• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicalis co-founder has some harsh words for the Wii U GamePad.

Silky

Banned
Has Nicalis made a game that uses the power of PS4 or Xbox One?

Nicalis doesn't make games really. they either do ports or publish.

Think of what he's saying; is the Gamepad 'worth it' for the general consumer? What use would the general consumer have for a giant screen in their controller? like the wiimote the pad has the same inconvience of consumer patience. do people /really/ want to wag around a controller for prolonged periods of time. do people /really/ want a fucking huge screen to play hour long games. do people want to flail angrily in front of a camera? no. the pad's a distraction in their eyes.

it's why mobile games are so successful because you tap so very little at it because the games are literally minutes long.

Out of all the consoles i've owned it's my 2nd least favourite. 1st was the wiimote.

I just don't seem to be comfortable playing games with either of these, it seems like it takes away from the precision in games and cuz I play my games on hard it's a huge factor. The gamepad seems too big and cumbersome and the wiimote....waggle waggle nuff said...

Deadstar

The Wii U gamepad works extremely well for asymmetric gaming. I wish there were more games like the Nintendo mario chase or the animal crossing candy game. The only games I can think of that do these things is Nintendoland and Wii U Party. That's the strength of the system, play to it. Give me Psi Ops 2 with a co op mode where one person using powers on the pad and another moving the character on the wii mote. This is what I want.

It has less input lag then most of your shitty 1080p commercial 50 inch televisions, as a gamer, that is a bonus.

Irrelevant to me and probably the majority of gamers. I play on a 110" screen (projector). I would much rather play on that no matter how much more input lag it has than the WiiU pad. I would most gamers who dont frequent message boards (the vast majority of gamers in other words) dont have any concept of input lag.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No, Nintendo's job is to give him the canvas for him to create with. Which Nintendo has done, and rather well. The onus is completely on Tyrone for not making full use of the system's capabilities.

Tyrone is a person who buys and plays games like everybody else. He is entitled to have a customer perspective as he is one. Making games does not remedy his issue.

Tell that to Adam Orth.

Orth was contesting twitter users over unannounced, speculated features of hardware he was working on, and was thus acting as an unofficial mouthpiece. Very different situation.

Aeana

I understand that it doesn't apply to everyone, but as someone who does not live alone and shares the good TV, being able to use the gamepad for off-TV play has been great for me. The benefits of handhelds with a console system.

Has Nicalis made a game that uses the power of PS4 or Xbox One?
You mean has Pixel made a game that uses the power of the PS4 or Xbox one? Because honestly, ports of Pixel's amazing freeware games are the only reason anyone gives a shit about Nicalis. On topic, I don't think the gamepad is the problem with Wii U at all. It's actually a great controller. Wii U's real problems stem from misguided branding, the erroneous assumption that Nintendo could capitalize on the Wii's popularity after letting it wither on the vine for two years, a spotty release schedule with few surprises, and lackluster firmware UI. The gamepad itself is great, and I'd gladly shell out $100 for it if the right software justified a second pad, and if Nintendo ever released the damn thing separately.

Timeaisis

I really like it but it's super under-utilized. I think Nintendo thought wrongly that 3rd parties would experiment with it, but so far nothing that substantial has happened since Zombi U kind of flopped.

It's sad, really. I can imagine some awesome games with it.

Oppo

I would really love to have seen an alternate universe where the 3DS was the off screen... screen, for Wii U.

I love the pad, great for playing off screen when the wife or child is watching TV. Especially when I'm playing Brawl or Mario Kart Wii.

trinest

I have to say if you think about it though, theres only so much you can do in regards to using the touch screen on the game pad. It can be useful and used by developers in such a way. But it really feels like a hit or miss in terms of if it should of been in the package to begin with.

Nintendo Land showed what it can do in terms of party games and it does it so well, in terms of if you want to hide information from someone else. But what could that be applied to in a different sort of genre.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
He is entitled to his opinion...but should he be saying this on twitterwhen he has 2 games in the pipeline for nintendo's console?

Silky

Banned
You mean has Pixel made a game that uses the power of the PS4 or Xbox one? Because honestly, ports of Pixel's amazing freeware games are the only reason anyone gives a shit about Nicalis.

they're porting/publishing The Binding of Isaac, 90s Arcade Racer and they published VVVVV. They're getting out some pretty big independent titles to consoles. This is a ridiculous comment

He is entitled to his opinion...but should he be saying this on twitterwhen he has 2 games in the pipeline for nintendo's console?

his opinion isnt representative of his company. nicalis has released stuff for nintendo hardware before

daxgame

I understand that it doesn't apply to everyone, but as someone who does not live alone and shares the good TV, being able to use the gamepad for off-TV play has been great for me. The benefits of handhelds with a console system.

Pretty much.
I use it almost exclusively for the Off-TV gaming. The rest, I don't really care
Was it worth it?
Yep

His software has done pretty well on all Nintendo platforms. What is there to gain from this tweet that others have not said already? Comes off sounding like a gamefaq user.

btkadams

i get that people love off-tv play, but it's a total niche feature. if that's the selling point of the gamepad, then it should have been an optional peripheral. or, they should have just gone the remote play route with the 3ds.

Shinta

Banned
I use the gamepad all the time ...

I honestly don't get people like this. Personally, it's my favorite controller for most games, easily. Half the time I don't even play on my TV anymore. In my one bedroom apartment, I can literally fire up the gamepad and play anywhere in the apartment. And after the update this summer, it'll start up even faster.

Then there's games like Pikmin 3, Zombi U, W101, Trine 2, Deus Ex: HR, and more that use it in the gameplay pretty well.

Hell, it's worth it just for the map in Zelda: WW HD. It seems trivial. I thought it was trivial. ... until I played it. Then it hit me how much easier it is when the map is displayed at all times. The controller literally probably saved me thousands of button presses that I didn't need to do. Every single time I looked at that screen, it saved me 2 button presses. Every time you're sailing and you want to check what square in the map you're in, that's two presses of the start button, gone. Every time you're in a dungeon and want to see the map, or the chests, or the door you're looking for, or just to see what direction you're facing, that's 2 button presses, minimum. Even better, you can actually see the cursor on the map move for your character in real time now, and navigate dungeons or sailing that way.

If the guy is that anti-gamepad, why did he even get a Wii U?

I could be wrong but I think the dev was speaking about its value in game design terms, not about the off-screen play aspect of the pad.

Off-TV does affect the gameplay. You know how people say things sometimes like, "I prefer to play older JRPGs on handhelds because of the grind." Well, not only can you make virtually ANY Wii U game play like a handheld with a giant screen, triggers and dual joysticks, but you can then switch back to TV if you want on a whim, over and over, at any time. It's both. That is huge.

That first tweet is what I would say to all whinners as well. Don't ask me to make a game to use it, YOU make a game to use it. I'm sure that shut that person right up.

Now about his rant, it's not what a lot of people haven't been saying but in a sense the Wii U was an okay concept just dated the moment it appeared. There's still time for it to be adopted but the impact of was suppose to do for the gaming industry has died. I like the off screen gaming but I wouldn't primarily use it for such. I did buy a huge screen TV for something and the sort of off screen gaming they provide is better for out an about rather than in the house. That's just my opinion.

Shun

Didn't Orth insult the fanbase by telling consumers to deal with it

hasn't Nicalis released stuff on the Wii-U/3DS already? I mean, they're a pretty good pub. doubt it'd sour anything imo

--

holy shit are people seriously sending the guy inflammatory all caps nonsense? lol, internet at it's fucking finest

Nicalis only helped publish games made by Pixel, such as Cave Story and and Ikachan on the 3DS.

Has Nicalis provided anything substantially indie-wise?

I'm not going to criticize them but they chose to develop for the Wii U and he needs to deal with that rather than whine. He's not doing anything productive or positive by complaining on Twitter.

Use your time to provide a compelling product and to learn from this experience rather than complain about it. You aren't EA, so stop whining like it.

Chopper

they're porting/publishing La Mulana, The Binding of Isaac, 90s Arcade Racer and they published VVVVV. They're getting out some pretty big independent titles to consoles. This is a ridiculous comment.
I don't know, but I'm gonna guess that GrotesqueBeauty is in Europe.

PetrCobra

So, I get it the 90s AR doesn't use the second screen? Ok, I can get that off my radar then. Maybe will get it when it's on sale or something. I'm currently playing Deus Ex HR DC by the way, it uses the second screen well and I'm loving it so far.

Silky

Banned
Nicalis only helped publish games made by Pixel, such as Cave Story and and Ikachan on the 3DS.

Isaac Rebirth, Legend of Raven, Girinsia, 1001 Spikes are what Nicalis has in their pipeline, and they published VVVVV

Dude's a troll. I love the GamePad as a controller and for its functionality, and the games that use it in unique ways really shine.

He's a troll because he doesn't like it and you do?

Also out of curiosity: what games? The only ones I can think of are zombiU and Nintendo land, both launch games.

MYE

holy shit are people seriously sending the guy inflammatory all caps nonsense? lol, internet at it's fucking finest

Of course this was gonna happen. I could have told you with 100% confidence before he got any reply that by the way he worded it, it would backfire to some degree. Thats why I was questioning the point of doing it in the first place.

The internet and its gaming community is so predictable that if you are blaming them, you already lost.

Zee-Row

Banned
He is right , Nintendo doesn't even use the second screen for its own games. Donkey Kong Country's second screen on the gamepad is black the entire time.

I'm not going to criticize them but they chose to develop for the Wii U and he needs to deal with that rather than whine. He's not doing anything productive or positive by complaining on Twitter.

Use your time to provide a compelling product and to learn from this experience rather than complain about it. You aren't EA, so stop whining like it.

Ugh...

He isn't complaining but voicing his opinion. Where did you get complaining from all of this? Is it because he's a game designer, it can't be personal opinion but a complaint?

Right, it would've been great as a separate peripheral. Including it in the box has inflated the cost of the console and ultimately sank it.

I agree with him. I think playing games remotely on the controller is a neat idea, but in all honesty I'd much rather pay $100 less for the console given how it's less powerful and has less support from developers compared to its competitors. I'd much rather have a FULL handheld system with Wii U graphics that I'm able to optionally dock with the TV.

I've actually been debating recently whether or not to buy a Wii (for Gamecube and Wii games) or a Wii U (for Wii U and Wii games), and I seriously haven't been able to make up my mind. The Wii U exclusive games look pretty good for the most part, but on the other hand the Wii has BC with all Gamecube games and is $150 cheaper (or even more if I buy a good used Wii).

they're porting/publishing La Mulana, The Binding of Isaac, 90s Arcade Racer and they published VVVVV. They're getting out some pretty big independent titles to consoles. This is a ridiculous comment.
And they deserve credit for helping spread those games to new audiences. I have bought various games they've ported/published, and enjoyed them. The main point still stands however, which is that their whole schtick is riding the coattails of talented indies. So their opinion on the inherent value of a controller means little to me, because I don't place any stock in it past their promotion of more original content creators.

Silky

Banned
hey look at this

H3OeoGO.png

most players don't give a shit about the neat functions the Wii-U pad has, and a lot of developers don't get that

That's cool.
I'm glad they released the Gamepad.

As someone who doesn't live alone and has a lot of appreciation for what great uses of the pad there have been in Pikmin, NintendoLand, and Deus Ex—as well as the superior Netflix and Amazon Prime controls, it is my favorite controller.
Not only that, but you don't have to do anything more creative than cut and paste ideas that have been in use on the DS to come up with comfortable uses of the Gamepad that cannot be emulated on either the Xbox or the PS4. TWEWY style battle systems, Etrian Odyssey map-making, or even intuitive and simple SRPG unit pathing and placement with action that unfolds on the big screen.

I hope Nintendo keeps supporting it and eventually some other developer pulls their head out of their ass and at least copies an idea for two screen gaming from the DS.

Zornack

And they deserve credit for helping spread those games to new audiences. I have bought various games they've ported/published, and enjoyed them. The main point still stands however, which is that their whole schtick is riding the coattails of talented indies. So their opinion on the inherent value of a controller means little to me, because I don't value their opinion past the promotion of more original content creators.

It's not "their" opinion, it's one dude's opinion as a consumer first and as a developer second.

Also, how is porting "riding the coattails of talented indies"? That's quite an insult.

Glass Joe

He's a troll because he doesn't enjoy the gamepad?

I know right? And he also supports the Wii U by developing games for it, so it's kind of hard to call the guy a troll. I think he's just frustrated that he spent his time working on Wii U stuff and the user base isn't where he projected it to be. Plus, his games obviously don't actively use the concept.

LocalE

"Pave the path". Why should he be trying to make games that prove the concept of the controller? That's Nintendo's job.

I agree with him, it's a waste to have it with the system. Just an anchor in the sea of irrelevancy.

Does he make games? Does he have to wait for the platform holder to use hardware in a certain way before he can consider using it that way in the games he makes? Those are real questions. I don't know this guy or his situation. I do agree that there seems to be little benefit to tweeting this kind of shit when it is known that he is associated with a company releasing games for the Wii U.
If he's going to make games then surely he has his own ideas of how they can be fun and cool. He doesn't need Nintendo to show him how to make video games does he?
wtf is this really?

Top Bottom