• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL presenting a plan to owners where if you hire a minority head coach or executive you get better draft picks

Romulus

Even though this is a silly proposal, and almost assuredly won't pass.

Does no one find it...strange...perhaps....wrong...that a league with majority black players base is so under-represented in the coaching and executive positions?

Players know the game best. Majority of players are black. There should probably be more black coaches/execs than there are. Let go of your pearls for a second and think about the REAL issue here.

Well, why cant we question why aren't there more white players? Is that unfair?

Papa

Banned

Does no one find it...strange...perhaps....wrong...that a league with majority black players base is so under-represented in the coaching and executive positions?

Players know the game best. Majority of players are black. There should probably be more black coaches/execs than there are. Let go of your pearls for a second and think about the REAL issue here.

wb bro

how you been

diffusionx

Gold Member

It’s not necessarily true that players know the game best. They know their position best, but that’s not the same thing. They also have to have a desire to, you know, actually coach or become an executive.

The idea that you can go straight from the field to high level coaching... I don’t think so.

Becoming a coach is a long hard grind in and of itself, and I think most of them get started very early (like as graduate assistants after college) - so while the players spend their 20s playing the coaches are rising through the ranks. So they’re almost at a disadvantage in those terms, but I think they do get opportunities to make that move if they want to.

Last edited:
Hire Deebo as a head coach.

BFmAit3.jpg

He'll just take other teams draft positions and nobody would even try to stop him.

Just keep the current draft system in for fuck sakes.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

Not necessarily. It depends. First of all, coaches and executives usually start off at lower level positions first. Sometimes even internships. Not everyone desires to get into coaching or a front office position. Secondly, being great at the sport doesn't necessarily equate to you knowing a lot about it. Michael Jordan is the greatest ever, and he's been horrible managing his team. Emmitt Smith was an all time great RB, and he was one of the worst NFL analysts ever.

This was spawned when Eric Bieniemy didn't get a job after the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl, and I think he deserves one, but teams might say ok Andy Reid is head coach, the team's success is largely because of him. Also, they go through interviews and word of mouth, and it's possible stuff was said behind the scenes that made these teams not want to hire some of these minority candidates. Not necessarily something bad, but just something like "We think he's a bright guy, but not ready to lead a team right now."

Teams would hire someone they think will help them win. They just have not been impressed by the specific minority candidates for whatever reason.

Ragnarok

I never said it was equal, just asking the question.
Well being an elite athlete is as close to a complete meritocracy as you'll find in the entire world.
NFL coaching is demonstrably filled with nepotism and retreads that were awful.

Ragnarok

Not necessarily. It depends. First of all, coaches and executives usually start off at lower level positions first. Sometimes even internships. Not everyone desires to get into coaching or a front office position. Secondly, being great at the sport doesn't necessarily equate to you knowing a lot about it. Michael Jordan is the greatest ever, and he's been horrible managing his team. Emmitt Smith was an all time great RB, and he was one of the worst NFL analysts ever.

This was spawned when Eric Bieniemy didn't get a job after the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl, and I think he deserves one, but teams might say ok Andy Reid is head coach, the team's success is largely because of him. Also, they go through interviews and word of mouth, and it's possible stuff was said behind the scenes that made these teams not want to hire some of these minority candidates. Not necessarily something bad, but just something like "We think he's a bright guy, but not ready to lead a team right now."

Teams would hire someone they think will help them win. They just have not been impressed by the specific minority candidates for whatever reason.
While I see your point here, if you think the vast majority of NFL coaches rose the ranks because they are brilliant minds and supremely competent, you obviously don't actually watch football.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
While I see your point here, if you think the vast majority of NFL coaches rose the ranks because they are brilliant minds and supremely competent, you obviously don't actually watch football.
It's a case by case basis. I don't know how everyone could determine who and how many coaches rose the ranks because of their competence and because of favoritism. It's impossible to discern that breakdown.

And it's not necessarily how good they are, it's how good their superiors and peers think they will be. There's a difference between the two.

I have zero knowledge on the NFL.

Is it possible that one day, all teams could follow this diversity hiring and all of the coaches ended up being minorities? What the heck would they do then? Oppression points system?

Last edited:

Romulus

Well being an elite athlete is as close to a complete meritocracy as you'll find in the entire world.

How you know that, be specific? How did you compare these to other elite positions in the world, do you have actual experience in any of these?
And how do you know that there isn't a disporpoate number of white players looking for coaching jobs vs former black players? I also see a bunch of young trainers and assistant coaches on the sidelines that are white. Seems to me that sort of management job would be better suited than playing a single position most of their career. 10 years on a coaching staff vs on the field. Maybe it's a specialty they go into from college and it evolves from there.

Last edited:

I'll grant you this. I feel like black coaches in the NFL tend to get fewer second chances when they flame out. There have been a handful of guys that seem to inexplicably get 2nd or 3rd shots as head coaches and most of those guys seem to be white. But that is just a feeling. I have no data to back that up and its quite possible I'm seeing things through a media created prism. However, I do know guys like Marvin Lewis and arguably Mike Tomlin who have not been fired when others may have been. The push for black head coaches has always seemed media driven. Teams and fans just want to win.

Romulus

I'll grant you this. I feel like black coaches in the NFL tend to get fewer second chances when they flame out. There have been a handful of guys that seem to inexplicably get 2nd or 3rd shots as head coaches and most of those guys seem to be white. But that is just a feeling. I have no data to back that up and its quite possible I'm seeing things through a media created prism. However, I do know guys like Marvin Lewis and arguably Mike Tomlin who have not been fired when others may have been. The push for black head coaches has always seemed media driven. Teams and fans just want to win.

You feel like this? What are the facts, are you sure we're not highlighting black coach firings and dismissing white coaches that are also fired quickly? Seems neither have much of a chance, but there being more white coaches in general, there would be more examples of different situations, both leniency and irrationality from upper management.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ZMYADuX.gif

Heeeey! Maybe that Krappingnickles guy can get a job with the league again with this. I believe he's lightskin black

We might need a shade chart that has different incentive levels.

Or are we still in the Jim Crow era where 20% is still all “negro”?

These people charmed by the ideological religion can’t see they’re doing the bidding for racists in power, that just changed their tactics a bit.

Last edited:
You feel like this? What are the facts, are you sure we're not highlighting black coach firings and dismissing white coaches that are also fired quickly? Seems neither have much of a chance, but there being more white coaches in general, there would be more examples of different situations, both leniency and irrationality from upper management.
First of all, Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin are black. I was implying it seemed like they kept their jobs longer than many white coaches despite struggles. Tomlin did win a Super Bowl 12 years ago.

Like I said, I don’t know. I have no data and the media tries to sell a narrative. I don’t think their is any conspiracy or anything. It’s literally my impression and nothing else.

And also the idea these coaches would essentially be getting a handicap seems racist in and of itself.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
In my opinion, race had nothing to do with Lewis or Tomlin’s long tenure. It is more due to the culture of the two franchises. Tomlin is never going to get fired from the Steelers, its just not the way the org works. They’ve had three coaches since 1969. The Bengals arent quite like that but they are very conservative and give the staff a lot of leash. Lewis is a good coach and kept the team competitive for a long time. He got maybe 2 years more than he should have, but it‘s the Bengals.

Will Vance Joseph or Steve Wilks ever get another HC job again? Probably not, but neither will Freddie Kitchens. It’s tough when you are that bad and so obviously in over your head. That said, Vance is now the DC of the Cardinals (which brings up another point, the media puts way too much focus on HC), and if the team wins a Super Bowl with a great defense, yea he will get mentioned, similar to Josh McDaniels.

Romulus

I just feel like those two coaches aren't enough to say there's the mistreatment of modern black coaches. Not that this is being implied by anyone here. But even if both firings were blatantly premature, it's not enough, because you could literally find examples of white coaches too that weren't give a fair shot. But people don't like to think that way, it doesn't fit a narrative that's interesting or inflammatory, and let's be honest, no one gives a damn if a white coach is fired. Not to mention, you have to completely disprove the reasons why said couches were fired.

I mean, GMs and owners want to win, so just firing coaches because "black bad" when he's actually good doesn't add up. They obviously don't have a problem with black players helping them win, but suddenly drawing a line with coaching positions makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
The nfl does have an issue with minority coaches. The Rooney rule thing hasnt accomplished much besides token HC interviews. This blew up again this year because Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy didn’t get a HC job.

Applying the Rooney rule to coordinator positions too could expand that pool where most HCs are pulled from.

I don’t understand the issue? If black people make up 13% of the population and whites make up 70+% of the population wouldn’t the hiring seem to be on par with that?

As far as Bienemy goes, I agree he should’ve got a look but I believe most teams are skeptical because Andy Reid pretty much runs the offense and Pat Mahomes and Tyreke Hill would be successful anywhere. My team, the Redskins, did hire a minority candidate but he was also the best guy for the job. NFL teams want to win. Winning means more money. I just cannot imagine NFL owners who spend the majority of their drafts selecting black guys being all that worried about hiring a black guy to coach or build their football team.

Texas Pride

Banned
If you believe this is equality you're a racist. Simple as that. People talk a lot of shit but the reality is no matter your color if you can play and not bring baggage or negative PR to a team you will find a spot in the NFL. Front office personnel is no different imo. If you know what you're doing you'll get a shot.

My issue with new HC's is I don't think they get enough of a chance to turn a team around. You might find an argument Black HC's get less of a trial run but I don't know if the statistics bear that out.

Last edited:

Outside of maybe Luis Riddick, Alonzo Highsmith and Morocco Brown who are some more names you can see fill GM roles around the league? Everybody always says this is an issue but never comes up with names that should fill said positions.

Marvin Lewis coached the Bengals for 16 years and I believe never won a playoff game. Mike Tomlin is a good coach and has earned his longevity. People complain about Caldwell being fired by the Lions but he sucked in Indianapolis as well. Hue Jackson was a complete disaster and Lovie Smith has struggled everyone he’s been since leaving Chicago. There’s many more examples and that’s because teams aren’t actively avoiding hiring minorities. It just seems as though when a black coach struggles the media wants him to have a longer leash than a white coach who struggles.

Weiji

Banned
I knew this was coming. The moment that ass decided to take a knee for politics on TV rather then do his job, and the league folded to his copycats football was done.

Nothing survives polarization. As their business begins to fail they’ll turn to increasingly SJWism hoping to fill the gap. That will drive more and more people away.

For a while, while it’s still high profile, SJWs will try to prop it up for virtue signal points.

Once it’s clear no one cares about football anymore they’ll abandon it for the next high profile inflection point.

Then the media will dance on its corpse and call back on how it was always just slavery with extra steps, and all the owners will get dragged through the dirt and run out of town.

And it will be of their own making, so it will be hilarious.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
How can you claim that? Are there studies, or is this just an assumption?

I am an immigrant minority, now a citizen. I just think it is wrong how many breaks some people are afforded, it makes them soft and doesn’t help anybody. When I was in high school, all the immigrant kids that didn’t want to learn English would go to a special class were they could get easy A’s. If you had an actual learning disability you didn’t go there, that class was for minorities only. I was in that class the first week I arrived to the USA, until I demonstrated I wanted to learn something useful, all the other lazy kids stuck there until graduation. No fucking wonder most minorities don’t go anywhere in life in this country, they never let them off the training wheels.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
What a moronic and racist idea, why not just hire entirely based on merit? And if tbey don’t, they lose out and become a joke team anyway....You can’t win in that sport without competent coaches and intricate coaching strategies

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The problem is people are constantly hunting for statistical breakdowns of race in all walks of life. People watch movies and TV shows and go into stores and eye count how many of each race they're seeing.

What these people don't realize is most of the time there are unbalanced race percentages not because of racism, but because most people don't look at individuals on the color of their skin. They hire who they think is the best person for the job and don't think anything of it. And that is always going to lead to a pattern-less ratio.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mike Tomlin takes care of his players and the NFL is a classic league and I'm sure they can improve things like the bounty systems, minorities etc. NFL needs to be honest with their presentation.

Greedings

I don't think this will be a problem. I can see one of two things happening:

Minority coaches with amazing draft picks don't do well. Uh oh, better change the system, because it highlights something bad.

Minority coaches with amazing draft picks do very well. Fans lose interest, "you only won because of an unfair system" and the NFL loses many fans, very quickly.

I'm not an NFL fan, but I'm pretty sure it's run like a business. Owners losing money won't last for long. I also remember hearing that the NFL is majority white viewership, and a very large conservative viewership. Those people won't be happy with this kind of change.

If this were to pass, which I doubt it will, it will mostly turn into franchises exploiting the rule for draft position.

I would love to be in owners and league meetings to see all the weird shit that gets pitched and discussed

Last edited:

Bigrx1

Banned
I wonder if sports media and talk shows endless obsession with the Colin kapernick story had anything to do with this. So fucking stupid.

cryptoadam

Banned
I smell a Hollywood script here.

Thad Stevens is a down on his luck WHYTE coach who was just fired from his last job. He just found out his GF was having an affair with the man that was hired to replace him. Down on his luck with no one willing to hire him and after watching the legendary comedy Soul Man Thad gets a great idea. With the help of his best friend a washed out former Hollywood special FX artist he gets about going through a transformation.

With Thads brand new "look" the coaching jobs are flying his way, but Thad starts to feel guilty that even though he is a genius coach he was only hired for the draft picks.

Find out this summer if Black don't Crack. Starring Justin Trudeau as Thad, Rachel Dozell the black make up artist, with special guest apperances by Tom Brady and Bill Belicheck.

Once you go black, you never go back.

Summer 2020

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't see why it would, Kaepernick wasn't an executive or a head coach. There's plenty of black players.
I agree, but it also kinda did create this air of racial tension once the narrative went from no one’s signing him because of his political beliefs, to no one’s signing him because of his political beliefs and he’s black. Which I think neither are true.... well, I think the political aspect does play a part but only because teams don’t think he’s good enough to be worth any potential headache. If he was he’d be signed in a nanosecond.

And then Trump threw gasoline on the flames by being anti-Kaepernick, and naturally most of the league hates Trump anyway, so once Trump was anti-Kaepernick, that side of the argument became associated with Trump, and they associate Trump with white supremacy, so it led to people thinking anyone who didn’t support Kap was a white supremacist.

Since then things have been really high tension regarding race in the sport.

Last edited:
Top Bottom