• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban join American Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Nicki Minaj can't rap. At all.

If she can rap, Justin Beiber can do opera.

::braces self for inevitable shitstorm from POP-GAF::

Revolver

Nobody watches this anymore do they?

I think it's still the highest rated show on FOX and second only to Sunday Night Football in overall ratings despite declining a bit. I haven't watched a full episode of it in years though but I catch bits and pieces of it from time to time. It must burn Simon Cowell up that it's still trucking along without him.

Between Mariah and Nicki, the amount of fake hair consumed by the end of next season would be enough to cover the heads of every single cancer patient in North America.

The judges have always just been ratings boost. The show is still voting based. Remember Sanjaya who was constantly bashed by the judges yet he stayed in for so long? Towards the end Simon didn't even talk to him after his awful performances. Nicki is here to bring some ratings.

ibySJ1RYCmxLKg.gif

So Gaga fans?

Hahahaha, marry me.

HONESTLY, this whole reality talent show judge trend started by Christina Aguilera is just embarrassing and an eternal stain on what little dignity these people have left.

I don't think the singing matters any more? The only success from any of these shows seems to be Kelly Clarkson, who is a legit pop star and will be around for years. They are basically just trying to make as much money on this before it dies out as possible.

It's not about who the best singer is, but who can be marketed outside of the show. Again, I don't think they even care about that any more.

YoungHav

Banned
It's not just the fact that Minaj can't sing, but the other judges who can't have at least been in the music industry for decades. 4yrs ago I've seen Nicki on YouTube rapping from poorly lit piss smelling project staircases.

botty

Banned
Mariah is the queen of music, and Nicki is the queen of rap. Both have definitely earned the right to judge people on this show (Mariah more so than Nicki). They will bring so much entertainment value to an otherwise stale show. You guys should give Nicki a chance, although, I understand blind hate is a common thing around here.

Mariah is the queen of music, and Nicki is the queen of rap. Both have definitely earned the right to judge people on this show (Mariah more so than Nicki). They will bring so much entertainment value to an otherwise stale show. You guys should give Nicki a chance, although, I understand blind hate is a common thing around here.

I thought Queen Latifah was the queen of rap.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

sOOIc.gif

kyored

ZTKBN.gif

LQX

I really hating even glimpsing Niki Manaj. She looks so stupid and ridiculous with that obviously fake ass which I cant comprehend anyone finding attractive being that it looks so odd.

Cipherr

I'm sorry, but manufactured artists shouldn't be judges of talent.

Im pretty sure Mariah Carey actually has some talent though. Doesn't she write a respectable share of her own music? I can actually respect seeing as most R&B artists are singing songs written all by someone else, over chords and beats produced by someone else. At least Mariah has contributed a bit more to her own success than most.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Not true. A trained ear can hear nuances that the average person might not be aware of. I'm sure there's a lot of folks out there who think Katy Perry is a great singer.

To play devil's advocate, American Idol contestents aren't competing for the attention of trained ears. They're trying to be pop stars.

Samara

Really? I guess the others can judge talent/singing abilities, but I doubt Nicki will add anything.

Eh, anything to add starpower I guess. I mean they have Britney on that other show haha

Im pretty sure Mariah Carey actually has some talent though. Doesn't she write a respectable share of her own music? I can actually respect seeing as most R&B artists are singing songs written all by someone else, over chords and beats produced by someone else. At least Mariah has contributed a bit more to her own success than most.
She has more talent in her little toe than any other (still active) pop singer I know except for Leona Lewis or Beyonce.

It sounds like the showrunners have no fucking idea how to get this bird off the ground again and are going at it all scattershot. It is truly hilarious.

Is it just me or is Mariah Carey hella tall.
She's 5'9'' and has been known to wear ridiculously tall heels, so she's probably over 6 feet tall in that photo.

And it's just as well that her legs have been honored with a 20 foot tall replica.

GILLETTE-MARIAH.jpg

Of course, standing next to Ryan Seacrest would make anyone look giant-sized.

She's 5'9'' and has been known to wear ridiculously tall heels, so she's probably over 6 feet tall in that photo.

Of course, standing next to Ryan Seacrest would make anyone look giant-sized.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how much of that was heels. The Seacrest factor doesn't help :lol

Mumei

I think Minaj is a decent rapper?

Not seeing the problem the here.

How about now?

Not true. A trained ear can hear nuances that the average person might not be aware of. I'm sure there's a lot of folks out there who think Katy Perry is a great singer.

There are. There certainly are. Isn't that right, royalan?

She wrote or co-wrote everything besides the covers and a couple one-offs (e.g. the duet with Whitney) and has had production credits since her first album. Granted I don't think she literally writes the composition of her songs, but she's still intimately involved in that process and has been since the beginning of her career.

Or see Leona's post.

Now let's get to talking about how awful Nicki Minaj is.

In that Starships video I thought her face had been photoshopped. It looked as exagerated as Gaga's eyes in Bad Romance but after seeing pics of her on red carpets I realized thats her actual face. It was a chilling revelation.

Cipherr

She has more talent in her little toe than any other (still active) pop singer I know except for Leona Lewis or Beyonce.

How about now?

There are. There certainly are. Isn't that right, royalan?

She wrote or co-wrote everything besides the covers and a couple one-offs (e.g. the duet with Whitney) and has had production credits since her first album. Granted I don't think she literally writes the composition of her songs, but she's still intimately involved in that process and has been since the beginning of her career.

Or see Leona's post.

Now let's get to talking about how awful Nicki Minaj is.

Ah. I figured as much but I didn't want to double down on it because I wasn't completely sure. But yeah, considering all that, I dont agree at all with labeling Mariah as talentless. She has earned her position and successes as far as I'm concerned.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So basically we have:

Randy: still straight up dawg time
Urban: Idol has a lot of fucking country singers. Makes sense they get a country judge, though mediocre.
Mariah: Same with Urban, but for pop.
Minaj: lol wtf were you thinking.

holy shit no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom