• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 PS4 / X1 - No EASHL in the game?

Don't understand why they didn't start off with a port of NHL 14 to next-gen and went from there. The first thing they should've done was get NHL 14 completely up and running before implementing the new stuff.

rellix

Don't understand why they didn't start off with a port of NHL 14 to next-gen and went from there. The first thing they should've done was get NHL 14 completely up and running before implementing the new stuff.

They didn't implement any new stuff, unless you count "presentation" which is mostly work by non-devs with green screens. A new UI and scoreboard. Great. The new engine is obviously a very large undertaking, but that was a given.

eznark

Banned

My guess is they have a skeleton crew making as low-cost a game as they possibly can in order to improve the margins. If they can show a substantially more profitable game maybe EA will give them more resources.

Unfortunately I'm not sure gutting your game is the best way to do so.

bumpkin

Ya done fucked up, EA Canada.
I think we're just feeling the wrath of their ire that the Canucks can't win a Stanley Cup no matter how many President's Trophies they win. :D

But seriously though, as much as I did get some enjoyment out of the EASHL mode, I spent a majority of my time playing seasons offline and a good chunk of HUT. As long as both of those are in, I can't see any reason why I shouldn't buy the game. The demo will pretty much be the make-or-break experience for me. The last version I bought was NHL 11, I didn't bother with 12, 13 or 14 because the "advancements" weren't big enough selling points for me; that and I've disagreed with every cover athlete choice.

I only made an exception for Teows because I wanted a new hockey game to play and 2K packed it up and went home.
Fuck the Blackhawks.

rellix

I think we're just feeling the wrath of their ire that the Canucks can't win a Stanley Cup no matter how many President's Trophies they win. :D

I believe in HUT (I don't play), you get bonus "pucks" for getting the cards of an entire team, and each team is different. The Canucks, from what I heard, give the largest reward.

I've never been a fan of their bias toward the team. It's no secret that they spend time modeling the faces of Vancouver third liners while stars of some teams still look generic.

But seriously though, as much as I did get some enjoyment out of the EASHL mode, I spent a majority of my time playing seasons offline and a good chunk of HUT. As long as both of those are in, I can't see any reason why I shouldn't buy the game. The demo will pretty much be the make-or-break experience for me. The last version I bought was NHL 11, I didn't bother with 12, 13 or 14 because the "advancements" weren't big enough selling points for me; that and I've disagreed with every cover athlete choice.

I personally enjoy the offline modes, but only because there's EASHL bringing me in. I've always been big into BAP and GM, and looked past the horrible simulation times and other irritating factors like the AI because of EASHL. EASHL players are going to be buying the latest copy because that's just how they operate.

If you own NHL 11 and you've been fine with that for a few years, then NHL 15 is a logical purchase for you, assuming you're ready to upgrade, but in theory, NHL 16 should be far better, feature-filled game. I personally don't own a PS4/XBONE yet, so it would be a large commitment to purchase a game I'm already upset about. It's basically on par with NHL 08, only missing a couple small features, but boasting better graphics and HUT. I personally cannot stand HUT, but there was no question it would be in - it's their pay to win cash cow.

Robcat

Banned
EASHL really takes all the rage out of losing. It's a lot more fun losing as a team. Oh well, I guess it's back to smashing controllers every time I lose one on one.

bumpkin

If you own NHL 11 and you've been fine with that for a few years, then NHL 15 is a logical purchase for you, assuming you're ready to upgrade, but in theory, NHL 16 should be far better, feature-filled game. I personally don't own a PS4/XBONE yet, so it would be a large commitment to purchase a game I'm already upset about. It's basically on par with NHL 08, only missing a couple small features, but boasting better graphics and HUT. I personally cannot stand HUT, but there was no question it would be in - it's their pay to win cash cow.
I actually sold my copy of NHL 11 a year or two back, so I'm pretty much hockey game-less right now. The irony is I became less interested in playing a hockey video game when i started playing in real life, but lately I kinda feel like I want some virtual puck in my life. So in that regard, NHL 15 is extra appealing. Obviously, I'm leaning towards the PS4 version because I don't have many games for the system and it does look pretty good, even if it's half-assed on established features.

Fixed1979

I enjoyed the story but had trouble understanding this part:

“For us, since we’re coming in later on, we won’t have to battle all those technological issues because they’ve figured them out already. This lets us focus more on the features which is something fans can appreciate,” said Ramjagsingh last year.

It means that Ram is completely full of shit and not to be trusted. They delayed last year to get it right this year, then ended up missing the mark anyway.

brarstar

Neo Member
I understand the pain of the people that played EASHL and GMC. I'll still grab the game because me and friends always have some beers and play and I play a good chunk of HUT.

Not having NHL on next gen sucked for a whole year.

Delt31

I know this was probably pre determined but i just found out that NHL 15 comes with a 25 coupon for gamecenter live. Considering I was already getting GC, I almost view that as NHL 15 = 60-25 = 35 plus tax. Maybe a little thank you by the devs for the shortcoming?

AND for those who don't care about gamecenter - sell the coupon on ebay and still make $15 or so.....

eznark

Banned
I know this was probably pre determined but i just found out that NHL 15 comes with a 25 coupon for gamecenter live. Considering I was already getting GC, I almost view that as NHL 15 = 60-35 = 35 plus tax. Maybe a little thank you by the devs for the shortcoming?

AND for those who don't care about gamecenter - sell the coupon on ebay and still make $15 or so.....

$25 too much for a 8 year old version of the game.

bumpkin

I know this was probably pre determined but i just found out that NHL 15 comes with a 25 coupon for gamecenter live. Considering I was already getting GC, I almost view that as NHL 15 = 60-35 = 35 plus tax. Maybe a little thank you by the devs for the shortcoming?

But GCL costs a lot more than $25. :(

EASHL really takes all the rage out of losing. It's a lot more fun losing as a team. Oh well, I guess it's back to smashing controllers every time I lose one on one.

And I had been doing soooo well not to damage a single controller since the PS4 came out.

It was great while it lasted!!

Neil_J_UK

I don't have those consoles anymore, but WHY remove it!?!?

I try not to question the decisions devs make about stuff like this as I'm sure they have a hell of a lot more to consider than we know about, but it does seem strange. They didn't have to 'start from scratch' as the NHL devs said, so it's a bit puzzling.

w00zey

I try not to question the decisions devs make about stuff like this as I'm sure they have a hell of a lot more to consider than we know about, but it does seem strange. They didn't have to 'start from scratch' as the NHL devs said, so it's a bit puzzling.

Did a dev say they could use the old code? I don't really know shit about development and as disappointing as this is I don't conspiracy theory that they did it to have a feature for next year.

My guess is to lighten the server load, but I'm no expert either.

It just...doesn't make sense. At all. It's the year 2014. Are our resources that awful?

Cake Boss

Banned
Kgf1hk0.jpg

Lol there is a fire rammer twitter account now.

creyas

I wasn't even mad about EASHL nor GMC missing, but now i hear you can't couch co-op online versus. It's the reason i'm hyped for NHL and was actively looking forward to the release weekend marathon and countless evening long sessions with buds. God fucking damn it.

This had seriously better be the most amazing 1 on 1 hockey experience ever. Because after everything they've told us about reasons for not including modes...

Ardenyal

Ice tilt?

Bullshit mechanic that prevents the game from being competitive.

It basically boosts the other players team in every way to make games more "interesting".
Some of the signs are:
- Opposing team AI players being on super star difficulty while yours are amateur level slalom sticks
- Checks from behind normally don't do anything but suddenly a check from behind sends players flying
- Not being able to pick up pucks, simple passes won't connect
- Goalie falling on his ass all the time after a save and giving juicy rebounds
- Your players not being able to hit the net no matter how good the stats are on your players
- If you manage to get a shot on goal there's still a spider goalie standing on his head to beat
- Your goalie letting in backhand shots from blue line
- You get the puck in your own zone, no one breaks out to neutral zone no matter how long you look for an opening pass
etc. etc.

It doesn't happen all the time but when it really kicks in it sucks all the fun out of the game and you just want to snap the disc in half.

Ice tilt?

So... Demo drops tomorrow. Do we have any indication what time it's going to be up on the respective stores?

The same time the stores update, I think. Early morning for XBO and afternoon-ish for PSN.

Reminder to folks that the demo is for next-gen only. No demo for 360/PS3

bumpkin

The same time the stores update, I think. Early morning for XBO and afternoon-ish for PSN.

Reminder to folks that the demo is for next-gen only. No demo for 360/PS3
I wonder if it'll be up for XB1 before I have to get ready for work in the morning. I'd love to give it a whirl first thing, it'd save me the agony (and jealousy) of having wait 'til I get home from work. :)

Top Bottom