• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Do golden enemie go away because I'm doing the wandering couple mission and can't interact with the npc because it goes into battle. Only level 20 and can't be bothered taking them on as 2b.

Jiraiza

Can anyone confirm whether 9S receives the mail from the Commander about the Resistance member and the S model he brought back getting killed in the desert in the Confidential Intel sidequest?

Supposedly only 2B gets it, and if that's true, damn, that's some attention to detail and another subtle nod to her being 2E.

It's the little things, man.

LotusHD

Banned
Can anyone confirm whether 9S receives the mail from the Commander about the Resistance member and the S model he brought back getting killed in the desert in the Confidential Intel sidequest?

Supposedly only 2B gets it, and if that's true, damn, that's some attention to detail and another subtle nod to her being 2E.

It's the little things, man.

Wait wha...

Jiraiza

Wait wha...

Welp, nevermind. Just checked through one of my videos, and 9S does in fact get the mail.

Actually, I got things confused. It's the YoRHa Deserters quest that only 2B gets mails for. Duh. In hindsight, it makes sense, but it didn't really hit me until now.

Did the broken down Engel remind anyone else of this guy?
2WPnyqs.jpg

Hey guys, I had a tattoo idea last night but forgot what the saying was -.-

So, what is your favorite line from this game? Might spark my memory.

Pisseth off!

Well, um...the last 10 mins of getting D and E back-to-back was a rollercoaster of emotions like none other. Going from 9S remembering his birth/creation and the true purpose of the tower, to the frustration of shooting the credits and the bullet hell gets real intense deeper into the sequence, the relief of receiving encouragement and assistance from other players(?), to ultimately the conclusion that Pods 042 and 153 come to after supporting the three YoRHa units and sharing information with each other over time.

It's some really beautiful shit, fam.

Just started Route B........no. I am done. I refuse to replay this. I am not a fan of this style of game design. If only steam refunds extended beyond two hours of play time. I do not feel like being story blocked behind content I have absolutely no desire to replay. I could forgive this kind of thing with Way of the Samurai where the replay didn't take more than 2 hours, but this....no.

Moaradin

Just started Route B........no. I am done. I refuse to replay this. I am not a fan of this style of game design. If only steam refunds extended beyond two hours of play time. I do not feel like being story blocked behind content I have absolutely no desire to replay. I could forgive this kind of thing with Way of the Samurai where the replay didn't take more than 2 hours, but this....no.

Route B is a lot quicker than the first time and has a good amount of new content as well.

Route B is a lot quicker than the first time and has a good amount of new content as well.

Yeah, I get that there are new sidequests solely for 9S, but I cannot abide rehashing old content like this. I uninstalled the game as soon as I found out I would be re-treading much of the same terriroty. Someone else in this thread said it amounts to something like 60% of the content being the same. Yeah, I know where to go this time around and I could probably cut my time in half, but I am not wasting darn near four hours of my life like that.

SkylineRKR

I don't like 9S gameplay, so B is a low point for me as well. Good shmup parts though and lots of lore to be found. C is far better so I'd stick with it.

But I prefer how NieR 1 did it. You didn't play the whole first half again, which you're doing in B (apart from a few scenes). I wouldn't mind it if B was reduced to, say, the latter half. And then C extended to make up for it (more A2).

As great as this game is, 9S is the main char for the most time and his fighting is shit. I believe this is why EZA docked half a star and I agree.

Moaradin

Yeah, I get that there are new sidequests solely for 9S, but I cannot abide rehashing old content like this. I uninstalled the game as soon as I found out I would be re-treading much of the same terriroty. Someone else in this thread said it amounts to something like 60% of the content being the same. Yeah, I know where to go this time around and I could probably cut my time in half, but I am not wasting darn near four hours of my life like that.

There's a lot of new sidequest, but the story has a significant amount of new stuff as well. Not only do you get more context for old stuff, but it actually diverges at some point and becomes completely new (you can probably guess where with what we know happens to 9s throughout the game.)

After that, there's no more repeated stuff.

LotusHD

Banned

There's new content in Route B, and everything in Route C and onwards is new.

But hey, you do you I guess...

Ruff

Is the cycle stopped by ending E? I can't recall if we actually did anything to end it in either C or D. I think we got the red girls to kill themselves (I think they were the ones responsible for setting up the androids in the first place to force the machines own evolution through struggle??) but I'm not sure if there's just going to be another fake machine war in the future again with a whole new Yorha.

Slater

Banned
Is the cycle stopped by ending E? I can't recall if we actually did anything to end it in either C or D. I think we got the red girls to kill themselves (I think they were the ones responsible for setting up the androids in the first place to force the machines own evolution through struggle??) but I'm not sure if there's just going to be another fake machine war in the future again with a whole new Yorha.

Machines didnt set up the androids, other androids made Yorha, both sides are perpetuating the cycle though

So was the tower actually aimed at the moon or space for travel? Will we ever learn more about the moon? Is there a chance there's more secrets to discover?

Ruff

Machines didnt set up the androids, other androids made Yorha, both sides are perpetuating the cycle though

Oh. This is why I hate stuff getting explained during battles since I can't pay attention to both :( Guess i'll watch the ending again to see what I missed

SkylineRKR

So was the tower actually aimed at the moon or space for travel? Will we ever learn more about the moon? Is there a chance there's more secrets to discover?

I think it initially wasn't. But the red girls changed their mind after seeing Androids will to live. They wanted to see how far it evolved. The tower was then changed to to send data in outer space, in order to inhabit other planets. This is the main purpose of Adam and Eve, starting new life.

Baalzebup

Woosh, this game was really an emotional rollercoaster. Plenty of good laughs, likable characters and quite a few moments that made me quite emotional.

Stuff like 2B stuggling to make it to the shopping area while infected and then dying there. I honestly expected someone to swoop in and save her from the infection. Having to kill 6O who had clearly been crushing a bit on 2B. Reading up on what these particular Devola and Popola had been through and their actually programmed need to constantly seek atonement. The endgame involving Pascal's village. Walking out on Pascal was fucking savage and I honestly straight out loaded and re-did that part to grant him oblivion via memory wipe. Getting 2B's message to 9S from her Flight Unit at the coast.
meh, felt way worse for 210, 6O was a clingy loser who couldn't get laid on a base full of ladies.
Wow, you jump on landmines like a professional. I've nothing against 21O, but actually shitting on 6O. Not cool.

Chinner

Banned
Your loss really.

I knew Jackass was the best NPC when I read her last message concerning the truth of what happened to humanity.

She really has a way of words. That message sold me on her as well. It's a shame we didn't get more stuff on her and the commander. The commander really didn't have much of a role thinking back on it. Was a shame as well because she had unique position in the yohra business.

Slater

Banned
Wow, you jump on landmines like a professional. I've nothing against 21O, but actually shitting on 6O. Not cool.

Lmao I was joking, mostly.

It's just 6O is cute but there really isn't much to her, like at all, she gets rejected then immediately treats 2B like a desperate rebound. 210 has much more going on and her actual end is much more tragic to me

LotusHD

Banned
She really has a way of words. That message sold me on her as well. It's a shame we didn't get more stuff on her and the commander. The commander really didn't have much of a role thinking back on it. Was a shame as well because she had unique position in the yohra business.

Yea, characters like her and Devola and Popola, I would've loved to have spent more time with them.

It's just 6O is cute but there really isn't much to her, like at all, she gets rejected then immediately treats 2B like a desperate rebound. 210 has much more going on and her actual end is much more tragic to me

I didn't give a shit about 210, that was the one boss fight where I didn't really feel much of anything. I'm like "Well this is awkward..." Guess it would've been aided if I did the sidequest for her though.

60 was great in that the little that was there was incredibly endearing regarding her interactions with 2B. Plus her VA is awesome lol

Baalzebup

You aren't wrong about their ends. 6O was kind of just part of the general Operator chaff you scythe down while escaping and thus kind of blends in with the situation. 21O gets a solo send-off, doubled with the scene being about A2 once again killing someone dear to 9S. And one kind of gets the picture that 21O got the combat type change done to her so she can come to the ground and help protect 9S whom she feels protective over. So yeah, definitely more tragic and personal.

But I just liked 6Os chatter and personality more.

Yea, characters like her and Devola and Popola, I would've loved to have spent more time with them.

I didn't give a shit about 210, that was the one boss fight where I didn't really feel much of anything. I'm like "Well this is awkward..." Guess it would've been aided if I did the sidequest for her though.

60 was great in that the little that was there was incredibly endearing regarding her interactions with 2B. Plus her VA is awesome lol

Unfortunately for 210 she came when pascal had his moment and everyone including 2b was dead so all I could think was that it wasn't going to go any other way.

Think devola and popola were used well enough because it didn't isolate new players entering but gave the fans of the original enough exposure. Made me feel more sympathy for the original Nier twins.

6O and 21O are both great, but 6O mostly serves as insight into life on the Bunker and to flesh out 2B. 21O asserts herself as her own character with a clearly defined arc.

In that regard, it's fitting that 6O dies unseen among the residents of the Bunker, whereas 21O gets sent off as individual.

Baalzebup

°°ToMmY°°;232380034 said:
Inside the commercial center there's a locked door on top of a set of stairs. Did someone manage to open it?
You need to do a quest for Emil, look for some flowers. He'll hand you a key once you're done with that part.

There's new content in Route B, and everything in Route C and onwards is new.

But hey, you do you I guess...

My post acknowledged the new content. My problem isn't that there is new content, its that I am being forced to re-do old content and sacrifice time to get content that shouldn't be gated through a replay, in my opinion. I dislike that design style. I'm sure the content is great, I just object to that presentation style. I have better things to do that sit through that and waste my time.

LotusHD

Banned
My post acknowledged the new content. My problem isn't that there is new content, its that I am being forced to re-do old content and sacrifice time to get content that shouldn't be gated through a replay, in my opinion. I dislike that design style. I'm sure the content is great, I just object to that presentation style. I have better things to do that sit through that and waste my time.

Wasn't a waste of time to a lot of us, and it's pretty reductive to refer to it as gating away new content, but like I said, you do you lol

The talk of 2B being cliche tsundere in the OT is painful to read after clearing Route C.

Yea...

ramyeon

What did everyone think of how they handled Devola and Popola here? I loved how they played with expectations and made them good. Their relationship was really well done and the visual novel part about their life and how they suffered because of the models in the original Nier was pretty heartbreaking.

Wagram

What did everyone think of how they handled Devola and Popola here? I loved how they played with expectations and made them good. Their relationship was really well done and the visual novel part about their life and how they suffered because of the models in the original Nier was pretty heartbreaking.

Perfection. That novel was the best part of the game for me.

LotusHD

Banned

They got me good. I did a sidequest for them, and completing it gave out ominous music, which further led me to believe that they were ultimately up to no good. So to have all of that subverted was just genius, and made them perfect sense, because yea, I could easily envision a world where they'd be endlessly discriminated just for looking like the ones from the first game. What pissed me off though that was the part of how they programmed them to feel eternally guilty over this; just fucked up, and yet it is a rather effective "punishment" considering they are androids.

Said programmed guilt also leads them to help 9S out, which is ironic in its own way, because 9S intended on getting rid of everything, meaning they would've essentially fucked up again if he got his way. Also loved how this time around, Popola died first.

I wish we got some more time with them. Didn't have to be be too much, maybe see them as much as we did with Jackass and the Commander. I felt like that was the one thing that people who hadn't played/watched the first game would appreciate nearly as much, especially if they missed out on the sidequest.

Moaradin

I thought it was great. Perfect use of their little screen time. Very satisfied with it.

Top Bottom