• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 6 |OT| Fulfill Your Destiny

Sephzilla

I think the hit on Rodgers should have drawn a flag but I don't think it was a "dirty" hit. I just hope the backlash to the Rodgers injury isn't too extreme. But yeah wienke has a point when you look at some of the good-to-great QBs that were seemingly lost to injuries.

Rvaan

Banned
We lost RG3 and are losing Andrew Luck do to injuries. Entire QB careers (and therefore potential dollars) are going down the toilet.

The league will have to do something and it’s gonna suck.
Both of those players were harmed do to neglect by their own team. NFL can't do much about that.

kmag

As much as I'd like to see Romo come in and be some kind of Packers savior, he's the best color commentary guy in football right now

While that's true, he still talks a wee bit too much, but then they all do at the beginning (and at the middle and end if you're Chris Collingsworth)

Talamius

NE
KC
LA
PHI
JAC
HOU

Still too early to tell, I say things will get interesting before Turkey Day

This is fairly accurate, plus a close 2nd tier of teams that could pull it together for a playoff run: Steelers, Saints, Panthers, Broncos, Seahawks. Would have said Packers as well before Rodgers went down.

There is no breakaway best team in the league this year.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
My Facebook feed today is full of Kaepernick vs Romo debates. If the Packers had a better offensive line I would say they should try to talk Romo out of the booth. But with the current offensive line I think Kaepernick would be a better option simply because he's more mobile, and Romo signing with the Packers might be a death sentence behind that line.

The reality is McCarthy and Thompson are probably going to stick with Hundley because they have the stupid "stick with our guy" mindset even though Hundley was overthrowing screen passes by 10 yards and attempting passes when he had zero feet on the ground yesterday

If anything, the Broncos should convince Romo to come out of retirement, but that ain't happening. His body is toast.

They need to fix the QB situation fast. Last night was all the proof that was needed.

You've got a 3 way of suck with Semen/Lynch/Bork.

MechDX

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...s-steelers-among-teams-to-save-their-seasons/

And we had a chance to revisit that trade ... we asked Watson about it on Friday after practice. He said he woke up draft day, had no idea where he was going to go, and he got a text from Hue Jackson and it said "be ready." He thought that was a sign that the Browns were interested.
It comes to No. 12, and he knew that Arizona had told him, if no one takes you by the time we pick at No. 13, we're taking you. So at No. 12, Browns on the clock, he thought maybe this is it. Looked up at the TV screen and it said the pick has been traded to Houston. Immediately looked down at his phone and it was ringing a Houston area code and that's how he got drafted.

So Watson was almost a Cardinal. Thank You Sashi.

dionysus

Yaldog
Caught up with the Saints game on gamepass.

Positives:
Front 7/6 are way better than expected. 4 sacks and like 11 batted balls. On the batted balls I have to give credit to the coaching. It reminds me of JJ Watt and Houston a few years ago when they were constantly getting batted balls.

Alvin Kamara and Ginn Jr in the screen game. This has been missing from the Saints offense for a while.

DC learning from his mistakes in the first 2 games. Playing Vaccaro closer to the box and playing Lattimore and Crawley (we started a guy who had only played against 3/4th stringers in the preason instead of Crawley) in man coverage most of the game. To me this is the biggest difference from the piss poor defense of the first 2 weeks vs. the last 3 games.

O-line is good in pass protection. Armstead is back at LT and Ramzcyk works good at RT.

Negatives:
Inconsistent offense. I realize they were playing to run out the clock in the 2nd half (and I agree with that strategy) but it was an epic dry spell of turnovers and 3-and-outs. A lot of 3-and-outs have been the case all year long. If we want to be a playoff team the offense has got to be more consistent.

Special teams. Much better than last year but special teams mistakes and turnovers are how you let the Lions back in that game.

gutshot

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
On Teddy Bridgewater post-exam today: #Vikings will activate him this week or next week. They expect him to play this year. Amazing recovery

Happy for Teddy.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
On Teddy Bridgewater post-exam today: #Vikings will activate him this week or next week. They expect him to play this year. Amazing recovery

Happy for Teddy.

They need to ban practice to keep all the qb's from getting hurt.

Sephzilla

Unrelated to Rodgers, the Packers absolutely need to fire their strength and conditioning coaches this year. At some point all of these injuries have to be reflective of a bigger problem.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Why does no one talk about Stafford's 5 touchdown passes yesterday? If you add in his handoff in the endzone, he was directly responsible for 42 points. Dude was incredible.

Sephzilla

Gonna laugh when the Vikings limp to the NFC North crown over the Lions

I honestly wont be too surprised if the Packers are still somehow in contention with a week or two to go. Any time the Packers seem vulnerable the rest of the NFC North always seems to become a battle of who wants it the least

Rvaan

Banned

You know you want to see this Bears team somehow make the playoffs because it would keep John Fox employed.

I honestly wont be too surprised if the Packers are still somehow in contention with a week or two to go. Any time the Packers seem vulnerable the rest of the NFC North always seems to become a battle of who wants it the least

I was joking with a Lions fan that Rodgers would comeback just in time to beat the Lions WK17 and win the division. It'd be too funny.

squicken

Lions already beat Minnesota. Minnesota offense only scored 7 points. Right now they are getting a lot of help from their defense with short fields. That isn't sustainable. Lions are the favorite as long as Keenum is QB

I was joking with a Lions fan that Rodgers would comeback just in time to beat the Lions WK17 and win the division. It'd be too funny.

Funnier because it already happened once in 2013

Different collarbone and injured a few weeks later that time but still

Sephzilla

We can only hope that some 2013 deja vu happens again

packwin.gif

Yah, im waiting for a few more injuries to kill us. However, everyone is stepping up and filling roles really well. A lot of people thought we were toast when bradford went down, then cook. But Keenum is doing well, and McKinnon and Murray stepped up and did well. Well see if they can keep it up.

bastardly

I'd love for Romo to come back, but yeh he had that same collar bone injury twice already. He's killing it in the booth and for his health and family's sake, just stay retired.

And that hit wasn't a penalty, looks similar to the hits Romo took that took him out, it's just a bad beat, I've seen Rodgers take bigger hits than that and bounce back up. It really does suck though, he is right now the best QB by a fucking lightyear, and in a year where the NFL is already struggling, this shit don't help.

Hindl

Unfortunately McCarthy apologists are going to have a ton of ammunition this season.

Will they though? I'd think it'd be the opposite if anything. Any team losing their franchise QB would obviously get leeway, but that Packers team without Rodgers is nothing. Without Rodgers' magic bailing out McCarthy constantly, if they go, let's say, 2-8 or 3-7 down the stretch, wouldn't that show that he's a shit coach? They wouldn't be contenders, but you'd hope your team could win at least a few games without your star QB

Sephzilla

Will they though? I'd think it'd be the opposite if anything. Any team losing their franchise QB would obviously get leeway, but that Packers team without Rodgers is nothing. Without Rodgers' magic bailing out McCarthy constantly, if they go, let's say, 2-8 or 3-7 down the stretch, wouldn't that show that he's a shit coach?

McCarthy already got exposed as an extremely mediocre coach last time Rodgers went down for an extended period of time. And that time he had a better backup QB. And yet people still think McCarthy is some savant

Will they though? I'd think it'd be the opposite if anything. Any team losing their franchise QB would obviously get leeway, but that Packers team without Rodgers is nothing. Without Rodgers' magic bailing out McCarthy constantly, if they go, let's say, 2-8 or 3-7 down the stretch, wouldn't that show that he's a shit coach? They wouldn't be contenders, but you'd hope your team could win at least a few games without your star QB

Packers are lacking talent all around the team though. Rodgers makes them contenders, but barely. That team is mediocre at best, shy of one or two guys (Matthews, Nelson).

Bitanator

I'd love for Romo to come back, but yeh he had that same collar bone injury twice already. He's killing it in the booth and for his health and family's sake, just stay retired.

And that hit wasn't a penalty, looks similar to the hits Romo took that took him out, it's just a bad beat, I've seen Rodgers take bigger hits than that and bounce back up. It really does suck though, he is right now the best QB by a fucking lightyear, and in a year where the NFL is already struggling, this shit don't help.

His collar bone broke three times. twice in 2015.

His back is also battered to hell, he is done, and I would love to see him back in that number 9 as much as anybody

This has been the case twice in his era, and the "tons of injuries" part has occurred more years than not at this point in his era. If he's not looking strongly into replacing the strength and conditioning coach, he absolutely deserves to take blame for that

No, I was saying thats what the apologists will say.

And yes, they seriously need to look into qhy their entire team is seemingly made of balsa wood. Its inexcusable, and yesterday was an amazing showing of how bad it actually is. They had what, 7 injuries?

Sephzilla

The Packers have seemingly been the most injured team in the league for seemingly the last 4 or 5 years. Outside of freak injuries like Rodgers, it's absolutely a reflection of the conditioning team

MechDX

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 1m1 minute ago
More
#Bucs QB Jameis Winston suffered an AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder, source said. It may be something he’ll be able to play through

Hindl

Packers are lacking talent all around the team though. Rodgers makes them contenders, but barely. That team is mediocre at best, shy of one or two guys (Matthews, Nelson).
Isn't that a reason to clean house? That FO has been there for how long and that's the state of the team? If you lose your star QB your season is over for a playoff run. But it shouldn't mean that your team is automatically trash. That's the state of the colts too and that FO gets routinely mocked for being awful

Sephzilla

Isn't that a reason to clean house? That FO has been there for how long and that's the state of the team? If you lose your star QB your season is over for a playoff run. But it shouldn't mean that your team is automatically trash. That's the state of the colts too and that FO gets routinely mocked for being awful

Rodgers has been masking the team's flaws for a while now. Luckily Ted Thompson is almost certainly retiring after this year so we can hopefully get someone in the front office who's not complacent with being the NFL version of the 90s Atlanta Braves. And yes, you're right, the entire team shouldn't completely go to shit the moment one player vanishes. They've been neglecting a lot of their problems for years now because they always see the end result of "we made it to the playoffs!" and thing nothing is wrong. Case in point, everybody forgot that the Packers were a hot mess the first half of last season because Rodgers went Super Saiyan late in the year.

I still think it says a lot that McCarthy has only been able to get to the Super Bowl once despite having Favre and Rodgers his entire head coaching career

Top Bottom