• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni II to be more adult-focused, biggest team at Level-5 working on it

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I always loved his work in Takeshi Kitano's films, and his score in the first Ni no Kuni is nothing short of magnificent, so it's good to have him back. Wouldn't be the same without him.

His pedigree is insane... and he scored Kikujiro... amazing amazing!!!!

Asd202

Good but I would love for them to make something more akin to Princess Mononoke. Maybe in Ni no Kuni III...

Widge

Good but I would love for them to make something more akin to Princess Mononoke. Maybe in Ni no Kuni III...

Based on the recent Ghibli stuff, I think the fantastical output of the past was abandoned in going for the slow paced, thoughtful adult drama thing.

Joe Hisaishi involved. Gorgeous art style. Just need that improved battle system and it's over son.

I like how the first one was childlike and innocent without seeming childish. Judging from the debut trailer I like where they are taking it now. Seems heavier.

Maledict

Are they going to make an actual enjoyable game as well? The first one was spectacular in terms of art and setting, but one of the worst Japanese RPGs I've ever played. It combines the dull tropes of the genre (infinite grinding battles with enemies that will respawn just by spinning your camera around) with a pet battle system that made you double down on grinding. And then it topped it all off with a god awful battle system that just didn't work.

A game with such a beautiful world and wonderful light hearted story deserves better than the truly obnoxious, lazy game that lay behind it.

Labadal

I was fine with how the first game in both mood and style. My beef is the braindead companion AI in combat. Gambitlike system, please. Or make the AI serviceable.

I actually like the battle system on the first one :shrug:

The AI can be annoying sometimes and you have to micromanage them, but I thought it was what sets it apart from other games.

A Princess Mononoke style RPG might just be the greatest thing ever

Yeah, this is what I'm saying.

It's my dream game of all dream.
I will play Horizon Zero Dawn and tell myself that's Mononoke.

Forrealsies. Mounting the robodinos is kinda close to riding a huge wolf god.

Nothing against Horizon, which looks potentially cool, but no way does this scratch that itch. The aesthetic doesn't seem to have hardly any overlap, and the cold march of industry overtaking the animistic world theme is totally flipped and twisted in a more generic and modern way.

I'm just going to keep using my imagination on this one :-(

KORNdoggy

tbh i liked mostly everything about the first game. i liked that is was basically pokemon for playstation. and i liked it's RPG-lite combat system. what i didn't like was how the dialogue told you everything you had to do. there was no thought needed for a single aspect of the game.

i'm talking about this sort of thing

76dccf67506ac425693894a80efa264b-650-80.jpg

this happened from the very beginning to the very end of the game. it never assumed you had learned anything and acted like you were a moron throughout. with highlighted "hints" (see: solutions) at every turn. it was insulting.

Rymuth

this happened from the very beginning to the very end of the game. it never assumed you had learned anything and acted like you were a moron throughout. with highlighted "hints" (see: solutions) at every turn. it was insulting.
Yeaaaah...I chalked it up to being 'Baby's First JRPG' so I didn't hold it against it...too much.

It did get rather obnoxious later on - like there was a quest where I need to give a man his Courage. I walked up to him, pressed Square and highlighted Courage but No - I need to talk to him first, have Drippy confirm what we needed to do again, have the game itself bring up the emotional menu and THEN only am I allowed to bestow Courage. Yeesh...

Ryukori

Glad to finally hear something about this game! The first game is my favourite game on PS3. Can't wait to play this!

Pachimari

They've been working through teething troubles on the beta, particularly with responsiveness. The rest of the interview is almost nothing - they have to take things like battery life into consideration and the UI experience as you can play on a phone with only one hand, things like that. Nothing about gameplay, or release date, or anything else.
Nah okay, thanks! They did say, that it would release shortly after the beta, so I wonder when that is. And hopefully it'll be an universal app, so I can play it on my iPad.

DKHF

I see a lot of people didn't finish the first game. That almost happened with me but I eventually got back around to it after a long break thankfully or I would also be really wanting a remaster. Still, hope they do one for the many that didn't finish (or just missed it).

sublimit

Banned
Although i loved the top down perspective of the overworld map in the first game i wish this time they make a fully 3D open world.Level 5's art is always gorgeous to look at and i'd love to explore those beautiful worlds from a 3rd person (behind the character) perspective.

I wish they show us some gameplay at TGS.

The game is not listed for an appearance at Tokyo Game Show 2016.

Source: IGN Japan

God damnit.

I'm like 2 hours into the first game. Will this take place in the same world (possibly featuring characters from the first game?), or is it a self contained stories like mainline FF games?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll echo I hope they vastly improve the battle system - such a blemish on an otherwise fantastic game that had many of the features that RPGs from that gen were missing. Gorgeous and varied environments, sidequests galore, villages and townspeople, an awesome world map. My biggest problem with the gameplay in the game wasn't even the battle system and the shitty AI, rather the fact that evolved monsters start back at Level 1, making stuff a bit of a grind.

Top Bottom