• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL - Dallas Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott Suspended 6 Games

Volimar

As with Tom Brady, im curious how many people here railing against the NFL are cowboys fans

I don't care about the Cowboys at all, but I'm from central Ohio and I remember when this turned out to be nothing against Elliot so it makes no sense for this to be a thing.

Kill3r7

Yep, the NFLPA got their nuts handed to them and said "thank you", easily the worst PA in sports, the fact their players don't have guaranteed contracts when the league makes the most money is hilarious.

They have little leverage that is why they are the weakest PA. Especially when you consider the short shelf life of the avg NFL player.

Zertez

It will probably get reduced to 3 games that seems about right. After Rice the NFL isn't going to take the risk of standing by.

Draxal

It will probably get reduced to 3 games that seems about right. After Rice the NFL isn't going to take the risk of standing by.

Well in the cowboys fans defense (please shoot me for saying this); they really did fuck up josh brown as well.

So you could say after John Brown they're not going to fuck up.

Nydius

I'd say the NFL painted themselves into a corner with the whole "6 games minimum!" claim but then I remember they didn't follow their own policy with Josh Brown so this just looks like another example of the NFL being inconsistent on their policies.

I don't hate Goodell (I don't like him either, I'm purely indifferent to him) but from where I sit this last decade of his "leadership" have caused considerable problems for the NFL as a whole. From the piss poor way the league has handled personnel discipline to the CTE/concussion issues that they kept trying to ignore until they could no longer ignore it, just seems to me Goodell has continually turned every issue into a blunder.

Unfortunately, the NFLPA can't really do much and Goodell knows it.

I'm going to set the over/under on total games suspended after appeal at 2.5. I'll take the over (guessing 3).

Well in the cowboys fans defense (please shoot me for saying this); they really did fuck up josh brown as well.

So you could say after John Brown they're not going to fuck up.

Josh Brown is a kicker no one knows about. Yes he's white but he's also a gnat. An old gnat on the last vapors of his career. Elliott is a future star and EVERYONE knows him. They can't let it slide when they are trying to court the female demographic. Anyone who thinks this is about "justice" or "proper punishment" is missing the big picture.

BadAss2961

This should get reduced to 3 at the most. NFL knew this when they went with 6.

And there's still nothing concrete against Zeke as far as I know. Bulllshit suspension.

As with Tom Brady, im curious how many people here railing against the NFL are cowboys fans

I'm not and the issue here even if we ignore that he wasn't convicted is that there's zero consistency when it comes to how the NFL punishes people for domestic violence. There's a set level of punishment if you violate their performance enhancing policy. First pop is 4 games, second is 10 games and the third is two seasons. As others have mentioned, Josh Brown admitted to domestic violence and only received one game. Ray Rice, had he actually been picked back up, would've only been suspended for two games. There was photographic evidence of Greg Hardy's abuse and he initially got 10 games and that was reduced to 4. Goodell just seems to make up shit on the fly when it comes to this issue.

Josh Brown is a kicker no one knows about. Yes he's white but he's also a gnat. Elliott is a future star and EVERYONE knows him. They can't let it slide when they are trying to court the female demographic.

But the policy is supposed to be first time violators 6 games MINIMUM, clearly that "minimum" only matters when the nfl feels it matters.

Player admits to domestic violence, is given a 1 game suspension

Player denies domies violence, charges are dropped due to lack of evidence and conflicting stories, is given a 6 game suspension

Without any context of either player, who they play for, the color of their skin, or what position they play, you would cry foul to the above. The suspensions look like they should be swapped with the player who had the bad look accusation getting a 1 game suspension and the guy admitting to it getting the 6 game minimum.

Servbot24

Banned
If he committed domestic violence he should be banned from the league and probably in prison. Not playing football for a few weeks is not a fitting punishment.

If he is not found guilty then he should receive 0 games of suspension and an apology from the league for damaging his reputation.

I don't see how carving a middle ground is appropriate. I guess it depends on the specifics of the assault charge (did he shove her into a couch like in The Room or something worse), but I have a hard time finding the league's verdict to be sensible.

Bitanator

With the pictures the NFL has examined, it will be damn hard for Elliott to prove his hands were not on the victim over the course of that week. I'd say expect the six games to stick, if lucky he gets four.

Yeah I don't understand this at all. If he has been cleared by authorities what could the NFL have possibly concluded?

They concluded that the pictures of her injuries along with him lifting up a girl's shirt at a parade were proof enough. This isn't a court room. No such thing as reasonable doubt.

Id be very interested to see what Zeke's response was to the pictures. Did he ever talk about it publicly?

SonnyBoy

Most NFL fans only give a damn about Rogers inconsistency when it impacts their team. This is par for the course for him and the league.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Cowboys first six games

Giants
Broncos
Cardinals
Rams
Packers
49ers

I can see them going 2-4.....RIP Cows....

Cowboys first six games

Giants
Broncos
Cardinals
Rams
Packers
49ers

Nah, he isn't as good as people are saying. That O-Line is the real beast. Any decent running back can get 1k yards with that line.

Bitanator

Cowboys first six games

Giants
Broncos
Cardinals
Rams
Packers
49ers

Yeah their entire oline was suspended and dez broke his foot again, Dak has chronic diarrhea for a month and Kellen Moore has to start.

They will be fine

NH Apache

Banned
Whether or not it happened, the perceived equivalency between a 6 game suspension for domestic violence and a 4 game for nonstandard football pressure is really sad. NFL stays losing.

Draxal

tbh, maybe jerry could stop begging goodell to schedule giants at home for their season opener for the 20234240823049823th time in a row.

They concluded that the pictures of her injuries along with him lifting up a girl's shirt at a parade were proof enough. This isn't a court room. No such thing as reasonable doubt.

Id be very interested to see what Zeke's response was to the pictures. Did he ever talk about it publicly?

So an unrelated incident to his dv case was used to prove photos that a prosecutors office deemed as inconclusive are conclusive of dv?

HeySeuss

thanks for that, definitely changes my opinion on this situation though given prior history I'm still incredibly skeptical of Goodell and the NFL

Should it though? We already know she liked and tried to get her friends to lie. Any form of "proof" presented by her should be seen as extremely suspect.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Nah, he isn't as good as people are saying. That O-Line is the real beast. Any decent running back can get 1k yards with that line.

Even with Zeke, That first six games is a killer 2-4 or 3-3 is at best...

Doran902

Yeah I don't understand this at all. If he has been cleared by authorities what could the NFL have possibly concluded?

It says it doesn't matter if you are charged with a crime as long as there is enough evidence that goes against the players code of conduct they will still suspend or banish you and there was evidence, even video evidence for 1 of the incidents.

It's like any other job if you do something they don't like / against their code of conduct they can get rid of you or suspend you even if the cops aren't involved.

So an unrelated incident to his dv case was used to prove photos that a prosecutors office deemed as inconclusive are conclusive of dv?

No, he was suspended based on these separate incidents.

Part of the reason that the case couldn't go forward is that the witness was unreliable based on her statements to friends and that creates a reasonable doubt that no DA would touch. This isn't a court room. There is no reasonable doubt.

The NFL claims that they looked at the pictures, verified their date, had professionals look at them and interviewed the witnesses themselves. According to the NFL's investigation, there was no evidence that Zeke did not cause those injuries and, according to them, he broke the league's conduct policy.

According to the contract that Zeke himself signed, the NFL has every right to do that. It's a bullshit set up, but it's up to the NFLPA to do something about it in future negotiations. Until then, the NFL is doing everything they can to repair their image when it comes to DV.

phanphare

Banned
Whether or not it happened, the perceived equivalency between a 6 game suspension for domestic violence and a 4 game for nonstandard football pressure is really sad. NFL stays losing.

hey let's keep all the facts straight. that'd be a 4 game suspension for nonstandard football pressure that was never actually concluded to be nonstandard.

Should it though? We already know she liked and tried to get her friends to lie. Any form of "proof" presented by her should be seen as extremely suspect.

yeah true like I said I remain skeptical of goodell and co given their past history of being absolute shit. there was also the st patty's day thing though I don't know anything about that incident beyond what was in the letter.

As with Tom Brady, the league just makes up discipline as it goes along. The Brady suspension was ridiculous and this one looks like it might be too.

In both cases, the league has some secret, private investigation that they conduct behind closed doors, the league reviews it internally by the same group that does the investigation and gives the suspension, and then the appeal is reviewed by the same people who did the investigation and gave the suspension.

It's an absurd system, but in so far as that's the system the Players Union agreed to, that's the one they have. League is justified by the by-laws of the NFL to be the prosecution, the jury, the judge, and the executioner, but they have no integrity or credibility.

Zeke Elliot is every bit as good as people are saying. He's in a great spot and it's nice to see a great offensive player behind a great offensive line. Any decent running back can get 1,000 yards on that team, but there's only a select few backs who can get 1600 in 15 games, and Elliot is one of those select few.

Cowboys first six games

Giants
Broncos
Cardinals
Rams
Packers
49ers

Only Packers and Giants are good
Broncos, Cardinals is a toss up , even 🐐Jimmy beat the Cardinals in their own building
lol Rams, 49ers

I'd say they go 3-3 at worst if Zeke is doing the full 6 games
He'll get it reduced to 4 if he's found not guilty

No, he was suspended based on these separate incidents.

Part of the reason that the case couldn't go forward is that the witness was unreliable based on her statements to friends and that creates a reasonable doubt that no DA would touch. This isn't a court room. There is no reasonable doubt.

The NFL claims that they looked at the pictures, verified their date, had professionals look at them and interviewed the witnesses themselves. According to the NFL's investigation, there was no evidence that Zeke did not cause those injuries and, according to them, he broke the league's conduct policy.

According to the contract that Zeke himself signed, the NFL has every right to do that. It's a bullshit set up, but it's up to the NFLPA to do something about it in future negotiations. Until then, the NFL is doing everything they can to repair their image when it comes to DV.

But all those incidents were only able to be used against zeke because the nfl dragged it's heels for so long. I understand the point is that the nflpa fucked up and gave goodell too much power and he could suspend anyone for any reason he feels like. My point is there is no evidence zeke didn't cause or did cause those injuries, it's 100% conjecture and the nfl is just erring on the side of "well if we suspend him and it comes out he was innocent it'll be less of a bad look then if we don't suspend him and it turns out he did" which is what is gross.

Top Bottom