• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nickelodeon reviving Invader Zim for TV movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until they deliver, Nick has nothing. Cartoon Network is grossly mismanaged, but they've at least proven themselves with one revival, & about 4 good, active shows between them & [adult swim].

Honestly, I'm not a studio historian, but it really seems like Nick has trouble managing a healthy rotation of IPs. Spongebob did so well for so long, but they couldn't rely on live-action, Klasky-Csupo and Butch Hartman shows forever. I suppose it really doesn't matter in the larger sense, since for all I know Pig Goat Banana Cricket could rate just as well as CN shows with more clout among older fans.

Though it may be a bit too obvious a ploy, these kinds of revivals (plus more Spongebob features) make sense to attract older fans (some with families.) I guess you could say Korra was part of the same impulse. But regardless of positive or negative fan reaction, expensive but had limited appeal, though from what I gather Avatar was never a ratings powerhouse either.

RK128

Hey Arnold, Rocko, now Zim?

Nickelodeon >>>>>>>> Cartoon Network right now

I agree Nick has gotten better recently (Harvey Beaks and Loud House for original shows, greatly improving Spongebob for the two recent seasons), they still have a lot to prove. It's not like in the Early-Late 2000's where they pushed out great stuff often (with some duds spread about). They really have nothing until most recently.

With a mixture of quality original shows like Loud House and revivals of classics from the Network (Hey Arnold, Rocko and Zim), they will be in a very good spot in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a movie for Danny Phantom (Butch has been heavily hinting at continuing Danny Phantom through diving into possible plot threads, character design changes and even a small cross-over short mainly being set within the DP universe) and Rugrats (this is an iconic Nicktoon and I would be shocked if plans for a revival show or movie haven't been discussed at this point).

Edit: Cartoon Network and Disney has been impressing me with their animation efforts. CN has a lot of great shows lined up for the future (even though they overexpose the heck out of TT Go for some dumb reason....) and Disney has been really impressing me lately (as they had Star Vs., Gravity Falls, Wonder Over Yonder, Tangled the Animated Series, and the Mickey Mouse Shorts). Nick has been really trying to get back into the game while CN and Disney have been toppling over them, so it's nice seeing competition foster quality content.

To be fair, CN has shows from CN Studios as well as WB Animation. Of course, Boomerang is now syphoning off some of the latter's output.

KrebStar

All these comebacks, and still no Pete and Pete season 3 DVD.

Nice to see Zim get another shot anyway. Hopefully it doesn't go all in with the GIR humor.

Well, I'm definitely going to watch the Hey Arnold film...but not really interested in anything else.

I much prefer a Jimmy Neutron (no, Planet Sheen doesn't count ew), Rugrats or Danny Phantom revival.

Honestly, I'm not a studio historian, but it really seems like Nick has trouble managing a healthy rotation of IPs. Spongebob did so well for so long, but they couldn't rely on live-action, Klasky-Csupo and Butch Hartman shows forever.

Klasky-Csupo? What is Klasky-Csupo doing for Nick right now? The last major show these guys were doing for Nick, was All Grown Up! which ended since 2008.

EDIT: OH? How did I miss this?! Hopefully this didn't die... http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/rugrats-characters-returning-nickelodeon/

First we get a final season for samurai Jack,then the first episode of season 3 of Rick and Morty and now an new Invader Zim? Cartoons are awesome again.

Sponge

Banned
So I'm here asking myself the most important question that's still unanswered.

Is Minimoose back?

latest

Well, I'm definitely going to watch the Hey Arnold film...but not really interested in anything else.

I much prefer a Jimmy Neutron (no, Planet Sheen doesn't count ew), Rugrats or Danny Phantom revival.

Klasky-Csupo? What is Klasky-Csupo doing for Nick right now? The last major show these guys were doing for Nick, was All Grown Up! which ended since 2008.

EDIT: OH? How did I miss this?! Hopefully this didn't die... http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/rugrats-characters-returning-nickelodeon/

I would hate to see them try to revive Rugrats. Rugrats is still an amazing show that holds up really well (it got voted 2nd best 90's cartoon on GAF only behind Simpsons). I would have 0 trust for anyone, including the original creators to do it justice.

I have a MIGHTY NEED for this, indeed.

But, really want some confirmation that Vasquez is invovled.
I'm so in if Vasquez is involved.
As long it involves Jhonen Vasquez and Roman Dirge somehow, sure.

Edit: Oh, and Aaron Alexovich if possible.
https://twitter.com/JhonenV/status/849759497778192385
People who say that my involvement in the ZIM special puts their minds at ease should know that I see that as a challenge to HURT THEM.

Amazing, so the world ending is the price for Samurai Jack, Rick and Morty S3, this, Rocko's Modern Life, and Hey Arnold.

Meh, I've never been partial to this world so bring on the quality entertainment until the bombs drop.

notacat

*bump*

Ok, I know this forum is industry. how deep does that go exactly?

I don't recall coming across a "who's hiring" thread here that sites like news.ycombinator.com have. Am i missing them somehow?

I'm not looking, but I know a few media industry people who may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom