josh McDaniels is stepping back from the coaching search to focus on playoffs. Means it’s Tom Cable or Kyle Shanahan for #49ers

Via Rappaport

squicken

The 9ers really deserve this. Should have given chip one more year with a real gm.

I always view all these McD stories with a grain of salt. Just as likely he was told he wasn't getting the job. Plus, he can't even put his staff together until after the SB, and all the good assistants are gone

Top Bottom