• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N'Gai Croal - Internet Superstar

LCGeek

formerly sane
Granted I think he can be off at times about various thing, though he was only citing what the devs told him, N'Gai is pretty good to compared to the rest of crap that is out there.

harSon

Banned
PataHikari said:
N'Gai's the only actual video game journalist.

Everyone else is some fanboy that managed to get a press badge.

That's really not the best argument to defend him with :p

harSon said:

Hey I've only read a few of his articles.

I think like, 5 total, and not in ages.

But he's seriously the only professional in the whole video game "news" business.

I really don't have that much of an opinion on him. Sometimes he says things that are smart and insightful but other times he just seems like he doesn't know what he's talking or has some sort of obscure bias. I still like him better then a lot of other video game editors.
I can see what the OP means though.

CoG

N'Gai's cool people. I'd rather him representing gamers to the mainstream than Sessler, Geoff, Garnett, etc.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
harSon said:
He uses analogies to much period.

Too bad for you.

CoG said:
N'Gai's cool people. I'd rather him representing gamers to the mainstream than Sessler, Geoff, Garnett, etc.

Don't put Geoff in that lineup, he did hold his own during the whole Fox news mass effect crap.

harSon said:

I guess that's why N'Gai gets more access like playing Killzone 2 and R2 than say most of the "mainstream" gaming media.

DangerStepp

Dennis_photo.jpg

WTF?!? IS THAT A SMILE HE'S CRACKIGN?! ! OMG!!! HOW SMUG AND ARROGANT!!!1111

billy-madison.jpg

Shoho

Banned
I don't know much about this guy, outside from his blog in Edge. oes don't seem arrogant, but they are kinda boring. From reading them, he does not seem like much of a gamer.

Also I would just like to say that I also hate people who use "complex" or "cleaver" words to make their reviews seem stronger.

This might be a bit off topic, but since we are talking about games journalism, I want to post my favorite games related article ever. its not a review, but its well written, without being complex. it does not make a foreigner of the english language. an imbecile at grammar, loose my focus and just swirl around in circles, like I usually due in this incohoerent mess.

This is the foundation of the concept "new games journalism". this article tells the tale of a guy writing about his experiences with the online portion of the game JK2. Its called "bow nigger". if you read it you will understand that its not only an entertaining article explaining this game, but also an review about the statemente of video game players. he talks about how a guy who said offensive remarks in a game, turned into a thrilling game of its own. its one of the many great/bad things about onlne games. its about something bad, bad and wrong that some how turns into something fun and interesting: http://www.alwaysblack.com/blackbox/bownigger.html

one of the best articles I have ever read. Incredible. really is. read it.

ZmillA

Banned
I like n'gai, I have however wondered sometimes about what exactly his job is and why he gets so much attention.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't know what's worse.

GAF's circle jerk over online gaming journalists or the journalists themselves.

Madman

ZmillA said:
I like n'gai, I have however wondered sometimes about what exactly his job is and why he gets so much attention.
He works for Newsweek.

He is very articulate and is a real journalist.

theguy

FirstInHell said:
arrogant.jpg

They say first impressions aren't everything, but this guy's smug and arrogant blog picture illustrates why he gets under my skin better than anything I could post.

Why do people treat him like some industry celebrity? Listen to this guy for five minutes and you will realize that his ego does not need to be fed anymore. Let's put this into perspective: He writes about videogames for Newsweek. Does the average Newsweek reader give a fuck about videogames? I have much more respect for people that write for EGM or other enthusiast publications. They understand their audience and do not treat them like a bunch of idiots who need to be lectured to (most of the time). The only reason why anyone in the industry pay any attention to this moron is because they hope to get some sort of mainstream exposure that Newsweek can provide. You could have an inanimate object blogging about games for Newsweek and I am sure game companies would still be banging down their door to take them out to dinner.

FirstInHell, what an appropriate name.

Don't be bitter, baby. Why not come and sit on daddy's lap, and let me know what's really bothering you?

Does the average Newsweek reader "give a fuck about videogames," as you so eloquently put it? VG industry stories are some of the most widely read business stories, attracting the attention of thousands of readers each and every day they run. Christ, all you needed to do was spend an hour watching CNBC yesterday (EA/T2) and you'd see just how important the industry is to the market, the consumer, the culture, the economy, and the entire entertainment industry.

I was speaking with someone yesterday about GDC, and this person told me how difficult it was to get even the consumer press to pay attention to their software titles at the show because all of the reporters were more interested in the general nature of the business, development (coding, script writing, etc.). "VG reporters are becoming more critical, focusing more on the business of the game and not the actual game itself," he said. "They're taking a more cerebral approach to reporting on games. It sucks."

More reporters are paying more attention to the business end of games because of reporters like N'Gai. The industry is taken more seriously because of reporters like N'Gai.

There are things N'Gai doesn't do well. N'Gai doesn't know how to dress himself. He cannot coordinate his shirts to match his trousers, and that annoys me. N'Gai doesn't frown. He smiles too much. I mean, he's always smiling. What's up with that?

However, one thing he does particularly well is write. FIH, I don't see your stories being posted on newsweek.com but I frequently see N'Gai's stories there. This tells me he's doing something right. Someone must be taking him seriously, don't you think?

FirstInHell said:
Does the average person reading about videogames know what the words "epistolary" and "curmudgeon" mean? You can find obscure words like this littered in his blog posts and sprinkled in his incredibly boring guest appearances on 1up yours.

Yes.

I think it's time for you to acknowledge that you are below average and need to open a fucking dictionary.

He doesn't suck for using nine or ten lettered words. You suck for not knowing them. Read a book.

They went into the theory that there is a sweet spot to the grade level of your writing

And he's writing for those that have made it outside of eighth grade English.

Does the average Newsweek reader give a fuck about videogames?

I would assume so, yes, since videogames are constantly in the news. Did you notice the TIME issue with Bill Gates on the cover with a 360? Probably not. Bet you were too busy reading My Red Dog.

Let's make litter out of these literati!
That's too clever, I'm one of THEM!

So are you all done talking about this newsweek loser? Did anyone hear Ryan Clements on Beyond! this week? What a guy I tell you

99gz2w.jpg

Just look at that face

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
To me N'Gai is the only person that I can call a game journalist. Everyone else in the gaming journalist industry seems to have been recruited from gamestop.

PistolGrip said:
To me N'Gai is the only person that I can call a game journalist. Everyone else in the gaming journalist industry seems to have been recruited from gamestop.

Come on. This is one of twenty or so identical posts. There are many game jouralists that are very respectable. I personally do not listen to the fanboy, bias types.

We as a community on GAF need to stop knocking the people that cover the games industry. It makes more money that alot of other media and it's own fans keep it in the "games are for 8 year olds" realm.

I personally want games to be taken more seriously. They have officially passed TV as my home entertainment pastime :lol , anybody else?

What the hell? What is with the N'gai hate? N'gai is easily on a short list of the most intelligent and valuable members of the gaming enthusiast press. The haters in this thread are just jealous losers who hate everything good in life, period.

wow...I would have never guessed N'gai would be such a divisive figure in videogame journalism...

for some of you in this thread...

di·vi·sive (d-vsv)
adj.
Creating dissension or discord.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

di·visive·ly adv.
di·visive·ness n.

(just trying to help!)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
he's tackling the issue from a different angle than most, and that's enough to make me at least interested in what he has to say.

FirstInHell, I couldn't agree with you more. I can not stand that guy! He is everything that is wrong with game journalism. I never thought I would read anyone more pretentious than Tim Rogers, but I stand corrected! It annoys me even more when he starts going about his profound underlying theories of different games. Sometimes <insert game> doesn't have a deep and complex message, it's just a freakin' game about shooting shit.

Booda

FirstInHell said:
I enjoy 1UPY and I cannot stomach listening to it when he is on. This annoys me.

So a few guest appearances a year necessitate a long, whiny rant?

Perspective: get some.

Nizz

monkspider said:
What the hell? What is with the N'gai hate? N'gai is easily on a short list of the most intelligent and valuable members of the gaming enthusiast press. The haters in this thread are just jealous losers who hate everything good in life, period.
I'm just chiming in now, but this is exactly what I thought. Wow, what the hell is going on with the N'Gai backlash all of a sudden? I think he's bringing a level of journalistic integrity that's trying to legitimize gaming as more than just a "kid's hobby". I welcome people's views like him and Shawn Elliot in which they look deeper into the meaning of certain games, what they take from it. To me it's sort of like the difference between a popcorn summer flick and the more serious, Oscar worthy stuff. I feel there's room in the world for both types. I love the whole "just one of the guys" vibe from the regular 1up yours crew, but I also welcome discussions where you actually take the time to think about the game in a deeper way than you would otherwise. I also have seen some stuff said about Garnett, but no one can deny the guys passion and genuine enthusiasm for gaming. And if it wasn't for "his God damn show" and the excellent producing by Skip, I wouldn't have been opened to the viewpoints of N'Gai. Sometimes I just don't get it, man...

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
FirstInHell said:
I am not talented enough of a writer to write for Newsweek. Hell, according to the N'Gai fanclub in this thread, I lack first grade vocabulary skills. Regardless, how does me not writing for Newsweek invalidate my opinion of the guy? Is that a prerequisite for not liking his work? I never claimed to be a literary scholar. There have been a few people who have addressed the actual point of the topic, but most have missed the point completely and boiled my original post down to a angry nerd rant about his mastery of the English language.

The fact of the matter is I am put off by his material. I enjoy 1UPY and I cannot stomach listening to it when he is on. This annoys me. I think he is boring, long winded, and overly pretentious and he brings nothing to the table that has not already been covered by much more entertaining personalities. What confounds me is how he is treated like a celebrity by the readers of this forum. How many times can he make the same tired comparisons between movies and games, drone on about narrative, and make ridiculous statements whose only intention is to evoke a reaction? I get the impression that he spends more time pontificating about the cultural impact of videogames than actually playing games. He comes across as smug and appears to treat what he says as some sort of grand vision for the industry.

I have also never heard someone drop names more than this guy. We are always hearing about how he spent time with this high ranking die at this company, and how he was having dinner with some industry celebrity. It comes across as forced and it never seems to add any substance to whatever philosophical point he is making.

This is my opinion. Even though I do not write for Newsweek, I still feel this way.

danm, playa hata

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Zack-Morris said:
FirstInHell, I couldn't agree with you more. I can not stand that guy! He is everything that is wrong with game journalism. I never thought I would read anyone more pretentious than Tim Rogers, but I stand corrected! It annoys me even more when he starts going about his profound underlying theories of different games. Sometimes <insert game> doesn't have a deep and complex message, it's just a freakin' game about shooting shit.

my......god......

kyle (in stereo) said:
Yes.

I think it's time for you to acknowledge that you are below average and need to open a fucking dictionary.

I'm not wading into this whole debate, but this is laughable. I certainly don't think that N'Gai's writing is too highbrow, but at the same time I think that you are vastly overestimating the intelligence of the average videogame fan, or even the average Newsweek subscriber.

Shoho said:
Also I would just like to say that I also hate people who use "complex" or "cleaver" words to make their reviews seem stronger.

Oh the lulz, they flow like water.

Queue the standard "English isn't my native language" reply--nonetheless, it's still hilarious.

I'm just waiting for him to actually see this thread and just start raping people. Disgusting rape too.

In reality, he probably won't pull a Jeff Bell, but I still would love to see it happen.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SnakeswithLasers said:
Oh the lulz, they flow like water.

Queue the standard "English isn't my native language" reply--nonetheless, it's still hilarious.

this way back before oog spine straightened. frontal lobes developed. comprehend rational thought.

jq6ihk.jpg

master english language.

Maztorre

FirstInHell said:
Only a few people actually debated the underlying message of what I was trying to say.

Probably because "I wish videogame writing would stay in the gutter" isn't very debate-worthy

Wow, some of you are way out there. N'Gai isn't as hardcore as some of you claim you are, yet you hate him for taking gaming journalism to a more sophisticated place where it should be. Weird, huh.

I don't know N'Gai, and I the only things I really know about him are because of GAF. He seems like an intelligent and well-written fellow.

What I have learned about him (or at least, what appears to be the case on the surface) from NeoGAF is:

- He is extremely well liked, almost beloved around here.
- He appears to crop up with positive associations more often with Sony topics and Sony fans than the other guys. This may or may not mean anything, but that's how it appears to a Gaffer that doesn't know much else about him.

Both of these things will obviously lead to dislike and attack from certain folks. Not saying that's the case here but there's certainly a possibility. Whenever someone is really well liked by a group there's always people who want to knock that person down. And of course fanboyism is alive and well here.

Personally, I've tried listening to the 1up podcast as well as Major Nelson's a couple times and they bore me to tears. Discussions on "game theory" and interviews with developers just do not interest me. I like my VG podcast to be strictly fun and comedy centered, but that's just me.

Top Bottom