• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

You can't compare reviews like that.
Expectations and standards for Horizon are very different from the expectations and the standards Nier will be measured by.

I'm more alluding to the fact breaking a 90 metacritic in the current climate is not an easy task. So while both games will be measured by differing standards, with the amount of reviewers that add up to a MC score and the diversity within games journalism, you need a hell of a game to break 90.

Even with Platinum handling the gameplay I still expect some B-tier budget jank. I've not personally got a problem with that, but some reviewers coming off something as polished as Horizon to Nier probably will.

TimeSage

Did SE even send a Review copies to gaming sites ?

I'm not. CC was OK, 3rd Birthday was bad to the point of being embarrassing, and Type-0 wasn't much better than that.

He's a bad director, but I definitely don't think that started with XV.
I liked Type-0 and XV but i totally agree. He is really not a great director . All his games shared some awful game desgins and unbalanced Battle systems, but he sure can put some charm in his games.

Eumi

Is there any actual reason why people think this will suddenly start picking up 7's and 8's other than an expectation of ignorance/incompetency from reviewers? There are plenty of examples of obscure Japanese games reviewing poorly with western media yet being received well among fans which go on for their sequels to review much better as they begin to permeate into the mainstream.
This is not an obscure, ultra niche game any more and the demo was received very well.It was even one of the top 10 most anticipated games on gaf for this year and games media have been speaking about it for months along with Nioh as a possible surprise hit for 2017. It's difficult to believe that someone who reviews games for a living won't approach this with an appreciation for Yoko Taro's unique creativity and dark storytelling while Platinum games are already very well renowned and respected.
I think it could hold on 90.
It's a Japanese rpg with an incredibly convoluted cross-media narrative, high skill based combat, questionable character design for some people, created by a man who would rather make an interesting experience than a good game.

I am amazed that we haven't already gotten any negative reviews. All signs point to this game not gelling with certain people. And with the nature of the game being so story sensitive, I and I reckon many others know next to nothing about it, so we can't make our predictions off anything from the game other than the demo, so these signs are all we have to go on.

Come on reviewers, we can hit 95!

Windam

Scaley member
What if this ends up bring a reverse Nier situation where the review scores are good but the game is shit?

Don't think this game deserves a 9/10. Completed the game and its really repetitive. Combat doesn't really evolve at all which is the big selling point of the game, leveling up doesn't really do anything besides stat increases. Wish that leveling up gave some new moves / abilities.

Spoiler part of the game.
9s part of the game really bring it down especially his hacking ability which feels tacked on.

For an rpg the game play is too bare bones to invest in for a lot of hours.

Graphically / art direction it looks great.

Audioboxer

Don't think this game deserves a 9/10. Completed the game and its really repetitive. Combat doesn't really evolve at all which is the big selling point of the game, leveling up doesn't really do anything besides stat increases. Wish that leveling up gave some new moves / abilities.

Spoiler part of the game.
9s part of the game really bring it down especially his hacking ability which feels tacked on.

For an rpg the game play is too bare bones to invest in for a lot of hours.

Graphically / art direction it looks great.

Even although I'm super hyped for Automata, I'll probably pickup and complete Yakuza 0 first. I haven't completed Yakuza 5 yet, but 0 has been getting a ton of praise and is... a prequel.

raven777

Even although I'm super hyped for Automata, I'll probably pickup and complete Yakuza 0 first. I haven't completed Yakuza 5 yet, but 0 has been getting a ton of praise and is... a prequel.

In my opinion both are fantastic games so don't miss out on either of them.

What if this ends up bring a reverse Nier situation where the review scores are good but the game is shit?
It's a much better game than the first. Outside of the music, I'd say it's better in every aspect. And it's not like the OST is bad here either.

Aenima

Why do so many people come in here to tell us it's not going to stay 90+?

Can't we dream?!?!?!?!

I dont even expected the metacritic to reach the 80's much less the 90's, so its pretty cool that at least for some days its one of the highest ranked games on MC this gen :p

I know it will drop once it reach the more mainstream media. Ignorance about the franchise and "bad taste" will take care of bringing the meta score down. Same reason you dont have any Yakuza game in the 90's.

Another 90+ review??? Good... good :D

Aenima

I still don't get this.

Just because the way the game is structured + the past score from the 1st Nier. You need to do multiple runs to see what the game has to offer, and im expecting many of the mainstream reviewers to just do 1 single run, be done with that and give it a score just based on that experience (that is not a representation of the full game) but its gonna happen.

gngf123

I dont even expected the metacritic to reach the 80's much less the 90's, so its pretty cool that at least for some days its one of the highest ranked games on MC this gen :p

Even if it does drop, all signs point to this being a much higher scoring game than its predecessor. There is no reason to expect sub 80.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I predict 84. Would love a 90 tho

This would be Yoko Taro first game to have over 70 right?

jjonez18

I'm with you guys. Just acknowledge that this game having a 94 meta happened. For however long, just know that this was a thing for a Nier game.

LotusHD

Banned
Just because the way the game is structured + the past score from the 1st Nier. You need to do multiple runs to see what the game has to offer, and im expecting many of the mainstream reviewers to just do 1 single run, be done with that and give it a score just based on that experience (that is not a representation of the full game) but its gonna happen.

Meh, this is a completely different beast compared to the 1st Nier and well... all of his past works, namely due to the much more polished gameplay. It's reflected in the scores and good reviews it is getting now. I mean I know there's clearly this sentiment that the reviewers will be too dumb or even too lazy to do the multiple runs, but like... The game clearly tells you that one ending isn't enough. If it was vague that'd be one thing, but I saw the message (from the OT) and you'd have to really try to manage to take it another way. Not to mention that by now, you'd think people would be familiar with his preference for multiple endings. You'd have to be pretty obtuse as a mainstream reviewer to honestly manage to not complete the entire thing.

As for the overall package, yea, 90+ is unlikely, but it has never crossed my mind that it would end up having a score below 80.

Aenima

Even if it does drop, all signs point to this being a much higher scoring game than its predecessor. There is no reason to expect sub 80.

Yes, now im not expecting it to be below 80's, maybe in the house of 85+, but would be great if managed to stay in the 90's.

But my faith in mainstream media is so low regarding some nich games like Nier, that inicially i was expecting the game to maybe have a metascore of 75. Im very glad to see that for the moment it only has gotten great reviews.

But in metacritic the mainstream sites have more weight than smaller sites, so all it takes is one to give it a 5 or 6 to drop the metascore some points. Even HZD got a 5 from some poor clueless soul.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I would have liked the characters to have more definitive themes like in the first game.

Eh....the soundtrack was approached with the intent of having a different feel.

I feel like that was accomplished....2B, 9S and A2 are all uniform enough to not necessarily need individual theme songs

Squire

Banned
Metacritic says 94 now at 6 reviews.

A lot of people are about to learn a lesson that people in the early movie reviews threads in OT know very very well.

Persona 5 will be at least a high 80 too, possibly a 90+ , Japan is flexing right now.

P5 is almost gustsvtird to hit 90 given how well P4G did with those that reviewed it and the press hype for P5.

It might sell like a mainstream game, but the press loves what they've seen of that game.

I've been telling all of my friends about Nier. If it pulls off a 90+, I'll be hyped.

Persona 5 on the other hand..if it scores 90+ on Metacritic, I'll gift the game to a random NeoGAF member. Real talk lol.

EDIT: You all are included in the list! I'll remember this thread lol.

EDIT 2: Putting together the list. Please PM me from this point forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom