• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicalis co-founder has some harsh words for the Wii U GamePad.

MYE

He's a troll because he doesn't enjoy the gamepad?

@tyronerodriguez @inubashirimomi The Dreamcast did it better. #VMUforever .

Tyrone Rodriguez ‏@tyronerodriguez 30 min
@Yukai00 @Inubashirimomi Even the PlayStation did it with the PocketStation. I still have mine somewhere...

Troll or not, this is not a smart thing to do IMO
But more power to him if gets something out of it.

Silky

Banned
And they deserve credit for helping spread those games to new audiences. I have bought various games they've ported/published, and enjoyed them. The main point still stands however, which is that their whole schtick is riding the coattails of talented indies. So their opinion on the inherent value of a controller means little to me, because I don't place any stock in it past their promotion of more original content creators.

so not only are you ignoring his right as a consumer to have grievances with a product that he owns, you're undermining the importance of indie publishers by dumbing it down as 'riding the coattails of talented indies'

what do you think of devolver digital btw

@tyronerodriguez @inubashirimomi The Dreamcast did it better. #VMUforever .

Tyrone Rodriguez ‏@tyronerodriguez 30 min
@Yukai00 @Inubashirimomi Even the PlayStation did it with the PocketStation. I still have mine somewhere...

Dreamcast did do second screen gameplay better. it was unobtrusive and served for only basic things like showing health bars for horror games and was a much faster way to transfer data for games like Marvel

Off-TV does affect the gameplay. You know how people say things sometimes like, "I prefer to play older JRPGs on handhelds because of the grind." Well, not only can you make virtually ANY Wii U game play like a handheld with a giant screen, triggers and dual joysticks, but you can then switch back to TV if you want on a whim, over and over, at any time. It's both. That is huge.

No it doesnt. Whether you're playing the game on the tv or gamepad, you're still playing the same game with the exact same controller.
Remote play on the vita/ps4 is a better example of what you're getting at because of the drastically different layout of the vita versus the ds4.

I use the gamepad all the time ...

I honestly don't get people like this. Personally, it's my favorite controller for most games, easily. Half the time I don't even play on my TV anymore. In my one bedroom apartment, I can literally fire up the gamepad and play anywhere in the apartment. And after the update this summer, it'll start up even faster.

Then there's games like Pikmin 3, Zombi U, W101, Trine 2, Deus Ex: HR, and more that use it in the gameplay pretty well.

Hell, it's worth it just for the map in Zelda: WW HD. It seems trivial. I thought it was trivial. ... until I played it. Then it hit me how much easier it is when the map is displayed at all times. The controller literally probably saved me thousands of button presses that I didn't need to do. Every single time I looked at that screen, it saved me 2 button presses. Every time you're sailing and you want to check what square in the map you're in, that's two presses of the start button, gone. Every time you're in a dungeon and want to see the map, or the chests, or the door you're looking for, or just to see what direction you're facing, that's 2 button presses, minimum. Even better, you can actually see the cursor on the map move for your character in real time now, and navigate dungeons or sailing that way.

If the guy is that anti-gamepad, why did he even get a Wii U?

Off-TV does affect the gameplay. You know how people say things sometimes like, "I prefer to play older JRPGs on handhelds because of the grind." Well, not only can you make virtually ANY Wii U game play like a handheld with a giant screen, triggers and dual joysticks, but you can then switch back to TV if you want on a whim, over and over, at any time. It's both. That is huge.

this. it has completely justified itself to me. Ive loved using it for pikmin, zombiu, splinter cell, windwaker, etc. Plus i played quite a bit of stuff off screen with it, and i have loved using it for netflix. Furthermore, it is by far the best internet-on-tv device i have ever used. Many times i have had people over and we would use it to look up articles on the internet, or browse youtube vids, etc.

Definitely agree. There might be nothing fundamentally or even significantly "wrong" with the GamePad as a controller, but expecting people to pay $100 more than the base console price (historically $200) when the technology doesn't really enable new games (like Wii Remote did for Wii Sports) or do anything significant to expand the appeal of existing game types (like online did for shooters), it winds up being more of a barrier to adoption than a selling point.

I do believe the gamepad should have just been an accessory to allow remote play. They could have then bumped up the cost slightly and added a better quality screen which would have made it perfect.

As it stands sometimes it simply gets in your way, the Wii U would sell a lot more if they could make it optional and drive down the price. I'd pick one up again in a heartbeat. (I realize this isn't going to happen).

I like off TV play, but that certainly isn't worth the weak hardware or the extra $100, if that cost is accurate. I don't know what Nintendo was thinking.

Rocky

Banned
I don't own a Wii U, but DS virtual console seems like a good enough reason to have the gamepad.

Well, I do own a 3DS XL in addition to a Wii U. It plays all my DS games just fine and I don't think I want to have to rebuy my DS games just to play them on the Wii U.

gioGAF

I don't understand why so many people are getting on his case. It must be the "vocal" minority because what he is saying is true. WiiU sales numbers are his proof, if this GamePad gimmick was truly worthwhile, the WiiU would have found more success. Most gamers don't want it, most developers don't want to support it, it is a lame duck. Who the hell asked for a PS360 with a second screen controller?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was a great idea when I first heard about it, but I'm not a fan in practice. Even for games that do use it, I find it a bit jarring to have to take my eyes off the TV to look down at the Gamepad. It doesn't work well for a quick glance like it did on the Nintendo DS.

I do like the off-screen TV play option, but that's not a feature that's going to sell systems for most people. I do think they made a great controller in the Wii U Pro pad, but you can't use that in every game. I distinctly remember the frustration of being forced to switch to the gamepad during Mario 3D World to do the Toad stages. All so I gained the magical ability to blow in the controller... I did not appreciate that one bit.

Also, it sucks that it's required for Pikmin 3, but the actual game controls horribly with the thing. You are forced into some weird situation where you have to control with the Wiimote + Nunchuck but also need the Gamepad placed somewhere nearby. Switching between the two is terribly awkward.

I think there are bound to be some cool ideas for the thing, though. Hopefully someone will get around to making them happen.

Silky

Banned
Is he the same guy that said Kojima was terrible at making games?

And then I mentioned Konami. "Konami doesn't make good stuff," he argued. He says in particular that Metal Gear Solid developer Hideo Kojima should stop making games and start making bad movies (ironically, Kojima just might). "He's terrible at making games. Metal Gear is good in spite of him. I haven't enjoyed a game of his since maybe the original Metal Gear Solid, maybe." He feels the recent ones are tedious, riddled with bad writing, bad story-telling, and bad control.

well he's half true. Konami hasn't made a good game in ages but MGS is gdlk

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116513-NightSky-Dev-Kojima-is-Terrible-At-Making-Games

That Tyrone guy sounds like an asshole.

But on a serious note. I love Nintendo and I own a Wii U, PS4 and an XO.

I'm sure the same thought has crossed the minds of some of you that the Wii U probably was born of the concept, "DSi and 3DS worked, let's do the same thing on a TV". But once you disconnect the two screens it's not the same thing, it doesn't feel like a symbiotic relationship between the TV and the controller. On the 3DS and DSi we basically have no choice, they're connected and that's the end of it. But the difference there is that we don't have this giant piece of hardware that feels out of place. For good or for bad, it IS the 3DS and there have been some clever uses of the two screens.

On the Wii U, I turn it on via the gamepad and go grab my Pro or Wii Remote.

Oddduck

I dont get this thread nor its reaction, did the OP get edited?, where are the harsh words?, I'm lost o_O

Calling the Wii U GamePad a waste of $100, saying nobody uses the GamePad, and it's a waste of development resources and time..... is not harsh when your company has a good relationship with Nintendo?

Also, it sucks that it's required for Pikmin 3, but the actual game controls horribly with the thing. You are forced into some weird situation where you have to control with the Wiimote + Nunchuck but also need the Gamepad placed somewhere nearby. Switching between the two is terrible awkward.

Particularly as the map in Pikmin 1 and 2 were far superior imo and didn't require a second screen.

Kurdel

Banned
Two Gamepad games would not be wise, because it would appeal to such a small part of the audience.

I actually have a Gamepad, Vita and Shield in my nightstand. The streaming aspect has become a focal point for me, and I haven't played Wii U or PS4 games on the TV other than day one.

Loving this gen so far.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Is clear that the gamepad has been a commercial failure. But I personally like it, even if just for the off-tv play.

Silky

Banned
Calling the Wii U GamePad a waste of $100, saying nobody uses the GamePad, and it's a waste of development resources and time..... is not harsh when your company has a good relationship with Nintendo?

but his opinion isn't representing his company. it's a waste of dev resources because devs either have a difficult time making somthing accessible enough for most gamers to not mind using on the damn thing or not use it at all.

It's not "their" opinion, it's one dude's opinion as a consumer first and as a developer second.

Also, how is porting "riding the coattails of talented indies"? That's quite an insult.
When a developer/publisher puts something out there that's relevant to their profession they forgo any sympathy when people react to it. Consumer first and developer second is an arbitrary context, and a cop out. The only reason this guy's opinion has any sort of platform is for the reasons I already mentioned. And you can consider it an insult, but I am perfectly comfortable saying that without Pixel's freeware as a springboard people would not have cared much about Nicalis. That doesn't mean their efforts are without value, but it does mean their opinions are only as meaningful to me as the actual role they play in content creation.

edit: Well, saying "this guy" seems kinda weird now that he's posting here. Hi there Tyrone.

Ya, I'll bet he makes self referencing jokes on message boards. ;D

MYE

Dreamcast did do second screen gameplay better. it was unobtrusive and served for only basic things like showing health bars for horror games and was a much faster way to transfer data for games like Marvel

I had a Dreamcast... dude no. Just no lol

And he is the one who says the "PocketStation did it better too", not the DC guy.

The gamepad is a bad joke. Nintendo gambled on casuals eating it up and failed miserably. That left them with a device that doesn't appeal to any group of gamers. WTF are developers supposed to do with that?

phanphare

Banned
It seems trivial. I thought it was trivial. ... until I played it.

story of the gamepad

I hate saying things like this because obviously the console isn't attractive to a lot of people but you really have to have the Wii U and gamepad in your home for a prolonged period of time to see all of it's benefits.

Oddduck

but his opinion isn't representing his company. it's a waste of dev resources because devs either have a difficult time making somthing accessible enough for most gamers to not mind using on the damn thing or not use it at all.

So when an EA employee calls Wii U crap and walking dead, he's representing his company. When the co-founder of Nicalis criticizes the GamePad, he's not representing his company?

I don't own a Wii U, but DS virtual console seems like a good enough reason to have the gamepad.

It sounds really cool until you stop and think about it for a second.

Most DS games excel at using two screens because both of the screens are in your cone of vision at the same time. On Wii U you'd have to constantly look up and down and up and down while playing one.

Kandinsky

Well, I read his tweets wrong, I thought he was talking about a second gamepad for 100, ignore.

Gamepad is a good idea. It's just too bad no one use it. Same for asymmetrical gameplay. There's a lot of stuff you can do, but I think Wii U being a commercial failure right now prevent any concrete use for it. This but also the people yelling the Gimmick word. I think Skyward Sword was fantastic thanks to motion controls. Some people thinks its a gimmick. See my point ?

Now I agree with the Nicalis guy: Someone has to show the way, and its up to Nintendo to do so. But off topic, I also hate Nicalis for a reason: They dont care about Europe.

LAA

Meh. I guess I understand what he means, but he doesn't seem to know why that is or go into detail.

And Kinect is more meaningful than the gamepad? Come on.
The gamepad actually has use in-game, all the kinect is used for (At least according to my knowledge) is just the OS. Not aware of any game that uses it for gameplay. Apart from the likes of...Zumba, Just Dance, Kinect sports..and the like...

I don't really see the gamepad as a waste personally. I wouldn't want it replaced with just the Pro Controller now that I've used the gamepad. Depends if the Wii U had everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) to make up for that. AKA, account locked purchases, achievements, party chat, messaging, better graphic potential and third parties.
Sadly I doubt even Nintendo could handle all of that even if they didn't dedicate time and resources into the gamepad. Most (if not all) of this stuff is something Nintendo has been lacking for a while. Even if they managed it, (Which if they did, it'd be considered more of a competitor to PS4/X1), I'd think I'd still want a PS4 more than a Wii U (Though I may have wanted both). Depends on a lot too I guess though, like if the likes of KH3 went to Wii U, FFXV, etc. Even then I think those games...just belong on a sony console for me, espicially KH3, wouldn't seem right to me after playing the vast majority of KH's on sony machines, ha ha. Same for FF really.

Gamepad is a good idea. It's just too bad no one use it. Same for asymmetrical gameplay.

Could you imagine a Mario Kart game where the GamePad player could activate stage hazards with the GamePad? Yeah, it's goofy, but I could see it being a ton of fun. Ugh, there's so much potential for it

Gamepad is a good idea. It's just too bad no one use it. Same for asymmetrical gameplay. There's a lot of stuff you can do, but I think Wii U being a commercial failure right now prevent any concrete use for it. This but also the people yelling the Gimmick word. I think Skyward Sword was fantastic thanks to motion controls. Some people thinks its a gimmick. See my point ?

Now I agree with the Nicalis guy: Someone has to show the way, and its up to Nintendo to do so. But off topic, I also hate Nicalis for a reason: They dont care about Europe.

I do care about Europe. I do want more players to play these games, but the redtape in place doesn't make it easy or desirable to do the work when I know that our games will sell MUCH less in Europe.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I agree with him, I'm mainly a Nintendo console player and bought a Wii U day one, but man, I really hate the GamePad. Yes, Off-TV play is actually a really useful feature and not being isolated to the TV can be very beneficial from time to time, but I find myself using the Pro controller whenever I can. I initially never had problems with it but after going back to traditional controllers, the GamePad feels huge and clunky.

Honestly, Miiverse should have been the console's selling point, with the GP scrapped in favour of a different controller (I know, easier said than done.)

Chopper

But on a serious note. I love Nintendo and I own a Wii U, PS4 and an XO.

I'm sure the same thought has crossed the minds of some of you that the Wii U probably was born of the concept, "DSi and 3DS worked, let's do the same thing on a TV". But once you disconnect the two screens it's not the same thing, it doesn't feel like a symbiotic relationship between the TV and the controller. On the 3DS and DSi we basically have no choice, they're connected and that's the end of it. But the difference there is that we don't have this giant piece of hardware that feels out of place. For good or for bad, it IS the 3DS and there have been some clever uses of the two screens.

On the Wii U, I turn it on via the gamepad and go grab my Pro or Wii Remote.
You make a good point, but it raises an important question:

Can we have Cave Story+ in Europe please?

Edit: Addressed above, I suppose. I know it's off-topic, but I would love to know more about this red tape.

Silky

Banned
Meh. I guess I understand what he means, but he doesn't seem to know why that is or go into detail.

And Kinect is more meaningful than the gamepad? Come on.
The gamepad actually has use in-game, all the kinect is used for (At least according to my knowledge) is just the OS. Not aware of any game that uses it for gameplay. Apart from the likes of...Zumba, Just Dance, Kinect sports..and the like...

QgEh4xu.png

--

the fuck cave story+ aint in europe?

tyrone didn't shit on the entirety of the console. he just pointed out how not useful the gamepad is for most people. which is arguably true.
Much like the IR pointer before it, the Wii U pad is a woefully underutilized control method. That's a software problem though, not a controller problem.

It's abundantly clear that the GamePad was a horrible idea. Even if you're in the niche that enjoys Off-TV play or the minigame collections that use it, surely you understand that this device does not enhance many of the games that are released on Wii U nor does it offer a compelling proposition to most people.

--

Much like the IR pointer before it, the Wii U pad is a woefully underutilized control method. That's a software problem though, not a controller problem.

I reject the premise that the two have equal potential. What is that based on? Just because they are both "underutilized" doesn't mean they are equal. A Wii Remote is white, and so is a piece of paper. That doesn't mean they both have equal gaming applications.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
they're porting/publishing The Binding of Isaac, 90s Arcade Racer and they published VVVVV. They're getting out some pretty big independent titles to consoles. This is a ridiculous comment

his opinion isnt representative of his company. nicalis has released stuff for nintendo hardware before

saying stuff on twitter hasent been a good excuse for people in the games industry in the past, unfortunately.

Top Bottom