• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Samaritan

I'm disappointed he doesn't mention Nier. It would have given credence to my crackpot theory, but also Emil was in love with him.
You're not far off actually. In the Japan-exclusive NieR: Replicant, Emil makes one or two off-hand comments that very much imply that he has feelings for brother NieR. His relationship with papa NieR is a lot more of a familial love, as he clearly looks up to him, but your "crackpot" theory is actually pretty close to canon.

You're not far off actually. In the Japan-exclusive NieR: Replicant, Emil makes one or two off-hand comments that very much imply that he has feelings for brother NieR. His relationship with papa NieR is a lot more of a familial love, as he clearly looks up to him, but your "crackpot" theory is actually pretty close to canon.

Oh, no, I know that.

In the YoRHa stageplay, it's established that the various YoRHa androids were given fake memories and personalities, in order to augment their battle performance. A2 is heavily implied to be based on Kaine, because she says that she remembers living in the middle of nowhere in the countryside with her grandmother.

So my crackpot theory is that 9S is based on Nier.

Samaritan

Oh, no, I know that.

In the YoRHa stageplay, it's established that the various YoRHa androids were given fake memories and personalities, in order to augment their battle performance. A2 is heavily implied to be based on Kaine, because she says that she remembers living in the middle of nowhere in the countryside with her grandmother.

So my crackpot theory is that 9S is based on Nier.
Oh I completely misread your comment. Huh! That's really interesting about the stageplay. I kept hearing people talk about A2 like she's Kainé but I just assumed it was because she was a no-no sense, rough and tumble gal. That's really bizarre. It makes the question of who created YoRHa to begin with all the more pressing.

Oh I completely misread your comment. Huh! That's really interesting about the stageplay. I kept hearing people talk about A2 like she's Kainé but I just assumed it was because she was a no-no sense, rough and tumble gal. That's really bizarre. It makes the question of who created YoRHa to begin with all the more pressing.

The hole goes even deeper when you think about how similar "YoRHa" is to "Yonah" and the fact that in route B a white electronic ghost of a girl who could easily pass as Yonah appears intermittently.

Plus the Library, of course, which was Yonah's favorite place.

Hektor

The hole goes even deeper when you think about how similar "YoRHa" is to "Yonah" and the fact that in route B a white electronic ghost of a girl who could easily pass as Yonah appears intermittently.

Plus the Library, of course, which was Yonah's favorite place.

Where does that happen?

Where does that happen?

Right after the Adam and Eve fight in the spaceship. There's part of her in the frame behind 9S and 2B. Then again when 9S jumps in the flight unit just before the final fight with Eve, she's standing in the hangar near where the questgiver NPC was.

The spaceship one is super subtle. I thought I was losing my mind at first.

When the twins appear at the very end of route B, I immediately assumed that the ghosts were them all along, but they look different from the ghosts.

I'll have to look closer on the replay to see if it's really just the twins whited out.

Hektor

Right after the Adam and Eve fight in the spaceship. There's part of her in the frame behind 9S and 2B. Then again when 9S jumps in the flight unit just before the final fight with Eve, she's standing in the hangar near where the questgiver NPC was.

The spaceship one is super subtle. I thought I was losing my mind at first.

When the twins appear at the very end of route B, I immediately assumed that the ghosts were them all along, but they look different from the ghosts.

I'll have to look closer on the replay to see if it's really just the twins whited out.

I just watched it on YT, it's definitely bio machine gamer girl
j3tLYng.png

Literally the only time i've ever seen her on Playthrough B was during the final cutscene with 9S being dead on the ground.

I wonder how often she's hidden in the frames during the game lol

I just watched it on YT, it's definitely bio machine gamer girl
j3tLYng.png

Literally the only time i've ever seen her on Playthrough B was during the final cutscene with 9S being dead on the ground.

I wonder how often she's hidden in the frames during the game lol

Man, all my crackpot speculah is being shot down left and right. For posterity, I just looked up the hangar scene and it's almost certainly the Terminal too.

RWnNc4x.png

Samaritan

For how much time was spent talking about Eve's draconic design and a mention of Accord before this game came out, I'm surprised how basically none of that came to fruition and actually a little disappointed.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For how much time was spent talking about Eve's draconic design and a mention of Accord before this game came out, I'm surprised how basically none of that came to fruition and actually a little disappointed.

Nier automata is intended to be for new comers as well as a revitalization of Nier. Its clearly building up to something greater as Accord is even mentioned in this game, but this is not the game where they are going to suddenly bring in the mutiverse when its largely about how Androids and machines cope in a world filled with only ghosts

If we get a Grimiore Nier Automata, i'm sure YT will hint about the mysteries hidden behind the curtain

Nier automata is intended to be for new comers as well as a revitalization of Nier. Its clearly building up to something greater as Accord is even mentioned in this game, but this is not the game where they are going to suddenly bring in the mutiverse when its largely about how Androids and machines cope in a world filled with only ghosts

If we get a Grimiore Nier Automata, i'm sure YT will hint about the mysteries hidden behind the curtain

Honestly I just took it as fanservice. If it is something I wouldn't be shocked if we got a drakengard remake/reboot, I added reboot because I just can't see taro not wanting to play with expectations.

Inuhanyou

Honestly I just took it as fanservice. If it is something I wouldn't be shocked if we got a drakengard remake/reboot, I added reboot because I just can't see taro not wanting to play with expectations.

The entire lore of the universe would be fundamentally changed if he rebooted it. I dunno if its possible now with so much history built up

K.Sabot

Found it really easy to draw parallels from Devola / Popola's story to some modern garbage we humans are doing atm involving marginalized humans being forced to feel shame / take responsibility for people that aren't them. That's probably the most on the nose commentary in the game, but it still hit me hard.

Been doing a lot of thinking to try and apply what could have been Yoko Taro's meaning to things in the game here and there. One of my favorite things in games of all time was having my ideas on Drakengard 1 more or less being confirmed years later by an interview with Taro he did for Drakengard 3.

Found it really easy to draw parallels from Devola / Popola's story to some modern garbage we humans are doing atm involving marginalized humans being forced to feel shame / take responsibility for people that aren't them. That's probably the most on the nose commentary in the game, but it still hit me hard.

I was so taken aback by the events following that (everything in the tower + endings) that I completely forgot to really look at that.

Completely agree with what you're mentioning.

one thing that still kinda confuses me...were the yorha androids set up by humans / other prior androids and then taken over by machines or were they created by the machines from the get go?

I keep leaning towards the latter but I cant remember if thats right?

Been doing a lot of thinking to try and apply what could have been Yoko Taro's meaning to things in the game here and there. One of my favorite things in games of all time was having my ideas on Drakengard 1 more or less being confirmed years later by an interview with Taro he did for Drakengard 3.

I think the real game changer on what seems like a typical AI story is that all the situations Taro presents makes you take a step and look back at Humanity and it's existence itself. (Well, our's)

But very good catch on the Devola/Popola situation. I was only seeing it as them seeking redemption for the events prior.

How do you fight the superboss? I kinda know a few details but like, the chapter select menu is a little confusing for picking the right chapter for doing certain things in. I know I did Emil's Memories at some point, does it matter what chapter/character I pick?

ZoronMaro

How do you fight the superboss? I kinda know a few details but like, the chapter select menu is a little confusing for picking the right chapter for doing certain things in. I know I did Emil's Memories at some point, does it matter what chapter/character I pick?

I just came in here to also ask this question. I fought Emil the first time but I can't figure out how to do the second fight.

For what it's worth I have all weapons fully upgraded which is the only thing I know I need to do.

ZoronMaro

Go talk to him in the commercial district

But he's not in the mall? That's what I need to know is what's required to get him to show up there

E: Nevermind after turning the game back on he's there now, but I know for a fact I looked for him there before so I'm not sure what's different now unless it was an odd glitch

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
But he's not in the mall? That's what I need to know is what's required to get him to show up there

E: Nevermind after turning the game back on he's there now, but I know for a fact I looked for him there before so I'm not sure what's different now unless it was an odd glitch

Oh, yeah. Quest triggers are weird in this game like that. All you need is 100% weapon collection and to upgrade them all, as well as beat the previous version of that boss.

Thinking back Emil in this game is masterfully underused. Like lets say you started with automata and rolled your way back to the original, you are a late fan. Emil as a character is a giant blank, he is the mystery that the old fans had playing this game. He is there just enough for old fans to feel nostalgia but loose enough that he could totally be the icon that stays in the series forever.

Jiraiza

Thinking back Emil in this game is masterfully underused. Like lets say you started with automata and rolled your way back to the original, you are a late fan. Emil as a character is a giant blank, he is the mystery that the old fans had playing this game. He is there just enough for old fans to feel nostalgia but loose enough that he could totally be the icon that stays in the series forever.

It always made me wonder if 2B and 9S could've been spared all the suffering had Emil been involved in their struggles. A shame.

Ending E was weirdly positive and happy for a Yoko Taro game. Not that I mind. This game made me far more depressed than any of his other games. Also the music has been stuck in my head, and I've been having dreams about the game.

It wasn't like this even for the original for me!

Hektor

Okabe just confirmed on Stream that the choir singing in Ending E is the entire development team behind the game. Awesome.

Alucrid

Banned
1) was the yorha more than just your bunker? is there anyone above your commander? it seemed like there were more factions when the group of yorha backed you up against the giant emerging from the sea.

2) so the resistance was a part of the yorha plan that preceded the actual yorha model or are they a separate group that they just work in tandem with?

addik

Man, oh man, Ending E... oh man....

Impact was certainly less because I didn't fucking update my PS4 to 4.5, so when I kept on dying and when the pods insisted I needed to be connected to the network, I knew something was up. So, I had to restart and everything.

But, man, when I figured out what it was for... all the feels.

Welp, I gave my save file up to save a lucky bastard but at least someone's going to get the end, and I won't have to be a slave to this game for now.

My save file though...

JayEH

I sucked it up and decided to upgrade all weapons so I've unlocked the final emil fight. I want that to be the last thing I do though so I'm working on the unit data quest but there's no good english resources yet unfortunately.

N° 2048

I sucked it up and decided to upgrade all weapons so I've unlocked the final emil fight. I want that to be the last thing I do though so I'm working on the unit data quest but there's no good english resources yet unfortunately.

I'm confused about this, are there two Emil fights?

I don't have all weapons upgraded but can still fight him in front of this house.

addik

Question guys, what was that promise Devola and Poppola mentioned when they helped 9S enter the tower? I can't seem to remember if that was explained at all.

Inuhanyou

Ending E was weirdly positive and happy for a Yoko Taro game. Not that I mind. This game made me far more depressed than any of his other games. Also the music has been stuck in my head, and I've been having dreams about the game.

It wasn't like this even for the original for me!

I think YT is trying to evolve himself as a writer...it sounds weird, but i think not expecting overtly depressing stuff in his games might be the future if he tries to branch out more

I'm confused about this, are there two Emil fights?

I don't have all weapons upgraded but can still fight him in front of this house.

There is an initial boss fight against motor emil and then ending Y

Top Bottom