• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - Demo Walkthrough #2

Not a huge fan of the battle sustem change, but final fantasy has been doing that for ages so its not that big of a deal as long as its good...

Im more pissed about the forced rts mechanic.

Kremzeek

i'm totally gobsmacked by this RTS in Ni No Kuni 2.

i'll still buy it, but definitely gritting my teeth about it. not sure where the dev is coming from with this....

Reorx

Did he say that?I missed it. Man i will hate those parts. :/

yeah you basically need to liberate lands from bandits and such, so you can build your kingdom on it.
Maybe this is just some kind of minigame, but I doesn't look too complicated in the video.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I do not understand why they abandoned the idea of ​​capturing monsters... I loved that...

And the new system dont look better...
Because most people didn’t like the combat from the first game. I personally didn’t have issue with it but your party AI was absolutely horrible.

Malio

The more I see of this, the less excited I am. I'm now in the "Uh oh" stage. I don't think that battle system is going to be my liking, and that RTS stuff is....jarring. They should have called this game something else. I want Ni No Kuni 2. :(

blackjon24

No matter how this game turns out.... at least we will always have the original. Watching my roommate playing the game for the first game again brings back great memories

Tommi84

Not sure what to think about those RTS elements. Just gonna have to play them myself. I'm just wondering how much this game will drop in price in the first few weeks

Acrylic7

Because most people didn’t like the combat from the first game. I personally didn’t have issue with it but your party AI was absolutely horrible.

Party AI had nothing to do with the Familiars and it seemed like such an easy fix. It was mostly Esther burning through her MP like a crazy person and no type of party command system was implemented. All they had to do was offer party behavior commands and problem solved.

Familiars were a great focus and selling point of the first game. I still dont understand why they removed them. Its still a very strange decision.

sublimit

Banned
I do not understand why they abandoned the idea of ​​capturing monsters... I loved that...

Familiars were a great focus and selling point of the first game. I still dont understand why they removed them. Its still a very strange decision.

The concept was interesting in theory but the execution was terrible.

Every time you captured a monster you had to grind for hours in order to bring it to the same level as you.And then when it was ready to change to its second (and supposedly better) form its level (which affected attack power,defence etc) went back to level 1 even though it gained new (and better) skills.So you had to start grinding again.Then repeat the whole process for its final form.
Sure there was also the "solution" of farming Tocos for hours but i didn't find that fun to be honest. And in any case the best place for farming Tocos didn't even become available until close to the end of the game.

Honestly i'm thankful they skipped this system in the sequel.

DonF

this looks so cool... but I have no plans to own a ps3 and play the first one 8( so I doubt i'll get 2. No plans or rumors of a port of 1 to pc or ps4?

Diablos

i'm totally gobsmacked by this RTS in Ni No Kuni 2.

i'll still buy it, but definitely gritting my teeth about it. not sure where the dev is coming from with this....
Yeah I’m not getting it either.

Isn’t this part of the reason why it was delayed? I’m not confident that it’s worth the wait. I think it’s ridiculous that they couldn’t get the game released by the end of this month.

Diablos

How about they just let us download a playable demo of some sort? It’s the least they could do after so much unacceptable delaying of this game.

MADGAME

Hype somewhat deflated after this vid but still interested. On the fence for day one/new purchase now.

scydrex

Nope... do not want the RTS system. I liked the catching familiars and like it was. The only thing was the grinding yeah but if they fixed that would be a lot better.

[Asmodean]

Everyone loved the style of the first game. So the natural thing to do was remove, and change all of these things for the second? x_x

I know it's a mixed bag... but chibi in VGs really needs to die..

Acrylic7

The concept was interesting in theory but the execution was terrible.

Every time you captured a monster you had to grind for hours in order to bring it to the same level as you.And then when it was ready to change to its second (and supposedly better) form its level (which affected attack power,defence etc) went back to level 1 even though it gained new (and better) skills.So you had to start grinding again.Then repeat the whole process for its final form.
Sure there was also the "solution" of farming Tocos for hours but i didn't find that fun to be honest. And in any case the best place for farming Tocos didn't even become available until close to the end of the game.

Honestly i'm thankful they skipped this system in the sequel.
That could have easily been fixed though. The issues you state are more on the mechanics side of things. The concept of the Familiars were great and completely abandoning the concept is still weird.

Comandr

Man. I loved NNK so freakin much. I was beyond hyped for 2, then this RTS stuff and the lack of familiars really killed it. Went from day one purchase to maybe on sale. :\

v0mitg0d

sorry for the bump, just not sure where else to put this.

If anyone is interested, here's a video of the Trail of Knowledge environmental puzzle. It is a slight spoiler (not story-wise, but puzzle-wise) but if you want to see another thing the game offers, here you go.

Danjin44

The game is almost here so Im not really gonna bother watching anything from it.

Last edited:

Dunki

Just watching Dansgaming right now playing the first 2 chapters and something that really bothers me is the few amount of voice acting and it throws in voice acting at random times. It feels really strange these days.

v0mitg0d

Video of combat, exploration, kingdom management mode and a pretty good boss fight. Takes place in Chapter 4 (when the game really gets going btw). Very little story spoilers:

scydrex

RTS and the changes made me to think of buying this later... preordered the premium edition. need to see more of the game.

sublimit

Banned
RTS and the changes made me to think of buying this later... preordered the premium edition. need to see more of the game.

I think the RTS parts of the game will also be its biggest flaws. I haven't heard even one person that is happy with that addition.

A lot of people also seem to have a problem with the chibi look of the characters on the worldmap but personally i'm fine with it (although i prefer with how the characters looked on the world map in the original game).

Last edited:

Dunki

I'm really looking forward to this and Im kind glad that it not very long JRPG. As much as I LOVED Persona 5 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I need little break from very long JRPGs.

edit: Why there is no review thread for Ni no Kuni 2?
takes a lot of time to make one? xd

Grimmrobe

I think the RTT stuff looks decent. Don't get why people here are saying it's a 'huge turnoff'. It's just another minigame.

The game in general looks pretty and not greatly different from the previous one. I'll still be buying it.

Xilium

I've watched some people play the demo. The lack of voice acting is a pretty big turnoff and what I've seen of the story and characters thus far has been super generic. I'm mostly just indifferent towards the RTS stuff atm.

That said, I need a JRPG fix and there's nothing else that interest me or I haven't already played coming out so I'll probably be picking up the game regardless.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I guess no one here hype for this game enough to make review or OT for it. Too bad I guess...Personally very hype for this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom