• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

ramyeon

Perfection. That novel was the best part of the game for me.
It was definitely up there for me too, amazing what they manage to do with the text only sections here.
They got me good. I did a sidequest for them, and completing it gave out ominous music, which further led me to believe that they were ultimately up to no good. So to have all of that subverted was just genius, and made them perfect sense, because yea, I could easily envision a world where they'd be endlessly discriminated just for looking like the ones from the first game. What pissed me off though that was the part of how they programmed them to feel eternally guilty over this; just fucked up, and yet it is a rather effective "punishment" considering they are androids.

Said programmed guilt also leads them to help 9S out, which is ironic in its own way, because 9S intended on getting rid of everything, meaning they would've essentially fucked up again if he got his way. Also loved how this time around, Popola died first.

I wish we got some more time with them. Didn't have to be be too much, maybe see them as much as we did with Jackass and the Commander. I felt like that was the one thing that people who hadn't played/watched the first game would appreciate nearly as much, especially if they missed out on the sidequest.
Yeah the guilt being programmed into them was all kinds of messed up.

I spent all of Route A wondering when on earth we'd get to interact with them haha. Was good to have them fleshed out a bit more in Route C with the side quest and then fully explored in the visual novel.

Jiraiza

Yeh 2B lived a hard life.

There's an updated one.

9x0WdE0.jpg

LotusHD

Banned
It was definitely up there for me too, amazing what they manage to do with the text only sections here.

Yeah the guilt being programmed into them was all kinds of messed up.

I spent all of Route A wondering when on earth we'd get to interact with them haha. Was good to have them fleshed out a bit more in Route C with the side quest and then fully explored in the visual novel.

Yea when you first meet them, I'm like "This is weird..."

There's an updated one.

"I liked that the final horrific revelation revolves around the role of Unit E.

Yet Ending E is their salvation in the end"

giphy.gif

Wagram

No shame in buying a few of these trophies. I don't feel the need or any satisfaction in killing 50 enemies while in Berserk status.

All right, two things I'm not entirely clear on:

1. Why does 2B have to keep killing 9S? I gathered it's because he's too smart for his own good but wasn't entirely sure.

2. So the pods... evolve sentience just like the androids and machine lifeforms did... and decided to say fuck it to Project YoRHa? I like that ending a lot.

Amazing game anyway.

ramyeon

Thanks for the warning but I wanted to know the deal with the robots during the peace treaty. Were they being manipulated by Eve? that part didn't exactly come off clear to me.
You should ask with marked spoiler tags in the OT - there are huge spoilers even on this page that you would be best avoiding.

LotusHD

Banned

1. Why does 2B have to keep killing 9S? I gathered it's because he's too smart for his own good but wasn't entirely sure.

2. So the pods... evolve sentience just like the androids and machine lifeforms did... and decided to say fuck it to Project YoRHa? I like that ending a lot.

Amazing game anyway.

1. Because he's too smart for his own good, and eventually always finds out the truth.

2. Yes.

Wagram

Amazing game anyway.

1. She's programmed to. One of her high class directives is to kill 9S so he doesn't learn or spread information about the true nature of Project YoRHa.

2. Pretty much. Machines, Androids, and the Pods were gaining emotions similar to that of humans and they defied their directive in the end. It's interesting to me that the Pods were the only ones that truly broke free of their creators. The Androids couldn't delete their directive to protect humans so they fabricated a lie that they were alive to boost morale and continue a war. The machines had a directive to destroy the enemy so they NEEDED an enemy. They couldn't annihilate the androids, but they had to destroy at the same time. 2B killed 9S to the end even as a fucking sword.

Yeah, piecing all of that together (as in the above 2B discussion image ) during one's first playthrough reminds that 2B's presence is always felt even when not on screen. Also made me look forward to replaying as 2B not just for her combat or looks but just to spend time again with the character knowing how much more is going on with her internally...and before it all goes fubar.

ramyeon

You'd think they'd just have her scrap him for good somehow if that's the case. Hmm.
I mean he's a high end model so he's extremely efficient on the field, but he's too high end for his own good. So they want him around but just need to take him out and wipe his memory every now and then that's all.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, piecing all of that together (as in the above 2B discussion image ) during one's first playthrough reminds that 2B's presence is always felt even when not on screen. Also made me look forward to replaying as 2B not just for her combat or looks but just to spend time again with the character knowing how much more is going on with her internally...and before it all goes fubar.

I like that this is one of those rare single-player games that you can replay not because you simply want to, but because due to how the story went, there's now obviously all this hidden stuff to look out for regarding 2B's relationship with 9S.

You'd think they'd just have her scrap him for good somehow if that's the case. Hmm.

His model is too valuable, that's why he's still around.

I mean he's a high end model so he's extremely efficient on the field, but he's too high end for his own good. So they want him around but just need to take him out and wipe his memory every now and then that's all.

I think that's where I lost track of things, because it didn't feel like he lost his memory at all? He seems to remember the events of the prologue just fine in Chapter 1, and in Route C he still knows the truth of humanity's extinction even though 2B killed him.

Wagram

I think that's where I lost track of things, because it didn't feel like he lost his memory at all? He seems to remember the events of the prologue just fine in Chapter 1, and in Route C he still knows the truth of humanity's extinction even though 2B killed him.

He's been killed by 2B in the past. His memory has been wiped a few times, but over the course of Automata he has the same memory excluding the prologue.

ramyeon

There's no reason for his memory to be wiped after the prologue. He didn't find out anything. The only reason he lost a bit of his memory there is because he didn't have time to upload his memory banks to the Bunker. This upsets 2B (You see her clench her fist when she finds out at the start) because she is sensitive to him losing memories because they have done it to him several times before the game starts.

They didn't wipe his memory at the end of Route A. He uploaded himself to the machine network and they could recover his memory banks that way. 2B also didn't know he knew the truth at the point, he hesitated about telling her and never got the chance to before she gets infected and killed by A2.

He's been killed by 2B in the past. His memory has been wiped a few times, but over the course of Automata he has the same memory.
There's no reason for his memory to be wiped after the prologue. He didn't find out anything. The only reason he lost a bit of his memory there is because he didn't have time to upload his memory banks to the Bunker. This upsets 2B (You see her clench her fist when she finds out at the start) because she is sensitive to him losing memories because they have done it to him several times before the game starts.

Ahhh righto. Thanks guys!

I'm not going to do it any time soon - I have Yakuza 0 to play now, and I just dumped 45 hours into Nier - but I'll definitely be back in this before the year's over. Wanna see all the foreshadowing aha.

Slater

Banned

Uhhhhh, did you just miss the explicit conversation they have on the bunker where she thanks him for backing up her data and he explicitly says he doesn't remember the prologue and they fucking zoom in on 2B angrily clenching her fist at that?

Squire

Banned
What did everyone think of how they handled Devola and Popola here? I loved how they played with expectations and made them good. Their relationship was really well done and the visual novel part about their life and how they suffered because of the models in the original Nier was pretty heartbreaking.

That their guilt was merely programming is one of the biggest gut punches in the game.

Uhhhhh, did you just miss the explicit conversation they have on the bunker where she thanks him for backing up her data and he explicitly says he doesn't remember the prologue and they fucking zoom in on 2B angrily clenching her fist at that?

That scene was like a week ago, in my defence :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That their guilt was merely programming is one of the biggest gut punches in the game.

well i guess it had to come from somewhere, since they never would have known about project gestalt otherwise, they needed a way to bring it up with song of the ancients so we could go crazy

SkylineRKR

What did everyone think of how they handled Devola and Popola here? I loved how they played with expectations and made them good. Their relationship was really well done and the visual novel part about their life and how they suffered because of the models in the original Nier was pretty heartbreaking.

Amazing.

They seem unreliable at first and you know them from NieR. But the originals failed with Project Gestalt. So the rest were branded outcasts. They were even implemented with this feeling of failure and guilt. The visual novel was icing on the cake.

ramyeon

well i guess it had to come from somewhere, since they never would have known about project gestalt otherwise, they needed a way to bring it up with song of the ancients so we could go crazy
Why wouldn't they have known what Project Gestalt was? They were the overseers of the Project in a different city from the twins in the original Nier.

Squire

Banned

He's been killed by 2B in the past. His memory has been wiped a few times, but over the course of Automata he has the same memory excluding the prologue.

Little things imply he may have a core memory and some bits of the truth/2Bs kill directive have seeped into it across the repeated deaths.

That probably makes his descent into madness even harder. It's one thing to suspect, it's another to be presented with irrefutable evidence as the world comes crashing down around you.

As someone who never played Nier, they did a good job of making Devola and Popola shifty as heck for newcomers, too. Mainly via their shitty attitudes when you first run into them as 2B.

On a similar note, Emil is very endearing. I really wanted to see his quest but 100% weapon completion, noooooooooo thank you. Not grinding for drops. I'll just take destroying him outside his home.

Jiraiza

I wanted more drunk Devola. but that may be just me.

As someone who never played Nier, they did a good job of making Devola and Popola shifty as heck for newcomers, too. Mainly via their shitty attitudes when you first run into them as 2B.

On a similar note, Emil is very endearing. I really wanted to see his quest but 100% weapon completion, noooooooooo thank you. Not grinding for drops. I'll just take destroying him outside his home.

Do you actually have to upgrade the weapons, or just collect them? I deleted my save before I could find out.

Absol

You don't have to grind for materials to upgrade your weapons. You can buy them all from Emil and various NPCs.

ramyeon

Holy shit. I just read somewhere that A2's personality was based off of Kaine. I didn't even connect the two but it kind of makes perfect sense now.

SkylineRKR

I think some pod materials are loot only, such as Pure Water and those elaborate things.

As for weapons, yeah you can probably buy all of them. The Amusement park dude sells quite a bit, Emil does and Pascal sells parts of... well, parts.

Joe Molotov

Finding the recorded audio message at the coast while playing as 9s in route C tore my soul to shreds.

Poor 2B

Yeah, it's on the shore to the right in the Flooded City, right after you pass through the area with the building and the waterfalls. It's 2B's final message to 9S after she forced his ship to leave combat and before she crashed.

yes its in the flooded city.

Also the twins knew about Project Gesalt, there novel literally has the, as overseers of Replicants

Nice one. Going to try and get all the locked chests that I didn't bother with the first time. Got what I saw but never backtracked for any specific chest.

Inuhanyou

Why wouldn't they have known what Project Gestalt was? They were the overseers of the Project in a different city from the twins in the original Nier.

because the cant remember, their minds got wiped supposedly. They say that themselves.

Now if they actually did remember and just lied to us(the player) earlier in the game to be mysterious that would be one thing

ramyeon

because the cant remember, their minds got wiped supposedly. They say that themselves.

Now if they actually did remember and just lied to us(the player) earlier in the game to be mysterious that would be one thing
Ah yep, no you're right. They did get their memories wiped yeah.

Pretty crushing that they feel such guilt over something they didn't do and can't even remember why people hate them so much.

Squire

Banned
Ah yep, no you're right. They did get their memories wiped yeah.

Pretty crushing that they feel such guilt over something they didn't do and can't even remember why people hate them so much.

Pretty solid parallel to IRL racism. Notice that they're wandering, like "gypsies".

ramyeon

Pretty solid parallel to IRL racism. Notice that they're wandering, like "gypsies".
Yeah, a lot of the metaphors in this game work really well. These aren't themes that haven't been explored before using similar settings (The robot/racism thing is honestly done to death) but I've rarely seen it done this well.

Inuhanyou

That feeling when your going through weapon stories and suddenly realize out of the blue...every single Virtuous weapon story is a spoiler of 2B's backstory and feelings for 9S.

WHAT.

EVERY

SINGLE

ONE

Top Bottom