• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL - Dallas Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott Suspended 6 Games

Mudcrab

If98z75.jpg

If found not guilty does he get his pay back?

He's not on trial, so he'll never be found guilty or not guilty. The actual charges were dropped. Zeke will lose 240K per game he misses (so about $1.5 million if he misses all 6). No matter what, he's lost the injury guarantee in his contract (from what I heard on ESPN radio) which is complete bullshit, especially considering the punishment a RB takes.

He is good but he's not the key to the season. Put him on the Jets and see how close he gets to 1600 yards.

Put any player on the Jets and they're going to be much worse. I hate these sorts of arguments... like "Put this star on this terrible franchise and see how they'd do!" The reason terrible franchises are perennially terrible is because even when they get good talent, they fuck it up with bad coaching, bad schemes, bad gameplans, etc.

jmdajr

He's not on trial, so he'll never be found guilty or not guilty. The actual charges were dropped. Zeke will lose 240K per game he misses (so about $1.5 million if he misses all 6). No matter what, he's lost the injury guarantee in his contract (from what I heard on ESPN radio) which is complete bullshit, especially considering the punishment a RB takes.

Has this woman pressed chargers?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
6 games was rough it could get lowered but he does deserve it. St.Patty's day incident didn't help and the bar fight was even part of this. They have photo's of the ex so they probably saw something reasonable.

Put any player on the Jets and they're going to be much worse. I hate these sorts of arguments... like "Put this star on this terrible franchise and see how they'd do!" The reason terrible franchises are perennially terrible is because even when they get good talent, they fuck it up with bad coaching, bad schemes, bad gameplans, etc.

Don't see how that disproves my original point. Dallas has a really solid core. Especially the O-Line, so as I said put any decent running back in there and they will be fine.

Has this woman pressed chargers?

She did not, and the Attorney General in the city in Ohio did not pursue charges because they, quote, found her not credible.

Coupled with the allegations, that were dropped, Zeke has had a couple of incidents detailed in the OP that were never criminal, but they've followed him around. In one he pulled down a woman's shirt, which could be sexual assault if someone came through, and in another he was in a bar fight. Legally nothing has ever come from those allegations/incidents.

Don't see how that disproves my original point. Dallas has a really solid core. Especially the O-Line, so as I said put any decent running back in there and they will be fine.

"Being fine" and "being excellent" are two different things. Maybe an average back like L. Blount or Latavius Murray would "be fine" in Dallas, but you put Elliot in that circumstance and he becomes excellent. Rushing for 1,000 yards is not the same as rushing for 1630 yards in 15 games. He had one of the best seasons for any rookie running back in NFL history. I don't think anybody is putting him in Canton, but he's an excellent running back. Also doing 1600 in 2016 is impressive... He was 300+ yards more than the #2 rushing leader.

prag16

Banned
Did everyone here crying foul actually read through the six page letter the NFL sent Zeke? It puts things in some perspective and imo adds some weight to the decision.

I expect the appeal to be heard before the season starts, and for him to ultimately sit out the first 3-4 games.

Did everyone here crying foul actually read through the six page letter the NFL sent Zeke? It puts things in some perspective and imo adds some weight to the decision.

I expect the appeal to be heard before the season starts, and for him to ultimately sit out the first 3-4 games.

Yea it reminded me of the bullshit memo for deflategate.

No I have not read it yet, may change my opinion. I saw a PDF posted in here, but I can't open on my phone it for some reason.

BadAss2961

He is good but he's not the key to the season. Put him on the Jets and see how close he gets to 1600 yards.
Point is this will hurt Dallas a lot. They need everything going to get off to a good start, and Zeke can easily be the difference between a win and a loss from week to week.

Not every team is the Patriots who trot anyone out there and win regardless of suspension or injury.

Point is this will hurt Dallas a lot.

Not every team is the Patriots who trot anyone out there and win regardless of suspension or injury.

It will hurt, but it won't sink their season. Lean on Dez a little more instead of running it every single play. The O-Line can be enough of a difference maker for someone like McFadden and Morris to be productive.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Point is this will hurt Dallas a lot. They need everything going to get off to a good start.

I don't see it being a major problem. It's not like he wouldn't be back for the last 10, and they still got really good talent behind Zeke, and at other positions. Hell, come playoffs you'll have Zeke without the wear and tear of a full season. Some are acting like without Zeke the Cowboys are the Cleveland Browns.

I think people would be fine with this decision if the NFL was consistent with its suspensions but its a bs decision and the NFL is inconsistent and incompetent. Josh Brown admitted to abusing his wife and said this
“I viewed myself as God basically and she was my slave,’’ he wrote. “I carried an overwhelming sense of entitlement because I put money higher than God and I used it as a power tool.”
and he got one game. If the NFL really believes Elliot abused this woman suspend him for the whole season not six games that would really send a message domestic violence is not to be tolerated. Its really just a bs pr moved because he's been caught up in some bad pr incidents and the NFL needs a pr boost after going light on dosmestic abusers in the past and black balling Colin Kaepernick.

JABEE

With the influence NFL teams have on local police and politicians, not getting charged is probably not the best indicator of whether an offense or offenses occurred.

So the league might have done a better job investigating a real serious issue than the police?

Huh...

I'm not sure that's completely fair. The police have a much higher bar to overcome than the NFL. Once the police/Zeke's lawyers had evidence that the victim lied and tried to affect a witness's statements, it was going to be near impossible to convict him.

prag16

Banned
I think people would be fine with this decision if the NFL was consistent with its suspensions but its a bs decision and the NFL is inconsistent and incompetent. Josh Brown admitted to abusing his wife and said this and he got one game. If the NFL really believes Elliot abused this woman suspend him for the whole season not six games that would really send a message domestic violence is not to be tolerated. Its really just a bs pr moved because he's been caught up in some bad pr incidents and the NFL needs a pr boost after going light on dosmestic abusers in the past and black balling Colin Kaepernick.

Brown's statement and admission at least shows a much higher maturity level than Zeke is likely to exhibit any time soon. Exposing the woman's breasts CAUGHT ON TAPE alone, never mind the domestic abuse, is probably enough for them to ding him for a game or two based on "conduct detrimental".

Zeke is an immature idiot, and I don't exactly have a ton of sympathy for him right now.

JABEE

She field a police report but they didnt ever pursue charges because she sent text messages to her friend telling her to say she witnessed Zeke dragging her out of the car when she wasnt even there.

Z2a5orP.jpg

What if it actually happened, but there were no witnesses?

The victim may have been abused, but felt no one would believe her over the mega-star pro athlete.

The NFL said they had more evidence of a series of abuse spanning three days. I would like to read it.

JABEE

So the league might have done a better job investigating a real serious issue than the police?

Huh...

The district attorney gets free on-field tickets to Eagles games.

All NFL teams have connections with local police and hire them to work in their own security teams.

What if it actually happened, but there were no witnesses?

The victim may have been abused, but felt no one would believe her over the mega-star pro athlete.

The NFL said they had more evidence of a series of abuse spanning three days. I would like to read it.

I can definitely see that. I've also read people that seemed to be referring to other text messages she sent about Zeke, but I haven't seen those.

The NFL says they have a serious of pictures that she sent to family members over the course of a few days that detailed bruising and injuries.

Tankard

I'm not sure that's completely fair. The police have a much higher bar to overcome than the NFL. Once the police/Zeke's lawyers had evidence that the victim lied and tried to affect a witness's statements, it was going to be near impossible to convict him.

All NFL teams have connections with local police and hire them to work in their own security teams.

Fair enough. Good they kept investigating it.

Dishwalla

Banned
lol good job there Goodell, now you've got the two biggest teams in your league hating your ass. That's not to say the rest of the teams/fans particularly like him in the first place either.

Brown's statement and admission at least shows a much higher maturity level than Zeke is likely to exhibit any time soon. Exposing the woman's breasts CAUGHT ON TAPE alone, never mind the domestic abuse, is probably enough for them to ding him for a game or two based on "conduct detrimental".

Zeke is an immature idiot, and I don't exactly have a ton of sympathy for him right now.

Yes because Josh Brown showed a lot of maturity to beat his wife and treat her like his slave. Dude think about what your saying. He only admitted to it because his wife pressed charges and wanted a divorce. I am saying if they truly believe he abused this woman which is what their letter said suspend him for the whole year they have all the evidence not some bs six games suspension.

lol good job there Goodell, now you've got the two biggest teams in your league hating your ass. That's not to say the rest of the teams/fans particularly like him in the first place either.

Goodell doesn't care at all. He works for the owners only and his 30 other bosses are super happy that he's the scapegoat and not them.

Cat Party

Yup. It's extremely fucked up. It's actually probably worse with big college programs, where the whole town is tied to the team.

Falchion

That's a huge loss for the Cowboys. The NFL's suspensions are so weird, I never know what is going to get a certain length.

Flakster99

I am NOT a Coyboys fan whatsoever, but what a load of fucking shit this decision is. The NFLPA really fucked up, and I mean they are absolutely pathetic and are dead last in all major sports. Ray Rice, Tom Brady, etc etc etc The NFL are absolutely unpredictable with their decision making. In other words fuck Roger Goodell and fuck the NFL.

Draxal

I mean one scary thing about the Ray Rice scandal is that the Ravens pretty much bought out the AC DA.

Does this mean we can label all Cowboys fans as domestic abuse supporters?

This is pretty muddy, however Greg Hardy was NO NO NO.

]Point is this will hurt Dallas a lot.[/B] They need everything going to get off to a good start, and Zeke can easily be the difference between a win and a loss from week to week.

Will it? Dallas O-line is God Tier. If nothing else we'll see how much of Elliot's 2016 performance was him and how much was the road graders in front of him.

Domestic violence is punished but forgiven in the NFL. So long as they stand for the anthem when they get back.

In other news, this may open up the NFC East since I considered Dallas to be the favorite.

rokkerkory

Good grief, Cowboys coming in 3rd in division. Hopefully it'll teach him a lesson.

PS I'd still draft him but later on.

Top Bottom