• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban join American Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bog

Junior Ace
Forgive me, I don't actually follow pop music, but Minaj is a dude, right? Like when RuPaul did that Covergirl song in the 80s?

Radec

iir35sSqMQBan.gif

I guess this means Pop-GAF are coming. Time to bail out before the freakshow arrives.

Lmao. This is so good and spot on.

I think I need stiches.

Mumei

That's actually a great idea. I'm sure someone who was actually in the competition would make a better judge than someone brought in just to boost ratings.

Mmhm.

I actually liked the idea of having one of the winners or runners-up coming back to judge the show. But I think that the problem with the show has nothing to do with the judges and everything to do with the producers. The judges need to have independence in order to actually, you know, critique contestants for what they did wrong. I'd like to never see any more bullshit critiques where judges simply make up nonexistent problems or "emotionally perfect" compliments for performances that were an off-key mess.

But the whole show exists in this ridiculous "NO! CRITICISM BAD! EVERYONE IS A WINNER!" bubble and has for so many years now that I just don't see it happening.

But honestly I wouldn't really care about any of that if they just had someone at least on Kelly's level when it came to basic vocal ability and tone.

Samara

Whatever happened to that other girl anyway? It was Paula Randy and Simon and her. I think that was the last time I watched idol. (on the 5th episode she was on)

Revolver

Whatever happened to that other girl anyway? It was Paula Randy and Simon and her. I think that was the last time I watched idol. (on the 5th episode she was on)

Kara DioGuardi? I think that was around the time I lost interest in the show too.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Hell, at this point, next years judges should include Dave Mustaine.

Actually, Dave or James Hetfield would be better than Nicki.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
They should have gotten Kelly Clarkson or Jennifer Hudson or Carrie Underwood.
Kelly wouldn't do it. She seemed to enjoy doing that awful Duets show, but she said it took too much time away from her own career. She wasn't able to do a full world tour because of it. She's already made it clear, in so many words, that she won't do Duets again; the judges all only signed on for that one season.

I understand Mariah and Keith Urban being on the panel. They're comparable (genre-wise) to The Voice's Christina and Blake Shelton. Nicki Minaj? I guess I could see her being AI's "match" for Cee Lo. But why on earth did they break down and let Randy back in? They should have just kept it at three judges once Enrique or whoever decided not to do the show.

Well that was unexpected. Not as unexpected as Ellen, but still somewhat surprising.
Ellen was a joke. I love her, but there was no reason for her to be an AI judge. America's Got Talent or something like that? Sure. But a singing competition? Absolutely not. At least Kara works in the business.

EulaCapra

Holy crap, one of the few instances where a reality competition show isn't saturated by white guys who have no place in judging talent.

Eric C

They should have gotten Kelly Clarkson or Jennifer Hudson or Carrie Underwood.

That's actually a great idea. I'm sure someone who was actually in the competition would make a better judge than someone brought in just to boost ratings.
Kelly Clarkson was on that ABC show this summer.

Britney Spears was on Star Search as a kid. Star Search is kind of similar to these shows... kind of.

royalan

Nicki Minaj is awful..but I don't mind this panel. Actually, I think it's a fucking awesome panel (second to The Voice....and it would actually take Herculean effort to get a panel worse than X-Factor).

Nicki Minaj will clearly be the Paula Abdul of this panel. She has some industry chops (I mean, you don't go from making bootleg mixtapes to fronting tours in 3 years without knowing SOMETHING about how to entertain people), but mostly she'll just be good for the incredibly stupid soundbites. She's insane, and you never know what's going to come out of her mouth or how she'll react to something, and that makes good TV. She's also irl friends with Mariah, so they'll have chemistry from day one.

Mariah Carey will be The Authority on the panel. No one who has ever judged this show is more qualified to critique these lessers than her. If she has the balls to step up to the plate, she could be the ultimate Diva Authority this show desperately needs.

Don't know much about Keith Urban's music, but from the interviews I've seen he seems like a very likable, big-brother type foil to Mariah and Nicki's loud divaness. Kinda like what Randy used to be between Paula and Simon.

Randy Jackson...not a damn good thing I can say about him being on this panel. Completely useless and should just go the hell away.

All in all, not quite as good a panel as the The Voice, but easily has the potential to be much better than the completely soulless, chemistry-devoid panel over at Flop Factor. W

ToxicAdam

I watched every episode of AI from season 1 through season 8 ... I won't even bother watching one episode of this. It's ova Johnny.

tmarques

She sings I guess, but she's not that good at it... :/ But then again Paula Abdul never had that strong of a voice either and we all gave her a free pass.

Because she was drunk most of the time and slept with contestants. I doubt Minaj will be that entertaining.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I like when she does the funny voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom