• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Yoko Taro take on a FF would be very interesting. SE execs would never let him go full "yoko taro" on the series, but I would love to see what he could do with it.

Considering how much FF story sucked in the last installments, even a restrained Yoko Taro would be better than what we have now.

It would just be a Matsuno situation where the vision would be diluted, changed and Yoko would quit making games for a while :(

^Exactly. My biggest fears would be for him to turn into another Matsuno (ostracised and take years to recover over directing a FF game that he never finished making) or Hiroyuki Ito (disappear off the face off the earth).

Not that I think he's not good enough for the series but I think his themes just doesn't mesh Final Fantasy's.

I'd like him not be contrained by the expectations of main stream games and just stay as creative as possible.

If the game sells a lot like a million or two, I don't want him doing FF or DQ, I want him to stay and nurture or create another universe just with a higher budget.

His games are always budget constrained. Also Access Games. Look at what he did when he found a developer match made in heaven with sufficient funding.

I never said I wanted him to make FF that was somebody else, like I said, he's too good for that series. I'd hate for him to be constrained to such a series that has wrecked careers of amazing talent. I'd much prefer him doing his own thing for as long as possible, as he always has been. Heck, I still want to play Demons' Score for iOS/Android and Phase Paradox for PS2.

I'd love for him to do a new IP next. I'd even be happy if he did something completely different like say a survival horror game or a rail shooter or whatever he wants. He's a freaking genius in my eyes.

Slater

Banned
I would say it did have certain things to do with it, as most of the context important backstory was left in spinoff manga and DLC to lower cost of the main game, which was already super budget limited to begin with.

It did play a part, not sayin it was the whole issue.

The man has made 3 infamous stories and 1 half baked one, i don't think we should not be giving him a benefit of a doubt now

I BEAT the game Inou, Automata IS a masterpiece, my point was just that Taro only definitely means weird/quirky not automatic genius.

Its not a guarantee for everything he does, though Automata is his Magnum Opus

gow3isben

Ugh. Looks like I am going to have to guy another open world RPG. Is it really overwhelming this open world ie Witcher 3 or very reasonable like Horizon? Or better yet more "wide linear" like Mass Effect Andromeda?

Expect it to end up high 80s. Would be stoked if it stays 90s.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I BEAT the game Inou, Automata IS a masterpiece, my point was just that Taro only definitely means weird/quirky not automatic genius.

Its not a guarantee for everything he does, though Automata is his Magnum Opus

I know...i'm just sayin that he has a good track record even if a lot of the games are not well received or too out there for mainstream audiences(which i would say Drakengard in its entirety definately is despite loving the first game and tolerating the third game...hell i even enjoy the second game as a fanfiction esque work

I just take issue with the insunuation that Yoko taro has an element of fluke to him. Even industry respected leaders make pure duds. I would argue Ken Levine is one of those guys

Re: Taroverse - I just learned yesterday that Taro has an ongoing manga with 20something chapters called Thou Shall Not Die, and it may be worth checking out.

Major manga spoilers:
There's a strong possibility that it is one of the Crusades where Japan used the drug Luciferase to give young men and women superpowers to fight the Legion.

Slater

Banned
I know...i'm just sayin that he has a good track record even if a lot of the games are not well received or too out there for mainstream audiences(which i would say Drakengard in its entirety definately is despite loving the first game and tolerating the third game...hell i even enjoy the second game as a fanfiction esque work

Lol it's funny you call 2 fanfiction, I agree but Taro and his team treat it as more canon the papa Nier.

Inuhanyou

Re: Taroverse - I just learned yesterday that Taro has an ongoing manga with 20something chapters called Thou Shall Not Die, and it may be worth checking out.

Major manga spoilers:
There's a strong possibility that it is one of the Crusades where Japan used the drug Luciferase to give young men and women superpowers to fight the Legion.

Yeah i heard about it in passing but didn't dig too much, is it really set
in the age of hamelin's fight against the legion? I will check it out if that's the case

Well, as posted above he was not in charge of the development from the start.

To be fair though in one of his interviews, he talks about how he had a clear vision of Drakengard 1 and NieR and how real life events like the 9/11 affected him and his creative decisions on the games but in the case of Drakengard 3, he was rather blunt that he did not know what message he was portraying himself but he wanted the players to feel something from the game. I dunno I'm just paraphrasing but I'll try to find the vid in question.

I believe the interview was before the release of Drakengard 3.

Edit: found it! https://youtu.be/LD6xCLlF5dY

Yoko Taro wasn't the actual Director of Drakengard 3, that was Keisuke Mori, Taro was simply "Creative Director" just as he is on the upcoming mobile game SinoAlice. Nier: Automata is the first game he gets sole director credit for since the Demons' Score (Nier before that). He gave a few proposals for Drakengard 3 and they were all rejected so he was left with the final one which he made it apparent that he wasn't as into as the previous ones so I think that effected his writing a bit, plus he only came on in the Creative Director role itself later on than he would normally. He also sounded frustrated with Access Games overall.

Hektor

Yeah i heard about it in passing but didn't dig too much, is it really set
in the age of hamelin's fight against the legion? I will check it out if that's the case

Nobody knows, there are no obvious connections to Taro's other works yet tho the theory Hobo posted does have some credibility to it

Inuhanyou

Lol it's funny you call 2 fanfiction, I agree but Taro and his team treat it as more canon the papa Nier.

Well i guess if its there they can't really do much about that but side it into the fiction as a branch of ending A from D1.

Squire

Banned
I'm mostly kidding and I think we all are. I still love FF, but I certainly don't think the series is in a place where it can look down its nose at too many directors.

Yoko has a style and vision that are very distinct and FF has struggled with that in its last few major releases.

FFXIII: Tons of ideas, no execution
FFXIV 1.0: Factory-made MMO by a director that was out of his depth
FFXIV ARR: It's great! Yoshida is a good director with a vision himself!
FFXV: Tabata is a fixer. He shipped the game. There isn't much more to it. *shrug*

I'm getting off-topic here and really, I don't think Yoko would want to an FF (not a mainline one), but I do think the series would benefit from having a director that's equally as identifiable.

Milijango

Ugh. Looks like I am going to have to guy another open world RPG. Is it really overwhelming this open world ie Witcher 3 or very reasonable like Horizon? Or better yet more "wide linear" like Mass Effect Andromeda?

Expect it to end up high 80s. Would be stoked if it stays 90s.

This is not an open world game. Some say it's a bit like the first Dark Souls.

Wagram

Yoko Taro would fit in well with a Type 0 style of Final Fantasy. Obviously it would require many more layers of batshit, but that would be interesting. However, Taro needs to do what he's passionate about.

Slater

Banned
I'm mostly kidding and I think we all are. I still love FF, but I certainly don't think the series is in a place where it can look down its nose at too many directors.

Yoko has a style and vision that are very distinct and FF has struggled with that in its last few major releases.

FFXV: Tabata is a fixer. He shipped the game. There isn't much more to it. *shrug*

I'm getting off-topic here and really, I don't think Yoko would want to an FF (not a mainline one), but I do think the series would benefit from having a director that's equally as identifiable.

It's funny, Taro and Tabata speak well of each other, his team was really happy to help promote Automata in XV, there having a joint panel at Pax East and BD2's next game is said to be a new AAA IP.

Maybe they could team up, Taro handles the story and creative direction, Tabata handles the team/budget management.

It's funny, Taro and Tabata speak well of each other, his team was really happy to help promote Automata in XV, there having a joint panel at Pax East and BD2's next game is said to be a new AAA IP.

Maybe they could team up, Taro handles the story and creative direction, Tabata handles the team/budget management.

i want this

killatopak

Gold Member

Well they're probably drinking buddies as they are both alcoholics.

SkylineRKR

Wouldn't work.

Yoko Taro would be restrained and then there is nothing left as the gameplay has to be designed by someone else too. His games always had sub par gameplay. Automata plays well because PG developed the gameplay mechanics. He's at his best when he creates something insane. Nier was unveiled as a low budget piece of shit, but then it was like hey this game is actually rather brilliant. Not because of the shitty gameplay and graphics but the amazing story, twist and characters.

FF is a triple A franchise that needs to deliver from the get go, it can't get away with just a good story. I think FFXII was the direction the series should've gone into, evolve that into something with a more coherent story and more engaging gameplay. FFXIII was a huge step backwards, and FFXV should've been a side project (which it was until it was rebranded).

Inuhanyou

Who stands more to gain if this game 'succeeds'? Platinum, Yoko Taro, Keiichi Okabe, Emi Evans or SE in general?

WRONG!

The correct answer is J'nique Nicole!

Actually your right but i just wanted to throw Nicole in there cause i forgot to mention her =X

You also forgot Taura from Platinum Games. This guy has practically worked on all of my favourite PG games so far - Nier Automata, MGR, Anarchy Reigns and The Wonderful 101. He's a great game designer.

Xliskin

Tabata is a director , judge him on one game that already a mess is unfair

Slater

Banned
Tabata is a director , judge him on one game that already a mess is unfair

There are plenty of people who don't like Type 0 as well and it shares the a lot of the same core problems as XV

Though it also must be said that there are people who go out of there way to give all the Crisis Core credit to Nomura when it was Tabata who directed it so ehhh

Inuhanyou

There are plenty of people who don't like Type 0 as well and it shares the a lot of the same core problems as XV

Though it also must be said that there are people who go out of there way to give all the Crisis Core credit to Nomura when it was Tabata who directed it so ehhh

Not just Nomura, but it was heavily supervised by him and Nojima who wrote the overall script.

But yeah, i would def not take away from Tabata's capability when he made Crisis core. The issue being that his other efforts have been rather hit or miss.

I don't even know how Third birthday got greenlit in the first place

That being said, i think a lot of it had to do with team structure, so i hope that eventually he can just start from scratch and make something entirely his own with a team with lesser pressure.

SkylineRKR

Third Birthday is actually pretty good. It looked great, and as far as PSP shooters went it played well. I beat it again on Vita where it played better, shifting never got old. That script though is fucking terrible.

Xliskin

I really liked Type-0's story despite its flaws not the same with FFXV tho

Kanann

Who stands more to gain if this game 'succeeds'? Platinum, Yoko Taro, Keiichi Okabe, Emi Evans or SE in general?

Saito Yosuke

"If not hire Yoko, I'm quit, good luck finding new DQX-DQXI producer"
Yu Miyake "Woah! calm down, man"

His power is beyond SQEN division 6 now.
Imagine he is currently does super villain laughing.

Fujinn

OK I'm just gonna come out and say t. Who is Yoko Taro? What are his creative sensibilities?

InGkb2w.gif

BiggNife

OK I'm just gonna come out and say it. Who is Yoko Taro? What are his creative sensibilities?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoko_Taro

The short version: he's an avant garde game designer and writer who usually breaks genre conventions by having stuff like sad/depressing endings, playable characters that are intentionally sociopaths, having to play through a game multiple times to understand the story from every perspective, etc.

He also loves acting like a weirdo in videos and in interviews, which is usually pretty funny and endearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom