• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 |OT| Allegedly What's Old Is New Again

I won a copy of NHL 16 for ps4 at the King of 94 tournament in Toronto!

http://i.imgur.com/zsth6Qc.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/zKZyOUf.jpg?1

I can answer some questions if people want.

Congrats on the tourney win. Im shocked a player like you who is world famous for exploit goals wasnt banned from taking part ;)

Some questions

1- Do the "seamless puck pickups" on loose pucks work better than the beta where you constantly had to circle a loose puck to pick it up?

2- When playing goalie do you still get "stuck" sometimes when using the button to hug the post? In the beta it seemed like sometimes pressing the button wouldnt engage the animation and when releasing it the goalie wouldnt come off the post sometimes.

3- After playing a few games with NHL teams do superstar players feel like they play differently than 4th liners?

zsswimmer

I won a copy of NHL 16 for ps4 at the King of 94 tournament in Toronto!

http://i.imgur.com/zsth6Qc.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/zKZyOUf.jpg?1

I can answer some questions if people want.

Hey aces, how are the skate shoelace textures? Sharp and crisp or blurry and not visible? What about bald player mechanics - does it show a smooth shave or that peppery 5 o clock shadow? And last but not least, stick tape. Is it actual quality tape this time or that goddamn walmart tape?

Hey aces, how are the skate shoelace textures? Sharp and crisp or blurry and not visible? What about bald player mechanics - does it show a smooth shave or that peppery 5 o clock shadow? And last but not least, stick tape. Is it actual quality tape this time or that goddamn walmart tape?

I left the hard hitting questions for you

zsswimmer

I left the hard hitting questions for you

Well when I heard about authenthic shoe lace textures I had to find out for myself. Just wish there were more tying options. Double loop, triple loop, bunny ears, behind the back..... theres just a world of shoelace opportunities out there that EA hasn't tapped into. Maybe a 4.99DLC shoelace pack is in order?

Delryk

Holy shit i just played my first game on D... we had a human goalie and they didnt...

Man i kept going in circles around my net instead of stopping.. I sucked but not as bad as the other D that scored on us by trying to pass the puck but the "lag screwed up his aim"..rofl.. but we won..5-2.. even scored a freaking breakaway goal on the PK.. buahah..

Stat!

Resolution and fps plz

No idea. I assume its the same as past games. Menus and stuff are a ton quicker. I did notice a bit of frame dropping when changing lines quickly.

Congrats on the tourney win. Im shocked a player like you who is world famous for exploit goals wasnt banned from taking part ;)

Some questions

1- Do the "seamless puck pickups" on loose pucks work better than the beta where you constantly had to circle a loose puck to pick it up?

2- When playing goalie do you still get "stuck" sometimes when using the button to hug the post? In the beta it seemed like sometimes pressing the button wouldnt engage the animation and when releasing it the goalie wouldnt come off the post sometimes.

3- After playing a few games with NHL teams do superstar players feel like they play differently than 4th liners?

I didn't win the tourney lol. Wasnt nearly good enough. It was a raffle I won! They also raffled off a signed Seguin jersey, Roenick jersey, Larmer, and Andersen jerseys as well.

Seamless puck pickups are way better. Feels like there are more animations now to pick stuff up. Didn't have that problem with the beta.

I don't know about goalies. I only played a bit of goalie, seems a ton harder to play this year.

This is tough. When I did Toronto vs. Montreal, it felt like Toronto really suffered from an offensive point of view due to lack of speed. But when I played a game of HUT, Matt Martin was one of my best guys compared to Sedin/Boedker. It'll take more games to report back on this.

Lol I was gonna join that 94 tournament but fuck that entry fee.

It was only $45? It was a ton of fun though! Met a ton of great people.

Stat!

Shoelace textures are top notch. They are the only thing that I can say is in 4k resolution.

Being bald is actually a boost to your speed due to aero dynamics now. Unfortunately, tape is still walmart tape.

zsswimmer

still walmart tape.
Pre order cancelled

Z1nfYbV.gif

Nintendad

I was gonna stream some NHL 16 through EA Access on Youtube. Can I do that or do they not want the game streamed until tomorrow?

Delt31

played over the weekend on access. Did EA not even change the main music? I don't have NHL 15 anymore but I could have sworn it was the SAME!

I feel like I've read about custom games, but I wasn't positive and now I don't know where --- do they exist? can I set up a private lobby and invite people?
Edit---it's in their features list, hopefully it's for EASHL classed and not real rosters

usgamer.net posted an article talking about the changes in the dev process for NHL 16. Its worth a read

Inside NHL 16: How EA Turned to the Fans to Help Rebound from a Disappointing Year

"We walked into basements. We walked into some elaborate houses. We watched guys passing the bong around," says Ramjasingh. "We wanted to understand why people play our game."

Rammer, man of the people

I feel like I've read about custom games, but I wasn't positive and now I don't know where --- do they exist? can I set up a private lobby and invite people?

Rammer, man of the people

It all makes sense now...

The pass the bong around quote was probably referring to how the dev team spent their time prior to NHL 15 came out

depward

Somehow Amazon is delivering this for me today (PS4). Ok then.

I'm excited at EASHL. After the horribly disappointing year that was last year, excited to see if this rekindles my love of EASHL of several years ago.

I like it more and more

I notice the puck shielders are having a hard time defeating me this year

11 games played 9 wins and 2 OT losses

I still don't like that they dont give a damn about the other leagues. The rating system is all over the place

I assume no places will have midnight releases for physical copies right?

Any indication of when the embargo is lifted for reviews, if reviews got copies, that is?

Stat!

So after a couple days with the ps4 version, my thoughts.

I think there is a "glitch" goal and that I've discovered it already.

Be-A-Pro: How you grow your player is way better. But there is nothing to really work for aside from that. The whole mode feels empty. Like it doesn't feel like there is anything going on in the world. None of the players have motives, the teams don't, your coach doesn't really, you have nothing to work toward in your career.

Also, it still suffers from the: if you don't score, your team doesn't score either.

Be-A-GM: Morale is nice and it isn't too cumbersome. Sim engine is fucked (my first year, the Penguins finished last in the league, Leafs finished 2nd in the conference/4th in the league. Scouting still sucks.

HUT: Solo is nice option.

Be-A-Pro: How you grow your player is way better. But there is nothing to really work for aside from that. The whole mode feels empty. Like it doesn't feel like there is anything going on in the world. None of the players have motives, the teams don't, your coach doesn't really, you have nothing to work toward in your career.

Also, it still suffers from the: if you don't score, your team doesn't score either.

Be-A-GM: Morale is nice and it isn't too cumbersome. Sim engine is fucked (my first year, the Penguins finished last in the league, Leafs finished 2nd in the conference/4th in the league. Scouting still sucks.

So what you're saying is they might as well have named the game "EASHL 16"?

Honome

thanks for the impressions, mate. Can you check if is possible to edit all team strategies and save it before starting a season?

Stat!

thanks for the impressions, mate. Can you check if is possible to edit all team strategies and save it before starting a season?

I don't believe you can edit every team's strategies. I will say that I really love that you can edit player contracts too now.

Ardenyal

11 minutes boys.

Guess im going to play some be a pro while waiting for my buddies to get the game on thursday. Wish it was global release but the EU version comes out later.

killroy87

I'm guessing the review embargo is also up right now? I haven't seen a single review yet...

IGN's was up for like an hour this afternoon, but they apparently fucked up, and took it down right quick. it was a 7.8. they generally liked it, but said online had major performance issues.

SZips

IGN's was up for like an hour this afternoon, but they apparently fucked up, and took it down right quick. it was a 7.8. they generally liked it, but said online had major performance issues.

Hm, not bad. I haven't played a good hockey game in a while. I'll wait to see if I have a surprise review copy waiting for me later today (like what happened with Madden). I personally am "ok" with online not working right out the gate since I almost never play sports games online against others. I understand how it would negatively impact a review though. Besides, I wouldn't really expect online to function properly prior to or even right at launch anyway.

I found it hard to get into an online game over the weekend, and figured the same problem would extend to EASHL, so I didn't get playing it.

The review embargo lifts at 3am EST.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, they finally took my jersey number/captaincy menu screen that I had mocked up 8 years ago. Showing the retired numbers for the team along with the currently selected.

Top Bottom