• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicalis teasing a physical release of Cave Story on Nintendo Switch.

jax

Banned
The game's value is a case-to-case basis. Some games ended up with practically no value, while others become something that others are willing to pay double the original price, or higher.

As for the shelf display, a lot of gamers I know do this things still. Even youtubers who does gaming discussions like to have those on display. So it's just personal taste.

I guess it may also be a generational thing. My older brother has loads of physical media which I won't lie, looks awesome, me I've always been a trader. Getting pennies on the dollar for games I wish I never sold, so the collection never really grew, then digital purchases started happening and .. yeah.

Like I said though, given the option of a purchasable install, and I'd be all over that. Best of both worlds.

That really sucks, actually. I have a ton of digital games though that service on my Wii U. Now I can't redownload those? Most of them VC games that never got a physical port. Thanks for taking my money and running, Nintendo.

And yeah, judging by the issues GameStop and Best Buy have been having it seems like they may be on the way out as well.

Why can't you just buy a physical game and optionally install it? That would be the answer.

To clarify, I'm talking about the digital storefront on Wii. I'm pretty certain they shut it down, though I could be wrong. But that means you can't access the Wii Shop Channel anymore, or redownload titles from it. So it's kinda shitty for digital only titles but that's why people get excited about physical media I think. It exists long after the digital versions have been made unavailable.

I really think physical games should come with the digital copy though, as you described. I would take advantage of that every time. But as is, buying digital is just way to prohibitive for me considering how long I play most of my games. I like the idea of being able to pick them up and play them years from now since games tend to have a lot of longevity for me.

Is this confirmed to be the 2D version? If so, I'm in day one.

If it's the terrible 3D remake...ehhhhh

At this point any new cave story releases should include both. I didn't care for the 3d version enough to buy it the first time either, but there's no good reason to not give everyone the choice.

To clarify, I'm talking about the digital storefront on Wii. I'm pretty certain they shut it down, though I could be wrong. But that means you can't access the Wii Shop Channel anymore, or redownload titles from it. So it's kinda shitty for digital only titles but that's why people get excited about physical media I think. It exists long after the digital versions have been made unavailable.

I really think physical games should come with the digital copy though, as you described. I would take advantage of that every time. But as is, buying digital is just way to prohibitive for me considering how long I play most of my games. I like the idea of being able to pick them up and play them years from now since games tend to have a lot of longevity for me.

I don't think the Wii shop channel shut down. They did shut the other Wii online services down, but the shop channel is still up.

I don't think the Wii shop channel shut down. They did shut the other Wii online services down, but the shop channel is still up.

Ah, gotcha. Good to hear! Actually this is really good news for me because there are several titles I need to redownload on my Wii while I still can.

However I do know that someday these services will have to cease (right?) for the sake of maintenance costs. To me it seems more of a "when" rather than an "if."

That really sucks, actually. I have a ton of digital games though that service on my Wii U. Now I can't redownload those? Most of them VC games that never got a physical port. Thanks for taking my money and running, Nintendo.

The Wii Shop is still open. Nintendo Wi-fi Connection is shut down because the third party that handled it no longer exists.

Nezzhil

Looking forward to seeing these on store shelves in Dec 2019.
If you're talking about the EU release, you're too optimistic, 2021 or later.

Either way, these Nicalis boxarts are top noch. I will be a Switch owner for sure (but I don't know when), so I'm really interested in these indie physical editions (even if I have to import from videogameplus or another import friendly shop)

Sendou

Liking the box-art! Could definitely buy it if the price is right. I don't think it deserves the same price as Binding of Isaac anymore for example.

Someone was wondering why buy physical games on Switch. Well one strong reason is that their featureset for sharing digital games is going to be most likely non-existant. If a feature akin to Family Share on Steam was available it would be a lot easier to buy only digital.

Mandelbo

The *only* issue I have with that box is the blue on blue with the Nicalis logo, but other than that it looks stellar - I'd totally buy it again, especially if it meant I could actually finish it this time without steam updates breaking it :p

budpikmin

Superior Japanese 3DS box art please

cstory1_thumb.jpg

Crayolan

Holy shit. Not even getting a Switch at launch but I will pay whatever they want for this day 1 provided it has all the content from the + version on Steam.

What is cave story

Educate me

One of the best 2D jump n shoot games ever made.

Also one of the best indie games ever made.

Rappy

I guess it may also be a generational thing. My older brother has loads of physical media which I won't lie, looks awesome, me I've always been a trader. Getting pennies on the dollar for games I wish I never sold, so the collection never really grew, then digital purchases started happening and .. yeah.

Like I said though, given the option of a purchasable install, and I'd be all over that. Best of both worlds.
I'm assuming you mean trading to Gamestop (or other retailers), which is one of the worst things you can do when trying to sell used things. But besides that, you get absolutely no pennies going digital unless you sell your account.

flohen95

It is a nice way around though, nothing to stop us from importing.
It's certainly good that that option exists and that there's no need for any workarounds, but if we just accept that and always go "well but you can import though", certain companies won't ever care about getting their product out to as many people as possible. Importing is still a hassle, still more expensive and you still feel treated as a second-grade customer (if that), despite it being much more easy than it has previously been.

Don't get me wrong, I do import games when I really want them (and I in fact plan to import The Binding of Isaac), but "just import bro/it's region free" shouldn't ever become the default option or response.

I'll never understand the benefit of buying physical games in 2017.

While digital has a lot of advantages, the Switch is a portable, game-card-based physical system, with very limited internal memory. So one advantage of physical games (for the Switch) is to preserve the internal memory, as they (should) run as fast from the game card.

Other consoles typically install games on an internal hard drive from an optical CD, which is similar to digital ditribution, minus the download, so they aren't much better. A much better physical medium would be cartridges, but there aren't many gimnicks that can be put in them that aren't already available in the consoles themselves (gyros, rumble...), except maybe going back to putting the data directly accessible as RAM-like extensions for instant loading times...

Goddamn, I've been thinking real hard about replaying Cave Story and a physical release on top of it, its a no brainer. They already got me to pre-order Binding of Issac as well. The power of the physical release!

Santar

Now if only the console had an actual d-pad for these sidescrolling platform games.
Still boggles the mind it doesn't have one.

jax

Banned
While digital has a lot of advantages, the Switch is a portable, game-card-based physical system, with very limited internal memory. So one advantage of physical games (for the Switch) is to preserve the internal memory, as they run as fast from the game card.

Other consoles typically install games on an internal hard drive from an optical CD, which is similar to digital ditribution, minus the download, so they aren't much better. A much better physical medium would be cartridges, but there aren't many gimnicks that can be put in them that aren't already available in the consoles themselves (gyros, rumble...), except maybe going back to putting the data directly accessible as RAM-like extensions for instant loading times...
Eh. 200 GB is a lot. I'll never fill that space.

Larger games I'll buy physical, but these darling indie titles gotta be digital

Seil

Now if only the console had an actual d-pad for these sidescrolling platform games.
Still boggles the mind it doesn't have one.

I really do hope an alternate left joy-con with a proper d-pad comes out. And sooner rather than later. The patents show the idea at least crossed their minds.

And before people start bringing up the pro controller, I'm probably never going to dock the thing and I'm not lugging a pro controller around.

Ouroboros

I love Cave Story. I would buy it physically on the switch. I would preorder it. I would get a collectors edition. This game.....this game....

phanphare

Banned
I like boxes and good boxart. I don't usually stick with one game for a while and don't switch constantly, so there isn't too much hassle with changing games.

These Nicalis box arts are on point. Hopefully the Isaac face on the bottom of the official art. I prefer the darker art than the cuter one.

bindingofisaacpreorder-1024x691.jpg

so is BoI still coming at launch or not?

You know ive never actually played Isaac. Is it really that good?

As for Cave Story, I love that game. Not sure i will rebuy it unless there is something more to it, but i do love it. Id like to see a Cave Story 2.

Top Bottom