• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 |OT| Allegedly What's Old Is New Again

Pretty excited here. Voted with my wallet and skipped last year's version to missing the one mode I play, EASHL, so it'll probably feel pretty fresh.

Still can't believe the craziness of last year...but hopeful this year.

All the last year version did was force HUT upon me since I got deluxe edition for the same price as regular, and actually enjoyed the new card pack every week. That was the only redeeming factor for me, and I sold it the moment I stopped playing it.

Couch co-op is a welcome return and that's what will occupy me this year.

Delt31

can someone confirm if it's really 30fps? That would be a big downgrade from PY. Hopefully still 60 and maybe a bump to 1080? OT says 30fps

Madness

Don't know if I want to get it right away. Was burned by last year's game. If need be whenever I get the urge I still play a match or two against the cpu on all-star/superstar. Great OP though. This feels like the game that should've launched last year.

So Be a GM mode is almost to the point of NHL 14 again? That's cool I guess.

Meanwhile, no Wild pictures in the OP.
Herc_is_Disappointed.gif

GravyButt

Played some more. Not seeing a huge improvement gameplay wise over 15 to be quite honest with you. The magnetic puck issues are still there, although after playing more they arent nearly as bad as stated in my first impressions. I do like how they did tone down the checking a lot. Thats a pretty good thing. Heck, I may need to bring it up a notch because its almost a checkless game it seems, I just bounced off people as the ai leveled me. The ai loves to score off horrible horrible goals. Your goalie still lets in just scrub goals its a joke. Glad to see thats not fixed sigh. The game seems to run pretty solid on the xb1 ea access and it looks pretty good. Presentation is also very good. Seriously, if they could just get the gameplay tighter the game would be awesome. Maybe its just me, maybe I just actually suck and the magnetic pucks and the goalie ai is just my suckiness I dont know. If you guys think it is, post some tips?

I think my problem could also be my reaction times do suck and I have a hard time controlling the players. So take my impressions with a grain of salt. Im not afraid to say it. My brain functions differently post injury than most so things where you need to be quicker are more difficult for me. Dont base your purchase off of me please. But seriously if anyone does have tips for this issues I posted Ill take them!

its already digitally preordered on psn so whatever im still going to play it and enjoy it either way because I love hockey. I do have a question though as im new to HUT. I noticed it said you can do single season offline, thats really cool and Madden doesnt offer that. But does nhl hut have like challenges and stuff like Madden does? Or no, just the season offline? Thanks!

I want to get this but then I realized Cleary is still on our roster...

Also not liking the roster they have setup for us or some of the ratings from that video somewhat posted a few posts above, but of course that can change with the first roster update.

I'm not buying another EA game until they get off their asses and allow forward compatible saves. Of all the publishers I don't see how EA is so resistant to encouraging buying the game every year.

Tanston

Do we have any idea how in depth offline seasons HUT will be? I enjoyed the core gameplay last year but as an offline single player I found no compelling reason to actually play the game. I need some goal to work towards above and beyond grinding out packs. Does the offline season have a playoff at the end of it? Are there any challenges or sub goals to do along the way? I felt like I was super excited for last years "next gen" game and pretty much wasted my money.

Antti

For the first time in years, I'm not really hyped for the game. I'll play it, but the beta left a sour taste in my mouth.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm still trying to figure out how Pulky is a 78 and Andersson is rated an 80... EA sucks at rating players.

Andersson is an 80? Did Babcock make the ratings himself?

Antti

Connection problems (although bypassing my router seemed to have fixed it for the last day of the beta) mostly. One of the bigger problems I have with the gameplay is the radius with which players intercept passes. It's hard to judge, 'cause my connection was awful for most of the beta, but it felt like players would straight up intercept passes that we're over a stick's length away from them.

The balance between puck control (very high) and pass interceptions (very easy) encourages individualistic play, which is wrong in my opinion.

The friction on the boards is set too high, which discourages cycling.

You should be forced to aim your passes better, like it was on old gen. On current gen you don't have to be careful with your aim, which takes skill away from the equation.

I'm sure there's more but that's off the top of my head.

Connection problems (although bypassing my router seemed to have fixed it for the last day of the beta) mostly. One of the bigger problems I have with the gameplay is the radius with which players intercept passes. It's hard to judge, 'cause my connection was awful for most of the beta, but it felt like players would straight up intercept passes that we're over a stick's length away from them.

The balance between puck control (very high) and pass interceptions (very easy) encourages individualistic play, which is wrong in my opinion.

The friction on the boards is set too high, which discourages cycling.

You should be forced to aim your passes better, like it was on old gen. On current gen you don't have to be careful with your aim, which takes skill away from the equation.

I'm sure there's more but that's off the top of my head.

I didnt think individual play was rewarded much in the EASHL Beta from what I played.

If anything the combination of better puck control and increased interceptions along with more reliable ways to disposses a player from the puck encouraged a more realistic style of play where you were forced to keep the puck to perimeter, along the boards and behind the net to get good scoring chances.

Most players I played against had real trouble danging thru traffic or cutting in and getting clean shots off so passing the puck around the zone rather than trying to be a hero worked more than it did last gen.

As far as the boards friction, they introduced a tuner near the end of the beta where this was apparently addressed. I didnt get many games in after the patch so I can comment on how much this changed things, but the fact that it was and can be changed should give you a little hope that they can get it right at some point this year.

I understand your frustration tho, if I was forced to play EASHL with Milly so often I wouldnt be as excited either ;)

Antti

I didnt think individual play was rewarded much in the EASHL Beta from what I played.

If anything the combination of better puck control and increased interceptions along with more reliable ways to disposses a player from the puck encouraged a more realistic style of play where you were forced to keep the puck to perimeter, along the boards and behind the net to get good scoring chances.

Most players I played against had real trouble danging thru traffic or cutting in and getting clean shots off so passing the puck around the zone rather than trying to be a hero worked more than it did last gen.

As far as the boards friction, they introduced a tuner near the end of the beta where this was apparently addressed. I didnt get many games in after the patch so I can comment on how much this changed things, but the fact that it was and can be changed should give you a little hope that they can get it right at some point this year.

I understand your frustration tho, if I was forced to play EASHL with Milly so often I wouldnt be as excited either ;)

Unfortunately, my experience was pretty much the opposite.

I play with Milly a couple times a year lol

beanman25

May I join the squad on a different tag so I have a second team to play with? I'll rock either wing or either defensive side.

Skitso78

Any idea if the game supports co-op season so I could play a normal season against cpu with my friend in the same team online?

For the most part that was my impression, too. But it felt like they actually lowered the puck control a lot to force more passing rather than individual work.

Ont

I'm still trying to figure out how Pulky is a 78 and Andersson is rated an 80... EA sucks at rating players.

Ratings in these games have always been bad. Apparently you need to play two years in the NHL to skate well, they cannot seem to understand that some rookies are already faster skaters than veteran players. :p I haven't seen NHL 16 ratings but I assume nothing has changed.

GravyButt

So im new to hut like I said earlier and just started playing mut this year as well and think it's awesome. I think its sweet that nhl has an offline season. Before diving in ( I will wait until after the 10 hour trial) I was curious if people could explain it in more detail. How does the season work? Goals to achieve ect? Also, are there challenges like mut has or no? Those are awesome. Thanks!

Fantasy draft is back, thank goodness. Will definitely be purchasing NHL 16. It was so hard to resist last years game because I haven't purchased since NHL 13, but I'm glad I did. Even my friends who bought it got bored of it real quickly with the lack of game modes.

Now, what is the difference between the missing "GM Connected" and "Be a GM" modes?

Is this a big issue?

Edit: Subbed to this thread.

killroy87

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with this edition at all. Is this generally considered to right the wrongs of last year's catastrophe?

http://www.pastapadre.com/2015/09/1...dline-pre-release-patch-for-nhl-16#more-99875

EA SPORTS HOCKEY LEAGUE
  • Ranked Quick Match
    [*]The perfect place to play EASHL if you don’t have an EASHL team or if your teammates can’t make it online. Quickly search for a Drop-In game of up to 6v6 to practice your skills or scout players. Play as your created pro, choose position and player class before entering the game.
  • Invite Friend
  • Send an EASHL Drop-In invite to your friends.

[*]EASHL Player Badges
    [*]Introducing EA SPORTS Hockey League pro leveling. Play EASHL Seasons, Playoff games, or Drop-in games and earn Experience Points that unlocks badges for different stat categories and milestones. Earn enough EXP and you will level up your Pro.

[*]Once at Level 50, you will earn a Prestige badge and start at Level 1 again to begin the pursuit of your next badge. This is the ultimate display of your skills. Player levels will be prominently presented for other users to see in the Leaderboards, Dressing Room, and Side Select, so level up and brag to your friends.

GAMEPLAY
  • Added NHL 3-on-3 OT rule changes.
  • General improvements to defensive AI logic.
  • Added an alternate goalie control scheme based on Beta feedback
  • Added option to toggle if precision skating is default or not for goalies.
  • Hint supports added for alternate goalie controls.
  • Improved logic for goalie interference penalties and allowed/disallowed goals.

If the bold means I think what it means, then fucking FINALLY! Choosing your position and class before entering a game is huge, so now I don't have to play with a bunch of asses who select a position they didn't want and then play like bitches to spite the rest of us.

I wonder what the player badges/pro leveling is though. That seems to have popped out of nowhere. Like if we get a level badge to show us how much we play this game that's cool, but I hope it doesn't make your player class better than everyone else's just because.

Ahh my bad I didn't see a lot of this was already in the OP.

Cake Boss

Banned
http://www.pastapadre.com/2015/09/1...dline-pre-release-patch-for-nhl-16#more-99875

If the bold means I think what it means, then fucking FINALLY! Choosing your position and class before entering a game is huge, so now I don't have to play with a bunch of asses who select a position they didn't want and then play like bitches to spite the rest of us.

I wonder what the player badges/pro leveling is though. That seems to have popped out of nowhere. Like if we get a level badge to show us how much we play this game that's cool, but I hope it doesn't make your player class better than everyone else's just because.

Uhhh sorry but its still the same old format. Whoever gets in the lobby first gets to pick the position they want. When the captain ready up you are then allowed to pick your build.

And as for the leveling, its basically cod like. It has no effect except the number beside you and a little emblem. You don't unlock anything or gain anything.

Freaking lame I already used up my 10 hours ;_;

Yea ive been waiting for someone to confirm how the dropins work. Sounds like a big improvement.

The badges are just visual "rep" that appears when you are in the lobby. Its a smart move on their part to give players something even as minimal as that to show progression. I linked a video in the OP about it.

By design. Made losing to a shit goal less frustrating if it happened.

Don't mind monthly though. More of a rush than weeklies were, like you said.
Losing to shit goals is part of the game of hockey

In on this shit - need me some NHL with the gang ;)
Yessir

Uhhh sorry but its still the same old format. Whoever gets in the lobby first gets to pick the position they want. When the captain ready up you are then allowed to pick your build.
Looking forward to players bailing because they don't get the position they want :(.

EA is so bad at the little things, it's why this franchise is so frustrating.

It took forever for them to allow you to change your D pairs separately from your forwards, while 2k was doing this on the PS2. It's 2015 and your line options are almost the same as they were in '95. The fact that you only have two forward pairs and two D pairs on the penalty kill drives me crazy. In most versions EA seems to completely ignores the concept of last change and line matching. I know most casual players just use auto line changes, but this shit matters in hockey and EA completely ignores this aspect of the game.

I'm hoping Be a Pro is at least at the level it used to be and hopefully it actually has some improvements. Can't see GM mode holding my interest for long, once you play sims like OOTP it's hard to find console GM modes engaging.

Honestly this is EA's last chance with me. I love my hockey games, but EA frustrates the hell out of me. If it wasn't for EASHL I probably would've abandoned ship a long time ago.

Are we going to form EASHL teams in this thread or elsewhere?

Whatever works best for you

I plan on making a separate thread on Tuesday for the PS4 club im running, but all the spots are already filled so there will likely be at least another one that gets organized for PS4

Top Bottom