• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm pretty sure the tidal lock is just a joke to explain away not having a day night system.

A pretty funny one too.

The location doesn't make sense. It's so egregiously non-sensical that it has to be intentional. We know that the desert in Automata is located where Facade was in the first game. And we know from various hints in the first game that the first game was set where modern day Japan is. But at the same time, Automata's world has a real-world world heritage German castle five minutes stroll from the desert. So it very clearly does not make sense

Hektor

I wouldn't put too much thought into nier's world as a whole.

They made a bunch of decision that led to an unrealistic world that could never existed the way it does, due to budget constraints and the wish to make the areas look diverse.

I see it more as a surreal landscape symbolic of the world the characters wander through rather than it being an actual, real world.

Golnei

That seems to be the case, but at the same time, they did choose to give A2's descent mission a specific real world location, and maintain the references to a Japanese location in Automata's city ruins - the presence of the desert (which is clearly a desertified former urban area) doesn't really break the premise of it taking place in Japan, considering what they've established of the bizarre climate changes. The world is obviously compressed to a great extent, but I don't think it's completely incoherent - though the castle is the weirdest part. Maybe it's Nier's version of Lockheart Castle?

That seems to be the case, but at the same time, they did choose to give A2's descent mission a specific real world location, and maintain the references to a Japanese location in Automata's city ruins - the presence of the desert (which is clearly a desertified former urban area) doesn't really break the premise of it taking place in Japan, considering what they've established of the bizarre climate changes. The world is obviously compressed to a great extent, but I don't think it's completely incoherent - though the castle is the weirdest part. Maybe it's Nier's version of Lockheart Castle?

A lore note clearly states that the castle is German world Heritage site Schwanstein castle. I looked this castle up when I saw the note in the game, and while there is some confusion about exactly which castle they're referring to (as a few different castles have gone under that name) they are clearly all located in Germany

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is worth to be mentioned here but I didn't want to open a new thread just for this, and it's definitely spoilery to place on the OT.

I've been playing the DLC, and there comes a point where even being level 91 gets you nowhere, so I figured I'd do the bunny exploit. For those not in the know, it's a way to reach level 99 extremely fast:
Use 9S to go to the Amusement Park entrance. Hack into one of the big robots with the top hat, Remote Control it, kill all the others in the area and then aim at the bunny statue and hack it until dead.
Hacking it and killing it gives massive amounts of EXP.

The thing is... I don't think it's working anymore. Mostly because
I find it impossible to lock on the bunny statue, so there's no way to hack it. It DOES appear as an enemy, though.
. Does anyone know if the devs patched this?

It got patched, you can't hack it before it becomes active anymore. You need to just beat on it until it activates and then you can hack it as usual. If you're lv. 91 already getting it to activate won't be an issue at all.

spiritfox

A lore note clearly states that the castle is German world Heritage site Schwanstein castle. I looked this castle up when I saw the note in the game, and while there is some confusion about exactly which castle they're referring to (as a few different castles have gone under that name) they are clearly all located in Germany

I wonder if it's created by the forest machines over the centuries. After all, a king needs a castle. The plaque could be made up since that's what the machines believe all castles have.

The only Schwanstein castle I can find is the Neuschwanstein.

vato_loco

It got patched, you can't hack it before it becomes active anymore. You need to just beat on it until it activates and then you can hack it as usual. If you're lv. 91 already getting it to activate won't be an issue at all.

Wait, so I have to beat the crap out of it until it moves and then hack it? Do I have to hit it with the hacked robot or with 9S?

vato_loco

You can just hit it with 9S, you'll notice that hitting it gives off the same damage sfx as hitting other enemies.

Awesome, I'll give it a shot today. I had my ass kicked so hard in the lvl.99 Colosseum challenges, it wasn't even funny.

Any reccomendations on how to complete them? I haven't been able to fight the two CEOs either.

Awesome, I'll give it a shot today. I had my ass kicked so hard in the lvl.99 Colosseum challenges, it wasn't even funny.

Any reccomendations on how to complete them? I haven't been able to fight the two CEOs either.

For the lv 99 events, no clue

For the CEO battle I figured out you could trivialize the fight by
staying at a distance and using the rocket launcher pod. Just be ready to dodge whenever they reflect some projectiles back at you

Antiwhippy

Oh boy some of this concert stuff discussion lmao.

Not that I blame him because this seems to have been recorded before we got better translations and also before taro's troll got revealed.

kewlmyc

Oh boy some of this concert stuff discussion lmao.

Not that I blame him because this seems to have been recorded before we got better translations and also before taro's troll got revealed.

Don't blame them for being confused since the whole thing is confusing as fuck and unorthodox. Yoko Taro in a nutshell I suppose.

Rookhelm

Can someone explain why "jean-paul" is a copyright issue? His name is written in game, why can't it be spoken?

I don't get the reference

Hektor

Can someone explain why "jean-paul" is a copyright issue? His name is written in game, why can't it be spoken?

I don't get the reference

Not Jean Paul, Sartre is, which is the name he got in the japanese version that is also spoken in the english VA

Re: Locations, Taro has said that the machines have repeatedly rebuilt replicas of old world locations in their quest to understand humanity. That explains why the vehicles in the City Ruins all have 30s/40s 'Streamliner' aesthetics that wouldn't make sense for a city abandoned during the Legion/WCS outbreak.

if you look at the timeline you can see that the 14th Machine War was basically refighting WWII. There's also an Android Gaudalcanal and Normandy landing as well, apparently.

Golnei

But why is Sartre censored though? Is every teen comedy from the 80's that said "Smart move, Einstein!" gonna get sued by the Einstein estate?

The Sartre estate can be problematic.

The Jean-Paul Sartre Experience, later renamed JPS Experience after a lawsuit by the estate of Jean-Paul Sartre
For a week or so, the people at HarperCollins were intimidated. They did not want to be sued. This was Gallimard, the most establishment publishing house in France. This was Arlette, the wealthy heir of the Sartre estate.
"She says if it's smuggled into France in any way, even through Amazon, the English publisher could get sued and they can sue HarperCollins US, and everybody's very unhappy, and therefore, I have to make these cuts."
Ms. Rowley had the full cooperation of Beauvoir's adopted daughter, Sylvie Le Bon de Beauvoir, but none from Sartre's adopted daughter, Arlette Elkaïm-Sartre, who controls the Sartre estate and demanded that the author delete from the book all quotations from the hundreds of unpublished Sartre letters she had been shown. In the North American edition of "Tête-à-Tête," published by HarperCollins, Ms. Rowley has relied on brief quotations or paraphrase. In Europe, where copyright restrictions are tighter, the disputed material has been removed entirely.

Even if it was just a name, I guess they wanted to avoid any potential trouble, especially with Simone de Beauvoir also being namedropped.

Apparently yoko described the concert as having hay fever due to all the sniffles. :p

That's cute and hilarious.

Anyway, looks like the Nier Automata strategy guide has some juicy bits of extra lore. The translation project isn't done yet, but GameFAQs user Merutan (the same person who translated the Memory Thorn and Taro's 50 questions. Bless.) has already translated some snippets:

This is 9S's internal dialogue during the fight with cognitive 2B in his memory circuits. His section of the strategy guide is supposed to be more contemplative than 2B's and A2's. If the rest of it is anything like this section, I'm really looking forward to it.

"YoRHa units black boxes are made from machine cores...!? That's impossible! There's no way that's true..."

It feels like my very existence is at risk. Is this just a lie? Or actually the truth? I have no way to confirm this rush of information flowing into me - things I never wanted to know. The more I know, the more I feel myself approaching something darker in nature, overwhelming my existence. But I have no other path to take, so I hacked the final core I reached and found myself in a nondescript area.

"These are...my memories..? But why..."

I am standing in my own memory region. Fragments of my past are reflected on multiple screens. And standing right in the middle of my memory region is...her.

That's right...this is the one place I can meet her.

"2B's data...even if these are memories, I..."

All the surrounding screens are filled with the memories I have with 2B. No matter where I look, she's there. I approach her on unsteady feet. Just as I reached out to touch her, black noise appeared and mercilessly trampled over my memories.

"Stop it...stop it..."

Everything is fading away. Everything I've treasured. They're falling apart. They're being corroded. They're being taken away.

"Stop it!!!!"

I swung my sword at the black shaped humanoid that overtook 2B. I screamed and cried, swinging my sword heedlessly and tearing everything apart.

"Stay the hell out of my god damn memories! These belong to me and me alone! Get away from them!"

The pod warns me of damage to my memory region, but I don't give a damn right now. I don't give a damn right now. I straddled the prone figure and thrust my sword into it. Over, and over, and over again. My screams are not stopping. The thing beneath my body took 2B's form as my stabs drew blood. But she doesn't even smile. She has a blank expression, her body cold like a doll. But the feeling of my sword sinking into her is much too real and vivid.

My crazed screams turn into broken laughter in my throat.

"Ha....hahaha.......haha!!"

My tears have all dried up. My heart is torn.

I'm breaking.

Only silence remains as the unit beneath me ceased functioning, its core losing light.

That's enough. Let's bring an end to this. To this world...and to me.

:(

Merutan also mentions that the reason 9S goes off the handle at A2 and the 2B duplicates is that they have 2B's face, but they aren't her. Reminds me of the Romeos and Juliets play, where the Romeos and Juliets try to settle who is the "real" one with a pit fight. Kinda like A2 and the clones are infringing on 2B's right to be the "real" one, because they're alive and his 2B is dead.

Also, the strategy guide reveals in a novella that the Moon Base is manned by one H type unit and her Pod, who has about 100 iterations instead of Pod 042's and 153's three bodies. Which would explain why the supply rockets to the moon are so empty; it's practically a two woman show up there. Well...maybe one woman, after the logic virus backdoor opens...

Also, the official timeline reveals there was an all male YoRHA squadron formed soon after 9S was developed, but they seem to have found out the truth about the black box and defected to join the Machine Lifeforms. I wonder if they're going to get a novella or something; sounds like there's a cool story there.

Antiwhippy

The great thing about that scene is that you didn't really need that internal monlogue that lays things out in detail, it already shows all of that in the context of what is shown on screen and through the acting.

This game in general is pretty great at knowing when to not go into detail and just let the scene speak for itself. Though some scenes could probably use more details lol.

The great thing about that scene is that you didn't really need that internal monlogue that lays things out in detail, it already shows all of that in the context of what is shown on screen and through the acting.

This game in general is pretty great at knowing when to not go into detail and just let the scene speak for itself. Though some scenes could probably use more details lol.

Yeah, the cutscene direction in this game and body language of the characters was really well done. But I do like the word choice and cadence of 9S's personal thoughts here. I think lines like "this is the one place I can meet her" and "My tears have all dried up. My heart is torn. I'm breaking." are great.

Which cutscenes, perchance?

Also, something else I thought that was interesting. Since each POV character has a section in the guide detailing their thoughts, we get to see 9S's take on the end of Route B. I know in the concert scripts, 9S describes being with 2B is like having a family... but according to Merutan's impressions, 2B strangling 9S to death might have been the turning point for 9S's feelings to... well...

LotusHD

Banned
Also, the official timeline reveals there was an all male YoRHA squadron formed soon after 9S was developed, but they seem to have found out the truth about the black box and defected to join the Machine Lifeforms. I wonder if they're going to get a novella or something; sounds like there's a cool story there.

I need to know more.

EDIT:

I haven't been this into a character's body language since Uncharted/Last of Us

Antiwhippy

Yeah, the cutscene direction in this game and body language of the characters was really well done. But I do like the word choice and cadence of 9S's personal thoughts here. I think lines like "this is the one place I can meet her" and "My tears have all dried up. My heart is torn. I'm breaking." are great.

Which cutscenes, perchance?

I feel like the flashbacks when 2B was revealed to be 2E could use a voiceover of 2B during those scenes just to clear up why those scenes were shown. More people than not seems to think it's meant to show the times 2B was wiping 9S but it's not really, but I can see why.

I feel like the flashbacks when 2B was revealed to be 2E could use a voiceover of 2B during those scenes just to clear up why those scenes were shown. More people than not seems to think it's meant to show the times 2B was wiping 9S but it's not really, but I can see why.

That's fair. I do feel like stuff from the Memory Cage/Thorn would've been good to allude to/show ingame, since they really help explain 2B's and 9S's motivations/unusual relationship.

Speaking of extra stuff, the concept art for merchant Emil is giving me a fucking heart attack.

UySDBX9.jpg

There's more scans of the concept art here. I think all the designs they initially had for N2 were really great. 2B also had a design featuring a Scanner model-like coat. It was a really good look. Personal head-canon for #2's appearance confirmed. (Since it's kind of implied that her abilities were scanner-like.)

The concept art for the Commander is also giving me a heart attack, but like...a good one. I'm so sad glasses Commander isn't canon.

Antiwhippy

Wait, these are all in the strategy guide and not the world guide art memorial?

Goddamnit, I only have the world guide on order. :<

That's fair. I do feel like stuff from the Memory Cage/Thorn would've been good to allude to/show ingame, since they really help explain 2B's and 9S's motivations/unusual relationship.

Speaking of extra stuff, the concept art for merchant Emil is giving me a fucking heart attack.

UySDBX9.jpg

There's more scans of the concept art here. I think all the designs they initially had for N2 were really great. 2B also had a design featuring a Scanner model-like coat. It was a really good look. Personal head-cannon for #2's appearance confirmed. (Since it's kind of implied that her abilities were scanner-like.)

The concept art for the Commander is also giving me a heart attack, but like...a good one. I'm so sad glasses Commander isn't canon.

Jesus christ why is the one on the right exposing himself :lol

Golnei

The Dwarf-Gekko Emil train is amazing, but the simpler concept they went with in the actual game was a stronger fit.

Also, I'm not sure why a larger group of male YoRHa was necessary, even just in the backstory - their whole look just doesn't work on men, and the integration of male scanner units was just enough to complicate the 'all-female organisation' composition without shifting focus. At least they'll probably never show up in anything to a major extent.

"What're ya BUYIN'?!?!?!?"

Antiwhippy

The Dwarf-Gekko Emil train is amazing, but the simpler concept they went with in the actual game was a stronger fit.

Also, I'm not sure why a larger group of male YoRHa was necessary, even just in the backstory - their whole look just doesn't work on men,

Tempted to post some 9S fanart that may or may not be appropriate.

Golnei

More like 9S in various 2B and operator outfits.

I believe there's fanart of him as Kaine, too...

My point was always that adult men would be a horrible match with YoRHa's doll-like look, whereas the child-like Scanners aren't. Maybe if that all-male unit were of similar models to the Scanners, it'd be okay.

Though if that were the case, they had a perfect opportunity to force us to kill boatloads of child soldiers again,but ignored it...

Are 2B and 9S a couple irl? He just called her babe on twitch. They're also playing OG Nier too, voicing all the non voice scenes. Kira voicing the twins is cute.

My point was always that adult men would be a horrible match with YoRHa's doll-like look, whereas the child-like Scanners aren't. Maybe if that all-male unit were of similar models to the Scanners, it'd be okay.

YoRHa's look takes a lot of inspiration from EGL/Aristocrat fashion. The more male oriented version of this look is called ouji. (Prince)

So if we see any more male YoRHa members, I would expect they would wear stuff like this:

Top Bottom