• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFS Shift looking good!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
MGR said:
Thanks for the vid.

At 0:48 - Invisible barriers (in the middle of the grass run-off section).

mclaren777: Whoa!..... What the hell was that!
Shift Rep: That right there was.........so........we, we talked to some racers in the ALMS series.....

:lol

edit: beaten

Keep listening to what the rep is saying, he probably didn't see the invisible wall crash. Sounds like he thought the driver was shocked by the loss of focus and vision, and was describing what exactly was the process of them coming to create the feature in-game.

MGR

AlphaSnake said:
Keep listening to what the rep is saying, he probably didn't see the invisible wall crash. Sounds like he thought the driver was shocked by the loss of focus and vision, and was describing what exactly was the process of them coming to create the feature in-game.

So just to clarify, you think the rep both didn't and did see the crash?

I think he meant he did't see the "invisible crash", and probably just thought the guy crash into something. May be he got hit by another car, the AI was pretty aggressive when I play the demo at PAX and one practically took me out of the race by smash me out of the road. I am hoping it's not one of those "on rail" AI because it just smash me out of the way to get to the race line.

IGN UK review

They're three corners that have featured in many a racing game before, but rarely have they been evoked as thrillingly as they are in Need for Speed Shift, EA's bold new direction for the long-running series that comes courtesy of Slightly Mad Studios, a developer who has proved its prowess in the racing genre with the sublime GTR games. Many other racing games treat the corners with nonchalance – in Codemasters' brilliant yet somewhat lightweight GRID, Eau Rouge and Blanchimont are reduced to mere kinks, while Pouhon asks nothing more than a downshift and a yank of the wheel.

Not so in Shift, and those fearing dumbed-down handling can take solace in the trip to the tyre wall that awaits drivers who treat Spa's trinity of corners with anything other than a fearful respect. Eau Rouge's violent incline becomes a living nightmare, asking for pixel perfect placement while Pouhon requires the utmost attention from entry to apex to exit. Blanchimont is the most terrifying, with a wide entry setting up a full-lock drift, with the tyres squealing like a chorus of burning kittens as the game's trademark exaggerated oversteer kicks in.

At times you have to pinch yourself – can this really be a Need for Speed game? The series may have taken some wild turns since its inception in the early '90s, but arguably none have them have been as bold as this. Ditching the open-world pretensions and point-to-point runs of previous games, its focus is solely on circuit racing.

It's a joy to drive, and it's not just the likes of Spa that have been enlivened by the spirited handling; places like Silverstone's Becketts complex or Laguna Seca's infamous Corkscrew put up more of a challenge than ever before. At heart, then, it's a traditional driving sim rooted in the real, with Slightly Mad Studios' pedigree shining through. It's a damn fine looking one as well, its rich environments, smooth frame-rate and perfectly crafted car models ensuring it's on an even keel with both Forza and Gran Turismo.

There's one area where Need for Speed Shift soundly trumps the competition: its driving is an exceptionally visceral experience, with a sensation of sheer velocity that's unparalleled in the genre. Take a car to its limits and the engine bark shakes the chassis, the colour drains from the screen and the cockpit blurs, focusing the driver's attention on the thin ribbon of tarmac ahead.

But it ultimately does little to detract from the core experience and its many successes. Need for Speed Shift gets the most important part of a racing game right and it does so with a flair that’s uncommon in a frequently po-faced genre, providing driving that’s genuinely thrilling. In one stroke it revitalises the flagging Need for Speed brand, and suggests that – with just a little more refinement – the series could establish itself as a true contender to Gran Turismo and Forza.

7.5 Presentation
While the art design is good there's simply too much going on, and the loading times can test the patience.
9.5 Graphics
With DiRT 2, Forza 3 and GT5 we're running out of superlatives for racing game's visuals, but this deserves some of its own. In a word, stunning.
9.0 Sound
Engine notes are wonderfully guttural, and the voiceover's nicely understated - while the music is typical Need for Speed fare.
8.5 Gameplay
On track it's superb, with handling that offers a nicely exaggerated take on a sim model - but it's sometimes lost under the myriad scoring systems.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
The single players meaty, and the multiplayer is considered and well implemented, offering local leaderboards and 8 player races.
Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1023323p1.html

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
AlphaSnake said:

alpha, what are your thoughts on the pad controls? i have heard a lot of people complain about the sensitivity, did you find it to be an issue? have you messed with the sensitivity settings, and if so, were you able to find a setting that worked well?

i own a wheel and plan to play with that most of the time, but now that i'm married i think i may have to resort to the pad for short gaming sessions.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
cyberheater said:
Same score for 360 version. I wonder if there are any graphic differences?
I remember a preview claiming the ps3 version looked slightly better...that was over a month ago though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
tapedeck said:
I remember a preview claiming the ps3 version looked slightly better...that was over a month ago though.

Well who knows with IGN. If you read there review of Ghostbusters you'd think they were graphically the same so I don't really trust there reviews when it comes to the graphics dept.

iceatcs

cyberheater said:
Well who knows with IGN. If you read there review of Ghostbusters you'd think they were graphically the same so I don't really trust there reviews when it comes to the graphics dept.
That's because IGN don't sit one inch away from the screen. They are playing just like gamers, not like the nerds from beyond3d.

TylerD

Looks like I am going to have another racing game pretty soon and I just bought DiRT 2 last night! I will be pissed if GT5 comes out before December.
Now would be fine please.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
iceatcs said:
That's because IGN don't sit one inch away from the screen. They are playing just like gamers, not like the nerds from beyond3d.

I downloaded the Ghostbusters demo on both consoles. The difference was obvious. The IGN graphics score should have deducted at least .5 of a point due to the gimping.

iceatcs

cyberheater said:
I downloaded the Ghostbusters demo on both consoles. The difference was obvious. The IGN graphics score should have deducted at least .5 of a point due to the gimping.
Well IMO. I don't think it is that obvious when you are not think of it.
To me I don't care how good AA, AF or texture etc, because these aren't do with gameplay and shouldn't be in graphics score. I mean I have seen 10 out of 10 in DS.
Only thing I care is FPS hence I'm buying it for my PC

-viper-

Banned
cyberheater said:
I think Shift probably looks the same on both consoles. EA multiplatform games have looked 99% the same this year.

cyberheater

iceatcs said:
Well IMO. I don't think it is that obvious when you are not think of it.
To me I don't care how good AA, AF or texture etc, because these aren't do with gameplay and shouldn't be in graphics score. I mean I have seen 10 out of 10 in DS.
Only thing I care is FPS hence I'm buying it for my PC

You're talking absolute rubbish.

cyberheater

-viper- said:
I think Shift probably looks the same on both consoles. EA multiplatform games have looked 99% the same this year.

I hope so. I'm really looking forward to it. I think it looks amazing.

Here's the soundtrack

Buraka Som Sistema feat. Pongolove - "Kalemba (Wegue-Wegue)"
Chase And Status feat. Plan B - "Pieces"
Deadmau5 - "Ghosts N Stuff "
Eagles Of Death Metal - "Anything 'Cept the Truth"
Fort Knox 5 feat. Asheru - "Insight (The Nextmen Remix)"
Gallows - "I Dread The Night"
In Case Of Fire - "This Time We Stand"
Jamal - "Pull Up"
Kanye West - "Paranoid (Part 2)"
Kasabian - "Underdog"
The King Blues - "The Streets Are Ours"
Mala Rodriguez - "Te Convierto"
Mando Diao - "Mean Street"
MSTRKRFT feat. E-40 - "Click Click"
N.A.S.A. - "Whachadoin? Feat. Spank Rock, MIA, Santigold and Nick Zinner"
The Prodigy - "Run With The Wolves"
The Qemists feat Mike Patton - "Lost Weekend"
Regular John - "Transmitter"
Rootbeer - "Under Control"
Shinichi Osawa - "Electro 411 (Lies In Disguise Mix)"
Spoon Harris & Obernik - "Baditude"
TOKIO - "Dogonim"
Twisted Wheel - "Oh What Have You Done"
Two Fingers feat. Sway - "High Life"

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1023346p1.html

BeeDog

Pretty decent tracklist, a bit too much rock/punk/whatever. Cool to see some quality electro there, but did they really have to go with "Run With The Wolves"? To be honest, I'd rather see "Warrior's Dance" (too bad Grid 2 uses it) or "Take Me To The Hospital."

mclaren777

MGR said:
So just to clarify, you think the rep both didn't and did see the crash?
Regardless, that EA rep didn't know what he was talking about. He mentioned three drivers that allegedly compete in the ALMS series, but two of the ones he name-dropped (Chris Rado and Vaughn Gittin Jr.) are actually involved in drag racing and professional drifting, respectively.

Cerberus

IGN US review

Closing Comments
Need for Speed Shift is a glorious return to greatness (and even excellence) for EA's seminal racing franchise. Slightly Mad Studios has delivered a driving experience that, while not completely accurate in terms of its simulation aspects, is practically dead-on in terms of what it's like to race around some of the world's best racing circuits. The career mode could (and should) have been a little better, but the act of driving is basically phenomenal.

8.5 Presentation
Minimal but still heart-pumping.
8.5 Graphics
Generally stellar visuals with a tad bit of blurriness here and there from mip-mapping issues.
9.5 Sound
Brilliantly executed in pretty much every respect.
9.0 Gameplay
The driving experience is incredible, and the controls are practically perfect for this approach. But, the career mode is lacking.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
Lots of events to partake in, but the career mode won't keep you racing for hundreds of hours like some of the competition. The online is very fun, but minimal in options.
Outstanding OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1023568p1.html

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Ranger X said:
Wow, the review makes the game sound pretty much godly. I LOVE that they seperated this game from GRID immediately.

Exactly

AFreak

Banned
Sorry for the bump, but I felt it was a bit too early to make an LTTP for this game. I rented it from work and I'm really enjoying. Only on tier 2 races right now, but I took a couple good shots to me.

I'm the Porsche. I've also realized while playing this game that I hate playing racing games that make you brake, lol. I always try to plow through the pack which brings up one of the cons with this game. I'm a wreckless driver, but for some reason i end up getting more precision points than aggressive points. I also realized I suck with the gamepad on sims. It's so hard to brake and gas fluidly and there os a lot over oversteer with the PS3(maybe 360 or PC better??). Either way, fun game and glad I rented it.

AFreak

Banned
Psychotext said:
I'm pretty much certain that there was an official SHIFT thread... would probably have been a better place to post.

I searched Shift for title only under advanced search and I got this, IGN's review thread, the GT vs Forza thread(some odd reason) and a bunch of smaller ones. Unless the Official thread somehow doesn't have Shift in the title, then I should've seen it.

Top Bottom