• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Coming up next: a NG+ where
you can hear those robots. They're just trying to defend themselves and you're the monster

If Yoko is known for anything it's new game plus.... and if platinum is known for anything it's super replayable games. So if I do the math we are looking at a... holy shit situation.

PKrockin

Gee I forgot there was a new Nier game coming out, I don't know anything about it but I wonder what GAF thinks of the demo [clicks thread]

bLO8366.gif
WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON IN HERE HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS FUCKING AMAZING I THOUGHT NIER WAS A SLOW RPG OR SOMETHING WHY DIDN'T ANYONE INVITE ME TO THIS PARTY

Pooya

They should have outsourced FFXV combat to platinum. Awkward camera facing the wrong direction half of the time, combat looking like your party is just ganging up on an enemy and bashing it while everyone clips through each other, a hot mess.

This game feels and looks so slick.

I really dig the minimalist HUD too. So clean.

cheez124

this game looks like a lot of fun, interested in trying out the demo. the only platinum game i've played is MGR, though. it seems like this is similar, but open world and with RPG elements? i also didn't play the first nier, but it seems like this one isn't too connected to it

Man, if they really do pull a MGS2 with 2B and 9S.

I could see that actually happening considering who is directing this game.
Eh, I doubt it. It would be too obvious that Yoko Taro copied Kojima and it would be pointless considering 2B and 9S aren't known unlike Snake.

It's likely going to be that we will be playing as different copies of them.

Dio

Banned
this game looks like a lot of fun, interested in trying out the demo. the only platinum game i've played is MGR, though. it seems like this is similar, but open world and with RPG elements? i also didn't play the first nier, but it seems like this one isn't too connected to it

It's open world the same way a 3D Zelda game like OoT or Majora's Mask is 'open world'.

It has RPG elements like sidequests, NPCs, levels, items and dungeon-esque areas.

Hey guys what is this game similar too? Never played it.

The original Nier was generally a Zelda-like action RPG but with a bunch of mixed genres in like text adventure, Diablo-style Isometric, shmup, et cetera. It looks like this is in the same vein but with Platinum combat.

To those upset by the letterboxing, you get used to it I promise. Your eyes adjust, and you end up getting a better presented picture with subtitles really sticking out. You really get the best of both worlds, it just takes a bit before you get used to it. (I am referring to cutscenes, the game is a solid 60)

Does the demo have Pro support?

Yes, you get some extra motion blur and some slightly better graphics overall.

Hey guys what is this game similar too? Never played it.

The original was sort of like zelda, but with so many ideas that were all it's own it's hard to really compare it directly to anything.

Coming up next: a NG+ where
you can hear those robots. They're just trying to defend themselves and you're the monster

Yep, Nier scarred me.

Nier's NG+ was traumatic, mother of god.
A robot translating NG+ chip was my first thought when the robots started speaking, though Taro may not play the same trick twice. I guess the minds of some gestalts or replicants could have been shoved into robots or something to survive.

LotusHD

Banned
My only teeny, tiny complaint with this demo is that they didn't include that timed attack mode they livestreamed multiple times. Would've been nice to just go straight to killing a bunch of robots, and using that to improve your skills as we wait for the game to come out.

Oh well, I'd much, much rather have this than nothing at all lol

To those upset by the letterboxing, you get used to it I promise. Your eyes adjust, and you end up getting a better presented picture with subtitles really sticking out. You really get the best of both worlds, it just takes a bit before you get used to it.

wait a sec, there's letterboxing like The Evil Within at launch? wtf, why? does it even run at 60fps?

Folstern

Holy fuck. Downloading the demo for sure and from the looks of that gameplay I'm going down on a day one purchase. Also, my favorite artist, Akihiko Yoshida, can do no wrong.

Coreda

wait a sec, there's letterboxing like The Evil Within at launch? wtf, why? does it even run at 60fps?

Guessing it's for the regular PS4 which has a non-1080p res unlike the Pro.

Edit: apparently that's not what people are referring to. What then is the letterboxing from the various GIFs we've seen in this thread?

Nier's NG+ was traumatic, mother of god.
A robot translating NG+ chip was my first thought when the robots started speaking, though Taro may not play the same trick twice. I guess the minds of some gestalts or replicants could have been shoved into robots or something to survive.

Too easy, I'm guessing the humans are already dead so the androids are working for a group that doesn't exist. The robots themselves have something to do with Emil, I don't know what. I'm dieing to know if he's grown into an adult character wise. Part of the drama (and I am only guessing) is that you are robots killing robots. So it might be a "it was all for nothing" kinda deal. Even then that's very close to the original and if Yoko can do anything it's play with expectations.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wow. This demo was pretty amazing. I never played the first but I will definitely be picking up a copy of this. I wish the dodge/roll would be mapped to either L1 or L2, but perhaps I haven't gotten the full feel of the controls yet.

Dio

Banned
Wow. This demo was pretty amazing. I never played the first but I will definitely be picking up a copy of this. I wish the dodge/roll would be mapped to either L1 or L2, but perhaps I haven't gotten the full feel of the controls yet.

You can map anything to any button. Go into settings.

Zomba13

It's a stylistic thing used in custcenes. It's not traditional letter-boxing but semi-transparent. It isn't a big deal at all and just a unique stylistic choice.

There are three different preset control options, or you can fully remap your controls manually if you want.

EMan

The demo was amazing. The amazing soundtrack plus the fast and fluid gameplay really makes me want to olay this game even more. Plus the last sequence in the demo was so fun to play.

convo

They made the resolution and motion blur sacrifice for base PS4s. But i've made my peace with that, at least Duckroll will get his PC version sometime.

I was wondering why Lock on wasn't working, apparently its not available in hard mode?

Yeah, it's a weird decision to restrict lock-on to the easier difficulties, but honestly it's not really as vital in this game as it is in, say, DMC. The soft-lock is perfectly competent, and there aren't any attacks with directional inputs as far as I know.

Caim

Took out the chip that pretty much instakills you, but it just sends you back to the title screen. I can see that being used for at least something in the future. Probably an ending.

Everything is so smooth. Just two more months...

I figured the lock-on going away on hard is for how focused ranged combat is in the game, and perhaps the developers thought the lock on was a handicap of sorts. Though perhaps restricting shooting when lock-on is on could have worked as well, so it could only help with melee and still have the added ranged difficulty.

For me honestly, we have the option to zoom the camera out far when in combat and the soft lock works fine in this battle system so I'm well over it.

Top Bottom