• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

During today's Nier PAX panel, they showed a recording of Keiichi Okabe talking about what it was like composing the music for Automata. Most of it was fairly standard behind the scenes stuff, but this comment really stood out to me.

Not only did they make the player fight against the developers to keep these characters alive in Ending E, they also added in a chorus to Weight of the World sung by Taro, Saito, and many other Platinum developers.

During today's Nier PAX panel, they showed a recording of Keiichi Okabe talking about what it was like composing the music for Automata. Most of it was fairly standard behind the scenes stuff, but this comment really stood out to me.

Not only did they make the player fight against the developers to keep these characters alive in Ending E, they also added in a chorus to Weight of the World sung by Taro, Saito, and many other Platinum developers.

Okabe is a genius. I hope he doesn't get bored of working with the same person for so long.

Just beat ending E... whew what a fucking ride.

I was wondering how we would get another game but I guess the end to E answers that? I mean in the sense of what a sequel might entail.

But then again we have never seen Taro use the same set of characters twice

Also the Lunar Tear quest legit brought tears to my eyes

Just beat ending E... whew what a fucking ride.

I was wondering how we would get another game but I guess the end to E answers that? I mean in the sense of what a sequel might entail.

But then again we have never seen Taro use the same set of characters twice

Also the Lunar Tear quest legit brought tears to my eyes

Just beat it too. Had to delete my data. It was all just too perfect.

K.Sabot

Okabe is a genius. I hope he doesn't get bored of working with the same person for so long.

taro releases his limiters.

other namco musicians are not allowed to make interesting music despite their requests, example being Motoi Sakuraba who is forced to make a boring ass ost for every Tales of game and his limiter being released was Dark Souls when working with From Software.

I also just finished route E. Beat it in just under 25 hours on normal, did barely any sidequests. Once the story really kicked into gear (Those machines just gave birth?) I kind of didn't care enough to pause. I of course deleted my save file to help out others.

I'll definitely be getting the Steam version during the summer sale, completing all the side stuff will be a lot easier when I already know the ending. I'm also happy Mass Effect comes out in a week... I need a palette cleanser after downing this game in 5 days.

Overall: 9.5/10 for sure. There's so much wacky shit that is great and works so well, with solid gameplay this time too. I loved Nier OG even through all the bullshit, and I'm happy I didn't have to wade through quite so much this time.

You get a bunch of context for some story points via sidequests, so I'd say a second play on PC is a smart move.

If that fixes the lack of info on 2A (prior to route C), Adam + Eve, Emil I'll be very happy.

K.Sabot

I also just finished route E. Beat it in just under 25 hours on normal, did barely any sidequests. Once the story really kicked into gear (Those machines just gave birth?) I kind of didn't care enough to pause. I of course deleted my save file to help out others.

I'll definitely be getting the Steam version during the summer sale, completing all the side stuff will be a lot easier when I already know the ending. I'm also happy Mass Effect comes out in a week... I need a palette cleanser after downing this game in 5 days.

Overall: 9.5/10 for sure. There's so much wacky shit that is great and works so well, with solid gameplay this time too. I loved Nier OG even through all the bullshit, and I'm happy I didn't have to wade through quite so much this time.

You get a bunch of context for some story points via sidequests, so I'd say a second play on PC is a smart move.

Nier automata is intended to be for new comers as well as a revitalization of Nier. Its clearly building up to something greater as Accord is even mentioned in this game, but this is not the game where they are going to suddenly bring in the mutiverse when its largely about how Androids and machines cope in a world filled with only ghosts

If we get a Grimiore Nier Automata, i'm sure YT will hint about the mysteries hidden behind the curtain

wait when is Accord mentioned? How did I miss this.

Just beat it too. Had to delete my data. It was all just too perfect.

Yeah i still have a lot of side stuff I wanna clean up and get all the archives and stuff so I decided to keep it for now. Gonna go back and mess around a lot this week.

Also I just read through this whole thread. I missed some stuff and picked up some of the same things but I am just drained from the endings. I am gonna give my mind a break and dissect some things and then comment on some things in here.

But wow..... I have always loved YT and the Drakengard/Nier series but this game has made these series officially my fav of all time. Which is saying something... like fuck.....

Samaritan

wait when is Accord mentioned? How did I miss this.
She's casually mentioned one time by one of the people at the Resistance Camp. They just mention her name offhand as the person who brings them their weapons, basically confirming how all these various weapons from Drakenier games end up in each other.

She's casually mentioned one time by one of the people at the Resistance Camp. They just mention her name offhand as the person who brings them their weapons, basically confirming how all these various weapons from Drakenier games end up in each other.

Hmm okay. I totally missed that

I am gonna go back into the game this week and try to find everything.

Absol

Might have missed it but at the end the pods said about something about them changing all six of them were connected. There is 2B, 9S, A2, and the two pods. Who is the sixth one?

Jiraiza

She's mentioned in a Weapons Flyer as well.

Might have missed it but at the end the pods said about something about them changing all six of them were connected. There is 2B, 9S, A2, and the two pods. Who is the sixth one?
I don't remember that. Was it talking about the six pods? On a fully complete run, you should have three types of pods, and they come in both 042 and 153 flavor.

Absol

Does the server count?

Hmm probably?

I don't remember that. Was it talking about the six pods? On a fully complete run, you should have three types of pods, and they come in both 042 and 153 flavor.

Oh I'm talking about this part:

83up56r.jpg

I think YT is trying to evolve himself as a writer...it sounds weird, but i think not expecting overtly depressing stuff in his games might be the future if he tries to branch out more

There is an initial boss fight against motor emil and then ending Y

I just did ending Y. Not cool man, not cool.

Gdi, wasn't ready for that.

Hektor

Yeah I know they are the Angelic Letters.

Was just wondering if everyone else saw them as well. Cuz Black Scrawl and all and Drakengard lol

I found it interesting that the machines were using them at all

What i didn't understood was why those were called Meatbox, Soulbox and Godbox, weren't they just collecting random scrap and trash to build more machine lifeforms?

What i didn't understood was why those were called Meatbox, Soulbox and Godbox, weren't they just collecting random scrap and trash to build more machine lifeforms?

Hmmm yeah... well it made sense as i was fighting them on that level since meat box was physical etc..

I'm most confused by Godbox. Does that mean it gives them the ability to create or something? Since meatbox gives them the body and soul box makes them conscious mate godbox connects them to the network? But I thought the tower did that.

Given the Terminals' personality, it might be a statement/joke that meat, souls, and God are all just made up of recycled matter, and that the distinctions between them are arbitrary.

Given the Terminals' personality, it might be a statement/joke that meat, souls, and God are all just made up of recycled matter, and that the distinctions between them are arbitrary.

That could be true. But if the connection between Drakengard is as deep as we think then there is definitely something to it. Especially with the Cult of the Watchers imagery on Eve.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to replay the game on PC but I can't imagine not giving up my save at the end again. It just seemed so natural to me. I guess I could try and really 100% everything before hitting the final ending this time.

I'm frustrated because I want to write so much about this game but I know I'm not able to. The writing was so emotional and full of so many special moments. The ending is perfectly executed tying into a game that is so incredible dense with it's themes and storytelling.

The music is just so amazing I was just constantly in awe really. Not just the quality but the sheer quantity in this game is amazing. The 8bit versions of everything on top is just insane.

I can't wait for the OST, I just hope it really contains everything because there's so much there.

I can't believe this game happened and then also turned out to be something so special

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i'm wondering if the red eye disease has spread even this far into the future through time and space and evolved to become the logic virus

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Okabe just confirmed on Stream that the choir singing in Ending E is the entire development team behind the game. Awesome.

Actually I got Ending E after seeing his bit in the NieR x FFXV stream so I realised at that moment who the choir was, it was a really beautiful idea

Wagram

Finished it last night and I found the story decent overall. I will say though that at the end of the day I preferred OG Nier and Drakengard 3's stories more for the sake of simplicity. Automata throws too many themes at once and then wraps them all up quickly causing a bit of an overload for awhile. I prefer the more simple message with a bang. I found 2B to be kind of disappointing as 92 and A2 had much more story development despite most game time being spent with 2B.

As for gameplay though it's easily the best Drakenier title. OST is god tier.

Jiraiza

Finished it last night and I found the story decent overall. I will say though that at the end of the day I preferred OG Nier and Drakengard 3's stories more for the sake of simplicity. Automata throws too many themes at once and then wraps them all up quickly causing a bit of an overload for awhile. I prefer the more simple message with a bang. I found 2B to be kind of disappointing as 92 and A2 had much more story development despite most game time being spent with 2B.

Don't quite agree there. I think 2B had more development than A2, though second to 9S. It just so happened that her development took place near the end of route A/B and postmortem. Not to downplay her development in route A/B either, since there's the whole transition from being a cold soldier bound to her duty (of killing 9S) to actively protecting him and relying on him later in the game.

As for gameplay though it's easily the best Drakenier title. OST is god tier.

Idk I felt like if anything automata had 1 real point. To me it was a story about how no matter what humanity will creates systems that fail them. It's the moments inbetween the horror that we should live for. Now I'm not saying there weren't other themes in there as well but almost everything else kinda fit into the main theme. But it's all subjective so it's not like a I'm right you wrong kinda thing.

Jocund

PUSH ME TO THE EDGE

ALL MY FRIENDS ARE DEAD

PUSH ME TO THE EDGE

- Route C of Nier Automata as summarized by the hip-hop artist Lil Uzi Vert

Well looks like my cloud save was from saturday. 8u in game, route A. Man this sucks, i mean it's my own fault and it's genius, but man....

Top Bottom