• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Kyoufu

Nier: Automata too, is designed for people of all skill ranges to play.

My point is a mainline Final Fantasy is never going to be designed from the get go with this kind of combat. That goes for Kingdom Hearts and even Elder Scrolls as well. They'll always favour a game that's easy to play over deep action mechanics.

Raptor

Hopefully there is a outfit with only the leotard.

I dont want to stay moving the camera to see dat ass.

Lmao

You guys are insane.

Xliskin

The games are directly comparable.

Case in point the battle with the giant robot VS the Leviathan & Titan battles in FFXV!!

Both games had the same goals with these large scale battles.Its clear who failed miserably here.

You cant tell me they're not comparable.

It failed with the gigantic fights because of the camera you can not see what he's doing not the combat , the combat is fine even good if you unlock more abilities

If you use the triangle attack, it fires a beam. Not much extra but adds variety to the mech. you can also use the Square melee to break the missiles before they hit you instead of dodging

Meh , I really hope there missions make use of the jet mode

True Fire

The games are directly comparable.

Case in point the battle with the giant robot VS the Leviathan & Titan battles in FFXV!!

Both games had the same goals with these large scale battles.Its clear who failed miserably here.

You cant tell me they're not comparable.

FFXV has three decades of baggage and millions of whiny fans Tabata needed to impress tho. He did the best that he could with the scraps Nomura left. I imagine most of Automata's players will be Platinum transplants who don't care about the original NieR and are getting exactly what they want from Platinum. The circumstances are pretty different.

LowParry

Going through it twice, normal then hard, it's pretty fun. Boring fun is that makes sense. The full game should be good for the combat. Music was alright. It fits the tone of the game. Story? No idea. Could be a mess. Could be great.

Edit: Oh and please. The less large boss fights, the better. What a snore fest that was in the demo.

How do you get the music to play when you drop down to see the Nier Automata demo overview on the ps4 main menu? I want to hear the song :p

The game is awesome, wow! I also love the soundtrack. I have this game on my radar now. If the game is at least 10 hours long or more i will get it day one.

Finalow

My first ever experience with a NieR game. Amazing gameplay...i'm sold.
you should definitely give the first game a try before this one comes out. the gameplay isn't great but everything else is, and while I think it's not necessary to play that game in order to enjoy this sequel, you should just do it regardless.

Yea not a big fan, the unnecessary upskirt shots are really off-putting, I cringed at the line "emotions are prohibited." and wasn't sure if I was supposed to care about what was happening to this due this character's just met.
yeah, I was expecting full immersion and plenty of character development from a 1 hour long demo but alas, that didn't happen.
oh well. I guess they still have time before the release
/s

Hektor

My point is a mainline Final Fantasy is never going to be designed from the get go with this kind of combat. That goes for Kingdom Hearts and even Elder Scrolls as well. They'll always favour a game that's easy to play over deep action mechanics.

But Nier: Automata is hella easy to play. You get a dodge button, two attack buttons and two abilties, that's all you need in order to play it.

If you want it to be deep and challenging, Hard and Very Hard difficulties and deeper mechanics and combos are there for you to use, but at its basic core, it's not anymore complex than KH on lower difficulties or God of War.

I mean, the devs literally said they're gonna put in an auto-play mode in which the game does the combat for you to make it as accessible as possible to the lower end.

NastyBook

QIrG872.gif
Gonna need the option to change her hair to red and fulfill my dreams of kicking ass as R. Dorothy Wayneright, Platinum.

Awesome demo! Music is great. Combat is great. Animations are superb. Really liking 2B and 9S. That boss fight was really cool. Can't wait for the final product! Definitely getting the PC version.

The story really isn't great, I'd even call it amateur in some aspects. What makes it shine is the execution of what's there.

Are you just talking about the demo? I mean... it's a demo. Those are usually designed to be a showcase of gameplay. Not sure what people are expecting in terms of story for a 30-60 minute demo here.

I expect that we'll get some good Yoko Taro mindfuckery in the final game.

Cubas

I loved the combat and the soundtrack, but the enemy design is so dull. I hope there's a bit more variety in the final game.

I actually quite like the characterization in the demo. 9S's openness is contrasted nicely with 2B's stoicism (which then changes as push comes to shove). His role as a scanner support also lends him a bit of a curious side to how the world previously was but not specifically how the robots who inhabited the world were. Oddly, as it stands I think I like him more than 2B, though 2B is a total badass.

It could be a good story or not, but I'm confident that the characterization will likely be of the same quality as seen in the original Nier.

silva1991

Nothing is deep about Nier Automata combat though. It's just fun as hell, fluid and feels so good.

It's even easier than early KH content at least based on the demo :p

Johndoey

Banned
Loved the demo, very excited for the full game, but goddamn I need an alternative to 2B's default out fit it's way too much. I like "ehh" when I thought it was a normal dress then I saw the slits and went full "nah breh".

Coda

Nothing is deep about Nier Automata combat though. It's just fun as hell, fluid and feels so good.

I'm sure it gets deeper the more you progress through the game (finding new weapons, upgrading skills, etc.).

Kyoufu

Maybe you're right, but I'll wait and see what the full game contains. I'm expecting far more complexities in encounter design, weapon and skill upgrades than what the demo contains, but yeah, you might be right.

Hektor

It's definitely 'in Pro mode' because the fan on my Pro makes an annoying noise when Pro mode is enabled. But what it's doing differently I don't know. Silky smooth 60fps though and very clean image.

Not sure about the demo but the release version will have

• Better Shadows
  • Better Lightning
  • 1080p (as opposed to the base 900p)
  • Motion Blur

It's definitely 'in Pro mode' because the fan on my Pro makes an annoying noise when Pro mode is enabled. But what it's doing differently I don't know. Silky smooth 60fps though and very clean image.
I remember they were supposedly increasing the shadow quality and adding motion blur to the characters' movement.

Edit: Beaten ^

cLOUDo

Just finished, day fricking one!

Thing I don't like
- too much "shooting" parts
- that semi transparent bars in the cut scenes
- the lock in is annoying, kinda difficult to use

Thing I like
- everything else!

Good work Platinum Games

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Just reached the boss and then turned it off, deleted it. Didn't want to spoil anymore of it or play it a second time. Game plays like a dream. Man this and Gravity Rush 2 demo made my day, I'm just so happy these two actually play well unlike my latest two disappointments.

Now off to listen to Ashes of Dreams.

This combat isn't deep lol, it's just good gameplay with polish this time .

Gin-Shiio

∀ Narayan;227053002 said:
Are you just talking about the demo? I mean... it's a demo. Those are usually designed to be a showcase of gameplay. Not sure what people are expecting in terms of story for a 30-60 minute demo here.

I expect that we'll get some good Yoko Taro mindfuckery in the final game.
Probably not less controversial, but I was talking about the first Nier.

silva1991

To be clear, just because I don't think the combat is complex doesn't mean I criticize it.

I even like Metal Gear Rising way more than DMC3/4 even though it's not 1/10 as complex as them.

The combat in Nier Automata is good and fun and that what maters.

More weapons and magic should make it even better in the final game.

Moonkid

I always end up resorting to mashing the buttons in combos *hangs head in shame* Also how does changing your weapon work? Is it just a one-way cycle or can you choose whether to from Set 1 - Weapon 1 to Set 1 Weapon 2/Set 2 Weapon 1/Set 2 Weapon 2. Or does it not make a difference?

bebop242

LOVE it. Wondering how the RPG elements are going to work but the gameplay is sublime. Also hoping for more enemy variety. Nevertheless DAY ONE. This world needs more games like this.

Ricker

Okay graphically I was a little underwhelmed and whats with those uneven paler bars on the top and bottom during the cut scenes...looks awful IMHO...everything else though was pretty good,day one.

Jiraiza

I always end up resorting to mashing the buttons in combos *hangs head in shame* Also how does changing your weapon work? Is it just a one-way cycle or can you choose whether to from Set 1 - Weapon 1 to Set 1 Weapon 2/Set 2 Weapon 1/Set 2 Weapon 2. Or does it not make a difference?

You get two weapon sets, each set having a hand for light, and another hand for heavy. You can switch between the two freely, but you won't always be able to connect attacks from one set to the other. But there are some interesting things you can do, I think.

Assuming Set 1 - Small Sword/Large Sword
and Set 2 - Large Sword/Small Sword,

You can do a light combo with set 1, switch to set 2, and follow up with a light Large Sword, or heavy Small Sword. Or you can start with set 2, with an air light, switch to set 1, and do a heavy attack. etc etc

Baalzebup

... I don't actually understand bolded, but whatever.

You change the sets as a whole with the change weapon button and can customize the sets themselves from the menu. The first weapon in the set will always be for the light attacks and the second weapon will be for the heavy attacks, so the whole set is used when you have it active. The default sets just have the two blades you carry switched around in their respective slots. Each weapon type has a completely unique set of attacks for each attack type, minus the ones launched from successful dodges.
I don't understand why there's a hidden-esque option to kill yourself in the chip settings.
Yeah, that is totally Taro. It even straight up tells you that removing the chip will kill you.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The game plays real well, which I never doubted. Not why I'm excited for the game though. I need more depressing Nier storyline.

Top Bottom