• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 PS4 / X1 - No EASHL in the game?

I feel like most developers are being painted into a corner where they will get ripped either way in regards design choices for games on the new generation consoles. EA could have easily just upped the resolution, made a few tweaks, and release pretty much the same NHL game with all the modes. In doing so, I'm sure they would have been blasted for not making meaningful improvements to the game.

Instead they took the approach of reworking many components that affect fundamental game play (puck physics, collision physics, ice surface, etc.). Now it remains to be seen how good these improvements really are, but I respect the decision to make meaningful game play changes before incorporating every game mode. We will still have OTP at some point, and a new revamped EASHL next year. I would prefer to have it all, but if the game plays much better than NHL 14, then I'm on board for those compromises. Those of you that really need EASHL, you can play on PS3/Xbox 360 or wait until next year on PS4/Xbox One.

naeS

Well EA, you will not get my money this year...

Truly next-gen gameplay he says, my high quality gameplay experience is EASHL.

hadareud

The Translator
Couldn't give the slightest of fucks myself, but it's a shame for those that like it.

Still my most anticipated game of the year.

eznark

Banned
I feel like most developers are being painted into a corner where they will get ripped either way in regards design choices for games on the new generation consoles. EA could have easily just upped the resolution, made a few tweaks, and release pretty much the same NHL game with all the modes. In doing so, I'm sure they would have been blasted for not making meaningful improvements to the game.

Instead they took the approach of reworking many components that affect fundamental game play (puck physics, collision physics, ice surface, etc.). Now it remains to be seen how good these improvements really are, but I respect the decision to make meaningful game play changes before incorporating every game mode. We will still have OTP at some point, and a new revamped EASHL next year. I would prefer to have it all, but if the game plays much better than NHL 14, then I'm on board for those compromises. Those of you that really need EASHL, you can play on PS3/Xbox 360 or wait until next year on PS4/Xbox One.

Glad EA employees are reading the thread

Those of you that really need EASHL, you can play on PS3/Xbox 360 or wait until next year on PS4/Xbox One.

Except that they told us they wouldn't release it last year because they wanted to make this year's game "The most complete experience possible" so plenty of us sold our own systems in anticipation of next-gen.

And no, they wouldn't have been blasted as much for doing what you said in the first paragraph. Madden and FIFA pretty much did that and while it was truthfully disappointing at first, at least we didn't have major game modes taken out, and they were able to keep game play intact. And now this year, we have an improved game for both games without having modes stripped out.

I don't think this game has Season, Playoff, Tournament or even Shootout modes. Otherwise they would have DEFINITELY mentioned them in the post yesterday.

No season?

Franchise mode?

It's possible they are not mentioning certain features because it's just assumed that they will be there.

Cudder

No season?

Franchise mode?

It's possible they are not mentioning certain features because it's just assumed that they will be there.

EASHL was assumed to be in as well, since it's been in since 2008.

If Season, Playoff, Shootout modes were in, I think they really, really should have mentioned it to save at lease a LITTLE bit of face from this whole fiasco. Bottom line is, they listed what modes were in the game yesterday and the above wasn't there.

Now we're learning that online vs. is strictly 1v1. There might be a lot more missing to the game than we initially thought.

Cake Boss

Banned

You had 2 fucking years to work on it, and an engine from the Fifa series already done for you.

The other sport titles already had a next gen versions earlier than you and kept all the features in tact plus all the new physics mumbo jumbo.

No excuse.

Antti

A couple of interesting posts:

Q:
So say you get 6v6 working flawlessly. Can we maybe get a dumbed down version of EASHL? Like just a basic team leaderboard and matchmaking. No playoffs, fancy menus, etc. Just give us a way to play with our friends and keep a record? Even if its with NHL rosters.

A: That's something we'll definitely consider.
Allowing users to play with their friends is an important piece.

Q:
You say there will be a 6v6 OTP patched into the game. OTP is the base for EASHL, why can't you patch both in? EASHL isn't much more than just organized OTP .

A:
We're going to get OTP in first then go from there.
We really want to get the EASHL feedback from our fans to ensure we're set up to take it to new heights.

The way I'm reading these is they're leaving the backdoor open for EASHL to be patched in IF they get 6v6 OTP up and running and stable quite quickly. I don't see how it'd be a bad thing to beta test it on NHL 15 after the debacle we've just had.

eznark

Banned
I think it's strange to assume that EASHL will be added next year, or even that there will be a game next year. Clearly they have extremely limited resources which leads one to believe that the franchise is not terribly successful. Given that they took this opportunity to take a massive shit on their core fan base, I'm not convinced the series will continue past this bare bones offering.

The way I'm reading these is they're leaving the backdoor open for EASHL to be patched in IF they get 6v6 OTP
Lol no. They are saying that EASHL isn't even being worked on, has not been worked on, in two years. "Waiting to hear back from the fans" means that it is still on a napkin, not that it's ready to be patch in any time now.

Antti

I think it's strange to assume that EASHL will be added next year, or even that there will be a game next year. Clearly they have extremely limited resources which leads one to believe that the franchise is not terribly successful. Given that they took this opportunity to take a massive shit on their core fan base, I'm not convinced the series will continue past this bare bones offering.

Lol no. They are saying that EASHL isn't even being worked on, has not been worked on, in two years. "Waiting to hear back from the fans" means that it is still on a napkin, not that it's ready to be patch in any time now.

I think "lol no" is a bit harsh. 6v6 OTP is the framework that EASHL is built upon and after completing that, they've completed the biggest hurdle which is getting 12 consoles to work together like they're designed to in the game. EASHL is essentially a glorified OTP.

Cudder

A couple of interesting posts:

Q:
So say you get 6v6 working flawlessly. Can we maybe get a dumbed down version of EASHL? Like just a basic team leaderboard and matchmaking. No playoffs, fancy menus, etc. Just give us a way to play with our friends and keep a record? Even if its with NHL rosters.

A: That's something we'll definitely consider.
Allowing users to play with their friends is an important piece.

Q:
You say there will be a 6v6 OTP patched into the game. OTP is the base for EASHL, why can't you patch both in? EASHL isn't much more than just organized OTP .

A:
We really want to get the EASHL feedback from our fans to ensure we're set up to take it to new heights.

The way I'm reading these is they're leaving the backdoor open for EASHL to be patched in IF they get 6v6 OTP up and running and stable quite quickly. I don't see how it'd be a bad thing to beta test it on NHL 15 after the debacle we've just had.

It's PR speak. Letting fans hear that there might be a glimmer of hope, meanwhile they probably won't do fuck all to get it in the game later. Trying to secure as many pre orders and sales early on as possible while feeding fans some soft spoken "We'll look into it" crap.

Antti

I want to hope tho :(((

This gives me the right to act smug if it's patched in. #backtosquareone #believe #TeamRammer

A:

What in the fuck feedback do they need about this!? Was there something wrong with the previous versions of EASHL!?

As somebody just pointed out above me (Forgot to quote you, sorry!) This is just buying time with bullshit PR responses

Like all EASHL was, was getting people on organized teams, and playing other teams. What feedback???

Cudder

I think "lol no" is a bit harsh. 6v6 OTP is the framework that EASHL is built upon and after completing that, they've completed the biggest hurdle which is getting 12 consoles to work together like they're designed to in the game. EASHL is essentially a glorified OTP.

How much longer after release do you think they're going to work on 15 before starting 16?

eznark

Banned
Not a single other developer has said "wow, getting online to work in these new fangled machines which are so escoteric and crazy, I mean they are basically just PC's. is like impossible guys!" so the whole notion of this being some impossible hurdle is ludicrous.

You had 2 fucking years to work on it, and an engine from the Fifa series already done for you.

The other sport titles already had a next gen versions earlier than you and kept all the features in tact plus all the new physics mumbo jumbo.

No excuse.

Lol. Settle down. I'm not making excuses, I'm just providing my opinion. I'm a long time fan of the series, since the inception actually (NHLPA 93 on SNES), and recall when it went down the crapper during the PS2 era. The main reason that happened was because the development team never took the time to properly overhaul the game. It wasn't until the rebuilt game for Xbox 360/PS3 that the series had a resurgence.

Moving forward, my biggest concern is that the game won't move forward and will grow stale. Despite not having all the game modes, I'm optimistic that NHL 15 has made meaningful game play improvements over adding those modes at launch. I'll take that tradeoff assuming the game play improvements pan out. However, if the game is missing those modes AND fails to deliver in game play, then it is a no buy for me. I'll hold off to see what NHL 16 offers. I need to play the demo first to make that decision.

Like Eznark said, I'm not sure NHL makes it to next year. This could be a death blow.

If they were already short on money and/or resources...

Guess I'll go play Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey on the 64 and enjoy my 15-13 games

eznark

Banned
Like Eznark said, I'm not sure NHL makes it to next year. This could be a death blow.

Greatest local multiplayer game of all time. We used to have hockey practices before class in high school but we'd have like 2 hours between the end of practice and the start of school so we'd go to my buddies and just play that, basically the entire team. So many fistfights.

Memories.

Stasis

Don't really care about any online play in the NHL series, but if BAGM isn't improved, or as I'm hearing is actually dumbed down, I'm out too. I didn't buy NHL 14 until it dropped to $15 on ps+ and I'm totally fine waiting and doing something similar, or not buying it all. Only other part I played was local playoff mode with friends and neighbors. People are saying that's out too?

I don't even own a PS4 yet. This was a big reason for wanting one. Guess I'll invest more into my PC and get a new tablet for now. Either way I'm definitely waiting to see full reviews a week in. Gameplay/graphics aren't impressing me at all. I was cautiously optimistic about game mode overhauls and long-running issues being fixed.

Optimism and EA should never go together. All you can do is hope they don't shit on what they touch really, like games from other studios they publish. Bioware, etc.

Delt31

guys - let's not get too dramatic here. NHL will def be around next year. NHL 15 will def sell and a lot of us here saying we're not buying it will def buy it (if not day 1) b/c at the end of the day we want a great hockey game. OK - can't play with friends this year on a team so now you're not going to play it at all? Sounds a little extreme to me. I get that people should be pissed - I'm just saying there prob is a very good game of hockey they're selling and whether you buy it is up to you but I'm def in.

I will say that the goodwill they had from the past has DEF been damaged as they handled this very poorly but remember guys - this was the team that was creative enough to resurrect the franchise and give you new great modes like EASHL. Before we flip the F out and cry bloody murder, saying we're never playing anything again and where is 2k, this group has brought a ton to the sport and provided a ton of entertainment. Personally, although I'm frustrated and don't understand why 2 years wasn't enough, I'm willing to let this slide this year b/c I don't know everything that's happening behind the scenes BUT I'm expecting a top notch game of hockey that will bring it all together next year. I'm also hoping they learned from their PR mistakes.

Marvie_3

Banned
You guys are still bitches. MaddenGAF >>>>> NHLGAF.

I was on your club last year. :lol

guys - let's not get too dramatic here. NHL will def be around next year. NHL 15 will def sell and a lot of us here saying we're not buying it will def buy it (if not day 1) b/c at the end of the day we want a great hockey game. OK - can't play with friends this year on a team so now you're not going to play it at all? Sounds a little extreme to me. I get that people should be pissed - I'm just saying there prob is a very good game of hockey they're selling and whether you buy it is up to you but I'm def in.
It's not extreme when you realize that EASHL is the ONLY mode some people play.

OK - can't play with friends this year on a team so now you're not going to play it at all? Sounds a little extreme to me. I get that people should be pissed - I'm just saying there prob is a very good game of hockey they're selling and whether you buy it is up to you but I'm def in.

There are some in here who will get the game regardless because it's the only hockey game on the market. Those are the hardcore fans (Although plenty will be avoiding it) I can speak because I've been getting bitchslapped by 2k for years yet I end up with the game anyways.

But for anybody on the bubble, this kills it. I recruited a lot of the Madden league to play it a few years ago, a lot of them had never touched the title, and we had a blast playing it. I am fairly certain none of those guys will get the game now because this was the only mode worth to them. I am sure there are many others in the same boat.

I was about to come post this again LOL

Delt31

It's not extreme when you realize that EASHL is the ONLY mode some people play.

It's the mode those people prefer but to say those people wouldn't play hockey at all b/c they can't play on a team with their friends? Also - with OTP being confirmed as coming in, now it's just a matter that it's not organized? Seems to be getting pretty extreme to me.

Again - I understand the frustration. I feel similar but to not play the game b/c of that.....

It's the mode those people prefer but to say those people wouldn't play hockey at all b/c they can't play on a team with their friends? Also - with OTP being confirmed as coming in, now it's just a matter that it's not organized? Seems to be getting pretty extreme to me.

Again - I understand the frustration. I feel similar but to not play the game b/c of that.....

I understand what you're saying but do you realize that you're kind of telling us all, some of who you don't really know, what modes we play and don't play?

Like if I say that I know people who will not get the game because of the exclusion of this mode...I actually really mean it. This isn't posturing.

I personally am in wait and see mode but I 100% will not be getting this as a new copy and at full price.

NHL 17 will be the big gameplay redesign like NHL 07(or whatever year that was) was*. Just nursing this baby home.

*I'm praying, because it's desperately needed.

Delt31

I understand what you're saying but do you realize that you're kind of telling us all, some of who you don't really know, what modes we play and don't play?

Like if I say that I know people who will not get the game because of the exclusion of this mode...I actually really mean it. This isn't posturing.

I personally am in wait and see mode but I 100% will not be getting this as a new copy and at full price.

I understand - maybe there are those that say no EASHL, no buy. That's fine with me. Just seems a little extreme - but that's just me (a guy who's been buying NHL since NHLPA).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Bare bones Be a GM mode at launch is bs.

I hate when developers add in major updates to game modes after the fact because then I'm always hesitant on starting a new season.

Glad EA employees are reading the thread

Seriously, that post reads pretty much like PR damage control.

rashbeep

Banned

I will say that the goodwill they had from the past has DEF been damaged as they handled this very poorly but remember guys - this was the team that was creative enough to resurrect the franchise and give you new great modes like EASHL. Before we flip the F out and cry bloody murder, saying we're never playing anything again and where is 2k, this group has brought a ton to the sport and provided a ton of entertainment. Personally, although I'm frustrated and don't understand why 2 years wasn't enough, I'm willing to let this slide this year b/c I don't know everything that's happening behind the scenes BUT I'm expecting a top notch game of hockey that will bring it all together next year. I'm also hoping they learned from their PR mistakes.

I can't speak for anyone else, but seeing how EASHL is LITERALLY the only thing I play in these games I can easily say I won't be buying it.

Hari Seldon

Hopefully with all this shit cut out the menus are lightening fast. I hated the last few EA sports games I purchased for having absolutely terrible load times.

GM Connected could have been a feature that a lot of people used if the interface wasn't so clunky and terrible. If NHL was on PC this feature would have been huge.

rellix

NHL 15 is a beta test for NHL 16, nothing more.

The OTP nonsense is just them pushing hope for sales. Maybe they add it in halfway through the cycle, purely because they're developing it anyway for 16. Understand that this is not how their yearly cycle works. They usually just patch in slider balance bullshit, update the rosters rarely and call it a day. I'd guess there's maybe a 25% chance, and that's being really generous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but immediately after release is traditionally vacation time for this dev team. Don't expect any hasty work.

You will absolutely not be seeing any EASHL-esque organization of teams. It will be a selling point feature for 16. If you're irritated by this, then don't buy the game. Don't even buy it used. Let the extraordinarily low player counts this coming year tell them how badly they fucked up. I'd take the risk of this game being demolished and canceled just to send them that message, as I think they're smart enough to understand why (just not very talented or staffed properly). If you enjoy the other modes, then buy it.

Oh, and fuck them for even suggesting that GM Connected isn't played or didn't get the following they expected. I loved the shit out of that mode in NHL 13, but the incredible menu lag and bugs made it un-fucking-bearable.

Ya done fucked up, EA Canada.

I'm so conflicted right now. As a humble Canadian I've always loved my hockey videogames, and I've bought one pretty much every year since the Genesis days. Since 2008 I've been playing EASHL with my friends online quite a bit, and to hear the mode is gone just... sucks.

I mean The core game will still be there, I'll play through a season or two offline. But I have a lot of really fond memories of the series by playing EASHL online with my friends. I literally thought that was the future of online sports gaming. Going back to 1 vs 1 online just seems so archaic now.

Top Bottom