• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread: "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffin was better than Luck in every statistical category last year, every single one. Griffin was more accurate by 1% point (not significant but still), threw for 700 more yards, ran for 550 more yards, threw 4 less INTs, had a full 2 yards per attempt higher than Luck (10.7 to 8.7), both had similar strength of schedule so that wasn't a factor.

And of course Griffin destroyed everyone at the combine so the physical factor was in his court as well.

I guarantee you if all of his stats last year and measurables from the combine were instead put on a white body instead of a black one, he would have been #1 pick. No doubt in my mind.

Comparing stats in college doesn't mean as much as you want it to be, otherwise Texas Tech and Hawaii would be putting QBs in the pros every year. Luck has been doing it longer and has physical tools that are just as impressive as RG3s considering his size and build. The guy is built like a tank yet is a tremendous athlete. Stop acting like he's Drew Bledsoe and RG3 blows him away athletically.

eznark

Banned
And of course Griffin destroyed everyone at the combine so the physical factor was in his court as well.

I guess you're only counting the 40? I think Luck was better in all the jumping drills. Not sure about the agility drills (I don't even think either participated). Did you see Luck's broad jump?! Holy shit!

That said, the sole reason Luck is ahead of Griffin is offensive system. :jnc at NFL executives basing their careers on racism.

Plus, Irsay totally has black friends!

wNHCg.jpg

Comparing stats in college doesn't mean as much as you want it to be, otherwise Texas Tech and Hawaii would be putting QBs in the pros every year. Luck has been doing it longer and has physical tools that are just as impressive as RG3s considering his size and build. The guy is built like a tank yet is a tremendous athlete. Stop acting like he's Drew Bledsoe and RG3 blows him away athletically.

No shit Timmy Chang stats mean nothing, but neither of them played in that type of offense. And Griffin is definitely more physically gifted. The fact that Luck did it longer really doesn't mean anything since we're talking about such a small sample size. This last full season is what counts.

eznark

Banned
The Panthers went from scoring 16 TDs two years ago to 48 this past year. And Cam accounted for 35 of them himself.

bs2LU.jpg

He accounted for 48 of them.

And Griffin is definitely more physically gifted.
Bullshit. If they did the exact same things yesterday at the combine but their skin colors were reversed you'd say "look at Luck jump, so much better an athlete! Anyone can run!"

You're such a racist, dude.

No shit Timmy Chang stats mean nothing, but neither of them played in that type of offense. And Griffin is definitely more physically gifted. The fact that Luck did it longer really doesn't mean anything since we're talking about such a small sample size. This last full season is what counts.

It does matter. Luck has a larger body of work to go off of. He would have been the number 1 pick last year if he wanted to, while nobody knew RG3 last year. Luck was the far and away favorite to be the best college QB and overall number 1 pick and would have to have had a terrible season or injury for someone else to overtake that, white or black. And yes, Griffin is more physically gifted, but Luck is still a beast in his own right. At the end of the day both of these guys have the tools to be great I don't see why you are trying to play the race card here when it's completely unnecessary. Stop acting like taking Luck over Griffin is blasphemous. RG3 is going to be the number 2 overall pick. He'll be alright.

LJ11

stats don't mean shit at the college level.

Edit: Also it seems this thread is slowly seeping towards what it was like last year, I think jinxed it by posting that one post about mwsnatural!

When homeless guys start yelling on the subway I just ignore them.

Except for that one guy who had a saxophone and threatened to keep playing until we paid him. Ran out on the next stop.

jakncoke

Banned
It does matter. Luck has a larger body of work to go off of. He would have been the number 1 pick last year if he wanted to, while nobody knew RG3 last year. Luck was the far and away favorite to be the best college QB and overall number 1 pick and would have to have had a terrible season or injury for someone else to overtake that, white or black. And yes, Griffin is more physically gifted, but Luck is still a beast in his own right. At the end of the day both of these guys have the tools to be great I don't see why you are trying to play the race card here when it's completely unnecessary. Stop acting like taking Luck over Griffin is blasphemous. RG3 is going to be the number 2 overall pick. He'll be alright.

If he goes to the Browns I beg to differ

eznark

Banned

Except for that one guy who had a saxophone and threatened to keep playing until we paid him. Ran out on the next stop.

You're missing out. It's highly entertaining and no one get riled easier.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Who do you think we're going to end up drafting?

Bro either keep your avatar as cookie monster or have a niners one for the rest of the offseason. Choice is yours!

LJ11

You're missing out. It's highly entertaining and no one get riled easier.
As long as it doesn't turn into race wars, you guys got banned last season.

Who do you think we're going to end up drafting?

Not sure dude, really we could use anyone. Desperately need a pass rusher

My choice would be LT>DE>CB>LB>WR in that order. Think we can get a WR on the 2nd day.

Have two 4ths and two 5ths, may be able to take our 3rd round pick and move up for another 2nd. There's no one guy I like more than the others that's likely to be there at 10.

WanderingWind

As long as it doesn't turn into race wars, you guys got banned last season.

Not sure dude, really we could use anyone. Desperately need a pass rusher

My choice would be LT>DE>CB>LB>WR in that order. Think we can get a WR on the 2nd day.

Have two 4ths and two 5ths, may be able to take our 3rd round pick and move up in the 2nd. There's no one guy I like more than the others that's likely to be there at 10.

Sigh. How depressing...

squicken

There's no one guy I like more than the others that's likely to be there at 10.

That's kind of my thing with trading to the Browns. Is the 4th pick better than 10? How many guys are at the elite tier? Right now, just based off of what I read, Kalil and the two QBs are ahead of the rest.

LJ11

Sigh. How depressing...

They'll figure it out.

A lot depends on FA too. Heard they're working on an extension with Bell but if they don't resign him then they're probably going to take a LT.

Sounds like Chandler's gone. He wants money, never made any and he's going to test the market.

Shrewd move to get Chandler in the first place. Was on the Cowboys, originally drafted by Nix, but the Cowboys had 3 TEs on their roster and one on the practice squad, a guy they liked out of Mizzou. Nix went and claimed the TE off the practice squad, so the Cowboys had to cut a TE or part ways with the young guy. They weren't going to cut Witten or Bennett, so they cut Chandler and Nix got his guy.

That's kind of my thing with trading to the Browns. Is the 4th pick better than 10? How many guys are at the elite tier? Right now, just based off of what I read, Kalil and the two QBs are ahead of the rest.

You'll get Claiborne, I know you want offense but he's a good player.

Bowser

I think Claiborne's worth a top 5 selection as well. Rams don't have any great (hell, good) CBs either, IIRC.

jakncoke

Banned
It seems we're under the under now this year.

The NFL's busiest team this offseason, the Steelers whacked $25 million in three weeks by restructuring the contracts of five players. This got Pittsburgh under the cap this year, but the $25 million doesn't just disappear. The chunk of cap change gets spread over future years.

But like this article on NFL nation is saying, we just bought a little extra time.

The first real pinch will come in 2013, when the Steelers could be anywhere from $10 million to $15 million over the cap depending on the limit next year.Add that to having three starters on offense becoming unrestricted free agents: wide receiver Mike Wallace (if he doesn't go elsewhere this year as a restricted free agent), running back Rashard Mendenhall and tight end Heath Miller.

Going to be ugly next year as well it seems for us + Antonio Brown will be RFA next year.

What helps the Steelers is that the salary cap is expected to jump significantly in 2014 and beyond, perhaps as much as $30 million,

I said wow.

LJ11

I remember him being on the Giants practice squad for awhile as well. What kind of money is he looking for?

I don't know really, haven't seen any numbers floated around. Guy has made no money so he just wants to make more than what the Bills are probably offering.

Bills have to sign, Steve, Bryd, Levitre, Wood, and 3 of the 4 will command top 5 money I think. Still have to fill more holes as well, so they can't really afford to go out and pay a TE, even if isn't all that much.

brentech

Plus, Irsay totally has black friends!

wNHCg.jpg
That picture instantly makes me think of how no other superstar wide receiver has been instantly out of the league so fast. Part injury, part rumors of some crime, but so many guys get chances in other places and can't let it go.

Was like the first sniff of problems and he hid in a foxhole. And I can't figure out if that's even better or worse.

WanderingWind

That picture instantly makes me think of how no other superstar wide receiver has been instantly out of the league so fast. Part injury, part rumors of some crime, but so many guys get chances in other places and can't let it go.

Was like the first sniff of problems and he hid in a foxhole. And I can't figure out if that's even better or worse.

Yeah, something weird went down with Harrison. You don't even hear him brought up any more. Not a peep for one of the most prolific receivers ever.

All they are talking about today on Philly sports talk radio is how the Eagles are going to move up to 2 and draft RGIII, lol at that. I think I might jump ship if they did something that stupid.

Wtf? He's faster than that for sure. He obviously didn't prepare for the combine and doesn't give a single fuck. It's like graduating from college and going to your job interviews wearing pajamas and a sticker that says Fuck You on it.

That's surely going to help convince people he doesn't have character issues.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hope we tag Flynn and get something for him.

That's about my only draft concern at this point because outside that, it's a matter of waiting to see what kind of treasure (defensive hopefully) falls down to us.

That's about my only draft concern at this point because outside that, it's a matter of waiting to see what kind of treasure (defensive hopefully) falls down to us.

If this seriously happens i'm going to be convinced that some of these guys in the league are morons.

I hope it fucking backfires and you over pay a back up lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom