• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'

Syrinx

Aho my boy. he sounds 12 lol, like for real. fragile little NHL pro <3 my gf has a crush on him.. which feels weird now.

i wonder if i ever bumped into him growing up in Rauma. such a small town that i probably did saw his mom push him in a troller.
We all have a crush on Aho Boy.

Ristifer

He did score a goal and did set up the game winner

Sure he's been wonky, but look at everyone else. Rosen, Rielly and Carrick were also pretty bad.
Yeah, but he's usually good offensively. That's where he's best.

It's everything else where he gets shaky. Rosen gets a pass from me because it's his first NHL game, but the D really needs to stay composed.

Abylim

On the bright side, if this game was early last season Leafs would have found a way to blow it.

Most of last season Leafs couldn’t protect a lead.

Also, I mean this from the bottom of my heart, I hope Drouin is as good as you Montreal fans hope, cuz you’re going to need something to get you guys going.

I’m not worried about Matthews yet. Yeah, 4 points in 2 games is good on paper, but when you consider we have scored 15 times and he’s only got 4 points it seems worse. Honestly though I just want us to win. We have some forward depth for sure this year. And that definitely matters.

snack

the good ol’ days of Jim hughson broadcasting Canucks games... when we were once good and worthy of his voice. I can barely remember those days.

Ristifer

Gardiner had 2 points and was a +4 but he was shitty?
Yes, he was. Stats don't always tell the story. He was out of position numerous times, made the most ridiculously stupid passes, and had a handful of turnovers. Not to mention his shitty play that resulted in Toronto getting that penalty at the end of the first, leading to the second Rangers goal. All he had to do was touch the puck on a glove pass, and the play would've been dead.

Luckily, he can also play well. But tonight wasn't his best night.

Ristifer

Also, I mean this from the bottom of my heart, I hope Drouin is as good as you Montreal fans hope, cuz you’re going to need something to get you guys going.

I’m not worried about Matthews yet. Yeah, 4 points in 2 games is good on paper, but when you consider we have scored 15 times and he’s only got 4 points it seems worse. Honestly though I just want us to win. We have some forward depth for sure this year. And that definitely matters.
He'll get more points. His chemistry with Willy is just too good to not get him points.

yyzjohn

Banned
Yes, he was. Stats don't always tell the story. He was out of position numerous times, made the most ridiculously stupid passes, and had a handful of turnovers. Not to mention his shitty play that resulted in Toronto getting that penalty at the end of the first, leading to the second Rangers goal. All he had to do was touch the puck on a glove pass, and the play would've been dead.

Luckily, he can also play well. But tonight wasn't his best night.

You're blaming the wrong guy when he scored himself and set up the winner. Considering the Rangers had 3 even strength goals, you can hardly blame Gardiner when he wasn't on the ice for the majority of the Rangers goals. It's like you're looking to find fault in him.

23qwerty

That was a weak interference call. Did the league get really soft with calls this year?
I could be on board with calling it a somewhat weak call if a. the Canucks penalty 2 minutes was completely undeserved and b. he didn't just do it right in front of the ref, he did it into the ref

Samyy

Gardiner had 2 or 3 meh plays but with the amount of time he has the puck thats bound to happen to anyone.

He was great tonight.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Your expectations are way too high if you're even contemplating being worried about Matthews.

4pts in 2 games isn't just good on paper it's good in game.

Ristifer

You're blaming the wrong guy when he scored himself and set up the winner. Considering the Rangers had 3 even strength goals, you can hardly blame Gardiner when he wasn't on the ice for the majority of the Rangers goals. It's like you're looking to find fault in him.
I mean, I know who I was watching. There are plays that don't show up on the stats sheet. He gets points, and he'll continue to do so. I'm not concerned with his points output. If his +/- stays positive, I'll be plenty happy. But he was still sloppy, as was much of the D.

yyzjohn

Banned
Your expectations are way too high if you're even contemplating being worried about Matthews.

4pts in 2 games isn't just good on paper it's good in game.

Matthews had the puck bouncing on him a few times, didn't look that comfortable but that being said he could have had more points. He sprung Nylander on a breakaway but he didn't score, also had a couple other chances, just wasn't going his way tonight.

yyzjohn

Banned
I mean, I know who I was watching. There are plays that don't show up on the stats sheet. He gets points, and he'll continue to do so. I'm not concerned with his points output. If his +/- stays positive, I'll be plenty happy. But he was still sloppy, as was much of the D.

If the rest of the D was as sloppy as Gardiner, Leafs score 11 tonight. Blame other guys too. He was one of the better D on a bad overall defensive night.

Ristifer

Matthews had the puck bouncing on him a few times, didn't look that comfortable but that being said he could have had more points. He sprung Nylander on a breakaway but he didn't score, also had a couple other chances, just wasn't going his way tonight.
Yeah. He had that early cross-ice chance when Pavelec came into the game, but just couldn't bury it. He'll be burying those in no time. Not really worried about Matthews.

Ristifer

If the rest of the D was as sloppy as Gardiner, Leafs score 11 tonight. Blame other guys too. He was one of the better D on a bad overall defensive night.
I did blame the others. The only guy I really gave a pass to was Rosen since it was his first NHL game. The others should be better, but I'm confident they will be.

yyzjohn

Banned
Hyman had 2 goals? Why don't I remember the second? Did they change someone's goal to him? He has more goals than Matthews now lol.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ovechkin passed sundin, nieuwendyk and modano in all time goal scoring tonight

Hyman had 2 goals? Why don't I remember the second? Did they change someone's goal to him? He has more goals than Matthews now lol.

nylander's goal was taken away from him as he never touched the puck

Top Bottom