• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Head.spawn

I can't believe I was sleepin on this game.

I think we have a win on our hands.

How do I get this demo if it's for Japanese members?

Make a Japanese account or wait 6 hours for it to launch on the NA Store.

Game is fully in English from the Japanese PlayStation Store btw.

I don't understand WTF is happening with the story stuff, not even remotely. That's what I get for not playing NieR or Drakengard ever. I guess that'd be my only complaint but whatever. Game is too good for me to care too much.

RiverKwai

Watched Mike Damiani from EZA stream it tonight. That shit is amazeballz.
Changes from 3d to 2d side scroller to top down shooter based on environment. Super impressive looking movement. Appears 60fps.

Combat looks simplified from Bayo. Might just be early game.

No idea what's happening lore or story wise.

I don't understand WTF is happening with the story stuff, not even remotely. That's what I get for not playing NieR or Drakengard ever. I guess that'd be my only complaint but whatever. Game is too good for me to care too much.

To be fair, I'm fairly well-versed in the Taro-Yoko-verse, and the only thing I got from this demo's story was "two robots go to kill a big robot, then everything blows up. The end... or is it...?"

I imagine it'll make more sense in the full game :p

Razmos

Watched Mike Damiani from EZA stream it tonight. That shit is amazeballz.
Changes from 3d to 2d side scroller to top down shooter based on environment. Super impressive looking movement. Appears 60fps.

Combat looks simplified from Bayo. Might just be early game.

No idea what's happening lore or story wise.
It isn't a character action game like Bayonetta, it's more of semi-open world action RPG, so the combat mechanics were never going to be as deep as Bayonetta.

Some ps4 pro screens. Very excited for this game and the demo was just icing on the cake. Love her outfit. Play it if you're still on the fence guys

nier_automatademo1201r5u03.png

nier_automatademo1201l8uq7.png

nier_automatademo1201nguf7.png

nier_automatademo1201k9usd.png

nier_automatademo1201lhuum.png

crinale

I understand and I want them to have brief summary of the canon storyline like Yakuza does. However nowdays you can just go to internet and see the story of Drakengard series so I wonder if they bother..

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

You should check out the Draknegard walkthroughs by Dark ID. They are he-larious and basically takes you through the game and everything super weird about them. Kind of novel like reads because these are long games, but I recommend them. Especially over playing the actual games (except for maybe the original Nier)

To be fair, I'm fairly well-versed in the Taro-Yoko-verse, and the only thing I got from this demo's story was "two robots go to kill a big robot, then everything blows up. The end... or is it...?"
I imagine it'll make more sense in the full game :p

Oh believe me, if you had you would be even more confused. The fans of this series don't have a clue what the hell this game is.
Well it's good to know that more versed people are still WTF-ing with me!
You should check out the Draknegard walkthroughs by Dark ID. They are he-larious and basically takes you through the game and everything super weird about them. Kind of novel like reads because these are long games, but I recommend them. Especially over playing the actual games (except for maybe the original Nier)
I'll read this for sure! Thanks.

Slater

Banned
Well it's good to know that more versed people are still WTF-ing with me!

I'll read this for sure! Thanks.

That's always how Taro roles, Drakengard 3 is the same way, being of fan of his doesn't guarantee understanding anything in his next game till you beat it multiple times

Yeah, I love this guy's walkthroughs. I played Nier for myself, but the rest of the games in the 'series' I just read his LPs and found it a much more enjoyable experience :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Dont worry. Yoko has said you dont need to play other games to get it. And apparently that was their goal from the start.

Cartho

Do we know if this is coming to EU PSN?

Also, I've never played a platinum game before (BLASPHEMY I know), are they similar to Souls in terms of difficulty? Stuff like having to fight trash mobs again on the way to a boss if you die, losing all exp when you die, that kind of stuff? Or are they abit more checkpointed but with difficult combat? This does look really good.

Monocle

Gee I forgot there was a new Nier game coming out, I don't know anything about it but I wonder what GAF thinks of the demo [clicks thread]

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON IN HERE HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS FUCKING AMAZING I THOUGHT NIER WAS A SLOW RPG OR SOMETHING WHY DIDN'T ANYONE INVITE ME TO THIS PARTY
The Platinum effect.

Alucrid

Banned

Also, I've never played a platinum game before (BLASPHEMY I know), are they similar to Souls in terms of difficulty? Stuff like having to fight trash mobs again on the way to a boss if you die, losing all exp when you die, that kind of stuff? Or are they abit more checkpointed but with difficult combat? This does look really good.

they're character action games. like devil may cry

RiverKwai

It isn't a character action game like Bayonetta, it's more of semi-open world action RPG, so the combat mechanics were never going to be as deep as Bayonetta.

Not complaining, just an observation from someone who knows absolutely nothing about Nier. Not expecting Bayo level combat. Just using it as a benchmark.

Jiraiza

This game does make for some cool GIFs.

I'm hoping the engine gives you more freedom to do similarly fancy or fancier stuff like this through weapon switching mid-combo. Been experimenting though I have some crappy finger coordination, so it's kind of rough.

They're certainly challenging, but there's no permadeath stuff in Platinum games; they're well checkpointed and you never lose anything. Think Devil May Cry.

Cartho

They're certainly challenging, but there's no permadeath stuff in Platinum games; they're well checkpointed and you never lose anything. Think Devil May Cry.

Sounds like my cup of tea then! I liked Souls games for their combat systems but lots of the permadeath stuff, losing exp, having to refight enemies before hard bosses over and over etc kinda annoyed me.

Will definitely check this out.

Mendrox

Demo released...now I am hyped for the next NieR. :D Downloading it and I am going in completely fresh since I've only seen the first trailer.

platina

lol I wonder how much this costume bullshit will influence anything when the gameplay is this good. You see an awesome ass in a stylistic game, so what? There's no nudity. I can see people cancelling and then having second thoughts when they hear all the impressions and just cave in :p Based platinum keep doing what you do best.

silva1991

I will play it in few minutes.

I have seen this outside of GAF(I know it's probably in this thread somewhere haha)

eaCGtfE.gif

sunhilegend gif?

Hype is over the roof after seeing it

The character introduced in the new Famitsu scans looks great.

Too easy, I'm guessing the humans are already dead so the androids are working for a group that doesn't exist. The robots themselves have something to do with Emil, I don't know what. I'm dieing to know if he's grown into an adult character wise. Part of the drama (and I am only guessing) is that you are robots killing robots. So it might be a "it was all for nothing" kinda deal. Even then that's very close to the original and if Yoko can do anything it's play with expectations.

Ha, the androids working for a humanity that doesn't exist would be great, like, well, automatons. I was a bit confused after the original Nier, 'cause I thought with the Shadowlord dead, that was extinction for humans/gestalts. Then with the guidebook's release, it seemed like other segments of humanity had been successful with the gestalt/replicant project? No idea. Some kind folks on Reddit had translated something about Emil copying himself 85 million + times... then I guess there is something about aliens... machine wars... Automata is going to be a weird and wild ride!

Top Bottom