• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicalis teasing a physical release of Cave Story on Nintendo Switch.

They also tweeted about 1001 Spikes.

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/829445975806611456

pe3sHu9.jpg

Give me a straight answer Nicalis, you son of a bitch.

Want want want

Actually I've only bought this on Wii and 3DS. Playing on that sexy Switch screen will be delicious. Physical release would make it even better.

Have they given a date for this on Switch?

oh wow cant wait to buy a switch just to buy overpriced ports of games i own everywhere else!!!!!!!

day zero for cave story, 1001 spikes physical. already have 3 isaac physicals preordered lmao

Never played the games they've teased for Switch, apart from Isaac, but absolutely want this to be the platform I play them on! The Switch box arts so far have been on point, really inspired.

tsundoku

Also above all else someone who has bought the remakes and not just played the free pc release recently informed me that the remakes all have "cool remixes" aka horrible butcherings of the original soundtrack?

Just go download the game for free on your computer if you've never heard of it

1upsuper

thanks. Sounds like it's worth checking out

I've often heard it referenced as one of the most known JP indie titles but I wanted to know why people considered it so special. :)

A lot of early indie projects lacked a certain cohesion between their various elements. Cave Story's story, art, and music all feel appropriate and are consistent with one another, and so the game really stood out at the time. I do not think CS is the best indie game ever, but everyone should play it and it still holds up remarkably well.

Eila

Also above all else someone who has bought the remakes and not just played the free pc release recently informed me that the remakes all have "cool remixes" aka horrible butcherings of the original soundtrack?

Just go download the game for free on your computer if you've never heard of it

The steam version has both soundtracks and graphics. And some new modes not in the original.

jax

Banned
I'll never understand the benefit of buying physical games in 2017. Wouldn't you rather just have a bevy of games in the Switch at all times and not have to mess with game cards?

You lose the card, it's gone. You want to trade it in? You get pennies on the dollar. Let a friend borrow it? They'll never give it back.

I dunno.

zoukka

I feel this is a cash grab wave that exploits the launch drought. Let's port all these old ass games to Switch and give them a nice physical release.

Ain't nobody got time for these small indie games unless they are digitally on the device.

random25

I'll never understand the benefit of buying physical games in 2017. Wouldn't you rather just have a bevy of games in the Switch at all times and not have to mess with game cards?

It's nice to display the cases in your shelf. And of course it's easy to re-sell physical copies, especially if it becomes sought after years after.

jax

Banned
I feel this is a cash grab wave that exploits the launch drought. Let's port all these old ass games to Switch and give them a nice physical release.

Ain't nobody got time for these small indie games unless they are digitally on the device.
But.. game cards!

?

It's nice to display the cases in your shelf. And of course it's easy to re-sell physical copies, especially if it becomes sought after years after.

But they don't sell for very much.. I mean granted selling used games has saved my ass a few times for sure but is it really worth it?

Maybe I don't get the shelf thing either as my gaming shelf is pretty barren, plus I'd rather have the satisfaction of looking at all the games on the home screen.

You lose the card, it's gone. You want to trade it in? You get pennies on the dollar. Let a friend borrow it? They'll never give it back.

I dunno.
Art.

RockmanBN

I like boxes and good boxart. I don't usually stick with one game for a while and don't switch constantly, so there isn't too much hassle with changing games.

These Nicalis box arts are on point. Hopefully the Isaac face on the bottom of the official art. I prefer the darker art than the cuter one.

bindingofisaacpreorder-1024x691.jpg

I dunno.

That's an incredibly unconvincing argument against physical games.

I'd rather be able to put them in my console and play them 20 years from now when the Switch store won't let me download them anymore.

With physical, I have nearly complete control over my games. Absolutely not the case with digital.

Losing games or loaning them to friends who don't return them is kind of a person by person issue. I'm very careful with my belongings. Taking good care of my things means I can play my games as long as I want (practically speaking).

I dunno.

Gaming culture.

jax

Banned
That's an incredibly unconvincing argument against physical games.

I'd rather be able to put them in my console and play them 20 years from now when the Switch store won't let me download them anymore.

With physical, I have nearly complete control over my games. Absolutely not the case with digital.
Eh. In 20 years my Switch will be long gone. I guess really it all comes down to different collection mentalities. Plus, has a digital service ever shut down entirely like that?

& if they're all digital, it's impossible to lose them. You could lose your Switch and just call Nintendo up and wham, all the games are back on the replaced console. Peace of mind. Especially since those cards are very small.

I still buy physical games, but only if they're on sale or I get a good deal on them. Usually the discs get thrown around and scratched. I hate it! Much easier to just have it all in one place for a disorganized bastard like me. Haha

Eh. In 20 years my Switch will be long gone. I guess really it all comes down to different collection mentalities. Plus, has a digital service ever shut down entirely like that?

Yeah, it's definitely not something everyone prioritizes. And yeah, the Wii Shop Channel is no longer available as far as I know. No redownloading games from that service anymore.

The same will happen with current storefronts eventually too, just cuz they're obviously not gonna keep them up forever.

But youre right that it ultimately just has to do with individual mentalities. I just like the idea of being able to play my Switch games years from now. I still play many many old games on old systems (Gameboy family especially) that I couldn't if I had purchased them digitally (notwithstanding the fact digital distribution didn't exist at those times, but I'm talking hypothetically).

Sizzel

The box art on everything posted here is bananas. I am not a collector, but if I was this would be backflip time. Is that who this re releases are appealing to? Like the amiibo/ physical/collectors edition/ game shrine / toy crowd? Is it because the Switch library is thin? Is it the mobile segment excited to game on the go with titles they already own?

I keep reading about xyz small indie game released on Switch after being on everything and reading super positive reactions and I am confused. I feel like releasing games that are already out on a ton of stuff isn't hypeworthy, but people are getting jacked up. I am all for the positivity though - just trying to figure out the source.

jax

Banned
Yeah, it's definitely not something everyone prioritizes. And yeah, the Wii Shop Channel is no longer available as far as I know. No redownloading games from that service anymore.

The same will happen with current storefronts eventually too, just cuz they're obviously not gonna keep them up forever.

But youre right that it ultimately just has to do with individual mentalities.
That really sucks, actually. I have a ton of digital games though that service on my Wii U. Now I can't redownload those? Most of them VC games that never got a physical port. Thanks for taking my money and running, Nintendo.

And yeah, judging by the issues GameStop and Best Buy have been having it seems like they may be on the way out as well.

Why can't you just buy a physical game and optionally install it? That would be the answer. That way everyone wins. I'd even pay $10 more for that option.

jonno394

The box art on everything posted here is bananas. I am not a collector, but if I was this would be backflip time. Is that who this re releases are appealing to? Like the amiibo/ physical/collectors edition/ game shrine / toy crowd? Is it because the Switch library is thin? Is it the mobile segment excited to game on the go with titles they already own?

I keep reading about xyz small indie game released on Switch after being on everything and reading super positive reactions and I am confused. I feel like releasing games that are already out on a ton of stuff isn't hypeworthy, but people are getting jacked up. I am all for the positivity though - just trying to figure out the source.

A lot of it is physical collectors, some of it is just the best indie games available to play on the go wherever.

random25

But they don't sell for very much.. I mean granted selling used games has saved my ass a few times for sure but is it really worth it?

Maybe I don't get the shelf thing either as my gaming shelf is pretty barren, plus I'd rather have the satisfaction of looking at all the games on the home screen.

The game's value is a case-to-case basis. Some games ended up with practically no value, while others become something that others are willing to pay double the original price, or higher.

As for the shelf display, a lot of gamers I know do this things still. Even youtubers who does gaming discussions like to have those on display. So it's just personal taste.

Top Bottom