• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Niche games: How much do they matter?

So recently there's been discussions (because you know why) revolving around about how much certain games matter or don't matter. And if you've been in any of those other threads, you've probably seen that list. You know, the one of the upcoming (mostly Q1) PS4 games. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here it is, more or less:

Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Nier: Automata
Guilty Gear Xrd
Persona 5
Dragon Quest Heroes/XI
Earth Defense Force 5
Dynasty Warriors series
Samurai Warriors series
King of Fighters XIV
Ace Combat 7
Yakuza series
Yooka-Laylee

It differs depending on who's posting it, but as you can see most of are lesser-known (outside of GAF/gaming circles) Japanese games. A common response to that list is "none of these games matter" or "they're niche games that won't sell a lot." And it's true, something like Red Dead Redemption 2 will outsell every Japanese game on this list combined, but I don't think its entirely about sales. It's also about diversity.

Like I said, most of those games listed above won't sell all that much individually, but combined and over time, I think they can attract a not-so-insignificant number of people to the PS4. If, for example, (warning: totally made up numbers incoming) Persona sells 100k people on a PS4, Nioh sells 50k PS4s, Nier sells 10k PS4s and so on, it starts to add up (note: these [madeup] numbers aren't software unit sales, but [madeup] PS4 sales). None of those numbers are significant on their own, but as you get more of these games on your system, it only helps.

Not only that, but it's a compound effect: You get more niche games on your system > people buy your system for said niche games > those niche games sell better as the audience for them grows.

I don't see why Sony should stop going after these games, especially when either a.) they're cheap to make, or b.) they're not even financially responsible for them. I don't think it particularly harms Sony to court them. In fact, it probably helps them (otherwise, why would they keep doing it?).

And I've seen several others share the same sentiment in the other threads:

Why do people use the argument "But those games won't see systems"? It's a dumb argument, PS4 doesn't need help selling, but all those games add up. Libraries sell systems. All those niche games add up over time and corners a segment of the market, and Horizon and GT sport, God of war, Uncharted will move systems.

People keep saying exclusives don't matter. IMO that's BS. Just because you don't see a big bump when a game launches doesn;t mean they don't move systems, over time people know about those games will get the system for those games when they finally decide to buy a console. Many people got a ps4 knowing Uncharted, GT, God of war, etc.. would eventually come. All that japanese support matters as well.

I love the "They are niche!", "They aren't AAA", "Who?", and "They don't sell!", well keep laughing, I'll be keep on enjoying a large variety of games on PS4 as will a lot of other people. The japanese games give me breaks from the western games and is one of the reasons I buy PS. Along with ND of course.

Think of it this way, all the niche exclusives have a couple hundred thousand fans, every niche/AA exclusive eventually adds up to millions of fans who enjoy ps4's library of Japanese, AA and indie games.

Couple hundred thousand for persona
Couple hundred thousand for Bloodborne
Couple hundred thousand for Ni No Kuni
Couple hundred thousand for Yakuza
Couple hundred thousand for Nier
Couple hundred thousand for Nioh
Couple hundred thousand for Kingdom hearts
Couple hundred thousand for Ratchet and Clank
etc
etc
etc
They all add up.

That's where I stand on the matter. They draw in new audiences to your system and help sustain those audiences. They build longtime fanbases (see: Ueda games). They encourage more developers to release those niche games on your system.

To me, the question is as to the metric by which these niche games collectively have an effect? Obviously they aren't the most biggest factor to a platform's sales or growth, but are they an important factor nonetheless?

And this isn't just about niche Japanese games, but niche games in general. If we look specifically on the Xbox, we're also talking about games like Sunset Overdrive or ReCore. Or D4 or Scalebound (yes I know they're Japanese). And that's something I wanted to make clear, since many in Master Ninja's thread expressed apathy to not getting Japanese games, which is fine, but that thread ended up focusing specifically on Japanese games, whether Xbox gamers care about them, and whether Microsoft should bother investing more into them (answer: they shouldn't). So to Xbox fans: surely you guys want more games like SSOD, ReCore, or Ori(? does this count?) right? Because those titles bring diversity into the line-up of the system.

This isn't to say that Microsoft has totally stopped investing into niche games. After all, they are publishing titles like Cuphead; however, if what we're hearing from certain people is true, then they are at least scaling back on pursuing these games, especially when it comes to bigger (in scope, not popularity) games.

On the flipside, if Sony were to drop supporting these games (either by not making the games themselves or by not helping out like with marketing or publishing like they're doing with Nioh) would it hurt Sony in the longterm? To Sony fans: would that negatively impact your view on Playstation or would you not be all that affected?

Hell, we can even bring Steam into this topic. There are so many smaller games there that definitely aren't mainstream, but people still enjoy nonetheless. Games you absolutely would never see anywhere else, especially on console. Games like Sir, You Are Being Hunted, The Stanley Parable, or Sunless Sea just to name a few. In fact, I'd argue Steam is probably the strongest case for this entire argument on why niche games can have a great effect.

Still, it's also not as if this prevents 3rd AAA blockbusters from coming. They'll still be there, and they'll still sell millions, but appealing only to that audience limits what games become viable on your platform because you curate an audience that doesn't care for those games. But that also doesn't mean throwing away money just for the sake of 'variety,' a point that Figments made in another thread:

The three examples you used are JRPGs or Japanese action games (I assume "Nicer" means Nier), both genres that Microsoft have tried and failed to garner interest for time and time again. It's incredibly difficult for me to take seriously an argument for these kinds of games on Xbox when A) the history of success with these titles on this platform is spotty at best, and B) it's argued for the sake of diversity, not taking into account what the company's focus is and where they should aim their attention given that context.

Arguing something simply for the sake of it is a bad argument. Diversity can be achieved in ways which take into account the company's focus and historical strengths.

But I believe there can be a balance somewhere in between.

What do you think? Do these smaller, niche titles move you more towards one platform or the other?

For me, very much yes. If those smaller niche games stop existing I'd probably not care about this hobby as much as I do.

Granted I am a niche.

Einhander

Yes. Absolutely. Falcom, Square Enix, Atlus, and Namco (for Tales of series) games play a big part in my decision in buying consoles.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd say as a huge collective, they really matter and pull in several small fanbases. But if it's like 1-3 niche series in some system, they won't.

bomblord1

Banned
I think a niche market is usually sign of either a large healthy user base (because there are enough people games can target specific groups and still make money).

Or that the user base is very focused on certain styles of games.

Mentok

Banned
They matter when you talk about game libraries. They may not move a large number of units in terms of console sales on their own, but when added to the larger picture I'd say they do.

I care a lot about niche games. They are the primary reason I still play video games today. Without them, I probably wouldn't play or purchased nearly as many games. I like that most of them offer a unique, imaginative experience that you cannot get from AAA games which seems to be what so many people love today. Niche games all create diversity in a line-up which imho can look more enticing to consumers world wide despite their lower sales and popularity. I hope they will always be around. Keep them coming guys. I will try my best to support them.

jacobeid

Banned
They matter a lot to me. They're the reason the last two years have not been great as a whole and why I'm so excited for the next few months.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is not really that niche. Yes it is a new IP with a new kind of setting, but it has enough familiar open-world game design and enough marketing and hype that I think it could not be considered niche.

On topic - Gaming really does need niche games. Niche games can influence other developers, making them important to the development of the medium. As an example, Demon's Souls (and other subsequent Soulsborne games) may not have been a massive blockbuster, but you can see its influence in some of the biggest games out these days.

Sanctuary

Can anyone really argue the importance of niche games after what Demon's Souls did? A lot of people had a similar dismissive attitude regarding it, and look at where we are today. It's also the reason I purchased a PS3 when I did. Had it not arrived, I might have waited much longer to get one, if at all.

As a matter of consequence, I am getting a PS4 Pro earlier than I otherwise would have due to Nioh.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
They factor into perception when certain segments make purchase decisions for new hardware yes. All told, they have a very marginal imprint on the market in terms of dollars or percentage of software sales.

Different story on PC

Arulan

GAF is often obsessed with what is mainstream. I'm not even talking about tastes, but in playing armchair corporate interests.

We're consumers, supposedly in large part enthusiasts, and most certainly not corporations. Niche games should matter to us most of all.

They are like music sub genres of a genre. They are relevant and always will be.

No need to put importance on it as if its somehow better than some other game that didnt fit your defined category of "niche".

Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Nier: Automata
Guilty Gear Xrd
Persona 5
Dragon Quest Heroes/XI
Earth Defense Force 5
Dynasty Warriors series
Samurai Warriors series
King of Fighters XIV
Ace Combat 7
Yakuza series
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Yooka-Laylee

One of these things is not like the other ...

They factor into perception when certain segments make purchase decisions for new hardware yes. All told, they have a very marginal imprint on the market in terms of dollars or percentage of software sales.

Different story on PC

the correct answer already on the first page.
good job ;)

anzai

Neo Member
I care a lot about niche games. They are the primary reason I still play video games today. Without them, I probably wouldn't play or purchased nearly as many games. I like that most of them offer a unique, imaginative experience that you cannot get from AAA games which seems to be what so many people love today. Niche games all create diversity in a line-up which imho can look more enticing to consumers world wide despite their lower sales and popularity. I hope they will always be around. Keep them coming guys. I will try my best to support them.

This. Totally agree.

Even if the game is not popular, a strong word of mouth can really makes a different. Dark Souls wasn't the franchise that it is right now if Demon Souls were not talked about. The game was originally released only in Asia without any marketing. I still remember when a friend loaned me Demon Souls to play and I have no idea what this game is about. He hype it so much that now its one of my of my favorite series

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Depends on what we mean by "they matter," but I think that generally speaking, indivudal niche games don't make a difference in how people perceive a system, but having a lot of those sorts of games can.

Yagharek

Niche games are essential for the breadth and depth of a library. Not everything has to be a blockbuster. But sometimes a niche game can grow, organically, into something big and wonderful which millions can enjoy.

Rozart

A console where niche games can thrive is especially appealing to me because I feel like you're more or less guaranteed to have a diverse gaming library with some gems of a title hidden in there.

Case in point: I just watched a 60 min gameplay vid of Nioh yesterday and it looked glorious.

Dremorak

Banned
They absolutely matter. I think you're underestimating how much they sell when you say that Red Dead 2 will outsell them all.

Every copy of a game sold a percentage goes to the console maker. That's the main way to make money from consoles. Just because I don't buy battlefield doesn't mean I don't benefit from them if it is published on the system I play on. That money from battlefield gives the system revenue and then that revenue can be reinvested elsewhere that helps me.

Adaren

To give another example: Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 probably sold a lot more Wii U units than another Mario-universe game would have. I know that they made it an easy choice for me to pick up a Wii U, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Yeah, seems like a very easy question to answer

Well, the question wasn't do they matter, but to what extent?

Horizon: Zero Dawn is not really that niche. Yes it is a new IP with a new kind of setting, but it has enough familiar open-world game design and enough marketing and hype that I think it could not be considered niche.

I just copied a list. Not all of those games are supposed to be specifically niche. Even though they're remasters, I wouldn't call the KH games niche either.

Niche games are essential for the breadth and depth of a library. Not everything has to be a blockbuster. But sometimes a niche game can grow, organically, into something big and wonderful which millions can enjoy.

That's another good point: Niche games can eventually become more mainstream games (Souls series).

Niche games matter a goddamn lot. They're the unique and weird titles that deserve the attention and be games that other games should seek build to on.

silva1991

They matter so much to em considering my favorite games this gen are niche and Persona 5 is likely going to be my GOTY.

And Kingdom Hearts isn't niche. At least the 2 and only mainline games weren't.

Yeah, I agree. Individually, they don't do much but collectively, yeah, I feel they create something notable for the system. Basically, it is better to have them there than not have them. Or even more simple, the more games, the better.

Something like Gravity Rush 2 alone is a huge breath of fresh air (unique setting, colorful world, unique gameplay, etc...) among games that share a lot of similarities (that I still enjoy, of course, but yeah).

Also, my game of the generation is the "niche" Bloodborne.

TriAceJP

I play Bemani, JRPGs and quirky off games like Katamari Damacy.

I am the niche. No niche, no gaming for me.

I am interested in a good portion of the OP. In fact, I am ONLY interested in a good portion of the OP list.

Wagram

Nier will sell me on a PS4. Horizon and Red Dead will not. It's all about taste and diversifying the library to get someone to get through the door. Xbox has a few titles i'm interested in, but there isn't anything on it i'm in dire need of playing. Lost Odyssey 2 (which by all accounts would be niche sales for them) would be that game that would open the door. That would allow for even more sales on other titles i'm interested in like Rare Replay.

Small things add up.

If all we got were games like The Division or Gears of War 4. I wouldn't be playing games anymore.

Crayon

It's not the quantity of users these attract, but the quality of users. These are the deep tracks of videogames and they can attract taste makers.

They matter more than any other AAA game that tries to appeal to as many people as possible while just becoming bland and forgetable. These games will develop cult followings that much more people will care about than any Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed or Halo.

Dragun619

I'd like to think they matter, cause eventually it all adds up, and just having a bigger library with plenty of choices seems like a plus for any console.

It's even better when some of those niche titles end up being be great titles too.

TP

They are my life and the reason I still play new video games instead of just leaving the hobby and playing old shit for the rest of my life.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can't see how anyone could disagree outside of the fact that they are just strawmanning. Games matter and content matters for a lot of people

Kingdom Hearts and Horizon Zero Dawn are not niche.

And niche games do matters. Of course they don't have mainstream appeal, but they don't need that to draw people to your system. There are people that are buying PS4 for Persona 5, for fighting games, for Souls games like Bloodborne and now a competitor like Nioh. Filling these different niches builds a diverse library that can appeal to many different tastes. I still say that is PlayStation's biggest strength.

Fury451

Banned
Those kinds of games were exactly why I loved gaming to begin with, and still do today.

Niche, whatever that entails, is very important. More choice is never, ever, bad.

Top Bottom