• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban join American Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Can Mariah still hit all of those notes she is famous for? (This isn't shade. Genuinely asking.) Or has she f-ed up her voice like a lot of great singers eventually do? The only recent-ish song of hers that I've heard/can remember was that "Obsessed" song.

Can Mariah still hit all of those notes she is famous for? (This isn't shade. Genuinely asking.) Or has she f-ed up her voice like a lot of great singers eventually do? The only recent-ish song of hers that I've heard/can remember was that "Obsessed" song.
Her famous "whistle" register hasn't suffered, and her unique vocal tone is still intact (cue Mumei with her recent jazz performance), but her ability to hit higher belted notes (using her chest voice rather than her airy head voice) has been on a painful decline since 1997.

There have been some good periods (2002-2004 most notably) but 1997 is the mark at which most agree her voice turned an unfortunate corner.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I watched every episode of AI from season 1 through season 8 ... I won't even bother watching one episode of this. It's ova Johnny.

You made it further than me! I made it to 6. I don't know if I outgrew it or it turned to shit.

Mumei

Her famous "whistle" register hasn't suffered, and her unique vocal tone is still intact (cue Mumei with her recent jazz performance), but her ability to hit higher belted notes (using her chest voice rather than her airy head voice) has been on a painful decline since 1997.

There have been some good periods (2002-2004 most notably) but 1997 is the mark at which most agree her voice turned an unfortunate corner.

Hmm?

And she has around the same overall total range (e.g. somewhere in the high second octave through somewhere in the high seventh octave), but she doesn't have the same stamina or vocal quality or higher chest belts. She has still hit F5 and F#5 belts in live performances in the last year, but the power and resonance are not the same. She is also much more likely to lip to the studio or prerecord new live vocals than to sing notes above around D5.

She is still reliable in studio, though.

But long story short, her voice is in dire shape compared to her prime... but she's still good.

I wonder if what Keke Wyatt was talking about was true; Your voice and range changes often for the worse after having a baby. Mariah had twins right?

RE Nicki Minaj: This wont change the decline in ratings AI has been having?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Er-Country Singer? Date(ed?)s Nicole Kidman. Come on, son. At least keep up with pop-culture?
Aren't he and Nicole engaged or married? Maybe I made that up. I don't feel like looking it up.

He definitely seems like he is American Idol's answer to Blake Shelton on The Voice.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aren't he and Nicole engaged or married? Maybe I made that up. I don't feel like looking it up.

I haven't been following either of them too closely, but all you have to do is simply pick up a People's Mag in a doctors office one day and simply see his name somewhere in there.

royalan

Wow, she sounds AMAZING here! DAT LOWER REGISTER AT 1:05!

Jazz lounge in full gown, seated next to the pianist improvising on the spot, staying on key and serving flirty face. #TRUEDIVA

And props to the pianist. You can tell right at the beginning of "Lullaby of Birdland" he thought she was going to do the traditional version with a slightly faster tempo, but switched it up without missing a beat when he noticed her going for a slower, sultrier version. *.*

I wonder if what Keke Wyatt was talking about was true; Your voice and range changes often for the worse after having a baby. Mariah had twins right?

Nope, that won't happen until the Producers make some changes to how the show is structured.

IceCold

Nicki Minaj has a fake ass???

Fake everythang.

mJ36M.jpg

Mumei

She had twins, but I think that that actually ended up helping her. I wouldn't say because of any of the physiological changes (e.g. thickening vocal cords are not good for higher notes), but simply because it forced her to maintain a healthier lifestyle for the over two years or so while she was either pregnant, including the first miscarriage, or trying to get pregnant.

Vocal issues can be as much a product of unhealthy lifestyle choices as they can be about fundamentally bad technique. Mariah went from this to this in the span of less than a year. You can see her lipping at several climactic points in the second video. I don't think anyone really knows why her voice "broke" during that period. Probably a combination of lifestyle factors, vocal fragility, and some technical choices (e.g. her aspirating too much with the breathier vocals; her constant belting when she has thinner and more fragile cords).

1992? I had no idea how old she was. Looks like 30.

W9Mfb.png

Switters

The only person there fit to judge is Mariah, if this were a pure singing contest. Since it's an entertainer contest, well, anyone could fill that spot.

and

Kieth Urban's music is the ice cold pallor of hoar frost one feels encrusting their mind as they slip into a fatal, hypothermic coma. Music that should only be administered in cases of mercy killing. Music to play at an orphanage fire.

Had to get that off my chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom