• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Ahhh, mmmmhhmmmm, this was delicious.

Now i have to get this on PS4 on launch day. Wanted to wait for steam but i can´t do it man. At least it´s running (pretty consistent i might add) 60fps so i´ll deal with it. Japan is back this gen after a bit of a rough stretch last gen. And it´s glorious.

Wvrs

Wow! I'd never even heard of this series before yesterday, other than people gushing about the first game's soundtrack. I didn't know Platinum developed it too.

So, so good, most fun I've had with a game in a really long time. What is this series about? Is it worth going back to the first?

People can finish Final Fantasy (the older oens( and Dark Souls on LVL1 playthroughs as well *shrugs*.

Level ups will make it easier for you if you don't have the skill to perfect dodge everything.

You can go in blind.

Oh, I know, not a major concern. But I always appreciated the balance of progression in traditional RPGs, where they tend to be built w/ a level-specific difficulty sweet spot, that you can game either way by under- over-leveling. With true skill-based action RPGs like this, that sort of goes out the window. Stuff like perfect-dodge counter being built in is almost like having a 0 MP super powerful nuke spell from Lv. 1 in a traditional turn-based RPG. Sure, you don't have to use it, but it's right there in your spell list, just staring at you...

LotusHD

Banned
Wow! I'd never even heard of this series before yesterday, other than people gushing about the first game's soundtrack. I didn't know Platinum developed it too.

So, so good, most fun I've had with a game in a really long time. What is this series about? Is it worth going back to the first?

From what I've heard, yes. The combat won't be anything like this, but it's a cult classic for a reason I suppose.

----

I just realized this game has a bestiary (or whatever the machine version of it is) for this game. Also for those who played the first one, what are Weapon Stories exactly?

silva1991

What are the best gifs so far?

eaCGtfE.gif

bLO8366.gif

pZTtzGG.gif

Sunhi gifs.

Just noticed that if you double jump and hold down X, 2B will hold on to the bot while descending. I wonder if that will be used in full game as glide or something you can use for more combos.

EDIT: You can do attacks while holding on to the bot, I'm just loving how much thought is put into this game.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just beat the US demo twice back to back. I really dig the fluidity of combat & animations. Muy muy caliente!

2017 is going to be a beast.

Hektor

I just realized this game has a bestiary (or whatever the machine version of it is) for this game. Also for those who played the first one, what are Weapon Stories exactly?

Little story's and poems you unlock gradually as you upgrade a weapon (Every weapon got 4 level) telling you a usually tragic stoy about how the former owner died or left his weapon.

Level 1

Juices oozing from tender, succulent flesh, the sweet aroma of fine herbs... The master cook made dishes of meat that none in the city could resist.

Level 2

Every day, customers lined up outside his inn, waiting for their chance to partake. Even the king himself would sneak down from his castle to sample the master's art.

Level 3

But once he entered his kitchen, the smiling cook's face would grow stern. The meat he used was no ordinary meat...

Level 4

The years passed, and the cook and his inn disappeared from the town. But his cleaver remains as gleaming and sharp as ever, waiting for its next master.

http://drakengard.wikia.com/wiki/Butcher's_Joy

For example.

Oh, I know, not a major concern. But I always appreciated the balance of progression in traditional RPGs, where they tend to be built w/ a level-specific difficulty sweet spot, that you can game either way by under- over-leveling. With true skill-based action RPGs like this, that sort of goes out the window. Stuff like perfect-dodge counter being built in is almost like having a 0 MP super powerful nuke spell from Lv. 1 in a traditional turn-based RPG. Sure, you don't have to use it, but it's right there in your spell list, just staring at you...

You're right with that, in that case you can see it purely as an action game. But it'd probably help those that aren't very good to make at least some things easier for them, other then using an easier difficulty.

Coda

Just pre-ordered the game digitally on the PS4. It comes with a forest theme which honestly I wish they put more effort into. It's not dynamic and doesn't have any custom SFX. I like the background image but they could've made it better. I don't understand why they couldn't put a little more effort into the theme. I currently use the Rez Infinite Area X theme and it's so amazing.

convo

First Nier has not terrible combat but the story shines in good and unique ways, for some it's too big a hurdle to get there. It can get super fucking weird though, in a not immediate way like Suda 51 but the more you play. I'd rather watch/read a playthrough since getting everything is really tedious but gets you more of the story.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Enjoyed the combat but not enough to justify paying $90 Canadian for it. Can't see it selling well so maybe I'll pick it after w significant price drop.

Kaizer

Banned
Holy Shit, was not expecting the demo to reach full mecha vs. mecha level action, if this is just a taste, the full game is going to be insane, my god!

Moonkid

Not immediately relevant to the demo, but I just noticed the game is rated R13 in my country. The disparity in age ratings is why I was surprised by the PEGI 18 in the other thread.

Xliskin

Soo...Platinum Games redeemed? Looks like they got a decent budget for this and the reception here is really good. Wish we got a PC demo :S

I think people misunderstood PG developing this game , I don't believe this game even being developed in at PG studio

Moongazer

Really nice demo. Love the music and overall it just feels very polished compared to the first game. 2B's walking animation is so slick I walked for a lot of demo rather than running through it.

ZangBa

This demo is my GotY. All I want for Christmas is for it to hurry up and be over with so I'm closer to the release date.

brawly

Really enjoyed it. Her walking animations are amazing and it's a lot of fun. I also like the 2D sections. OST gonna be godlike.

"Complaints":

- I feel like pressing R1 in 2D sections to shoot is unnecessary. Just pressing the stick would be better.
- the shooting in the boss fight kind of sucked because it was semi-locked on his upper body.
- those transparent black bars (which are different sizes...) are awful. Either go all the way or get rid of them.

fvng

Again, there's no reason to not have a JPN account and download it, especially when it has English.

Title will be accurate in a bit anyways, so whatever.

uh yeah but it still should be noted by the OP... if for no other reason to reduce confusion in the thread. It has nothing to do with whether or not someone should have a japanese psn account. I know plenty of people who have no interest in having one, i know that's hard to fathom, but it's true. It's up on NA PSN now so we're good

Setsu00

I think it's hard to describe Nier without going into spoiler territory, but you might get an idea of what the game is about by knowing that Nier was heavily inspired by 9/11 and the possible motivations behind such an incident.

It was already pointed out that Nier got its status as a cult classic mostly due to the fact that the music is amazing and that it has a unique story, but it's also the most playable Yoko Taro game in comparison to his other currently released games.

ironcreed

Banned
Just beat the demo and love it to pieces. Platinum and the Nier/Drakengard universe is a match made in heaven. It brings the kind of fluid and beautiful gameplay that Nier or Drakengard never had.

Little story's and poems you unlock gradually as you upgrade a weapon (Every weapon got 4 level) telling you a usually tragic stoy about how the former owner died or left his weapon.

Level 1

Juices oozing from tender, succulent flesh, the sweet aroma of fine herbs... The master cook made dishes of meat that none in the city could resist.

Level 2

Every day, customers lined up outside his inn, waiting for their chance to partake. Even the king himself would sneak down from his castle to sample the master's art.

Level 3

But once he entered his kitchen, the smiling cook's face would grow stern. The meat he used was no ordinary meat...

Level 4

The years passed, and the cook and his inn disappeared from the town. But his cleaver remains as gleaming and sharp as ever, waiting for its next master.

http://drakengard.wikia.com/wiki/Butcher's_Joy

For example.

You're right with that, in that case you can see it purely as an action game. But it'd probably help those that aren't very good to make at least some things easier for them, other then using an easier difficulty.

I love Drakengard and Nier's weapon stories! Makes finding new weapons and leveling them up really engaging.

Re leveling v skill, good point. It's weird for me to think of leveling as a sort of built-in "easy mode" for an action game, but, of course, it's always functioned that way to an extent!

Dyna

I'm unfamiliar with Nier, but I tested this demo and I have sort of mixed feelings about it. I did like the gameplay itself quite a lot and how smoothly the game plays over all but the enemies and the scenery looked so freaking dull in my opinion. Also not a fan of the top-down perspective parts. I don't know, could be just me but this demo sort of killed my interest for the game, at least for now.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So... this sold me.

I ordered NieR (PS3) always wanted to play it and some Drakengard game (Amazon suggestion) which iirc reviewed and ran poorly (whatever it was cheap) and hopefully I can get through at least NieR before this lands.

Pretty excited.

Top Bottom