• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nickelodeon reviving Invader Zim for TV movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintZ

It's official now:
Four key original voice cast members — Richard Horvitz (Zim), Rikki Simons (GIR), Andy Berman (Dib), and Melissa Fahn (Gaz) — will return for the 90-minute movie, which picks up on a “perpetually desperate and delusional” Zim hatching a new plan to achieve his goal.

Zim’s return is significant for a couple reasons, one of which being its healthy second life in the zeitgeist as something of an animated cult classic despite just two seasons of story (which, really, is the crux of the whole “cult classic” part). Moreover, Zim joins Hey Arnold and Rocko’s Modern Life as the third title in Nickelodeon’s animated vault to be re-booted for TV: Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie will air this year, and a Rocko’s Modern Life TV special is also currently in production.
I'm so happy ;__;

Geist-

fJrlK4L.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If the original creator isn't involved I'm not going to be expecting much and think this goes the route of the rebooted Power Puff Girls show. If the original creator is on board there is a much better chance of it being both good and true to the original series like Samurai Jack season 5. I could care less if the voice actors came back without the creative talent behind the show.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Enjoyed Invader Zim when I was youngun'. Recently watched the first DVD release with a group of people and it really holds up on the comedy side of things, hoping for good things with this TV Movie but anticipating that it won't feel the same.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

As a kid I didn't really appreciate the show, but now that I'm older I realized how aesthetic and awesome it was. And how much I love Gir :eek:

So happy ^^

____

There was a thread recently about reviving old cartoons...and I swear my answer was Invader ZiM.

This pleases me greatly.

Poppy

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

As a kid I didn't really appreciate the show, but now that I'm older I realized how aesthetic and awesome it was. And how much I love Gir :eek:

So happy ^^

are you some kind of reverse human, is this like a benjamin button situation

I'm still not sure how to feel about all of these TV movies. Even for Zim that was struck down in it's prime, I feel like it's been far too long to strike that magic that helped make those shows good back in the day.

this makes me soooooooo happy.

One of my favorite cartoons growing up; I think that was the first time I had to deal with a show I loved getting cancelled and being at a young age (10) I was pretty passionate about it, heheh. A TV special is more than I ever expected.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Not to be a sour puss on this because I'd love me some more Invader Zim, but I talked to my friend about this who is a HUGE Zim fan and she says this story comes about every year or so and was last posted about back in November and was debunked.

EW is the only one posting about this story now and I don't see any mention of this news on any of Nicklelodeon's social platforms and including their Press Release site, and I didn't see anything on this from Jhonen Vasquez' Twitter. Plus, that EW story doesn't link to any sources themselves either. So, it's a case of I'll believe it when I see it coming straight from the horse's mouth, either from Nick or from Vasquez himself.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I loved the 1st 2 seasons of Invader Zim. Watched it so much that I repeat it word for word lol. 3rd season was garbage imo. I can't wait!

PSqueak

Banned
hold the phone, they're making one for Rocko's Modern Life?

FUCK YEAH!

Well, as long as they keep the risque stuff untouched.

Glad they're bringing this back. The humor of this show was definitely like nothing else on the channel, it's a lot like Grim and Evil.

I wonder if the creator is involved since he seemed completely done with this show aside from writing some of the comics.

Zubz

Banned
I think they implied Vasquez is involved when this info first dropped. That was US Election Night, though, so this entire story's been buried for awhile. Between his last pilot still being owned by Disney for the time being & him working on the comic, I'd assume he'd be involved, though.

A lot of these recent revivals had me skeptical, but Samurai Jack doing a decade-later finale right at least gives me some confidence. Still split on Hey Arnold!, though, & since Rocko wasn't heavy on continuity, I'm doubtful that'd be good.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
As long it involves Jhonen Vasquez and Roman Dirge somehow, sure.

Edit: Oh, and Aaron Alexovich if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom