• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Wrayfield

I just can't read fantasy. It's so boring. A friend tried to put me onto the books a few years ago and I couldn't get into it. Wife loves the books though - she blew through the first 4 in 6 months.

I think when you are given the wrong books, that impression might be true to you. It was for me, and as a result, I ignored this genre almost entirely throughout my childhood and youth. Only picked up some fantasy classics a few years ago and realised, I should've taken certain works more seriously.

Redux

Banned
Who are you?

iK5Qnbo6EzzkS.gif

Why I am a member of the Gaming-Age forum.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I keep clicking that damn ShopEcko banner ad for 50% off but they never have the item I want in the size I need. Damn you, Marc Ecko, you pretentious bastard!

I think when you are given the wrong books, that impression might be true to you. It was for me, and as a result, I ignored this genre almost entirely throughout my childhood and youth. Only picked up some fantasy classics a few years ago and realised, I should've taken certain works more seriously.

It’s a pretty enduring problem with me, I’m afraid. I’ve tried tons of fantasy for years on end and the same thing always happens – I wander off, then lose interest and drop it. I just don’t latch onto the concept in print. Pretty much any other genre, no problem.

yacobod

Banned
And it's obvious that TWOW is going to be uber-climactic, a la ASOS. All of the plot lines are reaching a critical point.

that's like people saying the next Metallica album is going to be like Master of Puppets. Ship has sailed. The shark has been jumped.

The most hilarious thing about the TV show's OT is that fanboys are defending the cheesy skinemax sexposition on the show.

I haven't read A Feast For Crows yet.

S2 isn't great so far. Let's hope it picks up.

I'd skip it. Maybe the tv show can make something watchable out of books 4 and 5.

eznark

Banned
that's like people saying the next Metallica album is going to be like Master of Puppets. Ship has sailed. The shark has been jumped.

You're going to feel pretty dumb when
the Zombie Starks
take over the kingdom and the finale is just the ice people doing the Thriller dance.

I'd watch.

The most hilarious thing about the TV show's OT is that fanboys are defending the cheesy skinemax sexposition on the show.

What’s the average age of GAF? 17? That exposition is responsible for about half of the threads orgasms, minimum.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I personally don't feel like it jumped the shark, but I can admit that AFFC and ADWD were not perfect. However, I feel like the ire directed toward those books is overblown.

I'll never watch Bruce Almighty the same anymore, knowing that God was basically a child molester.

I'm gonna pretend you didn't use that movie just for the joke and that you actually like it. This will be important in a moment.

Why would you ever watch that garbage after the first time?

Step-Grand Daughter.

Didn't need to read the rest of it. Step was the only word that mattered

The first 2 books of ASOIAF were awesome. Then the 3rd one was great, and then came AFFC and ADWD and you could tell that GRRM is above being edited. Someone needs to take a samurai to those two books and hack it to pieces and re-assemble them into a single, concise story. There's just waaaaay too much shit in those books. There are some pearls, but you really get a mouthful of FMT's favorite in finding them.

Wrayfield

so has anyone else heard the "Long/8th for 3rd" rumor yet? I'm guessing it has as much chance of being legitimate as the Sanchize-to-Vikes rumor, but I certainly like it a lot more.

My ass... No deal. Then again, any ridiculous rumour involving Ireland could happen.

Buckethead said:
Completely unable to admit flaws in their favorite show.
There's plenty of flaws. I don't get the uproar or caring about the sex scenes though. From what I've read online, the show is far more tame than the books in that regard (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and the show is on a pay channel.

Baelish is a grimy, conniving bastard that runs a high priced whore house operating in the underbelly of King's Landing for instance. I don't go into his scenes expecting Barney and friends nor do I expect HBO to treat them as such. Is it gratuitous? At times but meh. I don't know and considering it hasn't hampered the storytelling at all for me - I'm completely ambivalent to it.

WedgeX

Banned
Well, cliff avril is going to be in Detroit next week! But he's not going to be practicing since he hasn't signed the franchise offer...

There's plenty of flaws. I don't get the uproar or caring about the sex scenes though.
Some maybe but it's always worse in your imagination (see Hitchcock's implied action concept).

Also... books are books.
You can be as detailed/extravagant/long-winded as you like. No limits but your imagination.

For TV you're severely limited by budget/running time/deadlines.

You can relay info more quickly and eliminate the fluff which is basically what most of the sex stuff is/has been. When you keep unnessary stuff in and even add to it - it's just extremely self-indulgent.

Also the stuff with Littlefinger and Christina Hendricks Jr. has been overly long and redundant.

Buckethead said:
Also... books are books.
You can be as detailed/extravagant/long-winded as you like. No limits but your imagination.
By those rules, the folks behind Game of Thrones can feel free to be as self-indulgent as they like with their interpretation of the books. The two aren't mutually exclusive based on medium. If anything, I'm less apt to excuse/accept a long-winded (read: laborious) book than I am a 30 second explicit sex scene on a TV show. I don't have to read page upon page of the latter.

We could argue budgetary constraints in so far as the effects work, production/sets etc. I don't think HBO is paying a premium for tits and ass. Though they seem to be charging for it.;)

I do agree on the self-indulgence aspect of the sex scenes (at times) and surely some of the titillation is due to HBO having the ability to show and tell as mentioned, but from a purely subjective standpoint it simply hasn't distracted from the storytelling, pacing or my enjoyment of the show. My wife watches the show with me and has no issue with it either. /shrug

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ænima;36791651 said:
Agreed.

Above legal age + Not related by blood = Play on player

His wife divorced him apparently in part because it was a 10 year affair. She's 27 right now. He is 74. Just saying.

If anything, I'm less apt to excuse/accept a long-winded (read: laborious) book than I am a 30 second explicit sex scene on a TV show. I don't have to read page upon page of the latter.
They've cut a lot of stuff out already. If you haven't read the books it's very unclear.

Cutting down on the sex stuff they could have:
- Properly introduced Stannis/Dragonstone/The Seven vs. The Lord of The Light (proper prologue)
- Set up The Nights Watch moving beyond the Wall instead of them getting to Craster's in 2 seconds.

It's not just the 30 second stuff which is awful enough. It's Ros and Littlefinger. Get them the fuck off the screen.

Buckethead said:
They've cut a lot of stuff out already. If you haven't read the books it's very unclear.
That's understandable. As a non-book reader you could see where it wouldn't be as a much of an issue for me. One of those "don't know what I'm missing" situations. Though personally, it's nice going into a series based on a book with none of the baggage for once (a rarity for me). A big reason why I'm happy to wait until the show has wrapped up before I delve into the books. Though I may give the first two a read after S2 wraps up.

Milchjon

Ok, embarassing question time: Is there a rule where the ball is placed along the yard line before the play? I'd guess it's always placed in the middle, but I think I've seen plays, especially kicks, where it's closer to the hash marks?

If I'm completely confused, just ignore my rambling ;-)

Talon

Ok, embarassing question time: Is there a rule where the ball is placed along the yard line before the play? I'd guess it's always placed in the middle, but I think I've seen plays, especially kicks, where it's closer to the hash marks?

If I'm completely confused, just ignore my rambling ;-)
Not sure if serious.

The ball is placed between the hashmarks depending on where the play ends. If it's between the hashmark and the sideline, it's placed right at the hashmark. If it's between the two, its placed at the same spot.

Top Bottom