• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Weapons have 2 empty listings underneath the presumed combo count.

I wonder if that means we can unlock more moves with them or if those spaces are for weapon augmentations or something similar.

Zomba13

For people who are playing the demo right now: Does this game seem to be a Platinum action game or is it more of an action-RPG? I haven't played the original NieR, but my understanding was that it was an RPG.

100% Platinum feeling. Nier was an action RPG but fairly clunky, this is buttery smooth and has Platinum all over it. There seems to be RPG elements too like different weapons, crafting/upgrades, quests, levelling up. All stuff that was in the first game but not really in the demo. Demo is full combat and full Platinum action.

jonjonaug

I'm not used to a Yoko Taro game looking this smooth or fun to play, it's weird as hell.

If 2B's skirt happens to flick up briefly during an awesome combo, that's one thing. Being able to deliberately angle the camera so you can look up her skirt is, well, disgusting.

Nobody likes censorship, but stuff like this needs to stop.

Does she even have genitalia?

For people who are playing the demo right now: Does this game seem to be a Platinum action game or is it more of an action-RPG? I haven't played the original NieR, but my understanding was that it was an RPG.

Platinum action game. There is level up system but I'm not even sure if it has any use in this demo.

Tohsaka

Lol these dudes with the panties gifs are gonna be so mad when the game gets censored.

Omg wtf why -- our freedoms; why are we being persecuted!?

Hmm... I wonder.

SE already said the western version would be the same as the Japanese version, and it's rated M anyway.

If 2B's skirt happens to flick up briefly during an awesome combo, that's one thing. Being able to deliberately angle the camera so you can look up her skirt is, well, disgusting.

It's your choice.

well that's not true at all. the enterprising folks over at sega figured out a great workaround for that problem.

8qgWx4Wl.png

i fail to see why platinum games couldn't incorporate the same feature into nier automatica
It would make absolutely no sense to get that kind of screen in a high-velocity action game.
Boss★Moogle;227014965 said:
No offense OP but it's kind of clickbait-y to not put "on Japanese PSN" in the title in cases like these.
Boohoo. Make a JPN account. Problem solved, no longer "clickbait-y."

The original Nier played exactly like this, just worse. The RPG elements were extremely light, basically limited to the occasional got a 'Level Up' message and some items you could equip to your weapons that would give you like a 3% attack power buff; there was no allocating stat points or party management or anything. Automata is basically the same thing, just better in every way.

Just to clarify, this is the ESRB summary. If this sounds gross to you, just cancel your preorder already.

This is an action game in which players assume the role of androids attempting to save Earth from extraterrestrial machines. Players use swords, spears, lances, and lasers to destroy enemy robots in melee-style combat. Large explosions and realistic gunfire are frequently heard during combat. Some sequences depict blood and additional acts of violence against human-like characters: a man impaled through the chest with a sword, resulting in large blood-splatter effects; character lying in pools of blood after getting stabbed. Some characters wear revealing outfits with partially exposed buttocks; one male character is depicted nude (without genitalia). The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the dialogue.

Alucrid

Banned
It would make absolutely no sense to get that kind of screen in a high-velocity action game.

Boohoo. Make a JPN account. Problem solved, no longer "clickbait-y."

the game wouldn't continue while on that screen, obviously. it would simply wait until you correct your camera angle before letting you proceed

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I'd like a character like this to one day kick or slash at the camera and knock it down if you angle it in certain ways, forcing it to reset in a different place. Overall, I don't really care since my camera will never go there, but I just feel like it'd be a good characterization for a character who wears revealing or short clothing but isn't inviting you to look under their skirt.

Platinum action game. There is level up system but I'm not even sure if it has any use in this demo.

Thanks!

The original Nier played exactly like this, just worse. The RPG elements were extremely light, basically limited to the occasional got a 'Level Up' message and some items you could equip to your weapons that would give you like a 3% attack power buff; there was no allocating stat points or party management or anything. Automata is basically the same thing, just better in every way.

Oh, I had no idea. Thank you for that description.

Zomba13

well that's not true at all. the enterprising folks over at sega figured out a great workaround for that problem.

8qgWx4Wl.png

i fail to see why platinum games couldn't incorporate the same feature into nier automatica

Well then it'd happen at random times during combat because the detection would pick up even if you wouldn't notice the panties yourself (because you know, you'd be focussing on dodging and combos and the like). Also, if you don't want to see panty shots, don't angle the camera under her when going up a ladder or standing around.

Like, I'm sure you don't go looking up women's skirts when outside even though if they were doing flips and shit or climbing a ladder you could see their underwear. Just pretend she is a real woman and you want to be polite and not shove your head up her skirt :)

Action RPG, just a really smooth one.

This game does not have the depth of Bayonetta, DMC, etc. but it does feel really good.

Raptor

What needs to stop? People watching some perfectly modeled ass?

We aint in the 60s anymore.

the game wouldn't continue while on that screen, obviously. it would simply wait until you correct your camera angle before letting you proceed
Why would a developer even bother to design such a character if they're going to have to neuter their game in the process?

Almond

Can't wait to play this tomorrow since it's probably not going up in the US within the next hour. And I'm too lazy to make another account.

Everything looks amazing so far.

I am surprised that you guys haven't realized that you're being trolled right now.

I noticed that during the
mech part you can't hit the goliath with your melee attacks due to the range until you get one of its arms.

I wonder if we will be able to use that unit in a more freeform manner at some point.

Again, in a high velocity action game, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Sure if you did something like crinale did in this post:

NSFW

Edit: Okay so you have to click them to see (again NSFW).

You could implement a blocked scene screen for stationary creeping. I don't really care if that's there or not, but whatever, you could do it. I don't see how you implement that outside of stationary perving though and how you could get a game to determine what is just normal gameplay and what is intentional perving.
There you go.

kewlmyc

Boss★Moogle;227014965 said:
No offense OP but it's kind of clickbait-y to not put "on Japanese PSN" in the title in cases like these.

It's assumed that western PSN is getting it sometime today.

Mailbox

Just finished the demo.

I'm willing to give the character design a pass for 2 reasons. I love the design of it since its very unique and yet striking and I feel like the sexual aspect (the white unitard underneath) isn't ever a focus to the camera or to scenes. I mean, the slit in the skirt is definitely weird and there to make the unitard more visible, but yeah. Basically what I'm saying is that I thought of 2b as being a more "badass" character than a "sexy" character (oddly enough similar to how I feel about Kaine(though their personalities are super different)).

Either way, I fell in love with this demo. I'm debating on getting for ps4 or pc, but I think I'll get it for ps4. I need more games for the systems and I feel more at home while gaming on a console than on a pc.

And Idk why people (person? people complaining.) are calling for censorship. Have they never seen Neir? or Drakengard 3? 2B is pretty scaled back and way less egregious than in those games.

So your saying that game designers should limit camera movement or something? Your okay with the "accidental" panty shot through combat, but not when the player has to deliberately move the camera to see one? I'm confused...

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Isnt this on the player, not the game (unlike bayonetta's thing where it forced that angle)
You dont need stuff like this to stop, you need it to happen to the other sex more often and get people desensitized to the damn stuff already (just to make clear I AM NOT ENDORSING POSTING THIS STUFF ON GAF... its against the rules)

No, I think it is on the developers. It's clearly a deliberate choice to have 2B wearing revealing underwear. There's no reason she couldn't be wearing stocking under her skirt.

So your saying that game designers should limit camera movement or something? Your okay with the "accidental" panty shot through combat, but not when the player has to deliberately move the camera to see one? I'm confused...

No, the camera movement isn't the issue. Its having 2B wearing the revealing underwear. This doesn't add anything meaningful to game, its just there so people can have a perv.

Top Bottom