• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni II to be more adult-focused, biggest team at Level-5 working on it

BluWacky

What does he say about Fantasy Life 2 in the interview?

They've been working through teething troubles on the beta, particularly with responsiveness. The rest of the interview is almost nothing - they have to take things like battery life into consideration and the UI experience as you can play on a phone with only one hand, things like that. Nothing about gameplay, or release date, or anything else.

silva1991

I liked the combat in the first one, but I wouldn't mind if they make it full turn based in the second game. The more big turn based JRPGs on consoles the better.

aravuus

The battle system really was bad in the first game. I don't think I ever even finished the game, it just got so annoying.

Fix the combat and I'm in day one.

Pretty much all of my issues with No no Kuni stem from its PS3 remake, so I'm hoping that they'll be able to knock it out of the park now that they're making this from scratch. They can take their time.

Orayn

Kind of sounds like they're doubling down on the (perhaps unexpected) positive reception of the PS3 version in the West. It got raked over the coals in Japan for being so similar to the DS version from what I've heard, but here it seemed fresh and polished with a strong nostalgia factor.

Sadist

"More adult"?

Huh. I really liked that child-like sense of wonder in the original. It made me feel like a kid again and that's a huge plus in my book. The thing they need to fix is the speed/pacing and not add game breaking familiars.

Link1110

Get the Pokemon out of there. That party was unnecessary and poorly done in the original. Just give me a traditional rpg work the look and music of NNK1.

Raw64life

Sounds nice, but like most I'm more concerned with them improving the battle system than anything else. NNK1 was one of my favorite games ever in spite of the battle system.

zeelman

By "more adult," I hope they mean the game respect's the players time because the original was extremely slow-paced.

Exentryk

Good stuff! I loved pretty much everything about the original NNK (PS3).

For NNK2, I'm hoping for more of the same. I don't mind the combat system being real time - it's enjoyable to watch the monsters go nuts with their attacks. I would however like them to provide us more granular control over the AI. They should also get rid of the command wheel and map everything to the controller buttons, while leaving items/magic and other long lists on an in-battle pause menu.

jiggle

The biggest thing they have to change is the size of the pokemons
Just not very satisfying when all of them are midgets

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope Level-5 doesn't do the combat system coz when L5 does the gameplay or battle system, they're slow and boring.

Sanctuary

That's cool. I enjoyed the first game for the most part, but the combat had some pretty glaring issues. It went from annoying, with party members and monsters colliding with each other, to simply being broken after you grabbed 1-2 Dinos.

Exentryk

I want Dinoceros to return! And Tokotoko. And Puss in Boats.

225_dinoceros.png
206_tokotoko.png
007_puss_in_boats.png

i hope with adult feels he is also referring to the design of the monsters - i mean i don't have any problems with cute little monster, but atleast have a balance and add some epic/big/dangerous looking ones

its not like they can't do it or it wouldn't fit in the world
Ni_no_Kuni_Fenrir.jpg

God, I really want to play the first one. But, it's not on PS4 without PSNow and I don't want to play the second without completing the first!

Fireflu

Yes and yes. Puss in Boats was my homie.

This was basically my team as well XD.

Cannot wait for this! But I definitely agree with the sentiment regarding combat tweaks/changes. Not that the combat was terrible in the first game, but it sure did get tedious by hour 50+...

On another note, I REALLY hope Drippy returns in some form, such a fun and charming character.

xenoriddley

As excited as I am for Ni No Kuni II, and as much as I loved the first game, I really wish Level 5 would decide to make Dark Cloud 3 for PS4 or even PC. Still, looking forward to it and hope it lives up to the greatness that was the first!

Shin-chan

I really should go back and beat the first one. I think I just got the boat. It is terribly paced, though, and the combat is a bit messy/frantic/unorganised.

I think it's another title that would greatly benefit from a port to the PS4 as well, like Nier would.

I'm still there day 1 for this but I do hope some of the issues with the first game have been resolved.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If it has a good battle system this time, I might actually be interested. I wanted to like the original, but the demo utterly destroyed my interest.

Tokotoko I used to farm the hell out of in that one region right before the final battle. I think they were a golden variant of some sort with a different naming convention though.

I think everyone used some form of the Toko's to farm. Ugly Duckling Isle was a goldmine for them.

Top Bottom