• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Player controlled objectifying camera angles aside, I was pleasantly surprised that there weren't really any objectifying camera angles on 2B in the cinematics, let alone when she was injured, etc. In comparison, Nier (the game, not the character) was quite happy to stick the camera right in Kaine's ass at any given opportunity, including if she was injured. Automata's treatment of 2B is a little bit more like Platinum's treatment of Bayonetta, where the camera never objectifies Bayonetta unless she is aware of it.

Ha, that's awesome.

Still counts!
I think there's actually a subtitle that says "This audio has been deemed inappropriate for human consumption" as well. Anyways, it's a cutscene, so that's kind of exactly what I meant. It's easy to clamp down on perving or violent content in cutscenes or sections without enemies, but harder to do in actual gameplay. Especially with the way Yoshida designs characters.

I am so confused in terms of story and setting compared to the original and I couldn't be happier about that. The game feels wonderful, I have a hunch this might be the thing that makes Yoko Toro a well known name among mainstream circles. Very subtle sounds from the original soundtrack were thrown in the game too, you have to have an ear for it but it's a great way to just make the thing feel... Nier for lack of a better word.

Mailbox

I am so confused in terms of story and setting compared to the original and I couldn't be happier about that. The game feels wonderful, I have a hunch this might be the thing that makes Yoko Toro a well known name among mainstream circles. Very subtle sounds from the original soundtrack were thrown in the game too, you have to have an ear for it but it's a great way to just make the thing feel... Nier for lack of a better word.

As many have alluded to, this really and truly feels like a polished Nier with a sizable budget. And that's fucking amazing that I can even say that.

Jiraiza

H6CRPvp.gif

Gotta love the number ways you can die. But seriously, beware of falling objects.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
2B bum exposure is a non-issue since you don't even play as her for the entire game. Demo ending confirmed it!!

B-blocked... n-noo...

Unblocked! I literally blocked everyone El_Sloth retweeted for like 2 days and I don't remember why : ^ )

sensui-tomo

They did a great job of differentiating Drakengard's music from Nier's. Drakengard is more chaotic, Nier is hauntingly beautiful, though even D3 has moments of levity.

D3's OST isn't nearly as good as Nier's, but damn does it have its moments.

I just like Emi Evan's voice for the music. Drakengard did have good music, but Nier was on a different level. Hell how do you do 4 different versions of Ashes of Dreams.

Just played through it. Some thoughts:

- This is definitely more of an ARPG, though there is a coat of Platinum all over it (not a very thick coat though, since there's not a lot in terms of deeper mechanics aside from being able to extend combos via weapon switching). Feels nice at its core, though I think I need a little bit more time to get used to the bullet hell segments.
- I wish we would have had access to more weapon combinations than what we got in the demo. For example, I would have really liked to try out two small swords since I like how quick the small swords are.
- Boss was definitely a Platinum style boss. Very enjoyable fight.
- Soundtrack is great so far but I need to hear more of it.
- In general, I would have liked some more things to do in the demo, but I can live.

One of the musical tracks reminds me of the original Ghost in the Shell OST, which is fitting.

As many have alluded to, this really and truly feels like a polished Nier with a sizable budget. And that's fucking amazing that I can even say that.

Thank you Square, Platinum, and Takahisa Taura for this gift.

GeXgr.gif

Jiraiza

You died from the first shot, actually. I took plenty of those while closing in to them, it'll hit you before you even see the actual bullet. Kinda annoying.

They're falling objects, though. Honestly wasn't expecting them to shoot right after they landed.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just played through it. Some thoughts:

- This is definitely more of an ARPG, though there is a coat of Platinum all over it (not a very thick coat though, since there's not a lot in terms of deeper mechanics aside from being able to extend combos via weapon switching). Feels nice at its core, though I think I need a little bit more time to get used to the bullet hell segments.
- I wish we would have had access to more weapon combinations than what we got in the demo. For example, I would have really liked to try out two small swords since I like how quick the small swords are.
- Boss was definitely a Platinum style boss. Very enjoyable fight.
- Soundtrack is great so far but I need to hear more of it.
- In general, I would have liked some more things to do in the demo, but I can live.

TOO Platinum IMO.

Wasn't it basically the last boss from MGR? You even kill it with its own arm.

Top Bottom