• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nickelodeon reviving Invader Zim for TV movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal-Geo

How has Jhonen Vasquez not produced like 5 shows for [adult swim] yet? Seems like the perfect place for him to go bonkers with his ideas and stories. Or did his experience with Nickelodeon kill every ounce of enthusiasm he had for animation?

Anyway, I'm so game for an Invader Zim and Rocko movie. But it feels like this news pops up every other year or so.

Zubz

Banned
How has Jhonen Vasquez not produced like 5 shows for [adult swim] yet? Seems like the perfect place for him to go bonkers with his ideas and stories. Or did his experience with Nickelodeon kill every ounce of enthusiasm he had for animation?

Anyway, I'm so game for an Invader Zim and Rocko movie. But it feels like this news pops up every other year or so.

Nope. He went to pitch a pilot to Disney instead. Unless you're Roilland/Harmon, or arguably Tartovsky, [as] consistently screws over its animators, anyway, even in-house (See Aqua Teen Hunger Force getting cancelled after the Boston episode got leaked over 10 years later).

Him avoiding them may have been intentional.

A Zim revival could work, and a Hey Arnold revival will be fun, but Rocko (as good as it was) seems like it should stay in the 90s.

Nope. He went to pitch a pilot to Disney instead. Unless you're Roilland/Harmon, or arguably Tartovsky, [as] consistently screws over its animators, anyway, even in-house (See Aqua Teen Hunger Force getting cancelled after the Boston episode got leaked over 10 years later).

Shit look at how they treat venture brothers, their most successful show. And The Boondocks who's budget was so constrained and fucked with that the series creator just walked away.

PSqueak

Banned

He was involved on that cartoon about the teenage ninja kid, tho it wasn't HIS show i think he was mostly character design and lead animator.

Sponge

Banned
Looks like what C.H. Greenblatt said last year was real. That would mean Vasquez is involved.

Edit: Beaten

So now that's Legends of the Hidden Temple, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, Invader Zim, and rumors of a Rugrats project in the works.

What has happened on the Cartoon Network side? A bad Power Puff Girls reboot and the excellent final season of Samurai Jack. We need more, like Dexter's Lab.

mr_nexus

Banned
This is a great surprise! I just recently transferred my Zim DVDs to my computer and was going to start re-watching it.

"I'm not being funny! I'm being TERRIFYING... and SPOOKY!"

It's almost as if I'm hearing my conversations with my girlfriend being repeated verbatim hehehehehe

Interesting. I kind of wanted Jhonen to taunt fans perpetually, but since it's happening, I hope it's good. I've only read a bit of the comic, but it seems like he's still got a passion and interest in the characters. Unlike Jack, I think keeping it on Nick and not going completely mature is a good idea. I recommend listening to his interview on the Nick podcast, I think he's got an interesting and balanced perspective that may be hidden by the "subversive"/wacky quality of his work and (early) fanbase.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm on-board. Happy most of the cast and series creator is too.

Imagine if they announced this on April Fool's.

Missed opportunity.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Jhonen is confirmed.

1476804392673.gif

GamerJM

Banned
This show was great, but I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of a revival. It just....doesn't feel like it needs one. It's one of those things that was perfect the way it was.

Maron

Shit look at how they treat venture brothers, their most successful show. And The Boondocks who's budget was so constrained and fucked with that the series creator just walked away.

For Boondocks the problems lied with Sony Pictures and their fucked up relationship with Aaron that forced him out, not Adult Swim. Even the Sony email hack had some stuff touching on that a bit.

Maron

This show was great, but I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of a revival. It just....doesn't feel like it needs one. It's one of those things that was perfect the way it was.

I'd agree with this I'd it was a new season or something, but if this is like the Hey Arnold TV film and is going to just end the story (since Zim always DID have an ending in mind too) then I really don't see the harm in doing this one-off to properly close the book.

Plus it can easily be ignored if you never want to see anything else besides the original run.

Gorillaz

Gennedy pulled off Samauri Jack S3 because of how well establishd he already is within CN. I think a bunch of the old guard from CN in the late 90s came back with higher position in the company so he had a door to pull this all off. In most cases we shouldn't be getting a revival like this with more breathing room over a DECADE after a show was cancelled. I think it's mainly office politics that helped to make this happen.

Zubz

Banned

If it is really happening Jhonen doesn't know and not involved or think it's false reporting.
https://twitter.com/JhonenV/status/849309006015455232

NeoGIF.GAF

But yeah, we know he's in now, but he was definitely getting around a premature confirmation.

Imagine if they announced this on April Fool's.

Missed opportunity.

Part of me thinks it might've gotten buried again, mostly by the surprise Rick & Morty premiere.

Zubz

Banned
Hey Arnold, Rocko, now Zim?

Nickelodeon >>>>>>>> Cartoon Network right now

Until they deliver, Nick has nothing. Cartoon Network is grossly mismanaged, but they've at least proven themselves with one revival, & about 4 good, active shows between them & [adult swim].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom