• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS into Dreams HD |OT| Dreaming of snow, sparkles, and nightmares [Control patch]

iavi

Please be as good a PC port as JSR. Which means run at max w/AA on any machine made in the last 5 years.

Almost bought the Wii game today. That one worth playing?

Don't do this to yourself. While it is laugh-out-loud bad in most parts it's just... man. How could they go so wrong? I found myself thinking "they should really make another Nights" the other day, then I realized they did and I had just blocked out the memory of playing it. There's a few levels that play like classic Nights, then there's really bizarre "fly through the rings Octopaw leaves behind!" and "save the Nightopians from going off a bridge in their roller coaster cart!" levels. And Nights talks... :( ughhhh that game pissed all over my childhood. 80% of it is just no fun. Can't wait for this beautiful port of the original.

ShadiWulf

I take it that means if you like either of the following:

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic and the Black Knight

give it a shot.

You forgot Shadow the Hedgehog, the game that was developed right before Journey of Dreams by the same studio that made Journey of Dreams, Sonic Team USA, headed by Takashi Iizuka.

Gotchaye

I got decent at this game back in the day. But I don't think I ever figured out how to beat the Reala boss battle. I just charged at her and mashed buttons and sometimes I'd win quick and get a good overall score for the level.

Will definitely consider on Steam since my Saturn's busted.

ShadiWulf

How could I forget? I actually didn't know that, though.

don't wanna go off topic, but here is a quick history lesson

Sonic Team USA / Sega Studio USA
1999 - 2008

Sonic Team USA was the United States division of Sonic Team located in San Francisco, California. The division was formed in 1999. All of the team members that worked at Sega Studio USA were Japanese, with the exception of Brad Wagner who was hired at the studio during the development of Shadow the Hedgehog. The division first worked on ChuChu Rocket! and the international release of Sonic Adventure. In 2005, the division changed their official name to Sega Studio USA.

The US branch's first game was the 2001 Dreamcast game Sonic Adventure 2. The newly established Sonic Team USA was so influenced by their new San Francisco location, that the level designers of the game, Takashi Iizuka and Eitaro Toyoda, designed some of the levels, such as the City Escape, Mission Street, Radical Highway, Route 101, and Route 280 levels as references to major San Francisco locations. The City Escape level resembles the steep, downhill roads of the city.

In 2002, Sonic Team USA ported Sonic Adventure 2 to the Nintendo GameCube, the first home console Sonic title to appear on a major non-SEGA system following the cancellation of the Dreamcast. They had 6 months to polish and refine the game for the GameCube. The port was renamed Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, after the added multiplayer mode enhancements. The developers made minor graphical improvements, included additional Chao Garden extras, and added in extra level geometry such as trees. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the only third party game on the GameCube to sell over one million copies in the United States alone.

Their next project was Sonic Heroes, released in 2003. The team wanted to port this game on all platforms to achieve better sales and broaden the fanbase, so they decided to use RenderWare as a game engine to make programming the game on multiple consoles a lot easier, due to the studio's lack of experience developing for the Xbox. The game was released on the GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC platforms.

After Sonic Heroes, Sonic Team USA decided to change their official name to Sega Studio USA. Sega Studio USA went on to make their next multiplatform game, Shadow the Hedgehog, using the studio's own game engine instead of RenderWare. The game was released on the GameCube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox. Despite a largely negative critical reaction, the game sold in excess of a million copies. This helped increase Sega's profits in 2006. The game was notable for including references in the game to past Sonic Team games that some of the members at the studio had worked on.

Members of Sega Studio USA also supervised and designed the concept for Sonic Rivals and Sonic Rivals 2 on the PlayStation Portable although the actual development of the games was done by Backbone Entertainment.

Nights: Journey of Dreams, the sequel to Sega Saturn title Nights Into Dreams was released for the Wii in 2007. A new game engine was designed for the game, which utilises PhysX. The team also decided to not include American influence in the game like some of the modern 3D Sonic games, instead choosing a more British based influence. Following the game's release, Eitaro Toyoda moved back to Sonic Team Japan to work on Sonic and the Secret Rings as a game designer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Team#Sonic_Team_USA_.2F_Sega_Studio_USA

jeremy1456

Gut reaction is to say that you probably don't know how to play it. The game never instructs on how to play it properly. At first the game felt overly simplistic and clumsy, and then after a few hours of experimenting it all clicked.. and then I was treated to one of the most addictive and rewarding experiences I've ever had on a console. Everything comes together so beautifully.

It did not click with me, until oddly, I played Christmas NiGHTs.

Unlocking those rewards is what did it. Now the original is one of my favorite games ever.

IrishNinja

this is gonna be my christmas game this year, i think. can't wait, hoping for a PSN+ discount but honestly the price aint too bad.

@MUWANdo

Banned
this is gonna be my christmas game this year, i think. can't wait, hoping for a PSN+ discount but honestly the price aint too bad.

Sega's been very good about PSN+ support recently, so maybe they'll make it a freebie at some point. Seemed to do well for VF5!

ShadiWulf

Bwahahahahaha, Shadi, I love the image you used for Lord Iizuka-sama. It makes him look so inspirational.

haha, thanks!

I'm tempted to change the text to
"Bonus interview about dream theories and NiGHTS creation with the fearless leader of Sonic Team, Takashi Iizuka!"

what you think? XD

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Checked the cheevo/trophy list. Doesn't seem... that bad. The all A-Rank and a few timing-based ones might be a little iffy just because of being out of practice.

haha, thanks!

I'm tempted to change the text to
"Bonus interview about dream theories and NiGHTS creation with the fearless leader of Sonic Team, Takashi Iizuka!"

what you think? XD
I would not be against this at all!

ShadiWulf

Checked the cheevo/trophy list. Doesn't seem... that bad. The all A-Rank and a few timing-based ones might be a little iffy just because of being out of practice.

I would not be against this at all!

okay, updated it, made it even better!

"Bonus interview about dream theories and NiGHTS creation with the fearless leader and visionary of Sonic Team, Takashi Iizuka / Iizuka-san!"

so..

who likes this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5dJIWZ7s58

it's one of my favorites...

Oh, I do! I listen to it at least once every time I play the game on my Saturn. Haha.

Listening to it right now, still love it. '90s music from Sega was always amazing, I also love all of those vocal songs in their games back then. Hah. It's pretty much the only video game music I randomly listen to outside of when I'm actually playing a game.

televator

Includes Christmas Nights? Shiiiiiiiiieeeet.

I jump in it.
972291_o.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Achievements/Trophies: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/nights-into-dreams/achievements/

the IDEAL 10
Spring Valley cleared.

the POSSIBILITY 20
Mystic Forest cleared.

the CONFUSION 30
Soft Museum cleared.

the AFFECTION 10
Splash Garden cleared.

the CONSCIOUSNESS 20
Frozen Bell cleared.

the REVIVAL 30
Stick Canyon cleared.

the GROWTH 40
Twin Seeds cleared.

into dreams... 50
Cleared all stages with All A Rank.

DREAMY !!! 30
Got best rating "DREAMY" in Acrobat Time.

Paraloop Master 100
Successfully Paralooped all of Gillwing’s tail in one hit.

Mystic Garage 10
Guided the lost car to the garage.

Hello Mepian 40
Witnessed the hatching of Mepian.

Merry Christmas! 10
Spring Valley (Christmas) cleared.

Easy or hard to do?

This is so huge that it's coming to Steam. Day, the fuck, one.

Only wish I could add it to my wishlist. Please actually come out next week on Oct. 2.

Tizoc

Bit of a stupid question but how hard would learning and playing this game be for say 3-6 year olds?

Shiloa

Bit of a stupid question but how hard would learning and playing this game be for say 3-6 year olds?
It depends on your kids I guess.

It requires some decent use of a single analogue stick. Can they play Sonic? This is very similar in that you go left to right and, rather than jumping over obstacles and collecting rings, you fly around to collect orbs. It does have ranking which means you can play it badly and still progress. I remember when I first played it, back when I was 8 years old and I did rubbish at first but I soon mastered it.

Only $10? Neat, I was assuming it was $20. Never played this before; decided to buy it on a recommendation from a friend. Looking forward to it. :D

Dat Gillwing achievement for the 100pts lol.
They should have an achievement for keeping a chain going around the entire course.
Yeah, wow, didn't even see the point number for that one. It's not hard to pull off at all.

And no way is it possible to keep a link going throughout a entire course.

cajunator

Banned
With the recent Daytona USA, JSR, and now NiGHTS releases it really looks like SEGA has actually been listening to the fanbase and that's great. I think NiGHTS was missed by a lot of gamers because the Saturn wasn't successful in the west. This will be a great opportunity for many to finally play the game without having to invest in retro hardware or the abomination that hit the wii.

Honestly I really liked the Wii game (the actual flying levels in it), but I also bought a Saturn specifically to play NiGHTS. Its the absolute best way to experience it. Using that 3D pad the way it was intended is like no other form of control. However I am EXTREMELY excited to play it in HD and see what its like. Is there a definitive version of it or is it the same across both consoles?

Kelthink

Not a joke question: is this coming out on IOS/Android? I feel it could work quite well, albeit without some of the more delicate movements (the ribbon stuff).

Top Bottom